- Text Size +

Chapter Four

Rochelle’s POV

I couldn’t believe he’d recognized me in the sea of people that had surrounded me. He’s held me for what seemed like hours. Being in his arms again felt so amazing, I’d missed him a lot. By the end of the show I was sad to be leaving him. It opened a fresh wound in my heart and the memories of that day came flashing back.

Flashback to 1985

“Rochelle wait! Please…please don’t do this….” Michael begged, I bit my lip

“I have to go Michael… I-I can’t hold you back any more.” I said as I raced to the door.

Michael raced after me, jumping in front of the door. He’d always been quick on his feet. “Rochelle, please. You’re not holding me back. I can balance us and work. Stay, please. I need you…” His voice broke.

“I- you don’t need me Michael, you’ll be fine. Focus on your career for now. You have so much ahead of you still, I don’t want you to be tied down…” I told him.

“But…” His eyes welled with tears. By this point I’d sincerely started to rethink my choice now.

“Just… let me go Michael….” I said in a quiet voice, trying to keep it together.

He reluctantly moved away from the door. “I-if that’s what you really want….” He said in the most broken tone I’d ever heard.

I just nodded and dashed out the door with my stuff, not looking back… I couldn’t.

End Flashback

My eyes welled with tears at the memories. He’d been so broken that day, it was heartbreaking. I’d broken down the moment I’d gotten to the airport. He was only man I’d ever loved and I left him. I don’t really know how I did it.

“Rochelle?” I heard someone beside me ask

“Hmm?” I said looking over at the person. It was Naomi… I’d forgotten she was there.

“You ok, girl? You seemed to be somewhere else.” She said

“Oh. Yeah, I just… was thinking… that’s all” I said, falling silent.

“Oh… ok” She said. I could hear the worried edge to her voice.

I cleared my throat. “We should go, the concert’s over and it’s getting kind of late.” I said

“Yeah.” She said. I knew she was still worried, but I didn’t want to talk about it. I walked forward to exit the stadium, Naomi following beside me.

“Miss!” I heard a voice call me, I turned around confused. A young man with curly blond hair and pale blue eyes raced up to us. He was a good-looking man who couldn’t be any older than 26.

“Yes?” I asked him, wondering who he was or what he wanted.

He came to stand in front of me. “Hi. Um, are you Rochelle Gonzales?” He asked me.

I blinked and just nodded, shocked he knew who I was.

“Good um” He lowered his voice “Mr. Jackson has requested to see you.”

“Michael?” I breathed out, my voice barely above a whisper.

The man nodded. “Only if you wish to see him, of course.” He added.

“I um…” I was surprised by this new information. I looked over at Naomi for help.  She smiled and nodded in encouragement.

I swallowed hard. “…Ok….” I said “Take me to him.”

“I’ll meet you back at the car.” Naomi said with a smile

I just nodded and followed after the young man, still in shock.

 Michael’s POV

I paced around my dressing room with my hands behind my back. It felt as if a million thoughts were running through my head at one time. Would she come? Did she still love me? Had she moved on? What was she doing right now? How was her family? So many questions, so many doubts, it was too much to take. I was nervous and still hurting from our break up. I couldn’t move on and lately… she seemed to always be on my mind.

I heard a light knocking on the door and stopped in my tracks. “It’s open…” I called, praying it was her. I looked up and held my breath as the door opened. I felt a surge of relief as my angel stepped through the door. She was looking down, a few strands of her beautiful caramel hair swung forward. “Rochelle….” I said

“Hi Michael” She said in a soft tone.

“Hello.” I said with the smallest relieved smile. “How have you been?” I asked. There was so much I wanted to ask her.

“Good. How about you?” She asked, peaking up at me. I saw so much emotion in her emerald pools. I’d missed them so much.

“Alright. Better now that you’re here.” I told her. I walked forward and took her hands in mine gently. “Rochelle… I’ve missed you so much. Seeing you tonight was… unbelievable.” I started “I need you in my life…”

 “Michael….” She said in a soft tone.

“I-it doesn’t have to be anything more than a friendship.” I told her quickly. I couldn’t let her get away again, not this time. “I’m not asking for a relationship. I just want to be able to know I have you to talk to. You know me more than anyone. You won’t judge me or use me for my money like so many others….”

She was quiet for awhile. “Alright…” She said “But only a friendship. I can’t handle trying again Michael… it’d be too much”

“I understand. A friendship was all I asked for…”

She sighed and then smiled and hugged me. “I’ve missed you too, Applehead.” She said which caused me to laugh. It’d been forever since I’d heard that nickname.

 

Rochelle’s POV

          

Last night had made me realize just how much I too truly needed Michael in my life. We’d talked for a bit, seeing how each other’s lives had changed. I didn’t mention Tyler while we were catching up, I wasn’t ready to yet. I was still trying to figure out if I should tell him Tyler was his son or not.  After we talked, I’d told him I had to head home with Naomi and he understood that and promised he’d call me soon. When I got back in the car Naomi wanted to know everything. I’d laughed and explained it all to her. I was currently listening to Tyler explain all the fun he’d had at Grandma and Grandpa’s. He was animated, his eerie quietness gone completely.

            “And then Grandma and I went to the park and fed the birdies!” He said with a grin as he finished his story.
            “That’s great baby. I’m glad you two had fun.” I said, parking the car at our house. “I helped him out and we walked hand in hand inside. “So what do you wanna do today?” I asked him.

            “I don’t know actually… what do you wanna do?” He asked me with a big smile.

            “Hmm… I say we go to the water park, what do you say?” I asked him

            “OK!” He said excitedly, darting to his room to get changed. I laughed at that and went to get ready as well, grabbing everything we needed. I was going to make this a fun day for us.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you guys are enjoying this as much as I am. :D