- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Okay, please do not hate me. I feel sick after writing this chapter, it was so hard for me. I only wrote what I needed for the story but it is a tough one... Please understand it's for the sake of the story... and please forgive me MJ (love you!)

   Michael had already started planning by the time he had made it back to Joseph's house. The sneers from his siblings didn't even phase him and he had a little pep in his step as he unloaded the packages and carried them into the house. Though he tried his best to hide it, every once in a while a smile would creep upon his face and he'd let a chuckle slip out. Latoya became very suspicious.

   "You're awfully cheerful, slave." She hissed as she walked down the stairs towards him. She wore a robe, her hair was tied up in a bun and she was carrying a mug. As she moved closer, Michael could smell the alcohol in it. "So tell me," She stopped to examine him. "What in the world does the little cinder boy have to smile about?"

   Michael knew not to take the bait. "I'm just in a good mood." He said as he finished unpacking the parcels he had carried in.

   "Ha!" Latoya spit at him. "About what? Your ratty clothes? Your dirty face? Please."

   "It's just a nice day." Michael shrugged quietly as he continued with his work.

   "Liar!" She hissed again. "You're hiding something and I demand you tell me." She got in his face and he could smell the alcohol on her breath.

   "Lotoya, Joseph's gonna be home soon and he's gonna know you been drinking-"

   "How dare you, you spoiled brat!" She shrieked and she threw the liquor from the mug in Michael's face and threw the mug to the ground and shattering it into pieces. "Look what you've done! Clean it up! NOW!"

   Michael ran to get the broom and dust pan terrified of his sister's rage but thankful to get away from the conversation. While in the kitchen he grabbed a towel wiping the sickly smelling liquor from his face. He looked into the tiny mirror hanging across from him. "Just a few more days." He whispered to the shaken man in the mirror. "You got this, just a few more."

   As Michael walked back into the living room to clean the remains of Latoya's cup Joseph walked in the door. "What the hell's all this yellin in here?" He asked uninterested.

   "Michael broke my mug daddy."Latoya pouted to her father. Michael concentrated on sweeping the shattered porcelain but couldn't resist rolling his eyes at the floor.

   "You gonna do extra chores to pay for that boy. Now quit upsetting your sister. She gotta show to do tonight." Joseph ordered without even looking at Michael.

   "Yes sir." Michael mumbled starting to feel sick to his stomach at the sharp contrast between the way he was treated compared to his siblings.

   "All bow to his royal majesty, King Jermaine of LA." Jermaine's loud mouth could be heard before he actually got into the room.

   "Please." Latoya rolled her eyes. "You ain't no king."

   "Haha, maybe not yet but after this ball Friday night I will be. So you better be nice to me little sis." He went to rub his fist on the top of her head but she smacked his hand away with a laugh.

   "What are you talking about?"

   "The king is having a ball this Friday night. All eligible young men are invited so the princess can find a husband, and I'm her man." He strutted about the room.

   "You ain't the marrying type." Latoya laughed again.

   "You know that and I know that but she don't have to know that." They both giggled.

   "Please." Michael mumbled under his breath. He now felt bad for the princess and prayed she was not dumb enough to fall for his brother.

   "Can I go too Daddy?" Latoya turned to her father.

   "Sure, we'll all go." Joseph smiled causing Latoya to squeal. She quickly hugged him and ran back upstairs to pick out what she wanted to wear.

   "What are you lookin at?" Jermaine demanded cockily still strutting about the room. "I hope you don't think you're going." Michael had been unaware of his staring. Jermaine walked up to his brother and got in his face. "I don't think Princess Jocelyn would appreciate you getting her dress all dirty."

   Michael did his best to feign disappointment. "Can't I go? It did say all eligible men, right? Aren't I eligible?" This caused Jermaine to laugh in his face.

   "No you can't go." Joseph snapped. "You have extra chores to do to pay for that sup you broke. Besides, you ain't got nothin to wear to a ball."

   Michael let out a sigh of disappointment. Jermaine laughed as he walked by him. "Phew man, you stink." He said and walked up the stairs to his room.

   "Joseph, I really wish I could go-" Michael started.

   "What the hell you still talking about that for? I said no." Joseph got up from the sofa and started towards Michael. "And why ain't your lazy ass in the kitchen yet? Are we ever gonna get to eat?"

   Michael decided that he had made his wish to go to the ball believable enough and he did not want to push Joseph any further. He had just turned around to go to the kitchen when he felt the rough hand grab his shoulder and spin him around. "Do I smell liquor on you boy?" Michael's eyes lit up with fear. "You been drinkin?"

   "N-no sir."  Michael stuttered. "Latoya spilled it on me."

   "Don't lie to me boy." Joseph yelled as Michael felt his hand connect with his face.

   Michael let out a whimper of pain as his hand shot up to the sore place on his face and he stumbled backward. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" He cried.

   Joseph's large hand grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him so close that Michael could feel his breath when he spoke. "Don't you bring liquor in my house again and don't you dare lie to me." Joseph threw Michael and he crumpled to the ground. "Now, go make my dinner." He ordered coldly and he walked away.

 

   "Dear God," Michael whimpered into the night after everyone had gone to bed. "Please help me leave this place. Whatever way I have to take to get out, please just show me the way and help me make it. I've tried to stay strong but I don't think I can be strong anymore. Please help me find love and help me not to be afraid anymore." He paused and looked up at the night sky through the open kitchen window. "And please do not let Princess Jocelyn chose Jermaine as her husband. No one deserves that. Thank you, Amen."