- Text Size +
Problem$
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luna couldn’t help but to worry about the specimens. 62 have just woken up, 72 is stuck to an oxygen tank, and her boss is going to spread the news to the man who almost killed 72. Ice shot up her spine, what will Conor do when he learns about 62?

Stuffing her hands in her pockets, Luna began to roam the halls of the spaceship; the only thing she saw was white. White everywhere. How blank, like her boss himself.

‘Shouldn’t I be celebrating?’ Luna thought to herself. Knowing that the experiments were a success , It must be a huge accomplishment to create human hybrids, even in space, But Luna felt cold inside, her head crammed full of questions needing answers, it ached so badly she wanted to tear her head off.

Luna ended up walking into Blank’s office. The huge doors and the oddly large door handle stood infront of her. ‘why am I here? Should I be with 62 by now?’ she thought, staring at the metal door handle. Luna wanted answers, no wonder she ended up in her boss office.

Luna took a deep breath and gripped the handle. Her palms already sweating. She gave it a yank, but it was locked shut. So much for luck.

A sudden beeping sound came from her radio. “ Luna! Were are you? 62 needs her checkup!” a familiar female voice sounded. Luna sighed and began to walk to where the newly awakened hybrid was held.

Luna quietly entered the room where 62 was in. Laid down on a metal table, just like 72, while scientists scrambled doing tests and taking her vital signs.

“out of the way! MOVE!” Luna shrieked as she squeezed her way through the crowd of scientists. The scientists moved out of the way, knowing Luna’s temper when she don’t get things her way.

Luna smiled weakly seeing the freshly awakened hybrid infront of her, laid on her side and curled up into a ball. Her eyes still darkened, but they weren’t open. A new set of wires and an oxygen mask were attached to her body. She looked so…fragile.

“miss Luna” a familiar female scientist walked up to her, the one who treated 72 when his lungs failed.

“ 62 is perfectly healthy, she has strong vital signs but then-“ she said, pausing to leaf through a clipboard in her hands.

“Something happened to her eyes, as you can see” she said pointing out the darkness around her eyes. “To what we believe, that when 72 transformed it could be the strong bloodline between them that caused both changes in their bodies”

Luna tugged at her white hair anxiously “what’s the changes then in their bodies?”

The scientist sighed as her eyes became glued to a freshly printed analysis of 62.

“to our hypothesis, 62’s bloodline with her brother may have helped endured some of 72’s pain. For what happened to him that day could have killed him, but then its unknown to us how their bond allowed 62 to take in his pain, preventing him from dying”

Luna gave her hair a good hard yank. More questions filled her head, joining the ones about the fate of the two newly awakened experiments… and what Blank or the head chief would do to them.

Luna looked back at 62, she looked healthy yes. Beautiful as well, the darkness around her eyes almost looked like an overuse of black eye shadow.

Her hair looked perfect, a mix of light and dark brown, almost looking like faded highlights. It was not curly like her brother’s, but long enough that only reached her neck.

Luna reached over and touched 62 hair, it felt so soft, yet wet from the liquid in the case she was in. Luna watched her stir a little as a loose wire fell off her back. She stuck it back on.

“will she open her eyes soon?” Luna asked.

“im not sure miss, but if she does we will need a good check on them”. Before Luna could flood the scientist with questions, she was called out of the room, leaving Luna and the rest of the scientists.

Luna almost felt alone in the crowded room of scientists, some bumped into her, muttering apologies while she stared at 62 blankly. She stirred once more making the scientists go wild.

Feeling claustrophobic in the room, Luna decided to check on the awakened specimen later. She knew 62 was most scientists favorite, the reason? She had better vital signs than her brother. Most scientists on board knew or what they called ‘predicted’ that 62 will survive and 72 wont. Luna never believe that, she knew both specimens will survive.

So be it, BOTH of them survived, but as the many failed experiments back then, there was and will be problems.

Luna walked back into her office, when she saw a red light on one of her many machines in her room. The results for the transfusion! How could she forget something THIS important?!

Luna ran over and read the results on the screen. Silence. Slowly she slid into her chair as she read the results to herself, over and over again until it was engraved in her mind.

The chemicals in the transfusion were meant to kill 72.

Or that’s what Luna thought. Most of the chemicals were to change 72’s DNA, Luna knew they were very harmful to someone like 72. A human hybrid.

Visions of the failed experiments flashed in Luna’s mind. Remembering when Blank pulled the lever to the case more times that Luna lost count, she can remember the painful wails of the experiments as they froze to death. Many of them were mutated beasts; some had gills, scales, even feathers. None of them survived or got out of the case.

Luna curled up into a ball and wept in her hands. Why would Conor want to hurt 72 in such a bad way?

Then it hit her. The contract was to allow both hybrids to breed, but since 72 and 62 have the same blood, its impossible to breed. DNA changes could have allowed 72 to breed with her… but why break such a strong bond? Even when it saved 72’s life.

Luna pulled herself together and ripped the printed results out of the machine. She made numerous photocopies of the results and tucked them away, keeping a fresh one for Blank to see. So he will know what Conor is doing to the experiments.

Luna’s pager beeped, seeing that its from 72’s room, Luna rushed out of her office and into the room he was in. Brendon was there waiting for her.

Luna saw 72 on his cot, the oxygen mask still on. She smiled when she saw 72 playing with a keychain of rocket ship. She has always seen Brendon with it on his key ring. 72 must have gotten curious.

“rocket” 72 said holding out the miniature ship, his voice sounding muffed from the mask. Brendon smiled.

“he learns fast” he said, watching the hybrid toy with it. Suddenly it fell through his fingers and bounced off his cot, falling to the floor. 72 stared at it for a moment before attempting to climb off the cot.

Brendon immediately stopped him “hold on there” he exclaimed to the hybrid who’s eyes were drilling right through him.

“Here let me get that for you” Brendon said, reaching to grab the toy and place it in 72’s hands. He shoved it into his mouth.

Luna gasped and tore it out of 72’s mouth. He swiped for it but Luna backed away.

“give” 72 said, eyeing the rocket ship

“no 72, no give” Luna said giving him a look. She wiped the rocket on her lab coat before handing it to Brendon. 72 glared at him.

“give rocket” he whispered to Brendon, holding out his hand. Brendon shook his head.

“sorry, no give” he said with a shrug. 72 stood silent before trying to get off the cot again, Luna stopped him.

“no 72, no” Luna ordered. 72 looked at her innocently, “rocket” he said.

Luna groaned and turned to Brendon, who unfortunately left the room for Luna to fend for herself.

“You have got to be kidding me” Luna said under her breath as she turned back to 72.

“sister?” he said, finally changing the subject. Luna sighed.

“yes, sister is fine” Luna said, forcing out a smile. They both stared at each other in silence before 72 reached out to her, and grabbed her hand. His grip was so light.

Luna grabbed a stool and sat by her beloved hybrid. 72 was busy touching her jacket, then her arms, then her hair. He seemed so curious of Luna, she smiled when 72 grazed his fingers across her face.

Suddenly Blank barged in, scaring 72, he pulled his hands back in embarrassment.

“hello Luna” he said before turning to the hybrid, who is trying to avoid eye contact with him. He sneered.

“hello 72, how are you doing?” Blank asked with a grin plastered over his face, 72 looked down, wishing he would go away.

72 flinched when Blank tried to touch him, he looked at Luna, his eyes pleading for her to help him.

“um, he is just a little shaky from what happened today” Luna said, trying to find an excuse for Blank to get away from not only 72, but from her.

“Shaky?” Blank questioned “how is he shaky?! His sister just woke up!”. 72’s eyes brightened a little.

“sister?” he whispered lightly, Blank smiled, hearing him speak for the first time.

“ah, what a nice voice you got there” Blank said leaning close to the hybrid. 72 looked away.

“Luna, we have work to do” Blank said straightening. He turned to the door, waiting for Luna to join him.

Luna looked at her boss, then at 72, he tilted his head. Knowing that Luna had to go, she gave 72 a small hug. “ill come back ok?” she whispered as 3 scientists entered the room. 72 clutched into her lab coat.

“don’t” he said as Luna pulled away from him. Luna had no choice; she pecked 72 on the head and left him with the scientists. Luna feeling guilty for leaving him, she felt him staring at her as she left.

Luna ended up walking with her boss down the dull white hallways. Millions of stars slowly passed by as Luna looked out the windows into deep space. Blank cleared his throat.

“so Luna” he began “I see our experiments are a success aren’t they?” he beamed.

Luna sighed, “yeah…” she said, looking down at her shoes. Remembering the results of the transfusion, how badly she wanted to tell Blank how the chief nearly killed 72

Blank didn’t notice her “now Luna, since they are fully awakened, its now our job to raise them like humans, teach them everything we know, nothing off limits”

He lead Luna into the lab were the hybrids were held during growth. The glass cases were being hosed down by some workers on board. Blank was handed a clipboard from one of the scientists.

“sir, the status of 62” the scientist exclaimed.

Blank gave the documents a good hard look, leafing through them one at a time before handing it back. He turned and left, pulling Luna with him.

Blank moved so fast that Luna had no time to claim were they were going. It was soon obvious that they were going to see 62.

Luna was afraid of Blank knowing about 62, how she cant open her eyes yet. Even worse… what if she cant open them at all? Can she become blind just like that?

Luna shook her head. Impossible. It takes time for them to fully awaken, they have been in their cases for years. Born unlike an ordinary human would.

Blank smiled seeing 62, she was still curled up into a ball but looked more relaxed now. Luna stepped forward and pulled the covers closer to her body.

Blank leaned close to 62, taking a good look at her eyes. Luna hoped he wouldn’t say anything bad about her condition.

“she looks fine” Blank breathed, gingerly touching her long hair. “shivering and unable to open her eyes, I thought she was healthier than her brother”. Luna froze.

“she could just have chills” Luna protested “and she might not be ready to open her eyes just yet…”

Blank frowned and checked the monitors around her, similar to 72’s room.

“chills? She has been in the case for years! The liquid is to keep them warm for long periods of time, and your saying she has chills?!” Blank barked. 62 stirred a little, making him fix his attention back to her.

“there there” Blank soothed to the hybrid, patting her shoulder. “take your time to wake up fully, we will be expecting more from you two” and with that, he left.

Luna was finally left alone with 62. A soft moan came from her as she pulled herself into a tight ball again, making the wires attached to her stretch.

Luna gently rubbed her back as she slept. Telling her not to worry and to ignore her boss. 62 relaxed.
Luna kissed 62 on the head before heading off to Blank’s office. The large door was already open a crack. Luna could hear a conversation going on inside.

“I cant believe it” a familiar voice said “they BOTH survived?!”

“of course!” Blank hooted. “62 is recovering now, 72 is still in process”

A long pause, then a sigh between the line.

“Blank, I never knew we would get this far into creating the very first human hybrids, and thanks to you and your crew, I have made a little upgrade to the contract”

Luna froze. An upgrade to the contract? Even if both 72 and 62 cant breed… why would the head chief want an upgrade?

Then it hit her. Conor wanted to mutate 72’s DNA so that they can breed together… but failing to do so, only scarring the poor hybrid with heath problems.

Luna slowly slid down the wall to the floor, her expression blank as she didn’t bother to hear the rest of the conversation.

Suddenly the door to Blanks office slid open, scaring Luna. She scrambled to her feet as Blank looked at her confused.

“Luna” her boss began “what were you doing on the floor?”

Luna fiddled with her lab coat “uh just a bit tired that’s all”

Blank ignored her and pulled her up to her feet. He dragged Luna into his office.

“um, what is it sir?” Luna asked sitting down. Blank sat down at his desk, looking content.

“Luna we have amazing news, our contract has now been bumped up! “ He hooted.

“and what does that mean?”

Blank grinned “since I have told the chief that both hybrids survived, he was delighted. He gave us a full raise to about 2 billion!”

Luna stared at him bug eyed. 2 billion? How the heck did 2 million go into 2 BILLION?!

Blank clapped his hands happily. “oh Luna, I cant believe this! If we raise the experiments well we can finally get the money we deserve!”

Luna sighed and limped in her seat. So everything IS all for money… but all this, just to raise two hybrids?

Blank kept going on and on. “this can go down in history! We can prove to scientists that we CAN create hybrids!”

Luna ignored her boss as he went on and on about breaking records and this and that. Luna was most interested, or worried about the hybrids.

Finally Blank settled down. He gave Luna a hard look.

“Luna, im depending on you” he said, eyes drilling into her “you and the scientists must raise the hybrids, make them learn and think like a human would. If this wont work out. Nothing would”

“boss” Luna piped up. “both 72 and 62 are OUR responsibilities” she recalled after 72 awakened.

Luna continued “it has been your and our dreams to create human hybrids, but I just can’t do all the work myself!”

Blank looked at her like if she was dumb. Luna pulled out the results to the transfusion and slapped it on his desk.

“the results to the transfusion sir” she said “this will prove why 72 changed”

Blank eyeballed the paper before shaking his head. He slid it away and shooed Luna off.

“sir, you must read it!” Luna begged as Blank escorted her out of the office.

Blank just smiled and went on about how 72 will be just fine. Luna knew that the only thing in his mind right now was the money.

“Luna you can handle this” Blank said as Luna was finally out. He gave her a hard look again.

“but the chief is depending on 72 the most”

And he slammed the door shut, right in Luna’s face.