- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

One of the last two chapters for tonight! Yeah, we're almost done.

22. INT. SECOND FLOOR DUSK

SAM, ALKAZAR, and MICHAEL have just walked up the stairs with CHRISTINE and ARTHUR arguing inside the lamp in SAM’s arms.

CHRISTINE

Get your fat ass out of my face!

 

ARTHUR

Oh, shut the hell up, you moron!

 

CHRISTINE

Don’t tell me to shut up, you son of a bitch!

MICHAEL offers his hands.

MICHAEL

May I?

SAM

I’d be insulted if you didn’t.

SCENE CHANGE: EXT. BALCONY

MICHAEL takes CHRISTINE’s lamp and dresses as a baseball player.

MICHAEL

Couple hundred years in the Cave of Wonders oughta jail her out!

Tosses the lamp and hits it into the forest while the jailbirds scream.

MICHAEL

Home run twice!

SAM smirks. He turns to find ALKAZAR letting CAITLIN onto the balcony to see him. SAM stiffens.

SAM

Caitlin, we have to talk.

 

CAITLIN

Now’s the perfect time for that.

 

SAM

It is.

Gets on both knees to become eye-to-eye with her.

SAM

I am so sorry I pretended to be a prince and lied to you.

CAITLIN

Considering what you had to go through, I know why you did.

She places her hand on his cheek. SAM takes both of her hands strongly. Chokes up. MICHAEL floats back down to the rail, watching the two lovers talk. What he hears breaks his heart.

SAM

Well, I guess…I guess this means goodbye, right?

 

CAITLIN

(Upset)

Ugh, that stupid law! It’s not fair! I love you!

SAM holds her close and tears shed from his eyes.

SAM

I love you, too, but some things are not meant to be, I guess.

MICHAEL wipes his own eyes. He shows SAM the hand where his name is on.

MICHAEL

Hey, Samy, you still got one more wish to go. Just say it, and I’ll make you Prince Sali again.

 

SAM

But, Michael, your freedom! I promised to…

 

MICHAEL

Sam, relax. It’s gonna be ‘til the Cave of Wonders is in operation again, which is…I don’t know, but I can handle it. Besides, this is true love we’re talking about.

Pushes CAITLIN and SAM closer together.

MICHAEL

Sam, you’re not gonna find a girl like her in a hundred years. Believe me, I’ve been living in a lamp for seven and didn’t have any luck.

SAM

Caitlin, listen. I love you, but I can’t pretend to be something I’m not anymore.

 

CAITLIN

It’s alright. Really.

Clears his leftover tears.

SAM

Michael, I wish for your freedom.

 

MICHAEL

Reoperating Prince Sali is in…wait what was that?

SAM rips the chain from his belt loops and lifts up the lamp.

SAM

Mike, I wish you free!

The lamp starts floating in midair, giving off a white aura, something no one has seen it do before. The cuffs around MICHAEL’s wrists and ankles start doing the same thing. SAM wraps his arm around CAITLIN’s shoulders as they watch the show. At their highest peak of glow, the cuffs snap off, shocking MICHAEL’s skin. They and the lamp fall back towards the floor, dim as rust. MICHAEL picks up one of the cuffs and the lamp when he goes down onto his knees. He starts laughing a little, shedding tears of joy at the same time.

MICHAEL

I’m free. I’m free!

Shoves the lamp in SAM’s hands.

MICHAEL

Quick, Samy. Wish for something completely outrageous! Uh, uh, um, the Nile. Wish to rule the Nile. Try it!

 

SAM

Uh…I wish to the rule the Nile?

 

MICHAEL

Not happenin’, sonny!

MICHAEL makes the happiest of sounds as he bounces all over the balcony.

MICHAEL

My god, does that feel so good! Oh yes! Alki, I’m free! You see this?

Points to wrists.

MICHAEL

No restrictions! I’m free at last.

Others smirk. MICHAEL makes a “to do” list appear.

MICHAEL

So much to do now Where do I even start? I could go see all the world I want. I…

He looks at SAM and the expressions between them are filled with sorrow, yet happiness. SAM tries not to show any more emotion, but it’s not working.

SAM

Michael…I’m…I’m gonna…miss you…so much.

 

MICHAEL

You, too, Sam. I want you to look at me, alright? No matter what…

SAM hugs MICHAEL and starts crying on his shoulder.

MICHAEL

No matter what anyone says, you’re always a prince in my eyes.

ROBINSON

He’s right, you know.

Comes out onto the balcony.

ROBINSON

You have what it truly takes to lead this city.

 

SAM

But I…I lied and said that I was a prince.

 

ROBINSON

Yes, you did, but you came back to protect the people and things you love, and that is the greatest source of courage and nobility I have ever seen in fifty years of living, my boy. Now, the only thing that stands in between is that law I set up.

 

CAITLIN

Mother, what are you saying?

 

ROBINSON

Well, am I the mayor of Princeton, or am I not the mayor of Princeton? I declare that from this day onward, the child of the may shall marry whoever she or he is suitable enough to be a wife or husband.

 

CAITLIN

Then, it’s been him.

CAITLIN runs into SAM’s arms and he spins her around once.

CAITLIN

Since the day we met, my choice was you…Sam.

 

SAM

You can call me Samy if you want.

They share a romantic kiss for three seconds.

MICHAEL

Aw, this is adorable! The happiest of endings ever.

Hugs the lovers.

MICHAEL

Well, I’d love to stay, but I got a bucket list to kick. Farewell, lovebirds. Send me an invitation to the wedding!

He starts flying up to the sky. ALL wave goodbye.

MICHAEL

Alkazar, take care of Sam for me!

 

ALKAZAR

I will! Have a safe trip!

 

MICHAEL

Safe trip? Dude, I’m making history! Well no, making mythology. Bah, who cares? I’m free!