- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Things get romantic already around here.

7. INT. CHRISTINE’S LAIR DUSK

A hamster wheel is the focus and it sits under the open slot of the ceiling. ARTHUR is running on the wheel to make it turn. He’s almost out of breath. Sparks of lightning flicker on the top of the wheel.

ARTHUR

With all due respect, your evilness, can’t we just wait ‘til a real storm comes along? The Cave of Wonders will still be there when we do.

CHRISTINE is setting up the ring on the podium staff.

CHRISTINE

Save your breath, Arthur. Faster!

 

ARTHUR

Yes, oh, mighty evil one!

With the faster speed on the way, lightning strikes the ring which powers up the mirror the podium is connected to. The first image is of the Cave of Wonders.

CHRISTINE

Now, tell us, Mirror of Fortunes, reveal who the diamond in the rough is to enter this Cave.

The second image is SAM and CAITLIN climbing up an apartment building with the fire escapes.

CHRISTINE

Yes! There he is, Arthur. My diamond in the rough.

 

ARTHUR

That’s him? That’s the bumbling idiot we have to…

He loses his balance and rolls along the wheel as he screams for CHRISTINE to stop the machine.

CHRISTINE

I think it’s time to invite our little, special someone to the mansion.

She stops the wheel by pulling a lever, and ARTHUR flies out onto the wall.

 

CHRISTINE

Shall we?

 

ARTHUR

Swell. I feel very sick.

FADE scene change happens as CHRISTINE evilly laughs.

SCENE CHANGE: EXT. PRINCETON ROOFTOPS

SAM hops onto the roof and pulls CAITLIN with him.

SAM

We’re almost there.

As she climbs over the edge and trips into his front side.

SAM

Whoa, take it easy, will ya?

As CAITLIN gets up, they stare into each other’s eyes. CAITLIN looks away to spare the awkwardness.

CAITLIN

I want to thank you for earlier when you stopped that man.

SAM

Uh, forget it. It’s no big deal.

SARAH climbs onto his shoulders. SAM takes an old pipe from the side of the rooftop and gets ready to pole vault.

SAM

So, this is your first time around Princeton, huh?

Pole vaults to the roof across from them.

CAITLIN

Was it that obvious?

 

SAM

Well, you do kinda stand out.

CAITLIN blushes and he distracts his embarrassment by setting a plank bridge that connects the two roofs.

SAM

Uh, no, I mean, I don’t think you seem to know how dangerous Princeton could be at times.

CAITLIN pole vaults with another old pipe instead of using the bridge much to SAM and SARAH’s surprise.

CAITLIN

If there’s one thing you should know about me, Sam, it’s that I’m a fast learner.

SARAH is watching CAITLIN drop her pole in disbelief. SAM leans over to his dog.

SAM

Hey, she ain’t that bad.

He steps up to walk to her and SARAH is growling, watching this.

 

SAM

Come on. It’s through here.

They enter through a broken door with a sheet hanging over it and start climbing up.

SCENE CHANGE: INT. SAM’S APARTMENT

SAM

Watch where you step. It’s an uneven walk. Careful.

He picks her up and climbs the rest of the way.

CAITLIN

So this is where you live?

 

SAM

Uh huh. Just Sarah and I. We stay and no one bothers us.

CAITLIN

Oh, that sound great.

 

SAM

Well, that’s because you haven’t seen the best part.

SAM pulls the curtains to the sides to show her the balcony. The mansion is in full view as the sun sets behind it.

SAM

You can’t get a view like this anywhere else, and I bet my life on that.

CAITLIN leans against the railing, sighing and looking away from the mansion.

CAITLIN

Oh, it’s wonderful, alright.

 

SAM

Just imagine what it would be like to live in there. Breakfast in bed, seamstresses making your clothes, men washing your own car.

CAITLIN

Oh sure. You need permission to go somewhere. You have an outfit schedule. Constant diets.

 

SAM

That’s better than livin’ out here. You have sticky fingers and the law constantly on your back.

Takes an apple from SARAH as she’s about to eat it. She growls shortly.

CAITLIN

You don’t have the right to make your own choices though.

 

SAM

Sometimes, you just feel…

 

CAITLIN

You’re just so…

 

BOTH

Trapped.

They stare at each other for a bit until CAITLIN turns away, blushing. SAM takes the last apple from SARAH and tosses it to CAITLIN.

SAM

So…you never said your name or where you’re from.

 

CAITLIN

Does it matter really? I ran away, and I ain’t goin’ home.

After taking a clean bite of his fruit, he puts it back near the dog.

SAM

Really? What happened?

He wraps his arm around her as she trembles.

CAITLIN

My mother is forcing me to marry someone who doesn’t even know me. And each one of them is the same. Selfish, rich, cocky, and lustful.

 

SAM

Jesus, that’s insane.

SARAH is about to take CAITLIN’s apple until…

SAM

Sarah!

The dog barks and growls at him as he pushes her off the railing.

CAITLIN

What? What did she say?

 

SAM

Uhm, Sarah said…That’s not fair.

SARAH barks a “What?”

CAITLIN

Oh, did she now?

 

SAM

Of course. Why wouldn’t she?

 

CAITLIN

Well, what else did Sarah say?

 

SAM

Well, it’s nothing…

 

CAITLIN

No, tell me.

 

SAM

She also said, “Sam, you gotta help this girl.”

SARAH walks back into the apartment, hissing and growling.

CAITLIN

Hmm, well, I want you to tell her that was very…sweet.

 

SAM

I will…after this.

The two leave a sliver of a kiss when they are interrupted by SARAH’s panicked barking.

POLICE OFFICER #1

There you are, peasant!

 

BOTH

They’re after me! They’re after you?

 

CAITLIN

My mother must’ve called them to…

 

SAM

Do you trust me?

 

CAITLIN

What?

 

SAM

Do you trust me?

Hesitantly takes his hand.

CAITLIN

Yes?

 

SAM

Then, jump!

They leap off the balcony into the darkness.

SCENE CHANGE: EXT. ALLEYWAY

They fall onto a large pile of bags of dirt and slide down safely.

SAM

Run! Run!

They cut a few corners until SAM bumps straight into the LIEUTENANT.

LIEUTENANT

We just keep bumping right into each other, do we, street rat?

SARAH attacks right at the arm as a distraction for SAM and CAITLIN to escape. But when they do, a few OFFICERS are waiting for them. They grab onto SAM and keep pushing CAITLIN away.

SAM

What are you doing? Get outta here!

 

CAITLIN

I’m not leaving you!

LIEUTENANT finally gets SARAH off and throws her into a stack of boxes. The one she falls in falls onto the ground. The human with a swollen arm comes out into the street and snickers.

 

LIEUTENANT

Predictable, street rat. I let myself get bit by your mutt for this.

CAITLIN starts punching the wound.

 

CAITLIN

Let him go!

 

LIEUTENANT

Oh, look here, boys. He got himself a Mrs. Street Rat.

Pushes her into a couple of garbage cans. She gets back up angrily as SAM tries to fight himself free.

CAITLIN

I said, “Let. Him. Go!”

Removes hood from her head.

 

CAITLIN

You don’t want to anger the mayor’s daughter, do you?

 

All of the police stop laughing and stand up straight and stiff with the salute to their heads.

 

LIEUTENANT

Miss Caitlin Robinson!

 

SAM

The princess?

 

SARAH barks as if to ask the same thing.

 

LIEUTENANT

What are you doing outside…and and with this street rat?

 

CAITLIN

That is none of your business! Now, you will release him this minute or my mother will have to deal with your police brutality when I get back!

 

LIEUTENANT

Miss Robinson, I would but I’m afraid this is a strict order from Miss Jenner. If you want him to go, you have to compromise with her.

CAITLIN

(Growling)

Believe me, I will.

Chapter End Notes:

Okay, this scene was longer than the rest, but it's worth every line. Again, I'll post the new scene tomorrow.