- Text Size +

Chapter 4:


The Concert



A few weeks later, Michael was preparing to go on tour. He was hardly ever home, most of his time was spent out rehearsing and making the final preparations for the tour. I was excited for him and at the same time I was disappointed. He’d be gone for months and I wouldn’t be able to revel in his presence anymore. In the days leading up to the tour I made sure to make the most of the time we had left together.
One evening he came home obviously very tired from rehearsing all day. I met him at the front door when he came in. That day I dressed extra nice for him in a long skirt and camisole top and had my hair tossed to one side.
“Hi Michael,” I said.
He gave me a smile. “Hi Elera.”
“I made you dinner,” I said leading him to the dining room.
He looked very surprised to see the tale set up with a table cloth and dinner plates all set up. “Wow, thanks,” he said pulling out a chair at the head of the table to sit down. I sat next to him and he began to eat the chicken and salad I had spent hours making. “This is really good! You made it?”
I nodded. “Yeah. I’ve never been the best cook but I tried really hard to make sure you were happy when you got home.”
He looked very grateful and it warmed my heart to see him looking at me that way. “Thank you.”
“How was rehearsal?”
“It was great, we got a lot done today.” He went on to tell me about the process of putting the show together and all the little things they tweaked to make it exactly how he wanted them. “I’m kind of a perfectionist. I know the crew hates me for it sometimes, but it’s all worth it in the end when the show is perfect.”
“I wish I could see it. I’ve never been to one of your concerts,” I said wistfully.
“Really?” he said surprised. “How about I give you a free ticket to one of the L.A shows?”
My eyes widened in shock. “You’d do that for me?”
“Of course,” he said simply. “In fact I’ll get one for you and your little sister, and a few of your friends if you want.”
“Michael…that means so much to me. Thank you!”
*WW*


“I can't believe we're going to a Michael Jackson concert!” Britt said.


The day of the show finally rolled around. We were driving to the theater for the show with Rose in the back seat.


“You've said that a million times already,” I pointed out.


“But still, it's crazy! My lifelong dream has always been to see him in concert. I swear you got the hook up when you started working for him.”


“Will we be able to meet him?” Rose asked.


“Of course,” I replied. In reality I want sure if we would be let backstage but Michael knew me. I didn't see any reason why we wouldn't be let backstage to see him after the show.


I didn't know what I was expecting when we got inside but it was crazy. The theater as absolutely packed. Screaming fans were everywhere. Some of them were dressed like Michael. I saw Thriller jackets, white gloves, and fedoras. People had signs and t shirts. EMTs were one the outskirts of the audience. I had never seen anything like it.


“Why are there ambulances? Are people gonna die?” Rose asked.


“Ever heard the phrase die of happiness?” Britt replied.


After ten agonizingly slow minutes the lights dimmed and she show began. The stage lit up with lights and smoke and when Michael appeared onstage the crowd went wild. He was silent for a good two minutes and within that time the audience got louder and louder. Finally the music began and the concert opened with “Dangerous.”


After the concert was over I couldn't believe what I had just seen. The show was the greatest thing I had ever seen in my life. What was even more unbelievable to me was how personally I knew him. I had been in this incredible performers house, I had personal conversations with him, I'd shared dinner with him. It made the moment all the more special to me.


Britt grabbed my arm snapping me out of my trance. “Come  on! We have to go talk to him!”


We menuvered our way through the crowd. We were t the only ones who really wanted to meet Michael. We fourth that he was signing autographs for fans, all of which were crowding around desperately trying to get at least a glimpse of the King Of Pop.


Finally we got within eyesight of him. I waved over the crowd. “Michael! Michael, over here!” I shouted trying to get his attention.


Finally he glanced my way as the security guards were telling people autograph time was over and trying to give him enough space to head backstage. Michael waved me over and the security didn't try to stop us.


We got backstage with him where it was quieter. Britt was for once speechless and Rose looked like she was staring at a God. I spoke for them. “Hi Michael. This is my little sister Rose and this is my best friend Brittany.”  


“It's nice to meet you. Ive heard a lot about you.”


Britt looked at me. “Oh really?”


“Your show was awesome!” Rose Exclaimed.


Michael laughed a bit. “Thank you I'm glad all of you could come today,” he replied.


“You're an awesome dancer and singer, I liked Billie Jean the best,” Rose said as she tried to moonwalk. I made eye contact with Michael and we exchanged an amused look. I was the sister that actually knew how to moonwalk.


“You're really good at it,” Michael said. “All you need now is a hat to throw at the audience.” He took his fedora off his head and placed it on hers. “Keep it.”


Rose looked like she'd died and gone to heaven. “Really?!”


“I've got a couple of them. You can have that one.”


Rose gave him a hug. “Oh thank you thank you thank you!”


“Michael, can we take a picture with you?” Britt asked.


“Of course.”


We took the picture. I didn't want to leave afterwards, but I had to get Rose home to bed.


“We'll see you later Michel. Thank you again for the tickets.”


“No problem Elera. See you later.” He gave us all hugs and I could have sworn mien was a few seconds longer.


We left the backstage area to head out to the car.


As we were walking, Britt leaned towards my ear. “I think he likes you.”


I hoped he did.