- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi reader!! I'm back again with another chapter. Hope you all will like! Please remember to leave reviews and let me know what you think!
“Have you ever been convicted of a felony?” I hear Harry ask from the living room as I’m putting the finishing touches on my make -up. After the camera incident and the exchanging of numbers, Jake and I had been spending time getting to know one another over the phone. I was really begging to like him. He was sweet and corny yet sarcastic all at the same time. Despite his laid back personality he was a major nerd. He was a computer programmer and could name all the Star Trek episodes in order of air date. Jake was much different from any other guy I’d ever known. We’d finally arranged to have our first date tonight but I was late getting off work so by the time Jake arrived I was still in the shower. Harry had let him in and was currently giving him the interrogation of his life.

Finished completing my look, I stood up from my vanity and straightened my black dress. Since this was the first date I didn’t want to get too dressed up. You could never go wrong with a little black dress though. I ran my finger through my hair one last time before checking my reflection in the mirror. I’d like to think I looked pretty good.

“Do you smoke or drink?” Harry asked as I entered the living room. He sat on the arm of the sofa with his arms folded, a serious expression upon his handsome face. Jacob looked a bit disturbed being stared down by a fourteen year old as he sat in the chair opposite the couch. “No.” He replied. “Got any kids?” Harry continued. Jake smiled. “No, I wish. “How come?” Harry asked. He shrugged. “Just don’t.” Harry tapped his chin with his index finger. “What’s your social security number?” He asked. Jake grinned. “Sorry kid, that’s confidential.” He replied.

“Harry, this is not twenty-questions.” I declared finally making my presence known. Harry and Jacob both turned to face me at the same time. Jake smiled. “That was actually the 38th.” Harry replied matter of factly. “Wow, don’t you look beautiful.” Jake declared standing up from the chair and walking over to me. I blushed. “You clean up pretty well yourself.” I replied flirtatiously. “I cannot believe I’m hearing this!” Harry exclaimed in disgust. I grinned. “Listen kiddo, I’m leaving. You’ll be good while I’m gone right?” I asked as Jacob helped me into my jacket. Harry smirked. “The question is, will you be good while you’re gone?” He asked raising an eyebrow. Jacob chuckled I just shook my head at my son.

“Watch it. Remember to lock the door before you go to bed. I love you!” I replied as I opened the door to my apartment, “Love you too mom. Make sure my mother comes home in one piece, Jake!” Harry called. Jacob smiled. “Don’t worry I will.” He assured him as we left out of the door.

We walked down the hall to the elevator in silence. “Sorry about the wait and Harry and his personal questions.” I spoke as we waited for the elevator. Jake smiled. “It’s alright. I like Harry. He’s a smart kid.” He replied. I smiled. “Sometimes he’s too smart.” I replied. Jacob smiled grabbing hold of my hand “As long as I get to spend time with you, I’d let him ask me a thousand questions.” I smiled widely. God I hope nothing ruins this night.

******
“So I guess what I’m dying to know if you don’t mind me asking, is, why has a beautiful woman like yourself been single for so long?” Jacob ask me. We’d been seated at our reserved table for dinner not too long ago. We were dinning at a Thai restaurant that had a very peaceful ambiance to it.

I sighed. “Well it’s a long story. My first committed relationship was with this guy I’d met in a coffee shop. He was really handsome and said all the right things. Well we dated for a good year and then I became pregnant with Harry. From the start he’d told me he wasn’t too thrilled about kids and at the time I wasn’t either. I guess we kind of slipped up. But we both excepted things the way they were and then Harry was born. Things were great, the baby seemed to bring us closer together. We’d even planned to get married at some point. But I guess people just change. Two years later, one night, he was telling me how stressful it was to raise a kid and how sometimes he thought he wasn’t cut-out to be the proper Dad. But I assured him that he was and everything would be alright. We went to bed that night and I thought everything would be okay.” I replied.

“Well, what happened after that?” Jake asked as the waitress came with our drinks. I decided to wait until she was gone to finish. “Well the next morning I woke up and he was packing. He explained to me that he wasn’t cut out for fatherhood and he really needed time to himself. He said that if he just left now he could save Harry and I hurt. To him that made perfect sense but he only caused to both of us deep grief. After that I’d decided that I was done with men and needed to focus on raising my child.” I finished.

Jake shook his head. “What a stupid dude.” I gave a small smile. “I have no idea where he is now but I guarantee he regrets it. So what’s your story? Why have you been single all this time?” I asked. “Me? Well, I was married once. To this girl I’d known since high school. We didn’t start dating until college though. It was passionate from the start and right after college we got married. Well, things were good for about 3 years until I came home from this business trip. Caught her in the act with my best friend . Talk about a tragedy.” He finished casually. “Wow, that’s pretty sad. The nerve of that woman.” I replied. “After the divorce was final I had nothing else to do with her. It’s a good thing we didn’t have kids. That would have been hell.” Jacob replied. I nodded my head in agreement and my mind instantly thought of Michael. Why was I thinking of him at a time like this ? It was time for me to enjoy my date with this wonderful guy.

Jake and I made small talk as we waited for our food to arrive. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a man walking into the restaurant. He looked really familiar. I knew his slender physique..As he walked further into the restaurant, his face made up- Michael?!?
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading and please review!!!!