- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I know that it has been FOREVER and a day but by popular demand I am back.
“Farrah, Farrah!! Wake Up Dear!!!” My mother’s voice rang waking me from my slumber. I jolted up in bed, the midmorning sunlight burning my eyes. “What, What??” I sleepily questioned running my fingers through my bedhead. I turned to face my mother who held a cotton dress on a silk hanger in her arms. “Get up why don’t you. You’re going to meet your future husband today.” My mother replied. Unamused, I stretched my long arms over my head and yawned loudly. It took me a minuet to absorb what my mother had announced. As I was rubbing the sleep out of eyes, it finally hit me.

“Wait, what??” I asked. My mother eyed me incredulously. “What’s wrong with you?? Are you ill?” She asked touching my forehead. I vigorously shook my head. I was just exhausted from staying up all night. But I couldn’t tell my mother that I snuck out back to the lake and talked with Michael last night. She’d just die right there. “No mother I’m fine. What were you saying about meeting a future husband?” I asked. My mother smiled. “Not “A” future husband, “The” future husband. Farrah dear you’re going to thank me for the rest of your life. Charles Nightingale and his mother are coming over for brunch!!! I tell you Farrah, this is a match made in heaven!!!”

I instantly rolled my eyes. I absolutely loathed Charles Nightingale. He was the quarterback for our high school’s football team and in a nutshell, a rich, arrogant prick. All the girls at school would die of envy if they found out that I was having brunch with “The Charles Nightingale “. I for one was not even the least bit excited.

“Mother you really expect me to converse with that jerk?” I asked. My mother narrowed her eyes at me. “It’s not proper for a young lady to speak such a way. Stop wasting your time complaining and put on this dress. Slip first.” My mother instructed thrusting the dress in my arms. I groaned as I reluctantly rose from my bed and walked over to the modesty of my dressing screen. “You’ll thank me for this one day. You have to put your eggs to use before they die.” She stated on her way out of the door. Put my eggs to use?!?! I’m only sixteen! There was no doubt that today was going to be a bad day.

I sighed as I made my way down the stairs and out on the Terrance. Mother was putting the finishing touches to the table. With no Help my mother had to prepare the meal all by herself. I actually had some sympathy for Charles Nightingale; he was going to have to endure my mother’s terrible cuisine. Mother finally looked up from her task to get an eyeful of me. I prayed to God I looked presentable.

Her fair face held a frown as she approached me. She reached out her delicate hand and fingered my golden wavy locks. “How I loathe your hair. If only I could get it to be straight.” She remarked. My mother had always hated my hair. Since a little girl she could never get it to lie down. Try as she may to pin it into a neat bun, the pins would always come loose. I actually liked my hair to a certain degree. It was different and the fact that it couldn’t be tamed represented my gentle yet rebellious spirit. I was a wildflower.

“Oh well, it will have to do.” Mother sighed. Just then in the distance, my eye caught a glimpse of a red mustang pulling into our front yard. “Mother they’re here.” I informed my mother who had just finished putting fresh flowers in a vase that sat in the middle of the table. She smoothed her hands over her dress and sighed. “Perfect timing. Come along dear. Romance awaits you.” I rolled my eyes as I followed my mother into the front yard. I noticed Michael was up and about. He wore a big straw hat and was putting down pine straw around our trees. He was too engrossed in his work to notice me but I secretly hoped he would look up and notice that I was dressed up for a change.

“Caroline!! How good to see you!!!” My mother exclaimed as she embraced Mrs. Nightingale. “It’s been much too long Annett. We have to catch up.” She replied. The friends pulled apart. “So, where’s that lovely daughter of yours?” Mrs. Nightingale interrogated. Lovely?? I had never been called lovely. “Here I am.” I replied shyly as I stepped from behind Mother. I got a good glimpse of Mrs. Nightingale. She was a petite woman. Much shorter than I who was a gangly 5 foot ten inches. She had bright blonde hair that didn’t seem natural for her age and light blue eyes. She wore a red summer dress with matching red lipstick. I could tell that she used to be a very attractive woman in her younger days.

“Annett, this is your little Farah? She’s beautiful!” Mrs. Nightingale exclaimed. “Why don’t be shy, come over here and give me hug. I don’t bite and after all, you will be my daughter in law one day!!!” She declared while holding out her arms. I cringed as I reluctantly wrapped my arms around her. She was smothered in Chanel # 5 perfume. I pulled away as quickly as possible. “Charles, where are you?” Mrs. Nightingale called out to her son. “Here I am mother. Sorry I’m late. Just making sure I look suitable for my future bride.” Came his cocky voice followed by his presence at his mother’s side. I inwardly rolled my eyes as he tossed his jacket over his shoulder. “Now, which one of you am I marrying?” He asked smoothly. He thinks he’s funny. He’s totally not.

Mother smiled. “I’m Mrs. Sinclair. This is Farah my daughter and your love interest. “ She declared pushing me in front of her. I smiled shyly at Charles. For the first time I got a good look at him. He was tall with dark brown hair that had been slicked back. He had light blue eyes like his mother. He was actually strikingly handsome though not as handsome as Michael. Despite his good looks he had jerk written all over him.

“Pleased to meet you , Charles.” I replied reaching out my hand for him to shake. He grabbed my hand and brought it to his lips placing a gentle kiss upon it. “The pleasure is all mine, Farah.” He replied. I was not at all impressed by his charm. Maybe that would work on other girls but not on me. “You all must be famished from this heat. Why don’t you come and eat?” Mother asked seemingly pleased with my interaction with Charles.
********
I sat in pure boredom as I listened to Mother and Mrs. Nightingale speak about their days as young girls. Charles sat by my side stuffing his mouth with food and flirtatiously stealing glances at me. Every time he looked at me, I looked away. His gaze made me feel very uncomfortable.
“My glass is running a little low.” Mrs. Nightingale announced staring at her dwindling glass of lemonade. “I’ll get that for you.” Mother replied. “Have you no Help?” Mrs. Nightingale asked. Mother sighed. “No. I fired the last one. I’m still looking for one.” Mother replied as she refilled the glass. Mrs. Nightingale shook her head disapprovingly. “Every decent white family has to have a Help. Why, it’s so unnatural for white women to be doing the work of a nigger woman. It’s their responsibility to handle such things, not ours. Farah and Charles have to have a Help in their home. I know just who. Minnie’s been taking care of our home since before Charles was born. As a wedding present to them I’d give them Minnie. It would be perfect!” Mrs. Nightingale exclaimed. I inwardly rolled my eyes at her narrow mined view on race relations. No wonder she and my mother are friends.
“You know what mother, that’d be right swell. “ Charles agreed. “ Speaking of family and households, Farah, how many babies do you think you’re capable of carrying? I want a big family.” Charles spoke. I could feel his hand rest on my thigh under the table. That was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I had enough for the day. I stood up from my seat. “Mother, may I be excused?” I asked. “Well you’re already up. Why not?” She replied. With those words I was gone. When out of their sight I kicked off my pumps and broke out into a sprint. I didn’t look back. I needed to run. I needed to feel something.
Once I reached the lake I plopped myself on the bank. I didn’t care if my dress would stain. I hugged my knees to my chin and stared out into the water. My mother was trying to thrust me into a world I didn’t belong. A world that I wasn’t ready for. It was all so frustrating, so angering. If this was my fate in life I wanted a new one.
“Hello Farah.” A soft voice spoke. I knew that voice. That soft sweet voice. That voice that was sinfully intoxicating. That voice that gave me butterflies.
“Hi Michael.” I replied dryly, keeping my focus on the surface of the mucky pond water. I could feel tears streaming down my face and I didn’t want him to see them. A strand of wavy blond hair blew in my face blocking my view. “Are you alright?” He asked. I assumed he was still standing there staring down at my with those gorgeous doe eyes. “Don’t worry about me. Get back to work.” I replied sharply, a bit more sharply than I intended to. At that moment I never sounded more like my mom.
I could hear him sigh. “Well, excuse me for caring.” He replied just as sharply. I could hear his wheelbarrow slowly rolling away. I instantly want to shove the words back into my mouth. I needed him to know that I wasn’t like the others.

“Wait, Michael, I didn’t mean it like that.” I shouted turning to him. “I’m just having a bad day.” He stopped and softly sat down his wheelbarrow. He looked especially tall as stared down at me. Michael narrowed his eyes. He had picked up on something.

“Are you crying?” He asked. Shoot, he had caught me. I vigorously shook my head. “No, I’m not. I’m fine.” I replied not realizing that more tears had made their way down my flushed cheeks. He sighed and did something I least expected. He came over and sat next to me on the bank. His presence next to me was both terrifying and comforting.

“What’s got you so worked up? I though your life was a piece of pie. You’ve got this wonderful home to live in, privileges in society, anything you could possibly ask for. Why, you probably had a silver spoon shoved down your throat the minute you were born.” He exclaimed gesturing with his hands for emphasis. I giggled whipping a stray tear from the corner of my eye. “Trust me, it’s not at all what it’s cracked up to be. Everybody thinks the grass is greener on the other side.” I replied straightening my dress. The wind had picked up and was throwing my hair in every direction. I turned to him, drinking in his beauty.

“Don’t you ever wish you could change your life?” I asked softly. Michael sighed staring into the water. A strand of yellow hair had fallen in my eyes. He turned to me, gently removing the hair from my face. “Yes.” He replied staring into my eyes. His large hand gently cupped my face. The moment felt so right.

Michael’s brown eyes widened as he gently pulled away. “I have to get back to work.” He replied as he quickly rose from his spot on the bank. He jogged over to his wheel barrow and picked it up, hastily walking away.

It felt so good just to be near him. It was a feeling I definitely wanted to feel again.
Chapter End Notes:
Just because Karen Carpenter is wonderful!!



Please remember to leave a review!! Thanks for reading!!