- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi readers!! Here's another chapter! I hope you enjoy!! Please don't forget to review!!!!
“You have to send me a post card or two Harry. I’ve always wanted to go to London.” Mother tells Harry as she sips her lemonade. I’d finally come to the decision that I’d allow Harry to go live with Leif. It was a very hard one but it had to be made. I in no way wanted to send my son so far away. Harry had never been out of my care a day in his life. Naturally I had some major concerns and doubts but this is what Harry wanted. I only had one condition however. I wouldn’t allow Harry to leave until he finished school. As if to spite me, the remanding weeks of school flew by and before I knew it Harry was on summer vacation. He was really eager to leave and Leif had already sent him a plane ticket. Harry was scheduled to leave today. I’d tried to spend as much time as possible with him before hand but each moment was really painful. Harry was still pretty upset with me so he was emotionally detached and I was only reminded that my one and only child would be going off to live with the man I wanted him to have nothing to do with.

Harry smiled. “Maybe you can come visit me.” He replied picking up a carrot with his fork. Mother had decided to hold this big going away dinner for Harry. I’d told her he was going to live with his dad for a while but I didn’t go into much detail. The news was pretty perplexing to Brooke and devastating to the girls. Michael of course already knew but for some odd reason he was not in attendance at dinner tonight. Even though he’d made me mad by kissing me in the park, he’d been really helpful to me and I was secretly wishing he’d be there to see Harry off.

Rowan frowned as she cut into her salmon.”Do you have to go so far away Harry?” She asked sadly. I sighed looking down at my hardly eaten plate of food. Everyone else had cleaned their plates and were helping themselves to seconds. I wasn’t really hungry. Usually, I was the type of girl who wouldn’t hesitate to shove my face in time of crisis but I just couldn’t bring myself to eat tonight. ‘It’s not forever Row. I’m coming back.” Harry assures his cousin. I’d tried telling myself that but it wasn’t working. No mother can grasp the idea of their child leaving them.

“Well, the good news is that you get a change of scenery. I bet you’ll be very happy to get some fresh air for a change. This city is nothing but polluted.” Brooke finished stabbing her fork into a slice of squash. There she goes turning her nose up at the city as if she wasn’t born and raised here too. Something about Brooke’s demeanor was way off today. She seemed snappy and angry. Even Brooke’s appearance was different. She’d cut her hair into a bob stopping a little below her chin. That gorgeous, shampoo commercial hair that Brooke took such pride in was gone. Something had to be up with her. “Erin, you haven’t really touched your plate. Are you okay?” Mother asked with concern. I sighed and I could feel Jacob’s hand grab hold of mine under the table, his thumb gently brushing across it. I’d explained everything about Harry to him and luckily he was very understanding of it all. He even agreed to go to dinner with me and help me see Harry off at the airport. I was so incredibly fortunate to have a man like him in my life.

“I’m fine Mom.” I replied slowly. From the corner of my eye I could see Jake send me a sympathetic smile. Mother did not look fully convinced of my well being so I forced a grin before forking some salmon into my mouth. That seemed to please her. If only she knew that I wasn’t okay.

****
Dinner seemed to end too quickly and before I knew it, Harry, Jacob and I were at the airport. The ride was very silent. Nobody spoke. I spent most of the time reminiscing about my moments with Harry. Like when he first started to walk and he’d wonder all over the apartment. Or when he was two and pronounced his name “Ha-wee” instead of “Harry”. When he had an asthma scare at four. His first soccer game at six. When he broke his wrist at ten and all the countless times he’d told me that I was the best mommy in the world. What happened to the sweet Harry I once knew? I knew he had to be in there somewhere. As much as I hate to say it maybe it would take going away for him to come back.

“You don’t have to do this Haz. We can always tell your dad you’re just not ready to leave yet.” I try to persuade Harry as he retrieves his luggage off the rotating conveyor belt. He turns to face me with an annoyed expression on his face. “No need to do that. I’m more than ready to leave.” Harry replies a bit sharply as swinging his duffle bag across his chest. Harry had only taken about as much clothes as he could pack in a duffle bag and two suitcases. I was hoping that Leif would be smart enough to get his son more clothes. Especially one’s that would be appropriate for London’s weather. I sighed defeatedly and Jacob shot me a worried glance. He was really quite and I could tell he felt rather uncomfortable considering that he was basically the common denominator in Harry’s departure.

I glanced down at my watch that I’d purposely worn for the day to keep track of the time and my heart sank. Harry’s plane would be leaving in about five minutes. I didn’t want him to miss his flight so whether I liked it or not I was going to have to start saying my goodbyes.

“If you ever want to come back home Haz, I’ll be right here waiting on you.” I spoke in all sincerity. Harry stares at me with those green eyes of his and nods. “Sure mom.” He replied. I sighed feeling a large lump form in my throat. “You know, it’s funny. I never thought you’d leave me so soon. I figured you’d leave the house when you turned thirty.” I laughed sadly trying to add humor to the situation. I just wanted to see Harry’s beautiful dimpled smile one last time. Just to my luck a faint smile spread over is thin lips. It wasn’t quite genuine but it was good enough. “Guess I’ve got an early start.” He replied. I smiled at him feeling the tears streaming down my face. “I love you so much Harry. I never want you to forget that. Ever. I don’t care how late it is here when you land you call me. Okay?” I can’t sleep if I don’t know you’re alright kiddo.” I replied tearfully while pulling Harry into the biggest, tightest embrace ever. I was happy to feel his arms around me, hugging me back. I gently pulled away and smooth his hair before placing a kiss on his forehead.

“I love you Mom. Don’t cry. I’ll be back.” Harry assured me softly. I just nodded. I was sobbing and if I spoke it’d all come out in gibberish. This just hurt too much for me to say anything more. As I whipped the tears that rapidly streamed down my face Harry turned to Jacob. His expression seemed cold but quickly softened. “If you’re going to stick around any longer you have to promise me that you’ll take care of my mom while I’m gone.” Harry tells him. Jake smiled. “You certainly have my word for it.” He assured my son as he securely wraps an arm around my waist. That just made me cry harder. Harry stands there for a minute before extending his hand to shake. Without hesitation, Jacob firmly returns the handshake. As if on cue the PA system announced Harry’s flight.

“Hey, that’s me.” He grinned softly. “Be safe Haz.” I managed to say through my tears. Harry smiled at me. “I will.” He replied. “Guess I’ll see you later?” Jake asked. Harry nodded. “Yeah.” I drew in a deep breath. “Go on before you miss your flight honey.” I softly commanded. Harry gave me one last smile and a final wave before slowly walking away. I watched his head of brown curls grow further and further away from my sight until he was finally gone. I was crying all over again.

“Babe, he’ll be back.” Jacob says soothingly as he wraps his arm around me slowly leading me away from the crowd of travelers. “I know he will. I know.”
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading and please review!!