- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey there, there's my poor attempt at writing suspense. Tell me how it was, please. 

The things I’d witnessed yesterday kept my mind occupied the whole day. I tapped on my keyboard and wondered what excuse I could give my employer. I didn’t write a single word of code and he wanted his site updated by tonight.


“Meet the family.”


He couldn’t be just messing with my mind, could he?


 I didn’t know if I should’ve trusted the words of the Mayor. But Maestro didn’t seem to harm me. He seemed sincerely sorry for his crazy antics. It was just advanced trickery – it had to be!


I sighed. Closing my laptop, I decided I needed some fresh air.


The lake wasn’t far away from my block. I sat down in the grass and breathed in the fresh air deeply. The water flowed calmly. I threw a small rock into it, making a small ripple pass through. The water was very clear. I could see little fishes swimming in it. 


How peaceful.


Then it happened.


My eyes wandered from the water body to the land and my heart almost stopped.


A girl, almost transparent and glowing as the rays of the sun fell on her, sitting on the other side of the lake. Her head was twisted sideways, like somebody broke it. She was looking at me, and became very excited meeting my eyes as she gave a maniac grin and waved.


I felt sick.


I ran out of the place, never looking back.


Please don’t tell me it’s him.


I arrived at the shopping district. Breathing heavily, I sat down on a bench. The place was filled with all sorts of people buying their necessities.


Her neck was warped As if it was squeezed like cloth by one’s hands.


I bought a soda to calm myself. I returned to my Apartment and called my mom.


“Hey mom, how’re you doing?”




“Maestro? Are you here?”


Maestro felt startled. He hadn’t heard someone coming. The ghosts didn’t tell him anything either. Who might it be?


Climbing down the stairs, Maestro saw a familiar person standing on the door. A person he hadn’t seen in a hundred years. His face told he didn’t bring good news.


“Leonidas? What’re you doing here after such a long time? And without a notice too-”


The man called Leonidas shook his head and handed Maestro a sealed envelope.


“Not here to gossip, Maestro. Grave news this time. Burn it after reading.”


Maestro froze as he took in the contents of the letter. “This can’t be! After what happened, this is impossible!”


“I don’t lie, nor does the Central Order. I can’t be here for long. Too risky.”


Maestro crumbled the paper in his hand. He muttered something and the parchment burst into flames, being reduced to ashes.


“Leo, I can’t let them harm innocent people for me. Tell the Order that I…” Maestro hesitated. He breathed in and then firmly said, “That I will retake my position and I will put an end to it.”


Leonidas nodded. “We knew we could always rely on you.  A globe-mail will suffice if you need anything.”


“Okay.”


“Then I’ll be off.”


Turning around, Leonidas clasped his hands together As if saying a prayer. Sunlight encircled his body and within moments, the man was gone.


Maestro sat down on the ground and grasped his head.


“Oh God.”


Clarisse floated beside him. She laid an airy hand on his shoulder. “We are beside you, my friend. It concerns us as much as it concerns you.”


Maestro said nothing in reply and stood up slowly. He had to reopen that chamber.


After what, a hundred years?


Maestro walked up to his grand staircase. He touched the stone wall in middle of the swirling staircases. So many memories. None good, though. He closed his eyes and let his mind focus. He made all the energy in his body dance to the rhythm of nature. And he spoke.


Maestro sung a shrill melody that made the hairs stand up on his body. He could feel heat all Around him. It burned into his dead heart.


Then there was a rumbling sound. The wall began to part into two halves. Maestro stepped back.


It worked.


Now there was a stairway leading to the dungeon awaiting him. He began stepping down.


The Central Order must win.




I couldn’t enjoy a wink of sleep. The image of the girl was blazing inside my head. Whenever I closed my eyes, I felt As if somebody was watching me.


Am I going crazy?


I regretted my decision of going to Someplace Else and wondered if he was doing these things. But Maestro wouldn’t do it. It didn’t match with him.


I sighed and turned the curtains open. I wished I didn’t.


Screaming, I fell back on my bed and scrawled away on all fours. The girl with the twisted head was there. She was banging herself against the window and trying to get in.


Tears gathered in my eyes and I ran to the bathroom. I sobbed for a long time. Why was this happening to me?


But why couldn’t she enter my home?


I remembered the three ‘ghosts’ in Maestro’s home. They were able to go everywhere, so why couldn’t this twisted one enter?


For the next week, my troubles did nothing but increase.


I was driven almost mad because more and more grotesque and gruesome ghosts gathered around my windows and banged. Some were headless. Some were bleeding from their mouth. Some were scarred and burnt. They made no noise, but I knew they were there. I knew they could see me. I couldn’t open the windows. There wasn’t a way to ignore them.


One day I was feeling that I would collapse. I couldn’t tell anyone. I didn’t want to be sent to a mental hospital – or worse, have my citizenship canceled and return home.


I didn’t have any food for a day. My vision felt cloudy.


I gathered myself in a ball and prayed. I prayed to God, I prayed to my mom, and I prayed for somebody, something to end this torment. My body was convulsing and tears ran down my face. I was starving.


Something tingled inside me. I didn’t know what it was. I just wanted someone to save me. I closed my eyes.


My body felt so hot.


I could feel something growing, a flame burning inside me. My heart was beating so fast that I couldn’t breathe.


Panting, I collapsed on the floor and felt the tingles wreck through my fingers, my Arms, my chest, abdomen and run through my legs. The feeling burned wherever it touched. It was as if I was set on fire.


I screamed in agonizing pain.


Am I having a heart attack? Am I going to die?


 No.


Amidst that confusion, somebody was speaking to me.


You’re not dying.


Somebody was inside my mind.


Not inside, but its telepathy, my child. Just trust in me. Will you trust me?


Yes! I cried. I was desperate. Save me, please. I’m gonna die.


Alright. The other being said. Submit your consciousness to me.


And at that moment, darkness enveloped me. I knew no more.