- Text Size +

 

 

Michael’s POV

Tyler was the most adorable child I’d ever met. He was talkative, smart, funny and very curious. His brown eyes were bright with happiness as he clutched the Mickey Mouse doll I’d gotten him close. He didn’t share many features with his mother. I assumed he looked more like his father.

His father... I was still highly curious about what happened to him. I didn’t understand how someone could let an amazing woman like Rochelle or a wonderful child like Tyler go. If they were mine, I’d keep them close and never let go. I felt like I was missing something and I wanted to ask Rochelle about it but I didn’t want to do that around Tyler.

“-And that’s why I was taught to always help those in need.” Tyler said with a grin.

I nodded. “Exactly, it’s always good to give to those less fortunate.” I said with a warm smile.

“Right!” He said in a chipper tone.

I laughed at his tone. Rochelle gave a weak smile in our direction. She looked like she had a lot on her mind, I hoped she was okay.

“Hey... Michael...” Tyler said in a soft tone.

I looked back at him. “Yes?” I asked.

“Can I ask you something...?”

“Yes. What is it, Tyler?” I asked curiously.

“Do you think sometime you could teach me how to moonwalk?”

I blinked for a moment and giggled. “Sure I can!” I told him, I’d love to teach him how to do that.

I watched as his eyes grew wide. “Really!?” He exclaimed, a bright grin crossing his features.

I nodded. “Really! How about at my rehearsals tomorrow, when I’m on break.”

“Okay!!” He said.

“But... that’s only if your mother’s okay with that. You should make sure.” I told him. I hoped Rochelle would sit in on those, I’d love to have these two there with me.

He nodded and looked over at Rochelle. “Can we, mommy? Please!?” He asked

She bit her lip for a moment before smiling. “We sure can, sweetie.” She said.

Yes! They were going to be joining me! This was going to be great!!

“Wonderful!” I said with a smile. “They start at 8 in the morning. I’ll have my driver swing by to get you.”

“Alright.” Rochelle said, running her fingers through Tyler’s curls.

“This is gonna be SO cool!” He said, going on and on about all the fun he’d have tomorrow. I chuckled when his animated explanations slowly turned into mumbling before he trailed off completely. I guess he’d been tired.

He looked so peaceful like that, his head on his mother’s lap as she continued to run her fingers through his hair, a small smile on his lips as he dreamed, not a care in the world. It was wonderful being a child. People always take their childhoods for granted and they’re always in such a rush to grow up, despite being told not to rush it. No one ever realizes what a childhood means to a person.

“Would you like me to carry him into the bedroom?” I asked.

“Oh... you don’t have too...” She replied.

“I wouldn’t mind honestly....” I told her.

“Well... um... alright. He’d probably have more room in there.” She said as I stood and carefully picked Tyler up and carried him into my room. I set him down very gently and tucked him in, kissing his forehead before exiting the room and sitting back down next to Rochelle.

“Thank you.” She said softly.

“You’re very welcome.” I told her, “I’m sure it’s been a very long day for both of you.”

She nodded. “We got up early to ensure we’d be at the airport on time and last night he’d had a small nightmare so he hadn’t slept too well.” She said, sighing quietly.

“Oh... I’m sorry to hear that...” I told her. I couldn’t help but feel slightly bad.

She shook her head. “It’s fine, Michael, honestly. We’re both very glad to be here.” She said, placing a hand on my shoulder in a very gentle way.

“I’m glad.” I told her softly, staring into her beautiful deep emerald pools. Her eyes were breathtaking, to the point where it was so easy for me to get lost in them.

She stared back into my eyes, breathing in somewhat sharply. I leaned in before I thought, taking her chin gently and brushing my thumb across it. She was really here, no longer a dream.

We were about an inch apart when she abruptly pulled back and shot up with wide eyes. I blinked in confusion at her. “Are you alright....?” I asked

She blinked and nodded. “Yes, I just...” She seemed at a loss for words as she bit down on her bottom lip. We both knew what almost happened between us and part of me wished it had. For a moment, it seemed she had felt the same but maybe I was wrong, maybe it was just because I wanted her to feel the same. This whole being friends thing seemed like it was going to be more challenging than I’d originally thought.

I stared at my hands. “I’m sorry...” I said softly.

“No, no, it’s fine.” She said, sitting down again. “We just got.... caught in the moment. Heh.”

“Right...” I said, not looking up.

She sighed. “Michael. It’s okay, really.” She said.

“Alright...” I said. I guess I’d just have to be much more careful.

It was awkwardly quiet for a while. I cleared my throat very slightly once it started to get to me. “Are you thirsty?” I asked her.

“Oh um, a little...” She replied.

I nodded. “What would you like to drink?” I asked.

“Just water, please.”

I nodded and went over to the small fridge and pulled out a thing of water, pouring her and myself a glass. I guess this was one way to break the silence. I put the water back and closed the fridge, carrying her glass over to her.

“Thank you.” She said softly as she took it.

I smiled slightly. “You’re welcome.” I told her, sitting down and taking a small sip of the water. I started talking to her about her son, hoping to steer the conversation away from awkwardness. I didn’t want to go down that path again.

She seemed to hesitate at first but slowly she got more into the conversation. She explained how much he loved to watch Disney movies and how he’d sit there and sing along at the top of his lungs as he watched. This caused me to laugh. I could just picture him as he did that.

“It’s adorable, Michael. It really is.” She said with a warm smile.

“I can imagine.” I told her, sharing her warm expression.

She nodded and fell quiet, thinking about that. I bit my lip, I had to ask this or it was going to bug me all day tomorrow.

“Rochelle...” I started

She looked over at me. “Yes?” She asked

“What happened to his father?” I asked her.

“Oh. Well...” She directed her attention towards her hands. Was she alright? Had I asked something I shouldn’t have? I think I did but even though my mind was yelling at me, I didn’t say anything more. I really wanted to know.

“His father... left me a little before he was born. We hadn’t been very serious and honestly... it had been stupid to even start seeing him. I should’ve known better, mamá always warned against getting so intimate with someone before you knew them. But, like a fool, I didn’t listen to her. Nicholas seemed like a nice guy, you know?”

I just nodded, waiting for her to go on.

She took a breath, not glancing up at me as she continued. I was guessing this was hard for her to explain to me. “He took me out to nice places and constantly bought me roses. When we talked on the phone he’d say the sweetest things. I just... fell under his spell because of how well he treated me. But... when I... found out I was pregnant with Tyler... he left me. The night I told him, he’d said he wasn’t ready for children and he’d never intended to have any. We argued, of course, but it didn’t matter. He left and that was that. So I decided to raise Tyler on my own. Naomi and my parents helped in any way they could. Which I couldn’t be more thankful for and he loves all of them dearly.” She said, falling quiet again.

I felt literally stunned by this new information. He’d left her because she was pregnant!? I couldn’t believe that. I thought that was so wrong. I felt angry, angry at Nicholas for making such terrible choices, angry at her for not being more careful and angry at myself for not fighting harder that day. I could’ve saved her from that pain because I knew well that if she’d came to me and told me she was pregnant with my child, I’d do everything in my power to be there for her, helping her through that every step of the way. We’d have created it together and therefore it wasn’t just her responsibility. No woman should have to go through something so life-changing like that alone. Thankfully, her family and friends stepped up instead, I was truly grateful for that.

She looked up at me, noticing my anger. “Michael...” She started

“I’m alright.” I told her, in the softest tone I could muster.

“Bu~”

“Mommy...” Tyler suddenly said, rubbing his eyes, he must’ve just woken up. I looked over at him and smiled very slightly. This poor, innocent child. How unfair should it be that he suffers because his father chooses to abandon him before he’s even born.

“We’re going to go back to our own room, sweetie.” Rochelle said, picking him up.

“Okay.” He said with a yawn “Night Michael.”

“Goodnight, Tyler.” I told him.

“Sweet dreams.” Rochelle added

I nodded. “Same for you.” I said

She smiled slightly and carried Tyler out. I shook my head and got ready myself. If I ever met Nicholas, I knew I’d like to give him a piece of my mind.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

So um... I know this is my first update in a while for this story and I'm very sorry for that. School has had me so busy and I was trying to figure out where I wanted to go with this but I think I know now. Hopefully I can manage to update more frequently. I won't promise you anything. Hope this chapter was a good chapter after such a long wait and I hope you're all still with me. :)

Much love,

MJLF <3