- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Trying to keep my updates frequent. :) I don't like making you wait. ;)

 

Rochelle’s POV

I’d talked to Michael for a few hours last night and I’d slept soundly until Tyler woke me up around seven. He was an early riser who didn’t like to waste the day. Not that I could really blame him. I wasn’t one for wasting the day either. I yawned as I drove Tyler to school and then it was off to work. Naomi had spoke recently of a big deal with In Style Magazine, it seemed like they wanted to feature our line in one of their next issues. This was a huge thing and though it was only a possibility, I was already going through a million possibilities in my head.

For the rest of the month, I worked closely with In Style Magazine. They’d come to look at the clothes in our shop and scheduled a couple photoshoots. It was a long effort but one well worth it. I kept Michael up to date on everything. I must’ve sounded like a child in a candy store a couple times because I heard him chuckling on his end. Things were going just as they should, I was in a good place and content with how my life was going. It was perfect.

Michael’s POV

I paced continuously in my hotel room, I wasn’t sure whether to ask her what I wanted to or not. I knew that’d be hard with her son and her job, especially with how well things seemed to be going recently. I bit my lip, I felt like I was arguing with myself. One side said to be selfish and ask and the other said not to say a word and that the way we were doing things was enough. I sighed and sat down on the large hotel bed. I looked at the comforter and ran my hand along it while I thought. It was a soft brown color with faint stripes going down it. I traced each stripe while I went back and forth with the notion of asking.

 I’d been so lonely lately and while my phone conversations with Rochelle were a nice relief, when they were over the loneliness came back in full force, sometimes worse. It always hurt more after, no matter what. I was always lonely when I toured like this. I wanted some kind of company and I knew having her here would make things so much easier and I knew I’d love to meet her son. Tyler sounded like a wonderful child. He seemed highly intelligent for his age and much more aware then most. He also sounded like he loved to have fun whenever he could, kind of like myself really. Rochelle always talked highly of him, I could always hear her proud mother tone, it was sweet. Although, I always wondered what happened to Tyler’s father. She never spoke of him. I was extremely curious but I could never bring myself to ask. It didn’t feel right to. I felt bad that Tyler didn’t really have a father figure in his life and if I could, I’d be that for him.

I sighed. I knew I had to at least try and ask, it seemed harmless. I didn’t think Rochelle would hold it against me… would she? Unsure of whether that last thought was a yes or no, I looked at the time. The clock read five o’clock, I still had a few hours before my next concert and it wouldn’t be too late there. I smiled slightly and picked up the phone to call her. I dialed the all too familiar number and waited as it rang. I twirled the phone cord with my finger out of nervousness. I really hoped she’d answer.

“Hello?” I heard her ask, I couldn’t help but feel somewhat relieved, although it was quickly replaced with more nervousness.

“Hi” I said, doing my best to keep the nervousness out of my voice.

“Michael? Hi, how are you?” She asked

“I’m good. How about you?” I asked

“Great! Tyler and I were just watching a movie.”

“Really? What movie?”

“One of your favorites actually” She said with a smile in her tone.

“Oh really? You’ve peaked my interest now….” I said

She giggled. “We’re watching Peter Pan” She said

“Peter Pan. Hmm… not sure I’ve heard of that one. Are you sure it’s one of my favorites…” I said with a smile

She laughed “Oh I’m sure, would you like me to describe it, maybe it’ll jog your memory.”

“Go for it”

“Well it’s about these three children who love stories. Wendy, the oldest of the three, often tells stories of a character named Peter Pan. He’s a kid that never grows up and he lives in a little place called Neverland, along with the lost boys. The stories are often about his adventures with the infamous Captain Hook. Or Old Codfish as Peter likes to call him.” She explained “Jogging anything up there, Jackson?”

I grinned at that. “Nope, please go on.” I said

She laughed and I could almost see her rolling her eyes and shaking her head at me on her end. “Alright, Applehead. Well, one night, Peter Pan comes to the kids’ house, in hopes to find his shadow which Wendy has hidden in a drawer. So Wendy ends up giving it to him and Peter talks about Neverland and flying. With pixie dust and happy thoughts of course, he escorts them to Neverland and the adventure goes on from there. There’s all kinds of stuff in it, I strongly recommend it.”

“Hmm… I think I might take a look at that one, thank you.” I said, chuckling.

“Well good!” She said and then she too began laughing.

We laughed for a bit before we both settled down. I felt my nervousness come back once I realized I still had not asked her yet. “Rochelle….” I said after a moment of silence.

“Yes, Michael?” She said. She sounded so happy. I hoped I wasn’t messing anything up by doing this.

“Can I ask you something?” I said quietly.

She hesitated. “Michael….” She said and I knew right where her mind went to.

“Please, just hear me out, alright?” I asked

She hesitated again and then sighed. “Alright…” She said quietly

“Thank you. I-I’ve been thinking lately. And I know we just started talking again but… I um was wondering if maybe you could…join me while I tour. I know I’m asking a lot but I was hoping, just as a friend you could keep me company. I know that’s hard with Tyler but I have it figured out. I do really.” I fell quiet after that. I played with the comforter as I waited.

She didn’t speak for a long time and if it hadn’t been for her soft breathing, I’d have thought she wasn’t even there anymore. I didn’t know what to do. Maybe I’d made a mistake in asking her something like this. Perhaps our friendship wasn’t at that kind of level yet or maybe it was never going to be. I swallowed hard, getting more nervous the longer she stayed quiet. Why didn’t I think this one through better?

Rochelle’s POV

Had he seriously just asked that or was I going crazy? I swear it had sounded like he asked me if I could accompany him while he toured and judging by his silence, I’d heard right. What I was supposed to do here? Go? Not go? How could I? Tyler had school, I had work. He said he had that all figured out but this was huge. The scary part was…. I was actually considering this. The thought of being with Michael again, for a year or longer was tempting in itself. But at the same time, did I want Tyler out of school? Travelling from country to country? If I did this… it would be kind of selfish. I felt confused and I knew Michael was waiting but I couldn’t answer him yet. I had to talk to Naomi and Tyler. I also had to find out what Michael had planned for Tyler. I assumed tutors. Was that a good idea?

“Rochelle… I’m sorry. Maybe I shouldn’t…”

“No, no, it’s fine.” I said before he could go on with that statement. “I’m not mad or anything but I have a lot I need to figure out still. You said you had everything figured out for Tyler. Did you mean… tutors?” I asked

“Yes. If you two were to join me I would call the best tutors I know to come with us and give him his lessons. I know missing that much school would be bad for any child. But if you… don’t want him to be taught that way, then I understand. He’s your son, it’s up to you.” He said

He’s your son. The words haunted me and I knew they shouldn’t, it had been an innocent statement on his part. I bit my lip. He’s our son. I thought to myself. I shook it away to pay attention to the conversation. “I know.” I sighed and fell silent for a moment. “You said… they’d be the best, yes?” I asked

“Only the best, I’d get nothing less for him.” He said.

“I suppose that’d be ok then but there’s still a lot I need to sort out Mike. I have to talk to Naomi still, if I leave for a year or so… she’d be the only one running everything. I mean… I could do some while on the road but she’d have to run the whole shop by herself and if she isn’t ok with that Michael… then I definitely cannot go.” I told him

“Yes, I know. I understand that, really I do. I’m not expecting a yes or no right this moment. I know there’s still plenty to figure out.” He said

I sighed. “Well alright. I should go call Naomi now… um I guess I’ll call you back when I’m done?”

“That sounds fine.” He said.

“Alright. Bye Mike.”

“Bye.” He said and hung up. I held the phone for a moment, in shock. I must be crazy.

“Mommy.” I heard Tyler call me from the living room. I hadn’t even realized I was in the kitchen, I’d forgotten that’d I’d been about to make popcorn for us.

“Um, yes Tyler?” I said as he came in

“Is the popcorn done?” He asked with a small smile.

I smiled. “I…didn’t get a chance to put it on. I was on the phone with a friend. I have to make another phone call but I’ll make it while I’m talking, ok?” I said

He nodded. “Alright.” He said

“Go wait in the living room for me, I’ll be in soon, I promise.” I said, kissing the top of his head.

“Ok.” He said and headed back out to do just that. I leaned against the wall, rubbing my temples. This was highly unexpected. Just when I think things are going as planned and everything’s as it should be, something comes up to possibly change everything totally. This was the story of my life.

Chapter End Notes:

So... what did you think? :D