- Text Size +

Chapter 32: You are not alone


It was the day before the trial, and Michael was beginning to feel the pressure amount on him. He wasn’t sure if he could handle everything that was about to happen. People would be sitting in the stands, making up lies and grimy details of what he allegedly did to the Arrizo children. It didn’t help matters that Tom Snedden was the biggest jack ass District attorney that ever existed. It seemed that the man had a personal vendetta against Michael and craved to find ways to put him behind bars for many years. Although it wasn’t the first person whom he experienced evil intentions with, he didn’t understand why one man had built up so much hate against him. He had never met the guy until the 1993 incident. Perhaps he didn’t take lightly to the song that Michael put out about him on his HIStory album, which he cleverly called D.S. Either way, it would not be a pleasant sight to see his demonic, greedy face on daily basis.

Although his mother Katherine and father Joe had volunteered to stay the night with him, he insisted that she go and get some rest. He put up as good of a front as possible, telling them that he was okay and would try to take a couple of sleeping pills to try to get some sleep that night. He didn’t want to worry about him so much that it took any physical tolls on them, especially his mother. He felt bad enough for putting them and his siblings through his case. This was not his idea of a happy family get together.

Soon everyone had gone for the night, promising that they would be back the following morning. Michael soon felt alone again; it certainly wasn’t an unfamiliar emotion, but he didn’t want to experience that at that moment. Not in front of his children most importantly, nor for the strength he had to rally up for the trial. However, just like clockwork, he got a call from Jaden. She called to check on how he was copying with everything as she always did ever since they had their reunion.

Michael couldn’t help but to crack a smile. He was grateful to have her back in his life again; it allowed some sort of normalcy back into his torn life. “Jade, would you like to come over?” he asked her. “I’m very restless and I can’t stop thinking about everything. I just need some company really.” “Sure,” Jaden told him. “I’m not doing anything else and I want to see you and the kids. If you want, I’ll even spend the night so I can be there with you and your family on the way to court.” A feeling of butterflies fluttered inside of him. He smiled at the flashback he had of when he had first invited Jaden over to his house and eventually into his life. It was good to have that back again, if not only for only something else to think about.

“Absolutely, I would really love that,” he finally told her.

A couple of hours later, Jaden arrived wearing sweatpants, snickers, a t-shirt, and a cap while carrying an overnight bag. She didn’t need any extra attention focused on her from any lurking paparazzi. She jumped into his arms, glad to see him and asked where the children where. Michael led her into the playroom where the nanny Grace was with them. “Jadie!!!” Paris, Blanket and Prince affectionately greeted her. “I’ve missed you guys,” Jaden laughed as she gave each of them a hug and a kiss. “We missed you too,” Prince said. “Especially all of the water balloon fights we had.” Michael and Jaden laughed. “Are kidding me kid? We can always have more of those!”

Jaden told him as she picked up nearly three-year-old Blanket and tickled him in oblivion. Michael sat back and relaxed; his children interacted well with Jaden. It was as though she had built in motherly instincts. “Well if it’s okay with your daddy and Grace, we could have an evening of fun and let her have some rest. How about it?” she smiled at Grace whom she had built a good relationship with. “I don’t have a problem with it, if it’s okay with Michael” she told her. Although Grace didn’t mind it, she had been in overdrive in maintaining the kids throughout lately and a night of rest sounded very appealing.

“Of course. Grace please go relax. You’ve done so much lately.” Michael told her. After she left, Jaden asked them were the hungry, which they all told her they were. She suggested that she would make them a good home cooked meal of her “famous” lasagna, breadsticks and salad. She had assistance from the Jackson clan, which at first resulted in a food fight between Jaden and Paris against Michael, Prince and Blanket. However, they were able to finish making the delicious, fun meal. Afterwards, they all settled in on a movie as they ate brownies for desert. During the movie, Michael found Jaden’s hand and squeezed it, grateful that she was able to make him forget about things, even just for awhile. Soon after, Jaden helped Michael tuck in the children into bed and read them a story.

“Daddy is gonna be busy the next few weeks,” Michael told them. “I have to deal with some business, but I’ll be back every night. I promise.” Paris immediately sat up, her pretty light eyes widened. “Are you gonna be okay daddy?” Michael immediately came over and gave her a hug and a kiss; he couldn’t stand to see a look of concern on her face. “Yes, pumpkin. I’ll be just fine.”

Prince got up and joined the hug session with his sister and dad while Jaden silently held sleeping Blanket in her arms. No words needed to be said. Eight- year- old Prince knew that something wasn’t right with his father. He snuck and saw reports of what was going happening on television, but he just didn’t understand everything that was going on. He remember meeting those pesky Arrizo kids once, and not taking a liking to them. Somehow he knew they were doing something bad to his father and he didn’t like it. However, after hearing Michael assure him that he would be fine, it gave him a big sense of peace. He knew his dad was a very strong person. Afterwards, the two of them said goodnight to the children and were left to themselves.

Michael rubbed his chocolate beautiful, but weary eyes. Jaden snickered as he looked like a cute grown kid. “Are we tired?” she asked him. Michael smiled. “I’ve been tired for the past few weeks, but I don’t know if I can sleep. Especially since everything starts tomorrow.” Jaden put her arms around him. I have to be his rock, she thought “This is exactly why you need some sleep.” Michael shook his head. “I don’t know if I can. It seems like there’s always something that I have to think or worry about. It’s like I don’t deserve any rest.” Jaden gave him a peck on his cheek. “I wish you weren’t so hard on yourself. You really need to get some rest. As a matter of fact, I demand you to get some rest! I bet a hot shower and some pajamas would help you out. And I’ll go make you some Chamomile tea to calm you down.” Michael couldn’t see why he could object to her demands. He had to admit that her suggestions sounded very appeasing at that point.

Less than an hour later, Jaden brought Michael up some tea to his bedroom. As Michael sipped his tea, he motioned for her to sit next to him on his king sized bed. It could have been awkward for Jaden to be that close to him again in his bedroom of all places. However, it didn’t feel that way for them at all. “I just wanna say thank you for being here for me once again,” he told her as he sat down his tea and laid his head on her shoulder. “You’ve always made my life happy and that’s what I missed about you. That and your loyalty.”

Jaden felt a sense of warmth and comfort wash over her. “You never have to thank me. You were there plenty of times for me, and now I’m simply returning the favor.” “But you are doing a whole lot for me,” Michael insisted. “I could never repay you back,” He simply wasn’t used to anyone being kind to him without wanting something in return. “There are no such things as paybacks in my book,” Jaden simply said. “You guys are like my family and we’ll get through this,” Michael looked at her, his eyes full of worry. “You think I’ll really be okay?” he asked. Without thinking, Jaden lifted his chin to hers and softly gave him a kiss on the lips. “What does that tell you?” she smiled.

Michael smiled back. “That I’ll be fine,” he told her as he pulled her into his arms and continued to kiss her briefly. He knew what he was doing and Jaden did also. There was no confusion about it. Afterwards, he asked her to stay the night with him because he didn’t want to be alone; Jaden obliged. Nothing physical happened between the two of them other than holding each other and exchanging small kisses until they finally fell into some much needed sleep. At least they now felt like tomorrow had hope.

Chapter End Notes:

By the way, here are some pics of Michael and Jaden!

 

- Michael fine self

 

- Jaden pretty self