- Text Size +

Chapter 8: Guardian Birdie

Over the next weeks, Jaden and Devin attached themselves to a studio to record Jaden’s demo. Devin hired a lady to help produce the tracks. The workload was heavy, however it was made easier because Jade used songs from the hundreds she had in her music journal. She wrote a plethora of songs for different occasions and different emotions throughout her life. She was excited to have a chance to share them. In the final demo cut, they turned her songs into mid-groove R&B songs, some into up tempo Pop, and some into easy-listening Acoustic. Jaden’s voice perfectly complemented the tracks and fit well into any of those genres. Once they figured it was a good as it was going to get, Devin and Jade went around to several major record labels to shop her demo around; it was not an easy feat. Jaden would feel the disappointment rise and Devin would slightly anger when they heard the head person in charge say that they would “Get Back” with them on listening to her demo. Record labels got plenty of them daily and although Jaden was pretty, she was just another face. They remained determined however.

Surprisingly, a week later, they got a call from Universal Music group asking them to come down for a meeting. They had dropped her demo there a few days ago and were told the usual. Nonetheless, they grabbed the opportunity quickly and agreed to meet up with the label.

“How do I look? Am I dressed well enough?” Jaden asked Devin as they nervously sat in the lobby of the nice huge record label. Devin did a once over on the new skirt and blouse that complimented each other well. He was amazed at how someone like her could be so beautiful, yet humble at the same time. It was hard to find a rare commodity after being in California. “You look amazing.” He looked at his new friend. “Don’t be too nervous. Once they hear your voice, you are in!” “I hope so,” Jaden breathed. “Devin Smith and Jaden Ross?” the receptionist called. “You’re meeting with Charlie Kline, down the hall and to the left.” After the two walked into the huge office, they were greeted by a slim, well put together black woman and a portly looking white man with salt and pepper hair. They both appeared to be in their middle ages.

“You must be Jade and Devin,” the man said as he shook both of their hands. “Have a seat.” After they all sat down on the plush seats, the man introduced himself as Charlie Kline. He was the president CEO of Universal Music Group. The woman, Karen Douglas introduced herself as VP of internal affairs. “So we’ve heard your demo,” Charlie said as he cued Karen to play it in the CD player. One of Jaden’s tracks self- titled “24 days of affliction” filled the room as Charlie and Karen nodded their heads to the pulsating beat and Jaden’s in-your-face voice. “And we definitely like what we are hearing!

A little birdie told us to listen to your track, actually a big birdie and needless to say, we are not disappointed.” Jaden and Devin looked at each other, smiling with raised eyebrows. Everything seemed smooth sailing so far.
After they stopped the track, they looked at Jaden. “You’re a beauty,” Charlie told her. “It’s very natural from what I see,” Karen examined her as well. “Take this as a compliment dear; you are very ambiguous looking! I don’t know whether you are black, white, or maybe you could pass for Asian. That can work well for you.” Jaden nodded, not sure how to react to her compliment. “Well I am…all three at least,” “Wonderful! People look to relate and you my dear relate with just being multi-racial.” I never looked at myself as multi-racial before, just human she thought. “Okay back to talents. We’ve heard you sing, but how well?” Charlie asked. “You’ve just heard the demo, didn’t you?” Devin finally spoke up. Charlie nodded. “Yes my man, we certainly have. But at the same time, we wanna hear it live. We are looking for the next top talent… someone who can really sing and entertain. Not just someone who’s a studio singer.” Karen looked at her. “Can you sing us something dear?” Devin looked over at her, and slightly nudged her. “Go head, sweetheart[,” God, please don’t let her mess this up, he thought.

Jaden felt all eyes on her once again as her mind raced for the perfect song. She thought about the time she had spent talking with Michael and how nice it felt. “Your love is magical. That’s how I feel. But I have not yet the words to explain. Gone is the grace for expressions of passion. But there are worlds and worlds of words to explain to tell you how I feel. But I am speechless, speechless that’s how you make me feel….” She sung his song with the matched vibrato and vulnerably as he did, her voice commanding attention. Once she finished, she opened her eyes and saw Charlie drop his pen, Karen had her hand over her mouth and Devin sat with a smug “I told ya so” look, proud of his client.

Charlie swallowed before talking. “Needless to say that was the best vocal run I’ve heard in years! I’d be an idiot not to sign you. I’m not wasting another second. I want to offer you a deal with our company. You’d be working with our top producers, studio managers and marketing staff.” Jaden held her breath, taking it all in. She had been waiting for this moment all of her life, and it was finally here. Devin snapped her back into reality. “This sounds all well and done…except that she gets to write and choose her genre of music, which is mainly R&B and Pop. Also, she plays guitar and would like to be able to play it at her own discretion. We both have to have a hand in whatever she does and not just the staff here. If you agree to this, we have ourselves a deal.” Jade nodded, grateful that her business partner took control of the most important aspect. “All the more better,” Charlie agreed. “As soon as we get the contracts drawn up and get you signed, we will work with you right away for self- promotion and an LP album.” “I am saying it first,” Karen spoke up. “Welcome to UMG!”

After the two left the studio and got into Devin’s Lexus, Jaden finally had the chance to let her emotions out, yelling in glee. “Jaden, you rocked Michael’s song!” Devin complimented her as they high fived one another. “Thanks, I had to do him justice. He is my inspiration…. I can’t believe that I am signed to one of the biggest record labels ever! It’s too good to be true!” “Yep. I don’t think they really thought you could sing,” Devin said. “But once they heard your voice, they couldn’t do anything else but stare.” “Wow. It seems like a guardian angel was on our side. God was looking out for us,” She thought aloud. “That’s true. It’s rather strange how everything came into place like it did. But let’s not speculate, let’s celebrate. Dinner on me!!!”

Little did they know that the ‘birdie’ was indeed Michael Jackson. He was acquaintances with Charlie Kline and was the one to put in a good word for Jade. He knew that Devin was Jade’s manager and were putting out demos. As always, he wanted to help someone’s dream come true and he believed that Jade truly deserved it.