- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Enjoy! Sorry it took so long you guys lol

It had only been a couple weeks after the release of 'Bad' and it was doing extremely well! Not that I didn't expect anything less. Michael had really put all of his heart and soul into the creation of this album along with Quincy. I was so ecstatic that it was getting all the recognition it truly deserved. The tour wasn't supposed to start until sometime around mid/late November however, tonight was the annual Grammys and 'Bad' had been nominated for quite a few awards. I originally had planned on watching the show from my dorm but Michael dismissed that immediately with the wave of his hand. I remembered him looking at me like I had grown 3 heads, his brown eyes wide. "Seriously Haze, you honestly think I'm gonna go to the show tonight without my girlfriend by my side?!" I had shyly smiled as he laughed. "Trust me. I WANT you to no scratch that. I NEED you to be by my side tonight. It's about time we went public with our relationship anyway." I had remained quiet for a few moments, my anxiety slowly kicking in my veins. I was never comfortable with tons of attention on me, let alone going to an award show. "Michael, I, I don't know..." I said, my voice heavy with worry. His eyes had softened. "Please baby? For me?" He asked, walking up to me in my dorm, gently pulling my body towards his chest. I felt my breathing hitch. Damn. He still had an affect on me. "I promise you'll be fine. I won't let anyone bother you if that's what you want..." he whispered, his lips inches from my own. I had found my gaze locked on his lips. God how I wanted them to attack mine at that moment. "So...What do you say? I'd be honoured to have you as my date tonight Hazel Johnson..." Michael said with a smile, squeezing my waist. Nodding, I breathed out a reply. "O-Okay. I'll go...just kiss me" Michael laughed, touching my cheeks with his slender fingers. "Hm you don't have to ask me twice..." his voice trailed off as he kissed me....

It had been a few hours after Michael had left my dorm to go get ready for the award show. I still sat on my bed, letting out an exasperated sigh. What was I gonna wear? Should it be something simple and cute? Should I wear something daring and revealing? Or would that be too much? After all, this would be the FIRST time ever the public would get to see me as Michael's official girlfriend. Just the thought of that was enough to make me sick. "Ugh I don't think I can do this..." I said to myself, feeling my stomach begin to churn slightly and the room spin. Suddenly there was a knock on my door. I groaned. "Come in!" "Hey hey hey" the deep rough voice called out. I gave a small smile. "Kendrick! Hey" I gave him a hug. We had become such close friends since he started going here. I looked around behind my friend, making a face. "Oh the girlfriend's not with you?" Kendrick shook his head. "Nah Adrianna went out with her girls. She left me all alone tonight" "Aww I'm sorry. You must be miserable huh" I joked, faking a pout. Kendrick laughed, taking a seat on top of my desk. "Haha it's aight though. At least now I get to see my other favorite girl in the whole world" he winked making me giggle. I continued to look around in my closet. Jeez I couldn't find ANYTHING to wear! Once again, I let out another sigh. Kendrick noticed this. "Aw what's wrong baby girl? Goin out with the 'boo' tonight?" I blushed. "Yeah. I just can't find anything good to wear" "Where y'all going? The movies? A restaurant?" I turned around to face him. "I'm uh, I'm going to the Grammys..." Kendrick's eyes went wide. He coughed a little. "Wait what?! Hold up You mean like the ACTUAL Grammys?! The award show?!" I nodded shyly. Kendrick whistled. "Damn Hazel that's so cool! I keep forgetting your dating a big celebrity now haha. Isn't he nominated too?" "Yeah" "That's awesome!! I know you've gotta be excited....right?" I faked a smile. "Can't wait" "Uh uh what's going on?" Kendrick asked, patting the chair in front of the desk. I took a seat. "Of course I'm excited to be going but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous... hell I'm terrified Kenny...I just don't want them to hate me you know?" "Them?" "You know, the public? More specifically, his fans. I just hope they like me..." "Aw girl of course they will! But You can't focus on people's perceptions of you, Hazel. You'll just worry yourself to death by doing that. Just enjoy yourself and hold your head up high. You'll be just fine." I reached over to give him a hug. "Thanks Kendrick. I needed to hear that. I'm probably just overreacting" Kendrick nodded, letting me go. Getting up from my desk, he dug in the back of his jeans pocket for his wallet. I gave him a confused look as he pulled out money, holding it out. "Um, Kenny I, I can't take this" Kendrick shook his head, readjusting the black snapback hat on his head. "No. I want you to take this Hazel. You deserve it. I wanna help you get ready for your man to tonight" he joked. "Are You sure?" I was still hesitant to take the large amount of cash from him. He nodded,a big smile on his features. "I insist! Now come on let's go before the stores get too crowded" he held his large caramel hand for me to take. "A-Alright" I said, the two of us heading for his car.

 

By the time we arrived at the mall, I was having so much fun hanging out with Kendrick. He was a lot like another big brother to me. We had so much in common and I felt safe with him, like I could tell him anything and he wouldn't judge me. While we were shopping, I noticed Kendrick would glance at me every now and then, his eyes would linger a little longer than usual but I didn't think anything of it and simply shrugged it off. "Okay what about this?" I asked, walking out of the dressing room in a sparkling golden Versace dress that flowed down my legs. Kendrick had been playing on his cell, but the moment he saw me, he froze. "Damn." he breathed out. I giggled. "What? Is it too much? Should I try something else?" "No no it's perfect. This is the one. You look stunning Hazel..." Kendrick said seriously. I examined myself in the long mirror. The gown was very elegant and sexy. It showed just the right amount of skin. And it really helped bring out my skin tone, making it have a sensual glow. "Alright now time for the accessories" Kendrick said as he bought the dress and we continued to shop around. I decided on a pair of gold high heels with gold bracelets to match. I picked out a little golden handbag with some chanel perfume. I had even gotten my hair straightened and makeup freshly done. "Ooo look at you lookin all pretty" Kendrick joked as I pretended to flip my long black hair over my shoulder. The two of us were now heading back to the car and I shot Michael a quick text to have him and the limo driver meet me at the studio. "Alright I guess this is when we part ways huh" Kendrick said, pulling up to the studio entrance as the black limo pulled up around the same time, Michael stepping out of it. I nodded, looking over my appearance in the passenger mirror. God my heart was racing. "I don't know how to thank you for all of this Kenny. How can I repay-" "Shhh" Kendrick placed a finger on my lips, making sure not to smudge the red lipstick I wore. I was already fully dressed, bathed in chanel perfume and all. "Don't thank me alright? Just have the time of your life tonight. You deserve it...." Kendrick whispered, his eyes lingering on my lips. Noticing this, I looked away. I didn't feel comfortable with how intense his eyes were and how he was looking at me. "I uh, I've gotta go" I whispered, unbuckling my seat belt, staring to get out but Catching me off guard, Kendrick had grabbed my wrist, pulling me towards him. He then placed a soft kiss on my cheek, just barely missing my mouth. I was shocked. Not knowing how to respond, I felt myself freeze in fear. "Kendrick I, I gotta go n-now" I stuttered, practically running out of the car. Kendrick finally drove off and I looked up in horror to find a pair of familiar browns meet with mine. Shit. He had seen everything...

 

"M-Michael, I, I can e-explain" I stuttered, feeling horrible. Not responding right away, Michael simply held his hand up. "I don't want him near you anymore...." I let out a shaky sigh as the two of us got inside the limo, heading to the award show. The ride there was so awkwardly quiet. All I kept thinking about was how much Michael must've hated my guts. "I don't hate you of that's what your thinking..." his elegant voice broke my thoughts. "I, I didn't know that he was gonna kiss my c-cheek. I, I tried to get away from h-him-" I was suddenly cut off by Michael's lips attacking mine, leaving me breathless. "I already told you I'm not mad..." he said threw kisses. I broke our kiss, my chest heaving up and down and the limo slowly came to a stop. "Mr. Jackson we're here" the limo driver said. Michael nodded, quickly adjusting the red blazer he wore. He then looked over at me, grabbing my hand. I guess he could clearly see the emotion written all over my face at that moment as the sounds of fans screaming outside seemed to intensify. "You ready?" He asked, his thumb lightly gazing my Palm. Letting out a sigh, I nodded. "Yeah" "Okay..." Michael opened the car door and immediately the sounds of screams could be heard along with flashing bright lights. I held on to Michael's hand for dear life as we took pictures on the red carpet. Once we made our way inside the auditorium, I breathed out the sigh that I hadn't realized I had been holding in all this time. "Smelly! There you are! And Bambi look at you!!" A familiar voice called out. I smiled, giving Quincy a huge hug. We were seated next to him and his wife Twiggy. "You alright?" Michael whispered to me as the show was beginning to start. I nodded, flashing him a reassuring smile. 

 

It was already an hour into the show and so far Michael had been nominated quite a few times but he wasn't winning. I could tell it hurt him deeply but he tried hard not to let it show. It was now time for Michael to do his performance of the night. I had actually forgotten that he was supposed to perform! He had left during intermission to go backstage and get ready. The moment he hit the stage, the audience went CRAZY. It was truly amazing to see. He had performed 'The Way You Make Me Feel' and then 'Man in the Mirror' He brought the Andre Croutch choir out to perform with him and the whole experience was just memorizing to see. Seeing Michael perform was like NOTHING else. He'd become a whole different person and I could tell onstage is where he truly felt comfortable and at peace. By the time he finished, everyone was on their feet cheering, some even crying. I think it was safe to say I was probably cheering and clapping the loudest. "Thank you so much" Michael breathed out into the mic, his chest heaving up and down. His eyes had scanned the audience and the moment his eyes locked with mine, I felt an excited chill run down my spine. I was SO proud of him!

 

'Man in the Mirror' was nominated for 'Song of the Year' as well as for 'Best Songwriting' It was so surreal. Knowing that I actually was nominated for that category! However, when the presenter walked out, I gasped. Her long chestnut curly hair up in a bun, the short white dress with black poka dots she wore, looked like second skin, showing off all her curves. The presenter then pretended to hide her face as the whistles from the audience and cheers continued. "Aw thank you. You all are too kind!" She said into the Mic. I felt Michael's hand squeeze mine. "Alright the nominees for 'Best Songwriting' are: Whitney Houston for "So Emotional" Prince for "Sign of the Times" U2 for "Joshua's Tree" and....um, I think the name's Bazel? Oops I apologize. I mean Hazel Johnson for "Man in the Mirror" I looked over at Michael and I could tell he as well as Quincy were pissed. Tatiana had purposely mispronounced my name...and in front of ALL these people...I felt so embarrassed but also angry. What a total bitch. "And The winner is...." Tatiana took her time to open the white envelope. She gasped loudly. "Oh my gosh!!! The winner is my baby Prince for 'Sign of the Times!!" She yelled into the mic. I watched as Prince proudly took the stage, planting a huge wet kiss on Tatiana's lips before taking the Grammy from her hands. So they were a couple now huh. I wasn't surprised. Michael's hand was squeezing mine so hard I'm pretty sure it had turned blue. It was now time for the most important and biggest award of the night: 'Album of the Year' The presenter had walked out to the theme music and began reading off the nominees after making some cheesy joke. The moment Michael's name came up for 'Bad' the audience went wild. Michael shyly gave a small smile and Quincy held his head up high. "And....the winner....for 'Album of the Year' is....Yes!!! U2!!!" The presenter squealed. Michael and Quincy's smiles both faded. "Damn. I'm Sorry smelly...." Quincy said, patting Michael's shoulder. His expression remained blank. Unreadable. "Come on, let's go you guys" his voice was soft as we got up and left the packed auditorium. The ride back to the hotel was extremely quiet. Michael kept his eyes locked on the window. Not knowing exactly what to say, I nervously played with my gold handbag. I knew he had to be devastated as well as embarrassed. He was nominated for so many different categories tonight and not once did he win anything. I knew how hard him and Quincy had worked on making 'Bad' successful. It had been almost four years since his last album dropped and he wanted to win just as many awards for it. I guess no one will be able to top the success of 'Thriller' not even Michael Jackson himself. Once we were inside the hotel, Michael had rented out two rooms. One for me,one for himself. We took the keys and headed up the stairs towards the rooms. Michael let out a sigh. "Well uh, this is your room. I'll see you in the morning..." he started to open up his door but I gently grabbed his hand, stopping him. "I'm so sorry about tonight...you really should've won Michael. You and Quincy worked too damn hard on this album for it not to get recognized...." I said. Michael simply shrugged it off. "Don't worry it's no big deal. I'll be fine. I'm just upset that Tatiana purposely said your name wrong....that was so fucking childish..." Noticing the look on my face, Michael reached out to touch my cheek. "Really Hazel. Honey I'll be alright. I'm just gonna get some sleep...you should too I know you've gotta be exhausted!" he joked, trying to laugh but it sounded so forced. "Goodnight..." he placed a quick kiss on my forehead before heading inside his room, quietly closing the door. Letting out a sigh, I walked inside my room, removing the heels I wore. My feet were sore freaking sore. After taking a shower, I changed into a pair of grey sweats with a white t-shirt. I climbed inside the large hotel bed, tossing and turning. The clock on the wall read 11:45 pm. I couldn't sleep. Getting up from the bed, I tiptoed out into the hallway and down towards Michael's room. Opening the door, I slowly walked inside. "Michael?" I called out in the darkness. Where was he? Suddenly I heard a noise. It sounded like someone sniffling. Turning on the light switch, I saw him sitting on the edge of the bed. I walked over towards him. "There you are. Why are you sitting in the dark?" Michael didn't respond, his vision casted down on the carpet. He was still in his black dress pants and white dress shirt, the red blazer on the floor along with his penny loafers. "...Baby?" I kneeled down in front of him. When I reached out to touch his face, his eyes finally met with mine. They were puffy and red. I then took a seat next to him on the bed. "You okay?" I asked softly. Michael didn't look at me. Instead he shook his head, his shoulders began to tremble. "N-No I'm n-not" his voice broke as he buried his face in his hands and started crying. "Come here" I whispered, pulling him towards me. He buried his face in my lap, clutching on to me as the sound of his sobs echoed throughout the hotel room. I remained quiet, trying to fight back my own tears as I rubbed his back.

Chapter End Notes:

Awwww :(Its a shame Michael didn't win any Grammys for 'Bad' because he DESERVED TO 100% I personally feel like he got robbed at the Grammys that year :/ What did y'all think of this chap? Please review!!!!