- Text Size +

Chapter 31: Leave Me Alone
For the next few days Tom Mesereau reviewed, strategized and coached Jaden on how to handle her claims to the judge. PR specialist Raymone Bain gave her tips on how to deal with the media’s questions. She felt ready to take on anything thrown at her.

Media and news outlets already received news that Jaden was an alliance for Michael’s case. It was a growing hot topic on television and in magazines. People were shocked to find out that Jaden had dated Michael in secret. This added even more fire to the interest of the trial as people could not stop talking about the music superstar and his music star lover. Many were surprised to find out that Michael truly had interest in attractive women. Others speculated on how the billed “two unlikely specimen” were once together.

Whenever Jaden turned on the television or listened to the radio, it didn’t shock her one bit about the things that were being said about them. It was well expected and she had already prepared herself for the backlash well ahead of time. As long as she had her friends and family by her side, she knew she would make it through everything just fine. However, her star reputation was the least thing she worried about; she was concerned about Michael’s well being.

As for Devin, he hadn’t really talked to Jaden in quite awhile. Although he was still her manager, he had spent a significant less amount of time with her and more with the three new clients that UMG allowed him to handle. It was a tougher task working with the two singers and one rapper. They simply did not possess the huge talents that Jaden had; however, he would try to make it work at all costs because he was determined to become the decade’s version of Quincy Jones.

One night at home, he settled down on his couch with a cold beer. He wanted to catch up on the L.A. Lakers since he finally seemed to have some free time. As he flipped through the channels, he came to Fox News, where the news anchors were discussing how Jaden would help Michael’s case and how the two ever ending up dating. He immediately sat up, astounded by what he just heard. “Tell me I just did not see what I am seeing?” He asked himself out loud. He knew all about what happened to Michael, but he never dreamed that Jaden would involve herself in it. As far as he knew (or cared to know), he thought that Jaden had gotten over her past with Michael. “I can’t believe this!? Does she know how much trouble she’s getting herself into?” Devin put his head on his hand in disbelief. His biggest, first and by far most successful client always had him worried. Whenever she did something out of line, it was always done in a big fashion.

He immediately whipped out his cell phone and shot Jaden a message

Devin: Man oh man, all I have to say is that I HOPE you know what you are doing.

A few minutes later, Jaden wrote him back.

Jaden: Yes Devin, I know exactly what I am doing. I’m helping out someone I love through a time of need. Is that too much for you to handle?

Devin: No. If that person was your aunt, or your mother, or your friend. BUT NOT YOUR *****ING PAST LOVER WHO JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE THE KING OF POP!

Devin: Everyone knows your dirty laundry now and they won’t let you live it down just so you know

Jaden: You know what? I could care less. Don’t you think I’ve already thought about all of these things? I’m not backing down if that’s what you want me to do. I know I can handle the media and anyone else. I’m gonna be there with my “dirty laundry” regardless of what anyone says.

Devin: Sometimes you can shoot your own self in the foot Jaden. UMG will probably be calling the BOTH of us first thing in the morning. You could be in a lot of trouble for this.

Jaden: ??????? I think the REAL fans will stick by me through it all Devin. If not, then maybe I’m not cracked up to be in this business. Maybe I’ll just walk away from it.

Devin took a huge sip from his frothy beer. He didn’t expect her to throw that kind of curveball at him. She was his biggest commission after all. However, he slowly realized that she meant business about what she was doing. And there was no way to get around it but to accept it and roll with the punches.

A few minutes later, he wrote her back.

Devin: You are one stubborn woman Jaden Kimoria Ross. But, I have to accept what you are doing. However, you are on your own with Charlie and UMG.

Jaden: All I ask is for your respect. I would do the same thing if it were you. Just let me have this Dev. Michael means a lot to me and it hurts me badly when I see him hurt like this. I have to do it.

Devin softened up inside. He had to admit; he admired her integrity. Her heart was definitely in the right place. Devin knew as a manager , he would have to loosen his reign a bit when his clients made personal choices. He would be learning this lesson in a huge way, starting with Jaden. He finally came to terms that it was something that he would have to live with.

Devin: I respect your decision Jade. I don’t agree with it, but I do respect it. I’ll be here for you whenever you need me. We will figure out a way to break it to UMG tomorrow.

Jaden: Thank you Dev . That means a lot to hear that from you. I’ll be fine so don’t worry too much.
Devin: I won’t hon. Good night. Get some rest, you’re gonna need as much as you can get.

The next day, Devin and Jaden talked to Charlie Kline and Karen Douglas about what was going out with the case. They weren’t happy campers about the whole thing and worried that Jaden’s involvement could tarnish her reputation. However, Devin convinced the two head honchos that this could also be good publicity for the label as a high profile matter could boast sales for UMG. The two somehow fell for his pitch and began to conjure up ways of how they could benefit from Jaden’s extra attention. Although grateful for the way Devin stepped up, Jaden cared less on what they did. She began to focus on everything that lay ahead in the near future.