- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
2nd chapter of the new and improved Never! I appreciate all your kind reviews!
I just didn't know what had gotten into me.

I couldn't stop staring at him. He was working his magic on the hedges as I "read" under my tree. Mother was inside enertaining her snotty guest and my book was not at all intresting at the moment. I had practically been watching Michael work in the sun all morning long.

Something was so mesmerizing about him. I just couldn't put my finger on it. I mean, yes he was unbelievebly handsome but it must be something more to that. It was so strange to feel this way. I never thought I'd find someone this attractive ever, and well I hate to admitt but I never thought I'd find someone of color to be this handsome.

But no matter how attractive he was it was wrong. It was just as wrong of me to think of him in such ways as it was for him to be attracted to me. Only he would suffer for it. Not me.

But I couldn't stop this curiosity from growing. It was spreading like a wildfire and I just had to talk to him. That wasn't wrong was it? It was just a little causual conversation right? I couldn't take it any longer. I closed my hardcover book before getting up from my seat on the grass. I had sat there so much there was an imprint of my derrière in the grass. Funny way to mark your territory. I straightened my dress before slowly approching him.

He was working so hard. Sweat was dripping from his brow. The hedges looked beautiful. He certainly had a green thumb.

"Hello." I spoke softly almost making him drop his clippers. He turned to me. Even when he was drenched in sweat he still looked so dashing. Maybe even better. "Hi." He replied softly before wipping some of the sweat from his brow and returning back to his work. That's all he had to say?

"The hedges look lovely. Can I get you anything? Water? Lemonade? Tea perhaps?" I tried again, maybe a little to hard. "No ma'm. Thank you for asking." He replied not even bothering to look at me. I get it now, he was following his codes.

"Um, look Michael, I would really apreciate if you loosened up a little , you know. You don't have to be so formal toward me." I said. Right then and there he stopped his work completely. He turned to me and stared, his eyes burning right through me.

"What kind of world do you live in??" He asked. "Um, the current world?" Was all I could say. The real truth was that I lived in my own world, a world where none of that ever existed. I was so consumed in my own world I was not that informed about the every changing world around me. "Well in this world, most guys would kill boys like me for even looking at you so I suggest you don't get too friendly." He replied. I was a bit taken a back.

"I don't believe in that world." I retorted. "I think we can all live together. I think we should all be friends." I really did. Maybe if the world was intergrated I might have some real friends. "Well aparently the same man who says I can't go to school with you or drink from the same fountain as you, The man who runs this world, doesn't think the same way as you do. Maybe if everyone thought the same way as you did, nothing would be holding me back."

I sighed. "Maybe this wasn't a good idea. I'm sorry for bothering you. I can be such a bother.No wonder my parents don't want me around." I replied. His expression softened a little bit as he whipped some of the sweat from his brow. I turned to leave.

"Wait!" He called after me. I turned around so fast I felt a little whip lash. "I, I uh, I like the way that you think. You're very open minded. I like that. Sorry if I came off as a little rude. I just wanna stay out of trouble." I completly understood.

"I understand. Sorry if I came off as annoying." I replied. He nodded to me and returned to his work. I could tell he was a bit shy. I just stared at his back side.

"Farrah!! Farrah!! What are you doing?? Come inside!! We've been waiting for you!!!" My mother yelled, her annoying voice rang through the yard knocking me out of my reverie. "In a minute Mother!!" I called. My mother just wanted me inside so she and her other rich friends could judge me and brag about their daughters. I wasn't like their daughters. I spent all my days under a tree, constantly had grass stains on my dresses and always went barefoot. In their eyes that was very unlady like. My mother always needed me in there to prove she was raising me the proper way a young lady should be raised.

"Um nice talking to you Michael. I'll see you around."I replied. "Yes ma'm." He replied. I rolled my eyes. "I'm not nearly old enough to be called ma'm. Please, call me Farrah." I replied.

"Yes ma'm- I mean Farrah." He said. I sighed as I crossed the lawn.

"We'll work on it!!" I called behind me.
Chapter End Notes:
How was it??? Did this happen too soon?? Anyway, as always, please review!!!!