- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's something I came up with. Don't know if it's good enough or not. You can be the judge of that. I'm still working on the direction I want this story to go in so please bear with me. Please review and let me know how it was.
“C’mon Harry!! Let’s bend it like Beckham!!!” I shouted from my spot on the bleachers as Harry sprinted across the lush, green soccer field. His feet appeared to move faster than lightning as he dodged his opponents. I hardly knew how the game of soccer worked but I poured all my focus in it hoping to get my mind off of everything that happened last night.

If playing with my emotions was a sport, Michael would be the captain of the team. I suppose it’d be much like soccer. Michael kicking my heart around until he could score and get exactly what he wanted. He said he loved me. Part of me knew he did. He was my best friend after all. But then there was another part of me that doubted it and was afraid he was only telling me what I wanted to hear.

The bottom line was I was afraid. I was afraid of getting my heart broken by him all over again.

The ear piercing sound of a whistle blowing snapped me out of my negative thoughts as the opposing team called a time out. I spotted Harry taking a water break on the bench. He grinned at me and I grinned back giving him two thumbs up. “Erin!!” A familiar voice shouted causing me to turn around. There stood Brooke with her daughters and surprisingly Michael. She looked very chic is her dark, oversized sunglasses that hid her blue eyes. She appeared to be in a much better mood than she was at Mother’s last week. Michael was holding Sailor’s hand. He gave me a small smile.

“Hi guys!!” I exclaimed. I was really surprised to see them there. I never recalled telling Michael or Brooke about Harry’s soccer game this morning. Maybe I was more surprised to see Michael and Brooke together in public as a couple. I thought that was something they only did when around the family. In addition to that they looked relatively happy .Perhaps they weren’t as detached as Michael claimed.

“Well, this is a surprise. How’d you know Harry had a game today?” I asked. Brooke smiled as she made herself comfortable on the bleachers. “Well, I called last night and Harry answered the phone. He said you weren’t home though and then he mentioned his soccer game. Just thought we’d come out and support. Where were you last night?” She asked tossing her long hair over her shoulder.

I was out with your husband.

I stole a glance at Michael out corner of my eye. He was helping the girls get situated on the bleachers. “I went to a staff party.” I lied. It was the same story I had told Harry and the same story I was telling her. “That’s nice to see you get out of the house for a change.” She replied grabbing hold of Michael’s hand. Michael smiled and placed a small kiss on top of Brooke hand. He’d do that all the time when they were engaged. I couldn’t help but feel a pang of jealousy. By now the game had started again and the boys were back on the field. “Do you girls wanna help me cheer for Harry?” I asked my nieces. Their young faces lit up and for the rest of the game we were cheerleaders.
*********
“That makes me so incredibly mad!! It was one point!!” Harry exclaimed with a frustrated sigh as he doused the remainder of his pancakes in blueberry syrup. The game had long since ended with Harry’s team loosing by one point. Despite the loss it was Brooke’s idea to go out and have breakfast since it was still morning when the game had finished. Nothing pancakes can’t fix, right?

“Oh Haz, you can’t win them all.” I declared before taking a sip of my orange juice. Brooke nodded in agreement. “I guess.” Harry replied, his voice cracking. It seemed to be doing that a lot lately. “Your Mom’s right Harry. Just be thankful you’re good at some sport. Personally, I suck at any kind of sport.” Michael replied biting into a piece of bacon. This would have been the time that I normally would tease Michael about his lack of athleticism but I just wasn’t up to it. My head was spinning with so many thoughts, so many mixed emotions.

Brooke giggled. “Do you suck?!? Remember that time that time we played tennis with Erin and Leif?? You nearly broke my nose with that terrible serve of yours!!” She exclaimed leaning into Michael’s shoulder. Michael smiled sheepishly. “I thought I was doing a pretty good job!” He replied putting his arm around Brooke. Now I was just outraged. What did they do? Work it out over night? Their lovey-dovey interactions seemed much too real to be fake. That or either they were damn good actors.

“Cool story. I’m going to use the bathroom.” Harry announced clearly annoyed and unaffected by our positivity as he left the table and went to the bathroom. “You know what girls, why don’t we all use the bathroom so we don’t have to stop on the way home?” Brooke suggested to her daughters who all nodded and left the table themselves. That left Michael and I alone.

“What’s up with you Erin?” Michael asked softly across the table. I set my focus on my plate poking at the uneaten scrambled eggs with my fork. “Nothing’s up with me. What’s up with you?” I replied coldly. Michael sighed. “Is this about last night? I’m sorry if I went too far. I was just caught up in the moment.” He replied. “Caught up in the moment of telling me what I wanted to hear.” I shot back. “And no, it’s not about last night. This is about today. If you and Brooke are getting a divorce and if you want me so bad then why the hell have you and her been cozying up all afternoon?” I asked through clenched teeth in order to tame my anger and avoid causing a scene.

“Erin, it’s not what you think. It’s all a part of the act.” Michael replied casually. “Oh really Michael? Is that so?” I asked sarcastically. It was obvious that things weren’t over between Michael and Brooke. Once again Michael was playing with my emotions and making me his second choice.

“You really think you can have your cake and eat it too don’t you??” I asked. Michael sighed. “Erin-“He began. “No, I don’t want to hear your bullshit excuses any longer. Tell Harry that I’m waiting for him in the car.” I replied sharply as I got up from the table.

Maybe I was over reacting. Michael and I weren’t exactly a couple. But we went out last night and he told me all the right things and he made me feel things I hadn’t felt in ages. Last night I felt like it was possible for us to be together. Last night I felt like giving him a chance. But right now I didn’t want anything to do with him.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading and please review!!