- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I know it's been a long time since I've updated any of my stories but I've been stuck and I haven't had much time to focus. So here's a long overdue update. Hope you enjoy. I apologize for the wait.

Rochelle’s POV

I was only half paying attention to what Naomi was telling me. I couldn’t get my mind off of what I told Michael a few nights ago. I knew it was wrong to lie and keep things from him but I didn’t think I could tell him what actually happened to Tyler’s father. I wasn’t ready to tell him, not just yet.

“Rochelle, did you hear me?” Naomi asked suddenly.

“Yeah. I heard you.” I told her.

“Well then, what did I just tell you?” She asked.

“You told me that you feel it’s time for a new line and that you need the designs as soon as possible. I got it, I’ll get them to you, I promise.”

I heard her sigh. “Alright. So what’s up with you today? Did something happen?” She asked.

“No. I think I’m just a little tired. Travelling constantly like this will do that.” I said.

“Right. I guess it isn’t easy adjusting to all those time zones, huh?”

“Not really. I’ve just gotten out of the swing of things, that’s all.”

“Well, why don’t you go for now, hmm? We can talk more about this later.”

“But Naomi...”

“But nothing. Go. Rest. Before Ty gets back with Michael.”

“Alright.  I’ll call you later.”

“You better.” She said with a teasing edge to her tone.

I rolled my eyes.” I will. Bye.” I said.

“Bye girl.” She said, a click on her end signaling that she’d hung up.

Michael had promised to look after Tyler for a bit because he didn’t want me to fall behind on my work. I’d told him that he didn’t need to do that but he’d told me he didn’t mind. He was too much sometimes.

I glanced at my cell phone and debated on calling my mother. I hadn’t talked to her in a while and I couldn’t help but wonder how her and papá were doing. I wondered if Papá was feeling better, I’d certainly hoped so. I punched the familiar number in and waited for someone to answer. I hoped they weren’t busy.

“Hello?” Mamá answered, she sounded tired. Was she alright?

“Hello, mother. How are you?” I asked her, stretching out on the couch.

“I’m alright, sweetie. How are you?” She asked.

“Good. You sound so tired...”

“I am dear. I was up late last night, tending to your father.”

“Oh. Is he feeling any better?”

She was quiet for awhile. “No... he’s... gotten worse, dear.” She said with a small, defeated sigh.

“What...?” I asked, shocked. I had thought it had only been a cold. If it got worse then was it a fever? He’d be okay, right?

“Rochelle... I... is there any way you can come home. What I need to tell you isn’t something I can say over the phone.”

“Of course. I’ll start making arrangements as soon as I can.” I felt worried now. Something major was going on and I didn’t know what it was.

“Thank you. I need to go lie down. I’ll see you soon. I love you.” She said.

“I love you too, mamá.” I told her before we hung up. I set my cell phone on the small coffee table and then leaned back into the couch. I’d need to talk to Tyler when he got in. I didn’t even know how to explain to Tyler that something was wrong with Grandpa. I had so much to figure out and I felt sick to my stomach at the thought of what could possibly be wrong.

My thoughts raced through the possibilities. I closed my eyes trying to push the grim thoughts away. I’m sure he’d get better, he had too.


Michael’s POV

“Michael, look!!” Tyler exclaimed, pointing to one of the fancy buildings. I smiled, it seemed no matter where you went in Spain it was quite beautiful.

“I see. Don’t point though.” I told him with a smile.

“Right, right, Mommy always tells me the same thing.” He said

“I’m sure.” I said, looking at the building, oh how I loved sight-seeing! This was the Groupama-Sequros building. It was an off-white, curved building and it was very intricately designed. The architecture of this building was breathtaking. We looked at it for a bit longer before continuing on.

We’d been out for a good amount of time today, just doing this. I’d been telling him about everything as we went and he listened with so much interest.

“Michael...” Tyler said softly.

“Yes, Ty?” I asked, looking over at him.

“I’m worried.”

“What are you worried about?”

“My grandpa.” He said, looking down.

I kneeled down. “Your grandfather?” I asked.

He nodded, looking at me with watery eyes. “He hasn’t been out of bed for a really long time and grandma said he’s sick but... shouldn’t he have gotten better by now?” He asked, seeming lost.

“Oh, Tyler.” I said hugging him, starting to rub his back. “Sometimes... people are sick for a long time, depending on what they have. Did your grandmother say what he had?”

He shook his head and wrapped his arms tightly around me. I remembered Rochelle mentioning her father being ill over the phone once. She too had been worried about him but her mother hadn’t said it was anything serious so she had tried not to stress over it. I wondered if it was more serious than either of them knew. If that was so then had her mother not been sure or was she trying to give her less things to worry about? I didn’t know but I prayed he’d be okay.

Tyler pulled back after awhile and let out a few sniffles. I reached out to wipe the tears away. “Tonight, before bed, pray, okay? Pray every night if you can.” I told him.

He nodded and took my hand. “I will. Do you think he’ll be okay, Michael?” He asked softly.

I bit my lip before letting out a small sigh. “I wish I could answer that for you, Ty. I really do.” I said, standing and leading him forward.

Tyler sighed softly and stared forward as we walked. I could tell he was very close to his grandfather and I didn’t blame him. I knew his grandfather was a good man, I’d always known that about him. I remembered the first time I met her parents...

 

Flashback to 1982

I chewed my lip from nervousness and got a giggle from Rochelle in response. “What?” I asked her.

She giggled more. “Nothing, nothing.” She said. We were currently standing in front of her parents’ house. I had never been this nervous in my life, not even when I first performed with my brothers. When I got on a stage I became another person this... was different. Up until this point I hadn’t really dated anyone who wasn’t famous. This was an ordinary family, what if they didn’t like me?

That had been a thought in my head the entire day. She was so close to her parents and often took their advice over everything. What if they gave their opinion of me to her and she started to agree? I couldn’t lose her. I just couldn’t. But if her parents didn’t like me and us being together started causing problems, I knew I’d have to let her go. I wouldn’t be the reason a family lost their closeness, no matter how much I loved her. Family was important.

“It’s something alright, I heard you giggle.” I said, poking her in the side. She squealed and then jumped away from my finger. She slapped her hands over her mouth and stared at me with wide green eyes. Despite the embarrassment she started giggling again when she saw the look I was giving her.

We’d been standing here for a few minutes now. Rochelle had gone to knock but then she started giggling. I didn’t know what was so amusing.

She slowly slid her hands down to reveal a huge grin.

“Whaaaaaaaaaaat?” I asked, drawing the word out, causing her to giggle again.

“I’m sorry, Michael, it’s just... you’re being so cute.” She said, grinning again.

I felt my entire face grow hot from my blush. “W-what do you mean?” I stuttered.

She bursted into a whole new fit of giggles at that. I felt my face grow hotter at the giggles, I was so embarrassed.

“With how nervous you are. They aren’t going to bite you know.” She said with a grin.

“Well I’d hope not...” I replied.

She started laughing at that. “Michael, what am I going to do with you?” She asked, shaking her head with a smile.

“I’m not sure, babe. Looks like you’ll need to figure that out.” I said, cracking a smile.

She shook her head with a small chuckle and knocked. Oh boy, this was it. I was going to die. Sweet Jehovah, take me now!

We weren’t standing there long before a woman, with a kind face answered. Her features were almost identical to Rochelle’s. I figured this must be Clara, Rochelle’s mother. Unless she had a much older sister that she’d never mentioned before.

“Mamá!!” Rochelle exclaimed, letting go of my hand to wrap her arms tightly around her mother. It’d been awhile since she’d seen her, I assumed. I loved seeing her turn into a little girl like this, it was sweet.

Her mother embraced her tightly. “Rochelle, it’s so nice to see you.” She said in a heavy Spanish accent.

“I’ve missed you so much.” She said softly.

“I’ve missed you too.” Clara responded. I shifted my weight, feeling out of place here.

They broke their embrace and Clara’s warm brown eyes fell on me. “So THIS is the boyfriend I’ve heard so much about.” She said with a smile.

Rochelle laughed. “Yes, this is him.” She said, taking my hand. “Mother, this is Michael, Michael, this is my mother, Clara.”

“Pleasure to meet you.” I said, nodding my head.

“The pleasure’s all mine.” She said with a warm smile.

“Is that my little flor, I hear!?” A man’s voice called. I assumed it was her father, Edmundo.

“Yes, papá, it’s us.” She said with a grin.

Edmundo stepped outside and held his arms out to her. Rochelle let go of my hand and embraced her father tightly. He seemed like he was a strong but loving man. I could tell by their warm embrace. Once again I felt a little out of place. Almost as if I was intruding really.

Once they broke apart, Rochelle introduced us. “Papá, I’d like you to meet, Michael, Michael, this is my father, Edmundo.” She said.

“Nice to meet you, sir.” I said, holding out my hand, he took it with a firm grip and shook it before letting go. He stared me down for awhile. I felt even more uncomfortable under his gaze. After a moment, he nodded his head.

“Come in, come in, you two.” Edmundo said after a moment. He led us all in and Clara shut the door after us. I swallowed hard and waited to see what would unfold today.

End flashback

 

After a series of tricky questions, I seemed to check out okay that day because after that it was almost as if I was part of the family. Her parents were very warm, loving people. It was nice. I couldn’t fathom the idea of Edmundo being seriously ill. It didn’t fit the picture I had of their warm loving family. Just as I told Tyler, all we could do was pray. This was in god’s hands.


Rochelle’s POV

I assumed I’d fallen asleep because I awoke to the door closing. I sat up and adjusted myself. I had to talk to Tyler and part of me wanted Michael to come back with us. I felt like whatever Mamá was going to tell me was going to cause me to need him for support. I wasn’t sure what it was but I just had a feeling, especially considering she’d been so serious.

“Mommy!!!” I heard Tyler call as he rushed over and hugged me. I picked him up and embraced him tightly.

Michael gave me a weak smile. “Hi.” He said.

“Hi.” I said, softly.

He came over and sat next to me. “Did you manage to get some of your work done?” He asked me.

I shrugged. “Some.” I said, kissing the top of Tyler’s head.

“That’s good.” He said. I knew he could sense something was wrong because he gave me a concerned look. I just shook my head. He nodded and looked at his hands.

“Tyler.” I said, unsure of how to get into this.

“Yes, mommy?” He asked.

“We need to leave a little earlier than we originally thought.” I started.

He looked confused. “Why? I don’t wanna leave, Michael.” He said, pouting.

“Because, sweetie. Grandma... needs to talk to us.” I said, softly, hoping he wouldn’t fight me more on this.

“Is it about, Grandpa?” He asked, catching me off guard.

I nodded, blinking in surprise. He looked down and squirmed to get down. I let him go and he stared at his feet. I looked at Michael, who sighed softly.

“He mentioned him on our walk.” Michael replied softly, answering my unspoken question.

I just nodded, not trusting my voice.

“Rochelle, do you want me to come back with you?” He asked, his soft voice laced with concern.

Yes, more than anything, but he couldn’t. Too many people were waiting to see him, I couldn’t keep him to myself. “You need continue with your tour.” I said very softly.

“I can reschedule the rest of the shows...” He started but I just shook my head.

“Finish the shows then... then you can come to Miami.” I told him softly. “Finish those first, your fans are all looking forward to them.”

“But...” He tried to argue but I just shook my head.

“Do the shows.” I told him, standing and taking Tyler’s hand. “Come on, sweetie, we need to pack.” I told Tyler, who just nodded, staying silent.

“I’ll arrange a flight for whenever you want to go.” Michael said. “Just tell me when.”

“Can you make it for Saturday?” I asked. “Or is that too short of notice?”

“I can make it Saturday.”

I nodded. “Thank you, Michael, for everything.” I said

He nodded. “You’re welcome. I’ll be there as soon as possible.” He said.

I just nodded and led Tyler out. We started packing as soon as we got to the room. I had no idea what I was about to come home too. All I knew, was I was scared.