- Text Size +

 

Michael was up early, driving out to the farm before he went to work. Katherine greeted him at the door with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

 

"How are you sweetie?" she asked.

 

"I'm doing fine mom. Are you sure everything's ok here?" Michael questioned.

 

"Michael, baby, stop all your worrying. The farm is fine. Mama's fine. Everything is okay," she chuckled.

 

Michael smirked, "Alright. I was just checking. I have to get to work."

 

"I appreciate you looking out for me. I do. You just don't need to worry about me so much, ok?" Katherine hugged and kissed her son again, and he left the house.

 

 

Michael arrived outside the Daily Planet the same time Lois did. What a pleasant surprise, he thought to himself.

 

"Michael, hey!" she scurried over. "How are you?"

 

"I'm doing great now," he winked and smiled. Lois laughed.

 

"Very funny. Did you feel the aftershocks last night? Crazy, huh? I hate earthquakes."

 

"Aw they weren't so bad. We've had worse," Michael replied.

 

"Yeah well they say we're due for a bad one soon," Lois said. "I hope they're wrong."

 

"Don't be so worried all the time." Michael laughed at the irony of hearing himself say those words.

 

 

The day was boring and moving quite slow. Jimmy had gotten a new camera and was amusing himself by taking random pictures and catching everyone off guard. Mr. White was waiting eagerly by the phone for some news...any news. He wanted stories, not page fillers. Michael was drawing stick figures on his notepad. Lois' head was propped up on her hands. She kept nodding off. Michael laughed quietly as he watched Lois close her eyes and lower her head, then quickly jolt back awake. He hoped Jimmy was getting pictures of that.

 

Suddenly, Mr. White came barreling out of his office. He'd gotten a tip that prisoners had escaped from Metropolis' maximum security prison. Within five minutes, Mr. White had everyone on the seventh floor working on that story. Reporters, researchers, photographers... everyone scurried about, gathering their things and getting straight to work. Lois grabbed Jimmy and went to get Michael as well. He told her to go on ahead. She and Jimmy ran for the elevator. Michael had a different job to do.

 

Swooping down from the roof, Superman took flight, headed for the prison. As he got closer, he saw some of the escapees. He rounded them up and bound them together with a light post and left a note for the police. He then continued on until he reached the prison. Superman was surprised to see Lex Luthor exiting the building.

 

"Busy day, fly boy?" Lex asked.

 

"I should have known you might have a hand in this, Luthor. What do you know about the prison break?" Superman questioned.

 

"Aw, come on! What would I want with a bunch of crooks?" he laughed.

 

"A little company maybe? You know the saying... birds of a feather," he repeated. Lex glared at Superman as he left the premises.

 

Inside, Superman was met by the warden, who explained everything they knew so far. Things didn't add up... not yet, at least. But this was bigger than anyone knew. Much bigger.