- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Going back in time to recall the memories of went down between Riya and Prisha way back then! perhaps you can spot the traits Eva inherited from her parents? lol.

--:: August 5th 1976 :: --

 

Riya and her husband Binu sat together on the coach in their living room waiting for the arrival of their daughter alongside her friend she was bringing along from Germany.

 

“Where is this girl? Time is going so fast” Riya complained.

 

“Calm down Riya. Prisha will be here soon, you know traffic at this time of the day is crazy” Binu responded calmly.
“So? I want to see this friend that she is bringing home to us today. It must be that boy she has not stopped rambling about since she went to study off in Germany. I wish she had just stayed home to study instead of going abroad” Riya responded to her husband flicking her nails absent minded.

 

“Riya she is on her way here will you stop being impatient? For the last time I am glad she went away to study abroad because this gave her a chance to explore the world outside our home.“ Binu stated calmly as his wife threw him an annoyed glare.

 

“You always let that child get her way Husband that is why she is so spoilt today” Riya spat at Binu.

 

Binu sighed placing the cup of jasmine tea down on the small coffee table knowing that those were fighting words from his spiteful wife. He counted to ten in his head before grasping the cup of tea in his hand again to take another sip.


“You will not talk hm?” Riya sneered at her husband.

 

Binu continued to sip his tea ignoring her as his mind began to think about other things while Riya huffed childishly at her him. The married couple sat in silence for another thirty minutes till the silver tongued voice of their beloved daughter Prisha snapped the couple out of their thoughts.

 

“Mama! Papa! I have returned home. Did you both miss my face?” Prisha called out to them as she walked into the living room whereas Bruno chose to wait behind. He wanted to give her time to chat with them and introduce him when the time was right.

 

“Piya welcome home we do have your brother visiting us more often. Still I’ve missed you I don’t know about your mother.” Binu greeted his daughter watching her eagerly run into his arms.

 

“Pfft you are just saying that papa you love me more than Ansh. I am your favorite papa I knew you’d miss me the most” Prisha retorted cuddling into his warmth.

 

“That is why you are spoilt Prisha! Now come give your mama a hug” Riya cut in sarcastically.

 

Father and daughter sighed together at Riya’s statement. Reluctantly Prisha pulled away from him to embrace her mother.

 

Riya  drew back with a small smile towards her daughter as she looked her up and down to see that she was more tanned than when she last  saw her six months ago.

 

“Hm you are looking darker Prisha. You did not use the skin creams I sent you?” Riya questioned her daughter who rolled her eyes inwardly.


“No mama I did not use the creams you sent me. There is nothing with my skin. I will not bleach my skin for your control” Prisha replied drawing away from the embrace.

 

Riya was about to respond to the cheekiness spewing from Prisha’s mouth when Binu stepped to avoid the pair to start arguing like they would normally any other day.

 

“Now do not start arguing when we have been reunited after so long! Now my little girl please introduce me to the young man standing behind the front door. He looks thirsty” Binu stated to his daughter with his hands on her shoulders pushing forward to the door.

 

“Bruno!” Prisha gasped remembering her boyfriend waiting for her to introduce him.

 

Bruno?! Where in India have I heard a man be called that eh Binu?” Riya mumbled to her husband who could only sigh having no clue on how to answer this crazy woman he was stuck with.

 

Prisha returned seconds later pulling a tall lanky young man into the living room to shock of her parents. They stood viewing a bronzed skinned young man with a pair of striking green blue coloured eyes and a messy head of curls framing his face.

 

Bruno brushed off any creases in his short navy blue shirt to look up and gaze into the dazed faces of Prisha’s parents.

 

Bruno felt the sweat building on his neck from the intense gazes thrown his way from his girlfriend’s parents. He chose that it was the right time to break the anxious atmosphere by bringing out his hand out in greeting and a sweet smile.

 

“Good afternoon my name is Bruno. I am Prisha’s boyfriend” Bruno greeted in a heavy German accent.

 

“Boyfriend?!” Riya screeched in horror at the young man in front of her.

 

Oh Bruno and his big mouth! We agreed to wait a few days till we break the news we are officially together. I will have to save his mouth as usual

Prisha thought sighing.

 

“Mama please we are just friends! Isn’t that right Bruno?!” Prisha replied elbowing Bruno. He chuckled nervously as he nodded his head realizing he had almost messed up their plans.

 

Friend? Thank goodness! You are not my daughter's servant? Surely you are just here to guide her back home and return to your country” Riya retorted jolted out of the shock relieved that this boy was just a friend.

Mama!” Prisha scolded.

“Would you calm down Riya?! They are clearly friends! Please young man forgive my wife. Now what is your name again?” Binu deflected shaking the younger man’s hand snapping back from the news.

 

“All is forgiven my name is Bruno sir. At least my name is not too long to remember” Bruno replied with a shrug of his shoulders cracking a slight joke.

 

Arguments avoided the couple were able to settle in Prisha’s parents home for the next few days. Meeting in secret together alongside when Prisha was free from the clutches of Riya. When she did have her daughter by her side, she used the time to parade her around the town buying groceries and other small tasks that needed to be done.

 

It was early in the morning on the fifth day when Binu witnessed his daughter and friend kissing in the back balcony alone. He’d been looking for his daughter in hopes to spend some time with her before his wife could snatch her away for whatever trip he did not want to be part of.

 

Coughing into his hand loudly alerted the couple to their unwanted guest as they pulled apart to see the stern face of Binu glaring at the pair clearly unamused by what he had just witnessed.

 

“Eh hey papa what brings you to see me and Bruno?” Prisha blurted weakly against her father’s stern expression.

 

“Hello sir. Um we were not kissing or anything just eh—ow!” Bruno rambled, cut off by the smack to the shoulder.

 

“First of all you both can explain everything from top to bottom Go” Binu ordered dragging one of the spare chairs to seat on.

 

The duo began to explain the story to Prisha’s father who sat with a stony faced expression throughout the entire history of their relationship up till now. After forty minutes of talking shared between them alongside taking water breaks they sat together holding hands sharing sheepish looks waiting for Binu’s reaction.

 

The kids look so happy I might not be hundred percent be happy with Prisha’s choice in a man but who am I to stop her from finding true happiness. Binu thought inwardly over the discussion.

 

“It is not my right to force you to change your mind being with him because you are grown to create your own path. If this young man makes you happy then I have no say even through it will take me some time to get used to seeing you with a white man my child. Your mother is going to be the one who will be hard to convince” Binu replied sharing his thoughts.

 

“Oh thank you papa! I am so glad you accept us” Prisha jumped up from her seat to fling her arms around her old man in a brief tight squeeze.

 

Binu chuckled dryly used to Prisha’s over the top antics as she drew away to reply “mama is going to be hard to crack but she should be happy that I found someone who loves me. Even if she doesn’t like you love”

 

“I noticed she seems to hate my presence even when I am harmlessly doing nothing heh” Bruno responded rubbing his neck nervously.

 

“How about this? You both can announce your relationship during dinner tonight? My wife will be back from gossiping with her friends and be in a good mood” Binu suggested to the duo.

 

“That is brilliant papa! I’m going to go see a friend next door.  Stay behind I will not be long” Prisha responded giving her a boyfriend a kiss to the cheek before rushing out of the room leaving the men alone.

 

Bruno didn’t want awkward silence to continue stretching between himself and Binu. He decided to bring up the topic of marriage to Binu’s father. A thought that had plagued his mind before they had arrived to India alongside the ring he had bought hidden in his suitcase from Prisha.

 

“So sir what do you think of marriage?” Bruno blurted out to the surprise of Binu who focused his attention on the young man in front of him.

 

“I am married young man. Why do you ask?” Binu pointed out with narrowed eyes suspicious by the sudden question.

 

Taking all the courage he had in within, Bruno squared his shoulders gazing somberly into the brown eyes of Binu. He stated calmly “well I want to ask for your blessing because I want to marry Prisha”

 

Binu sat in his chair with wide eyes and mouth slack by the sudden news from Bruno. The icy glare he received from the younger man was proof that he was serious towards his sudden statement.

 

Quickly he schooled his features back to neutral with his blunt response.

“Do you truly love my daughter that you will able to be able her shield from the backlash she is going to get from my family and community if she says yes to you alongside any other trials that come your way? Do you love her that much you will never run away from her?”

 

“Sir I know how it feels to be shunned by your family and become the black sheep in a family of multi-talented people. I promise with every breath I have on this earth that I will do my best to keep Prisha happy for her own happiness and mine. I have found my soulmate in a beautiful woman who is just selfless and kind to everyone she knows because that is one of the many traits that made me truly fall madly in love with the daughter you bought to this world. I stand by my statement whether they sound cheesy or untruthful to you sir” Bruno stated solemnly sharing eye contact with Bruno.

 

“Hm your words sound true young man. What I have witnessed these last days has shown me you treasure my daughter. It will take me some time getting used to you but time is here to make changes. Good luck facing my wife” Binu replied with a half-smile at Bruno.

 

“Sir that is good enough for me. Shall we have a glass of Punch I made from the fridge this morning? There is still some left in the fridge” Bruno replied with a beaming smile feeling the tension from his shoulders fade away. He was relieved to know he had blessings from Binu to propose to Prisha.

 

The pair rose to their feet together walking back into the house meeting Prisha half way to enjoy the punch made by Bruno.

 

Soon after the drinks were finished and the trio were sat together Bruno prospered to the disbelief of Prisha who immediately agreed jumping into his arms as she peppered his face with kisses whereas Binu watched with a dejected smile to see his now baby girl become engaged in front of him.

 

.

.

.

:: - Dinner time  - ::

 

Dinner was a quiet affair amongst the family of three and their guest sitting opposite of each other around the spacious table eating from the enjoyable food and drink spread out on the table.

 

“So what did you study at university young man?” Riya questioned suddenly while spreading butter on a piece of bread.


“I studied a combined course Construction and Architecture. I would love to explain the whole course but we would be here all night to early in the morning” Bruno joked. Father and daughter shared a chuckle from his joke.

 

“He was so passionate staying indoors getting his work done. Dragging him out was tiring” Prisha responded giggling with a roll of her eyes.

 

“Come on babe don’t embarrass me in front of your parents! Besides I had to drag you out to take breaks during finals weeks equality was needed” Bruno answered back shrugging his shoulders.

 

“Now Prisha why has your other hand been hiding all this time? You did not break a nail daughter?” Riya asked her daughter changing the subject not wanting to witness anymore of their supposed friendship.

Bruno squeezing Prisha’s hand under the table gave her the courage to bring her hand out showing off the two carat gold ring decorated with diamonds around the swirl design on the ring.

 

Prisha gasped when she saw the expensive ring on her finger. Instantly she grabbed her daughters hand to get a closer look at the ring with an amazed expression.

 

“This ring Prisha?! Who prospered to you?!” Riya demanded with angry eyes aimed at her daughter.

 

“Well Bruno prospered earlier this afternoon mama. We are engaged” Prisha gushed with a breathtaking smile at her mother.

 

“What? This boy you claimed to be your friend days ago?! You cannot be engaged! I rebuke this marriage child! You have ruined the plans I had for you to marry Muhammad. You remember him your childhood friend who is a good man with a respectful family! You are promised to that man” Riya snapped dropping Prisha’s hand in disgust from the news.

 

“Mama I am not a child anymore! I am old enough to make my own choices and my choice is to be happy with Bruno not whoever you want to saddle me with and be unhappy. I will not be bow down to your control” Prisha barked back.

 

“You will marry Muhammad not this boy from a foreign land what will the neighbors and our family think of us! I am still your mother whether you like it or not. You are still living under my roof!” Riya shouted at her only daughter, fury burning in her eyes.

 

“I do not care for them mama. It is not their business to gossip about this union! I will marry Bruno whether you like it or not!” Prisha yelled back at her mother.

 

“Now both of you stop shouting please—“Binu said stepping before he was cut off by Riya. She blamed him believing all of this mess was his fault for giving her too much freedom to disobey and look where it lead to marry into the arms of a foreign man.

 

 Now Bruno had been watching this argument unfold between mother and daughter seeing how furious his fiancé was becoming.

 

“Please stop fighting! All of this shouting will not help.  I prospered to Prisha because I love her for who she is inside and how happy she makes me why is that not enough?” Bruno butted in to try and defuse the stressed atmosphere.

 

“Your words are irrelevant boy. It is your fault that this whole mess started. Why not just let Prisha give you back the ring then you can return back to wherever you came from” Riya sneered at Bruno.

 

“He is not going anywhere mama! Why can’t you see that he is a good man? He has proved himself these last few days that he is the man for me!” Prisha jumped in defending Bruno.

 

“I do not care if he is a good man or not He will not marry you Prisha! He is not of Indian Blood I will disown you if you marry this filth!” Riya yelled heatedly.

 

“RIYA!” Binu shouted at his wife trying to stop her tiring rant.

 

“Will you shut up you stupid fool!” Riya snarled at her husband giving him another chilling gaze with a pointed finger as the two began to argue.

 

Prisha felt drained from the constant shouting match that was going on. All she wanted was a quiet evening to celebrate the engagement instead all she saw was a family broken by tradition and wealth. In that instant she decided that marrying Bruno was a decision from her heart and no one would stop her.

 

“Mama you do not want me to marry Bruno? Disown me! Bruno and I are leaving” Prisha stated cutting into her parents arguments.

 

Neither one of you are leaving! My threat is still valid Prisha!” Riya warned.

 

“Let us go pack my Perle (Pearl). We have a long flight ahead of us” Bruno added squeezing Prisha’s shoulders briefly before glaring at Riya.

 

Rising to their feet and holding hands the couple walked out of the room without a glance behind them as Riya tried to follow behind them but Binu blocked her path.

 

“You will leave them alone woman! It is your fault that Prisha is leaving with that young man! Instead of begging her to come back and be happy for her you are spewing nonsense!” Binu rebuked at his wife glaring down at her with arms spread out.

 

For once Riya was speechless from his statement, she wisely choose to sit back down and think over what had just happened.

 

 -- :: November 15th 1977 :: --                  

 

When Bruno and Prisha left India that day, they decided to marry in Germany where a small wedding was held with Binu and Bruno’s family in attendance. Thankfully Bruno’s parents were kind to pay for his ticket to attend the wedding while Riya refused to come opting to stay back.

 

In the last two years the married couple had settled in Germany in a medium sized flat in the city enjoying their honeymoon bliss. But in the beginning of the year around mid-February, the married couple were at a small reunion between friends from their university days when suddenly Prisha ran to the nearest restroom holding one hand to her mouth. Bruno found his wife throwing up in the restroom that one of his friends had informed him that she had ran off in a panicked rush.

 

Leaving the party early the couple rushed straight to the hospital fearing something was wrong when they were told by the doctor that Prisha was pregnant.

 

The pair were overwhelmed in sea of emotions to find out they were expecting. Quickly their emotions switched to delight. They had been using the rest of the year to get themselves ready for the arrival of their first born.

 

It was now mid- November where a very pregnant Prisha was laying with pillows plumped against her back and her legs spread out. She munched on a breadstick covered in melted cheese from a bowl on top of her huge belly. While munching away she held a book in hand when her husband walked into their shared bedroom holding the house phone in his hand, his lips pressed together grimacing.

 

“Liebling (darling) we have a phone call from India...” Bruno trailed off as Prisha placed the book aside to focus on him.

 

“Is it papa again sugams?” Prisha questioned.

 

“No Liebling it is your mother…” He responded sighing.

 

“What does she want? Suddenly calling after two years” Prisha snarled.

 

“Please calm down sunshine just hear her out and see what she wants if it’s not for good you can cut the call” Bruno suggested calmly.

 

Bruno went to the other side of the bed before handing the phone to her. He quietly went to sit by her side to overhear the conversation between his wife and mother in law.

 

“Mother hello.” Prisha greeted coolly.

 

“Prisha what happened to calling me mama? Eh” Riya asked.

 

“At the moment you do not deserve to be called mama. How about apologizing for your statements two years ago because that would be wonderful to hear from you as you have not called in so long so what other reason could you be calling out of the blue today” Prisha replied bluntly not in the slightest mood to play games with her.

 

“I will not apologize for my words two years ago I stand by my words Prisha. Yet you still went to marry him. But I am not calling you over what is in the past. Your father informed me this morning that you are pregnant and have been for so long. That man always keep secrets from me. I am disappointed that I am not the first to know about your pregnancy” Riya answered sadly.

 

He didn’t tell you because you would gossip it around the neighborhood back home in spite instead of celebration. Prisha thought.

 

Sharing a look with Bruno who mouthed to her make up a lie why they did not say anything.

 

“We preferred not tell anyone till we knew that the pregnancy was certain” Prisha fibbed confidently to her mother.

 

“Hm.. Could I know what you are having Prisha? I want to send some items to you for the little one” Riya replied a hint of hope in her voice.

 

“We are having a girl mother. Ask papa he has everything anyway mother I have to go Bruno and I have an appointment with the doctors soon.” Prisha lied. She did not want this conversation with her mother to last too long knowing how they could easily butt heads over any topic she chose to talk about.


“I am happy we spoke child... I do miss you if that matters. Chat to you some other time” Riya confided to her only daughter sighing softly before she put the phone down.

 

Giving the phone back to her husband Prisha rubbed her temples in hopes to sooth the small migraine from the short conversation she had with mother.

 

“She didn’t even bother apologizing about her statements two years ago. Typical behavior she is too proud to bother seeing her own flaws!” Prisha growled while Bruno gently pulled her to his side rubbing her whale sized stomach to sooth his furious wife.

 

“Let us just focus on happier times. At least she is not here to give you any more stress thankfully” Bruno replied while Prisha snuggled further into his embrace as much as she could with a wide bump separating them.

Chapter End Notes:

I have updated once more! Huzzah! lol. I hope this clears up the tension between Riya and Prisha back in the past. next chapter we are back with Eva and the gang ^^. 


Enjoy!