- Text Size +

it was super easy to find sheryl's trailer in the lot next to the practice studio. the door was slathered with pink paint and framed with white christmas lights.

 

sheryl came to the door with a thick, furry, white robe. her bleary eyes sparkled when she spotted me.

 

"tatiana! hey, girl! what are you doing here so early?" she was chewing on a long toothbrush that protruded from her mouth. she looked like she just rolled out of her cot.

 

i gave her a small wave. "i hope i didn't wake you."

 

"oh, i was already up all night packing. remember? we'll be flying out tomorrow to london. i thought you were gonna be at your briefing this morning, right?" her bare, red-painted toes shifted to welcome me inside.

 

the inside of her trailer just looked like the outside of her trailer. pink.

 

from a quick scan of the chaos of items on her bedside, i could see  a bunch of polaroids of she and her friends. one photograph that caught my eye was a glitter-glued picture of michael and sheryl posing in mickey mouse ears.

 

"well," i began with a winded sigh. "i got a voicemail from mr. dileo. he said that i'm being postponed on tour."

 

sheryl kicked the door shut. "damn, really? what are you gonna do until then?"

 

i gave her an clueless raise of my eyebrows. "he said he could arrange somewhere for me to stay here in pensacola, but, in the meantime, i think i'll just accept the money to fly back to new york. he said i still got the part, but something came up with scheduling." i shrug. "i just wanted to come see you guys off. everyone here has been so kind. especially you, sheryl." i hugged her.

 

sheryl giggled. "anytime, honey." suddenly, she pulled back from me, grinning about something. "tatiana, you know what? you should really come with the band tonight to the karaoke bar! are you up for it?"

 

"oh, i was...planning on going, anyway." i smiled at sheryl's startled expression. "michael told me about it last night." i couldn't fight a blushing smile from swelling on my face.

 

"michael did, huh?" i saw her lips curl up before they disappeared behind a face towel. there was something weird about the way she laughed. "typical."

 

"what do you mean by that?"

 

"he's just...michael has always got eyes for the new girl!" she shook her head at me like she couldn't believe it. "it's a like a revolving door with him. round and around and around. y'know. he is no different from any other piece of--" sheryl's smirk fell when she saw my face. "oh my god, tatiana--i'm so sorry."

 

i bite my lip when she grips my elbows.

 

"i didn't mean it like that, you know i didn't." she pleads quietly.

 

"no, sheryl, you might be right." i laugh.

 

i don't even know why i said yes.

"i really don't think i should go." i shake my head at myself.

 

"oh. well, i wasn't talking about you, i wasn't even thinking about you, honey--you're not even close to all those other girls, i--! just pretend i didn't even say that!"

 

i was forced to look directly into her piercing, blue eyes. "god." i admitted to myself with a mutter. i fidgeted with my dense, spongy hair. i couldn't believe i was actually planning to straighten it later. "i feel so stupid."

 

"tatiana, forget about michael. forget about tonight. we can do our own thing sometime. okay?" sheryl speaks quietly.

 

i nod quickly and swallow a growing lump in my throat.

 

someone banged on sheryl's trailer from outside. "open up! it's donny!"

 

sheryl rolled her eyes and shouted back, " whadd'ya want?"

 

"it's your breakfast! michael says he wants you to give the new kid this letter! and you better not open it, or you're fired!" don was silent for a few seconds. "i'm leaving it here outside--i have to finish loading up with the boys! see you at seven!"

 

sheryl plopped onto her cot with the letter. i joined her.

 

it was a miniature white envelope with nothing on it. i ripped it open and read it out loud.

 

"  'dear tatiana, i heard you were postponed. before you leave, you are welcome to join me and the band tonight. i hope this evening will lift your spirits.'" i stared blankly at his bulbous, artistic signature. there was a little spark drawn at the end of his last name. it was, grudgingly, cute.

 

sheryl turned to me. "don't bother."

 

i grunt. "don't worry." i won't.

 

"want a bite?" sheryl offered. i shook my head. i wasn't hungry at all.

 

she opened the box, and then sheryl let out the loudest scream that i ever heard in my entire life. we both jumped up and shreiked at a crawling, hairy mass on eight legs.

 

a tarantula about the size of my entire fist skittered to the top of the hill of scrambled eggs on the carpet.

 

i heard an out-of-breath cackle from behind the trailer.

 

"michael--i'm gonna murder you!!" sheryl screeched.

Chapter End Notes:

hope you enjoyed.