- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm back!!!! Sorry for taking sooo long to update! I was really busy all June. I'm now at least remotely free to update so please enjoy and please review!!!!
I couldn't stop thinking about the mystery behind Michael. He was so quite and reserved. Although I had only talked to him once there was not much I could make out of him. He didn't seem to reveal anything about himself. He seemed like he had a lot bottled up inside of him and hadn't gotten a chance to let it all out. I wanted to uncap that bottle.



" So how'd your day go Farrah?" Father asked as we sat down to our bland dinner that Mother had cooked. As I said earlier, since I can remember I've had about 6 caregivers. All of which made wonderful meals. Since Mother decided to fire our last made I was stuck with eating the mystery mush made by my mother. I really don't think people should have maids and workers, they should do thing for themselves. But according to my mother, the wife and daughter of a stock broker should never get their hands dirty.



"It was fine Father. Same old routine, reading under my tree." I replied spooning the mush in my mouth. "You spend way too much time under that tree!" Mother exclaimed pointing her fork at me. "Your always having grass stains in your dress and your getting tan. You'll ruin your complexion!"It took everything in my power to not roll my eyes. I enoyed my tree, it was my spot. So what if my dresses had grass stains and who gives to hoots if I'm getting tan. At least I don't have that pasty pale complection my mother has. Nothing I ever do is good enough.



"Well I enjoy reading a lot Mother." I replied. I think it was about the first time I had voiced my opinions to my mother.My mother looked at me and shook her head. Oh Farrah honey, you've got so much to learn."Men don't want a book worm wife. They want a pretty woman that can keep up the house and children. Reading will never get you a husband." She replied. I was appauled. My face burned read with anger. My mouth was agape to rebuttle but then the dinning room door swung open. In walked Michael.



"Sorry to interrup you all. I didn't know you were having dinner." He said. "Hi Michael. Care to join us?" I asked with a smile, my nerves calming down. "Farrah! Don't bother him." My mother replied firmly. I knew what she meant by "Bothering " him. She just didn't want him siting at the table with us. "Hello Farrah. I appreciate the offer but no thank you." He replied. He had calling me Farrah down pact now. Finally!



"I just came to let you know Mrs. Sinclair that your a bit short on supplies. I can't really perform well if I don't have all my tools so..." His voice began trailing off. It was softer than it usually was. "Speak up boy!" My mother demanded. I looked at Michael, there was something different about his eyes when she said that.



"I was wondering if you could lend me money to get more supplies so I can preform my job properly." I replied speaking louder and firmer this time. My mother took a sip from her glass of wine before speaking. "If that's what you need to preform your job correctly then so be it. It'll have to come out of your pay check though." She replied. My mother had a history of being rude to our workers. I felt bad for Michael. She didn't have to treat him that way.



"Well thank you ma'm." He replied. I could see that unfamilar look returning to his eyes. "Good night you all." He called to us. "Good night Michael." I replied. My mother and father just mumbled something. Michael nodded to me before closing the door behind him.



"He's a smart one." My father said once he was gone. I sighed and returned back to my plate of mush.

**********************

I looked at my clock on its night stand. I couldn't believe it was almost midnight. I just couldn't sleep. Something just wouldn't allow me to. I carefully got out of my queen sized bed and walked over to my window. I sighed as I drew the drapes, inviting the silver moonlight into my bedroom.

As a small child I had always had this infactuation with the moon. It's was so fasinating, the way it's silverlight danced upon the earth. I wanted to be near it, under it more like. I grabbed my robe and wrapped it tight around my thin frame before slipping into my silk slippers. The house was still, not a single thing stirred as I carefuly made my way down the long staircase.



Careful not to wake anyone I carefully turned the knob to the back door. Our house was pretty old so it made slight sounds. Once I was finally outside I took a deep smell of the midnight musk. I kicked my slippers off careful not to get them dirty. The dew felt nice between my toes.



There I was, Crazy old me; standing in the wet grass staring at the moon in the middle of the night. Sometimes I thought a lot about what my parernts thought of me. I had been dealing with it all my life so it didn't really affect me. But to be honest it did have it's effect on me. It was lonley nights like these I stayed up contenplating all their negative comments. Maybe I wasn't the wayh a young lady should be. Maybe I would never find anyone to spend my life with. Maybe I was useless.

I decided that I might take a dip in the lake outback for a while. My long legs manuvered across the damp grass. The it occured to me that Michael would be staying in the csabin outback. I didn't want to disturb him but who was crazy enought to be out this time of night? Only me right?

I carefully removed the bushes out of my path.A gleam of the water shinned beyond the plants. It was midnight and no one was out but I just wanted to preserve the beauty of the still of the night. Little did I know the suprise that would await me at the lake.


Sitting there on the bank with their feet emerged in the water, engaged in a book was no other than Michael. I gasphed in shock.

"You startled me!!" We shouted in unison.Untill I regained my composer, I noticed just how even more beautiful Michael looked in the the moonlight. It made his beautiful face stand out even more. I also noticed that he was shirtless. He had a nice body too. A toned flat stomach and slight muscles but not too much. His skin was like rich choclate. I couldn't stop staring at him.

His soft looking pink lips began moving. I had no idea what was being said because I was just too mesmerized by this man's beauty. I have never met I guy this handsome before.

"WHAT BRINGS YOU OUT HERE SO LATE??" boomed the loudest voice I hade ever heard. It took me some time to realize that it was Michael speaking. With a voice as soft as his you would never think he could get so loud.

"Pardon?" I asked a bit embarrased. "I asked what brings you out here so late." He replied in his normal tone. "Oh, I couldn't sleep. i decided to take a dip ." I replied. "Well come on and join me unless my blackess offends you. It dosen't come off you know so it won't get infect the water." He replied sarcastically. "Michael, I'm not like that." I replied as I stuck my toe in testing the water. "Well aparently the apple feel far from the tree." Michael declared. "Look I'm sorry about my mother she's just like that. It's like human nature to her. She doesn't know any better."

Michael decided not to reply."What brings you out?"I asked.Silence fell upon us, The only sounds to be heard we the light ripples I made in the water. I waited on him to reply.

"Insomnia." he replied simply. "In what?" I asked. "Insomnia. It's a sleepong disorder. It makes it almost impossible to sleep." He replied. "Well don't you ever get tired?" I asked. "Sometimes, but I have my own way of sleeping." He replied

So he has a sleeping disorder.

"What are you reading?" I asked in an attempt to get more out of him. "Silas Marner." He replied flipping a page. "Hey I was reading that earlier today." I replied. "I found it in a tree. It looked abandoned to me. Sorry." He replided. I smiled. "No-No. You're okay I've read it before. It's boring to me. Do you like to read?" I asked. I was sure he sick of me asking questions but I couldn't help it. I was curious.


"Yes. It's one of my favorite things to do. But MY library doesn't supply deent books. we get the leftovers. They do'nt like us reading you know. I've been down to the white library a thousand times but each time they either tell me to leave or theaten to call the police." He replied. Segregation was having a big impact on him. Now I know he's determined. Determined to get justice


"You don't have to do that. we've got a whole library full of books. Just ask me anytime and I will me more than glad to get you some. And you can keep that one." I replied. A smile grew on his face. His smile is so beautiful. "Maybe you're different after all."

Once again silence fell upon us. I kicked my feet about in the water to keep me distracted. I got so wild that my foot touched his. My face turned red. He had such large feet. I looked over at Michael. Even in the darkness I could see his face stained crimson. I had never seen a colored person blush before.

"Um I think it's time for me to go now." He said closing his book and rising from his spot."Goodnight Farrah." I smiled still a bit embarrased."Good night Michael" I replied. The soft grass crunched under his large feet as I watched as the wooden cabin door creaked closed behind him.


I smiled. So it was possible to get something out of him. I wanted more but I can't pry it out of him. I have to work at it bit by bit.
Chapter End Notes:
PLEASE REVIEW! I WORKED EXTRA HARD ON THIS CHAPTER!! AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY STORY "WHEN PUSH COMES TO SHOVE!!"