- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is it!! We've come to the end of the road. This is the last chapter!!! I've had a blast writing this story and I want to thank any and everyone who has ever taken the time to read or review this story. It would truly be nothing without you! This chapter is very long. The longest one I've ever written. I'm strongly considering writing an epilogue for the story but as of now this is the final chapter. I can't thank you all enough for the endless support. I love you guys!!! Now, without further ado, I present to you the final installment of "Something Great"!!!!
I stared at my reflection in the full bodied mirror for what felt like the thousandth time that day. I almost couldn’t recognize that the beautiful, happy, glowing face that stared back at me. I couldn’t believe this day was real. I never in a million years imagined I’d be getting married.

“You are so beautiful Erin!!” Mother exclaimed from her chair in the corner of the large boat house. She dabbed the corners of her eyes that were brimming over with tears. I smiled widely. “Mother, will you ever stop crying today?” I asked. My mother laughed lightly, more tears spilling from her face. “I’m sorry Rin. I’m just so happy for you. I’ve been waiting on the day that you find the right guy and get married and it’s finally here!” She tearfully replied. I smiled again. “If you don’t stop crying now you’ll be nearly blind during the nuptials.” I replied.

“So, are you excited?” Brooke asked suddenly entering the room. She looks perfect in the light purple dress I’ve chosen for the bridesmaids. I smiled . “I’m thrilled. I can’t wait to finally be Mrs. Carrington.” I replied . And that was certainly true. There was no other man in the world for me than Jacob. Sixteen years ago, I was convinced that I was meant to be with another person but now, I wasn’t even thinking twice about walking down that aisle.

“You deserve to be. I told you this day would be great. I have something very special for you.” Brooke replied with a smile. I turned from the mirror causing my dress to gracefully sweep the floor. “You have something else ? Don’t Jake and I already have a thousand wedding presents?” I asked. “Nope, this is exclusively for you.” She replied. I smiled. “But you have to turn around and close your eyes before you can receive it.” Brooke declared. I grinned. “You know I don’t like surprises but I guess that’s fair enough.” I replied before closing my eyes tightly. I could feel Brooke’s body heat behind me and something thin and cold around my neck. “You can open them now.” She announced.

I slowly opened my eyes to see a very familiar looking silver locket around my neck. “Mom gave it to me on my wedding day. Tradionally, the older sister gets married first, but I did and look where that got me. It really is true that good things come to those that wait. You’re living proof of that Erin.” Brooke spoke. I could feel my heartstrings being pulled at. “Oh Brooke, you’re gonna make me cry.” I replied pulling her into a hug. I could already feel the tears brimming in my eyes. But I was determined not to cry. My makeup had taken too long and was done too beautifully to mess it up.

Brooke smiled softly pulling away and stepping back to admire me. “I couldn’t be more proud of you sis. You’ve got something old, something new, something blue and now you’ve got something borrowed.” She declared. Okay, I could feel the tears falling down my face. “I hope this make-up is water proof. I’d hate to meet Jacob at the altar looking like a raccoon.” I laughed nervously dabbing at my eyes with a tissue that came from the bosom of my dress. Brooke said it was absolutely imperative to keep tissues handy in the bosom just in case I had an emotional moment at the altar. “You’ll look great Auntie Erin.” Emma assured me. She sat next to Mother holding onto the bouquet of flowers she would be holding. She and Rowan were my junior bridesmaids.

“Oh I wish Frank was here!! He’d be so proud to see his oldest baby getting married.” Mom sobbed. Brooke smiled sympathetically walking over to Mother and enveloping her in a hug. “ I know Daddy’s smiling down on this day.” She assured her. I teared up a bit realizing that my father wasn’t here to give me away. He’d always wanted me to find someone to settle down with. Too bad he didn’t live to see it. There was one other person who was absent today that should have been here.

“You’re making me sad.” I spoke somberly. “I didn’t mean to sweetie. You just be happy and hold your head up high while you walk down the aisle.” Mother softly commanded. I nodded. I’ll do it for Dad.

“Auntie Erin!! Auntie Erin!!! I’ve got a surprise for you!!!!” Rowan exclaimed bursting into the room. Sailor who would be the flower girl was holding her older sister’s hand. I smiled at her excitement. “Another surprise?” I asked. The beautiful thirteen-year old shook her head vigorously. “Well, what is it?” I asked curiously. Rowan just smiled and stepped aside revealing the handsome young man who I’d been dying to see for months.

“HARRY!!!!!” I exclaimed rather loudly. I didn’t care if all of New York could hear me. My baby boy had come home.

“Mum!!” He exclaimed smiling his wide, dimpled smile. I rushed to him, wrapping my son in the biggest, longest hug ever. I was just bursting with joy. This day couldn’t get any better. “You came Haz. I didn’t think you’d come!!” I spoke into his shoulder. “You know I wouldn’t miss this for the world Mum.” He replied slowly rubbing my back. I pulled away and stepped back to get a good look at him. It had been a year since I’d seen him. Harry was wearing a nice fitting black suit with a tie. He was taller than before. Just about as tall as me. His hair was a tad bit longer than it was when left and I’d noticed a British accent had permeated his speech. His cheeky, infectious smile and his kind, sparking green eyes remained the same.

“Poppy’s not here to walk you down the aisle so I figured I’d do it.” Harry spoke bringing tears to my eyes. He’s so incredibly sweet! Before the tears could fall I quickly snatched a tissue from my bosom and dabbed my eyes. Harry scrunched up his nose in slight disgust and I laughed. That was just like the Harry I know. “Sorry Haz. “ I replied sheepishly. I took both of his hands in mine. “This is such perfect timing! I was just thinking about you. How’s London?” I asked wanting to hear more indepthly about his new life with his Dad. We’d only briefly discussed things over the phone. Since the time zones in New York and London were much different, it was hard to find a good time to talk to each other. “It’s great. It’s different from America but not too much. Everything there is so pretty. The scenery’s much different than the concrete jungle.” He replied. I smiled. “Your voice. It’s deeper. And I can hear you’ve picked up an accent.” I noticed. Harry smiled. “Maybe I have.” He replied.

“It’s really good to have you back Harry. The girls missed you like crazy.” Brooke spoke fixing Sailor’s unruly hair. “It’s great to be back! I feel a tad bit jet lagged though. Mind if I have a minute alone with Mum?” He asked. “You go right ahead sweetheart. Come on girls. Let’s go walk around.” Mother spoke. “But don’t get your dresses dirty.” She added Brooke, Mother and the girls quietly filed out of the room, closing the door behind them. I sat down at the vanity and Harry pulled up a chair, taking a seat in front of me.

“Mum, I have to apologize. The way I acted was childish and selfish. You spent all those years focusing on me and I was such a jerk that I wouldn’t let you focus on yourself for a change. I knew if I left, it’d hurt you and I took advantage of that. I’m sorry.” Harry spoke softly. He was maturing. My little boy was becoming a man. I smiled softly and stroked his hair.”I have to apologize too kiddo. I shouldn’t have made you feel any less important to me and I was wrong for trying to keep you way from your father for all those years. I shouldn’t have let my ill feelings get in the way of your relationship with him. Will you forgive me?”I asked. A slight smile swept over Harry’s thin lips. “Only if you’ll forgive me.” He replied. “You know I do.” I replied pulling him in for a big hug. We just stayed in each other’s arms for awhile. Harry slowly pulled away after some time and I could see tears brimming in his green eyes. For the third time that day, I reached into my bosom and retrieved a tissue. I extended it to my tearful son. “Tissue?” I asked. Harry laughed softly. “I’ll pass.” He replied whipping the tears out of corner of his eyes with his thumb .

We were silent for sometime but I still had more questions to ask Harry. “So, have you made any friends?” I asked. Harry nodded. “I got a job at a bakery last summer and sometimes Dad let’s me sing with his band on Saturdays.” He replied. I smiled“ Looks like you’re a chip off the old block. You have to let me hear you sing sometime. Your father’s not just letting you do whatever is he? And your grades, are they good?” I asked. “All A’s and B’s.” Harry replied. I smiled. “That’s my Haz.” I declared ruffling his hair a bit. Harry smiled “ I really love London but I miss being home. I decided I’ll come back home when school starts back again. That’ll give you and Jake time to get over the Honeymoon phase. I really don’t feel like seeing you two eat another’s faces all day.” He declared. I smiled. “You’re really growing up Harry.” I spoke. Harry smiled at me revealing those dimples of his.

“I have so much more to tell you but it’ll have to wait until the reception. I figure you’ll want a few moments alone before you walk down the aisle.” Harry declared rising from his seat and straightening his tux. I took a look at the clock on the wall. “Oh my gosh. In 20 minuets I’ll be getting married Haz!” I exclaimed. Harry grinned. “You look absolutely beautiful Mum. Enjoy your 20 minutes of freedom. ” He replied before leaving the room. A jolt of nervousness and excitement coursed through my body. I still can’t believe this is happening to me. I rose from the vanity and stood in front of the full bodied mirror again. My makeup been beautifully done and my hair was done up in an elaborate bun that Brooke helped with. She’d added a flower just to give it an extra touch. All the rage however, was my dress. I was in love with that dress but nearly as much as I was in love with Jacob.

I just stood there, admiring myself. I spun around watching the dress’ graceful motions. I’d never felt more beautiful than today. I slowly began to spin around, admiring the way the dress spun when I spun. It sounded kind of juvenile but I’d always wanted a wedding gown that spun just perfectly. In the midst of my spinning the door to the dressing room slowly opened and in walked the person I last expected to see. Michael. I was so thrilled today that I completely forgot about last night and everything he said. I was hoping that Brooke would be right about what she said last night.

Michael

Brooke was a beautiful bride. But Erin; she was absolutely flawless. She sighs nervously smoothing out the material of her gown. “Hello Michael.” She speaks softly. “You’re stunning .” I simply replied. Erin smiles lightly. “Thank you Michael.” She replied bashfully rubbing her bare arm. There was a silence between us. Erin won’t look me in the eye. She knows why I’m here. She knows what I want. I want her.

She took a deep breath. “Michael, if you’re here to talk about your feelings for me, don’t. Don’t make it any harder than it has to be.” Erin declared. I sighed. “You’re making it hard when it’s not!! All you have to do is give all this up. You don’t even have to break off anything. You could just simply run away with me now.” I suggested. She shook her head. “You just don’t understand Michael. Any chances of us being together are gone now. I tried to tell you last night. It’s too late.” Erin simply replied. I shook my head in disbelief. She just keeps making excuses so she doesn’t have to face the truth.

“Just give me one good reason. One good reason why it’s too late.” I commanded. Erin sighed. “Here’s a reason: people change and people move on.” She simply replied. “Michael I don’t ever want you to think that I don’t love you. I’ve always loved you and I never will stop. Once upon a time I was in love with you but all that’s changed. I’m in love with Jacob. He’s invested so much in me in the past year. So much more than I could ever ask for. There’s no way I could just leave him. I’ve finally reached a point in my life where I’m happy. I have to do this, for me” She finished softly. I sighed. I had no rebuttal. There was nothing more left for me to say. What can I possibly say to that? The woman that I want the most doesn’t feel the same way about me anymore.

I just simply stared down at my feet. I can only recall being truly heartbroken a few times in my life. This was one of them.

Erin sighs. “Michael, please don’t be sad. Just because we’re not together as a couple doesn’t mean you’ve lost me. You’ll always have me.”She declared. Suddenly, the door opens. “Erin, It’s time!!! Everyone’s getting into their places and Harry is waiting on you.” I hear Brooke’s frantic yet happy voice exclaim. She stops in the doorframe and stares at us, her face frowning. Erin turns to her sister. “I’m coming right away.” She replied. Erin walks over to Brooke and takes the bouquet of flowers from her hands. She gives me one last smile before exiting the room.

It just killed me to watch her walk away.

Erin

“So Mum, are you ready to do this?” Harry asked me as I straightened my dress for the final time. Brooke had just taken her walk down the aisle and in less than a minute, I would make my grand entrance. I grinned at him. “I was born ready for this, Haz.” I replied. He smiled. “Well then, let’s do this.”Harry gives me another dimpled smile before linking his arm in with mine. The wedding march is still playing as Harry and I slowly emerge from behind the curtains. The crowd of friends, family and in-laws all rise and set their eyes on me.

The ocean breeze feels nice on my skin. Jake and I had finally settled on having a beach wedding at beautiful beach just outside of New York. The sand is a bright white and the ocean the most beautiful blue. The aisle was laid out perfectly and decorated with dozens of flowers-mostly while lilies and roses. Everything is just as beautiful as I ever imagined. I smiled brightly at the crowd as I slowly make my way down the aisle. I spotted my cousin Rachel that I haven’t seen since my father’s funeral and a few aunts and uncles from both sides of the family. I also recognized a few of my new in-laws. Melisa is standing next to Jacob’s father Stephen and my mother who is not standing too far away from my in-laws is bawling her eyes out just like I expected her to. And then there’s Michael who’s standing next to Eva who’s smiling brightly. He doesn’t share his enthusiasm.

I felt kind of bad for letting him go the way I did. I was once in his place on the day of his wedding to Brooke. I wanted so badly to be with him but I couldn’t. He’d told me he was in too deep with Brooke. That he’d moved on. Well that’s what had happened to me too. I loved Jake and he’d been so good to me. It’d be really wrong and really foolish of me to just step out on him. Especially when I was carrying his baby. I wanted to tell Michael I was pregnant but I didn’t think it’d be fair if he knew before Jake. Jacob deserved everything he’d given me. I simply couldn’t do it.
I’d finally reached Jacob who stood with the priest under the beautifully decorated arch. Jake looks quite dashing in his tux. He flashed his handsome smile and me and in his eyes I could literally see the love he felt for me. Never had I ever been looked at in such a way. Never had I ever felt so much love.

“You kept your promise. Thank you.” Harry whispered to Jake as he gently let go of my arm for me to stand under the arch. Jacob smiled. “I told you I would.” He replied. Harry smiled. “Thanks again. You’re a good guy.” He replied. I could feel the tears welling in my eyes. This moment was priceless. My son gave him one last nod before leaning over and placing a kiss on my cheek. “I love you Mum.” He declares. I smiled. “I love you too Haz. Always.” Harry smiles at me before going to take a seat next to my mom. I turned to Jacob with a bright smile. “You’re ravishing.” He whispered. I blushed. “And you look like prince charming.” I replied. Jake grinned. He was prince charming. He was my prince charming.

The priest cleared his throat ready to begin. “Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today to join this man, and this woman, in holy matrimony.” The priest announced. I grinned brightly at Jake. I’d mostly tuned out the priest as he read a passage from the bible about the importance of marriage I could hardly believe that this was happening to me. Me of all people.

“The bride and groom are now going to recite their vows. Jacob has requested to go first.” The priest announced once he had finished his speech. I smiled I couldn’t wait to hear what Jake had to say.

He took a deep breath. “Erin, the chances of finding a woman like you are one and a million. When I met you and got to know you I knew for sure that I had to hold on to and never let you go. You were different from any other woman I’d ever known. Who else could juggle being a career woman , a sister, friend and soccer mom ? Who else could be so blatantly honest yet pleasant all at the same time? Who else could be so generous, so selfless and not mind having anything left for themselves? Who else could be so perfectly imperfect? Only you Erin. You’re an amazing woman and I am so very fortunate to call you mine. I love you Erin Elizabeth Shields. I’m in love with you and every little thing that makes you who you are. I’m so glad God gave me you. The only thing that can tear us apart is death. I will always love , honor and cherish because that’s exactly what I was made to do.” Jake finished passionately. Tears escaped my eyes and I could see my mother choking up too. Even Melisa. I almost wanted to reach into my bosom and grab a tissue but I felt it would ruin the moment. This moment was so beautiful.

I took a deep breath trying to recover my tears. I gripped on to my bouquet before speaking. “Jacob, when I met you, I was searching for something great. I had been for a very long time. Just something so wonderful, so great that it would just jump out at me, hit me with a big bang. Well, I found my something great when I met you. I found it in you. You weren’t necessarily my type but you were better than anything I asked for-more than I asked for. And you taught me so much. Like, it’s okay to open up to someone because you never know that someone might have felt your pain before. Or that it’s okay to be broken because when the right person comes along, they’ll l patch up your wounds. And finally, what you want isn’t always what you need. For these reasons and so many more I will always love you. You’re the only man for me Jacob and I too am glad God gave me you. All the love you’ve given to me, I’ll return to you, a thousand times over. I’m so happy and honored to become your wife and I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you. I love you, Jacob William Carrington.” I spoke with a bright smile.

Charlie, the small grandson of one of Melisa’s dear friends quickly came with the rings. Jacob smiled as he slowly slid the ring on my finger. I did the same. We were so close. So close to being husband and wife.

“If any one feels that these two should not be wed, please speak now or forever hold your peace.” I grabbed hold of Jacob’s hands and stared out into the crowd. I held my breath. Please God, don’t let anything ruin this moment. Please don’t let Michael ruin this moment. There was silence. No one spoke. The priest took this as his cue to continue. “Jacob William Carrington, do you take Erin Elizabeth Shields to be your lawfully wedded wife? To have and to hold, through sickness and health, till death do you part?” Jake smiled at me. “I do.” He replied firmly. “And do you, Erin Elizabeth Shields take Jacob William Carrington to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold, through sickness and in health, till death do you part?” I smiled brightly. “I do.” I answered without hesitation. The priest smiled. “I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride.” It’s real. It’s finally happened.

I grinned at Jacob. “Get over here.” He playfully demands as he gently pulls me to him, leaning down to passionately kiss me. The crowd erupts into applause as soon as our lips touch. Jake and I pull apart smiling widely at one another. He grabs my hand and we slowly begin to walk down the aisle. We’re assaulted with rice, warm greetings and enthusiastic congratulations from friends and family. My heart was swelling with happiness. This is it. I’m finally Mrs. Carrington.
A white Volkswagen, beautifully decorated with lilies, white roses and silver cans meets us at the end of the aisle. It’s our chariot to take us to the reception which is about a block away in a large, beautiful house that looks down at the beach. The sounds of cheering family members get louder as Jacob opens the door for me. Shortly after he gets in, the driver drops the top and I toss my bouquet of flowers into the crowd. I smiled brightly looking back to see who was the lucky recipient of the bride’s bouquet. The answer was obvious when I spotted Eva jumping up and down wildly and waving the bouquet over her head. I laughed to myself as the vehicle drove away. Brooke was right. Everything had turned out great.
******
“And now, the bride and groom will have their first dance.” Upon the MC’s announcement Jacob gently grabs my hand and leads me out to the dance floor .The crowd of family and friends watched us with happy faces. “May I have this dance, Mrs. Carrington?” He asked. I smiled. “Why, yes you may, Mr. Carrington.” I replied. Jake smiles at me as he slowly wraps his arms around my waist and I secure mine around his neck. We slowly begin to sway as the music starts to play. I’d picked the song myself, “We’ve Only Just Begun” by The Carpenters. I’d always thought it was the perfect song for a first wedding dance. There was a comfortable silence between the two of us. I could just stay like this forever.

“I got you a wedding present.” I announced softly, breaking the silence. Jacob’s eyebrows rise as he stares down at me. “You did? I told you not to get me anything , babe.” He replied. I smiled. “Well, I wanted to surprise you. It won’t be ready until about nine months from now.” I replied with a grin. “Wow, must be some gift.” Jake replied. I giggled. “It is. It’s priceless actually but it needs some work.” I agreed. I could tell I’d peaked Jacob’s curiosity. He spins me around. “What kind of work?” He asked pulling me close to him again. I smiled. “Oh, it needs arms and legs. And little toes. Oh and a nose and eyes.” I replied cleverly. “Hmm, that almost sounds like a baby.” He replied. I grinned widely. “Bingo.” I declared softly.
Jacob almost stopped our dance. “Wait, you mean, you got me a baby? Then, that means… That means you’re pregnant?!?” He asked. I smiled, nodding my head vigorously. “Yes babe, I’m pregnant and that means you are going to be a father.” I replied. Jake smiled widely. I could tell he was trying to control his excitement.“God, Erin. That’s the best gift I could ever ask for!” He exclaimed before pulling me in for a passionate kiss.

I’d always dreamed, fantasized about what my wedding day would be like and now it was finally here. The whole day had been magical. Everything I’d dreamed of and more. After all these years of waiting, I’d finally gotten the happy ending that I’d hoped for. Let me tell you, sometimes, it’s worth the wait. We pulled apart and I rested my head on Jacob’s shoulder, listening to his heartbeat. “This is such a wonderful ending.” I sighed as we continued to sway. “No babe. This is not the end. We’ve only just begun.”
Chapter End Notes:
Erin on her big day!!
 photo Denise-Richards-Bollywood-Wedding-OnLoc-3_zps19ad8816.jpg
I want to thank you guys so much for reading and supporting this story! It's meant a lot to me!! I'm really thinking about doing something else with the characters so don't be surprised if you see them again. Thanks so much again for supporting this story. It's been awesome!!