- Text Size +

When I got up the next morning I dragged myself into the bathroom. Gigi and I were brushing our teeth side by side and she kept looking over at me with a stupid smile. “What!” I yelled irritated by her facial expression. “Nothing” she said as she began to giggle. “You should wear your black dress today, it’s really cute” she said while leaving the bathroom. I took a shower and searched for an outfit but when I couldn’t find anything I took her advice and put on the black dress. It was pretty tight but I wore a sweater over it so that I would be exposing too much. I put on my red pumps and straitened my hair. I hadn’t cut it since college so it reached the middle of my back. I grabbed my purse and headed out the door. When I got to the main lobby the security guard had to say something. “If you’re wondering where to go your department is on the 23rd floor” he said teasingly. We had become cool after he apologized days after our little argument. “Since when do you do your job Frank?” I asked swiping my ID and heading towards the elevator. As the doors were closing a big hand stopped it and the doors opened once more. Michael stepped in and stood beside me and might I say he looked good. He was wearing a untucked button up shirt with black jeans and loafers. He didn’t look very professional but he did look nice. “Nice dress Margret” he said looking me up and down. “Maybe you should call me by my real name now” I suggested trying to catch his gaze. “Why do you think that?” he asked looking down at my thighs which he’d seemed to be obsessed with since 10th grade. “Well because it’s inappropriate for you to call me by a pet name you’ve given me in high school” I responded pulling my dress down as he steal stared. Finally he looked up at me and said, “Whatever you say Ms. Haul”. “That’s worst then the nickname” I stated as the doors opened on our floor. He walked out before me and went the opposite way. I turned around and said, “Bye Michael” noticing him turned in my direction staring at my ass. His gaze slowly met my eyes as a smile appeared on his face. “Tootles Ms. Haul” he said slowly turning in the opposite direction. I couldn’t believe his boldness, it was absolutely unprofessional. I guess some things will never change. I walked into my waiting room and Brittney had the same stupid look Gigi had on her face earlier. “What?” I asked in an irritated tone. “What’s the deal between you and Mr. Jackson? The way he was smiling when he left here yesterday I would’ve thought that you two had a little something something going on In that room.” She looked over at me waiting for me to answer. “He’s an old friend. Don’t you have some work to do?” I asked walking to my office. I put my purse in one of the chairs in front of my desk and got to work. 12:30 came and it was lunch time. Brittney had already left but I stayed in my office doing work. I was reading a statement when a knock at my door interrupted me. I put the folder down and headed to the door. When I opened it there stood Michael with a big smile on his face. I opened the door wider to let him in and as he did, once again, he stared down at my legs. “Hey Michael you need something?” I asked taking him out of his trance. I sat back at my desk and he sat in the chair in front of it. “Aren’t you going to lunch?” He asked me looking around my office. “No I don’t feel like it” I said picking the document back up. “Do you still talk to Gigi?” He asked picking up some papers on my desk and going through them. “We live together” I said looking up from the paper into his eyes. “So you don’t live with your boyfriend?” He asked putting the papers back on my desk. “Unless Gigi’s my boyfriend then no” I said trying to figure out where he was getting at. Looking into his intense eyes sent chills through my body and I quickly looked into my lap. “Do you have a boyfriend, or husband, or kids?” He asked putting his elbows on my desk. “No no and no, that’s none of your business anyways” I responded getting quite irritated with his boldness. “I always thought you’d be married by 25, seeing that your life is always on a schedule” he started to play with my pens which I found quite immature. “Well I did too but I guess we were both wrong.” I said trying to flash a smile even though I wasn’t happy. “I didn’t mean to upset you Margret I was just curious” he said without even realizing that he called me Margret. “You did it again” I simply said rocking In my chair. “What did I do?” he asked looking up at me with a serious expression. “You called me Margret” I said as a smile started to stretch across my face. “Sorry it’s like second nature, I didn’t mean to” he said with a softer facial expression. “It’s fine, so do you have a wife, or girlfriend, or kids?” I asked mocking him. “Why do you care?” He asked as I notice his glance slightly go down to my lips. “I don’t I’m just asking you what you asked me” I responded looking out of the window so that I wouldn’t blush. “No I don’t, I have to go now so I guess I’ll see you later” he said suddenly getting up and moving towards the door. “Did I say something wrong?” I asked confused of his sudden exit. “No, no not at all I just have to go and start on this poster” he said with a look as if he was in deep thought. The end of the day came and right before I left Ms. Bronze approached me. “Hello Ms. Haul how was your day?” She asked holding a clip board. “Fine thank you” I responded trying to rush the conversation so that I could go. “Well you’ll be starting that project with the other directors tomorrow, so come bright eyed and bushy tailed.” I hurried out of the door as soon as she was finished talking and headed home. When I got home Gigi was already there watching TV. “Hey Gigi” I said while sitting on the couch beside her. “So how was your day?” She asked bringing her full attention to me. “Did Michael say anything to you?” She asked before I could answer. “We talked during lunch. Everyone left out and he came into my office” I said picking up the bowl of popcorn Gigi mad and taking a hand full. “What did you guys talk about?” She asked anxiously waiting for me to tell her. “Nothing much, he was just asking me questions about certain things like if I had a boyfriend. Just catching up” I said shoving popcorn in my mouth and getting up. “Ooooo someone has a thing for Yoyo” she said teasingly. “Oh shut up it’s not like that” I said closing my door before she could say anything else.


The next day I came into work and was definitely not bright eyed. I couldn’t really sleep the night before and I missed out on coffee. I walked into the meeting room and sat in the middle of the long oval table. It was glass which made me paranoid because I was clumsy. Michael walked in a little too energetic and sat across from me trying not to laugh. “Forget waking up on the wrong side you were in the wrong room” I narrowed my eyes at him and sat completely up. “You’re not funny” I responded yawning and looking down at my hands. I could sense that he was staring at me but I didn’t look up. Mr. Stevens walked in and flashed me a warm smile. “Hello Ms. Haul it’s so nice to finally meet you” he said coming over to my side of the table. He took my hand and kissed it which completely freaked me out. I hated when people did that, you could feel the wetness of their lips when they did so. Michael knew this and began to laugh at me uncomfortable facial expression. “It’s nice to meet you too Mr. Stevens” I quickly put my hand in my lap and wiped it off with my dress. “Michael” the man said looking over as if he didn’t like him and Michael just nodded and turned his attention back to me. “So I was thinking that we could go over some key points that attracts people to our products. I’ve made a power point explaining these factors and other variables that make us so successful.” He said all of this as if he was trying to impress me but it just made me irritated. Michael looked pleased at the results of this meeting and silently smiled to himself. “I’m sure that you can’t relate to all of this Ms. Haul because you’re too beautiful to use make up.” Mr. Stevens said this staring at me intensely which made m extremely uncomfortable. “Good one Carlton” Michael said holding back his laughter. “Your name is Carlton?” I asked trying to break the awkward feeling. “The fifth, of a long line of strong men” he looked proud of what he had just said and I tried to remain as friendly as possible. He turned around to finish his presentation and I took my pen and pretended to stab my eyes which made Michael burst with laughter. I immediately stopped knowing that Carlton would turn around but Michael continued to laugh. “I love this meeting” Michael said catching his breath. Carlton looked at Michael at first and then turned around to look at me. I smiled at him and nodded for him to continue and he blushed. Great, a weirdo in the office likes me and I have a strange feeling that Michael set it up. After the meeting I went to my office to gather my things. We had been in there all day listening to Carlton’s stupid speech. When I walked into the waiting room of my office Michael walked in the entrance at the same time. Brittney stared at the both of us intensely which made me uncomfortable. “Hey Marg...I mean Yahara. Since Carlton’s speech was so useless and we have a dead line and everything I was wondering if you wanted to work on it at my place?” He waited for me to answer and I stood there thinking about it. “Look okay I just want to get this thing done, nothing else intended.” He said with his hands up as if to surrender. “Well okay but just for a couple of hours I’m tired” I said looking back at Brittney who had a big smile on her face. “Hey Mr. Jackson” she said looking between the both of us. “Hello Ms. Barns” he said looking over at her and then at me catching her glare. “You can leave now Brittney” I said while heading out of the door as Michael followed close behind. When we got into the elevator I grew nervous at the thought of being over at his apartment. He pressed the lobby button and as we started to go down I felt regret.