- Text Size +


Chapter 2: Amazing meets the sky

The customers were all crowded up at the restaurant the following night. It was an unusual rainy California night and no one was interested in facing the light thunderstorm head on yet. Jaden didn’t mind; it was a good night to get tips from her extended tables.

As for Devin L. Smith, a customer who nervously sipped his coffee, he was in a big rut. He was a studio sound manager for Sony and just got word from his boss that he would need to find an additional female backup singer for one of their top artists of all time. Their artist was making a new album starting in a week and all of the backup singers needed to be there to learn the harmonies. “Damn it Devin, what did you get yourself into?” he scolded himself. He had made a few mistakes with his boss before; he was a very hard man to please. The last thing Devin needed was another strike against him. To not have the exact number of backup singers available for the label’s superstar artist would just be asking for a pink slip. The 33- year -old figured that in a year or two, his efforts would be recognized and he could make his way to one of the top positions. However, first things were first, and he needed to come up with a background singer in the next 24 hours, or else he would be screwed. “Think Devin think!” he chided himself. He ran one hand anxiously through his sandy blond hair while the other tapped on his table.

Meanwhile, Jaden was in a seemingly good mood that night. She had lucked out in getting some really good tips for a change. Plus, she didn’t get any rude or condescending customers. “I’ll think I’ll treat myself to a new pair of shoes” she thought to herself. For her, shopping was a huge luxury because she always had trouble making ends meet. However, she knew for once that she needed to treat herself to something special. She had hard enough for a reward.

During her break, Jaden felt inspiration to write a song. Like a true musician, she carried her pen, paper, and guitar with her at all times. It was always ready because she felt that the opportunity for creation could be at anytime and anyplace. She grabbed a table in the far back of the restaurant and allowed her creative juices to flow “I was a wayward child, the weight of the world that I have deep inside. Life was a winding road and I learned many things little ones shouldn’t know,” she sung on her guitar with a sweet, clear melody. “But I close my eyes, steadied my feet on the ground, raised my head to the sky and as time rolls by…I still feel like a child that looks at the moon, maybe I grew up a little too soon……” The autobiographical song came to her as she paused only to write down the newfound lyrics that came in her mind.

Little did Jaden know that someone was listening to her beautiful voice. As Devin walked back to his table from the restroom, he heard her loud and clear. Her melodic voice sounded pure, yet aggressive. He knew good music when he heard it from working at Sony. That voice definitely was not an exception. “Wow, what a voice,” he thought aloud. He turned to see where it was coming from and discovered a beautiful young woman singing, writing, and playing her guitar. By the uniform, it was apparent to him that she worked there. Suddenly, Devin’s green eyes widened at the thought of a chance to add his final backup. He looked up and put his hands together.

“Thanks, I owe ya one!” he said, apparently talking to God. His boss told him to have four backup singers; he never said they couldn’t be amateurs.
Devin walked up to her table and cleared his throat, startling Jaden out of her groove. “Um, sorry. I couldn’t help but notice that you have a really nice voice.” Devin started. Jade smiled shyly, unaware that she had an audience. She noticed that the man had a suave, “California Boy” look about him. “Thank you sir. I appreciate that,” Devin cleared his throat again, figuring out how to come with his proposal. “Please. You don’t have to call me sir. What’s your name?” “Jaden,” the stunning girl replied in light southern accent. “Hi. I’m Devin. Devin Smith.” He shook her hand looking into her golden eyes.

“No offence…. But what’s a beautiful girl with such a good voice working here? You should be in a recording studio or in Vegas somewhere.” Jaden laughed at the thought of her being one of those Las Vegas showgirls. “Vegas isn’t really my dream. You see, this job is only temporary. I want to eventually get my name out there to become a performer.” “Jackpot!” Devin thought. “Reel this one in Smith and you are good to go.” He took a seat across from Jaden and smiled “What if I told you that tonight is your lucky night.” “Huh?” Jaden asked, dumbfounded. “Tonight is your lucky night.” Devin repeated. “I really need a backup singer for our superstar artist. You won’t believe who he is. He’s the ultimate legend. Everybody knows him. Everybody respects him. Everybody…well almost everybody…loves him.” “Huh?” Jaden repeated, ignoring his description. “Look, where are you getting at? If you are one of those sleazy guys looking for some chick to pick up, I’m not the one. I’ve heard it all before….” It was all too surreal to her. Why would this man appear out of nowhere and offer her a singing job? He must want something.

Devin realized that she thought he was a desperate guy looking for an advance from her. He understood how men in Hollywood lied to women and said they had connections, only to get them to sleep with them. He pulled out his official Sony business card out of his wallet and handed it to her. He also took out pictures of him in the studio with various artists and company parties. Devin had worked with all kinds of famous artists in many genres. “I would never waste anyone’s time if I were lying.” He told her as she looked over his cards and pictures. “I heard you. You really can sing. I need a backup by tomorrow. The pay is good, and it’ll help you set your goal of getting out of this job and getting recognized.” “Wow.” Was all Jaden could say. She couldn’t believe this was all happening to her at once. “His cards and pictures look legit,” she thought. “Maybe this is it. Maybe this is my opportunity. What else is there to lose? I’ve gotta take a chance here.”

Jaden smiled as she handed him back his pictures. “Okay Mr. Smith. You’ve got yourself a backup.” Devin grinned, showing his perfect teeth. “You won’t regret it Jaden. And you didn’t let me tell you whose vocals you’ll be backing up. You’ll never guess.” Jaden had been caught up in all of the excitement of her new job that she forgot that part. “Who?!” she asked, now genuinely excited. “Need I say...The King of Pop?” “What?!!! Michael Jackson?” Jaden screamed causing a few customers to stare. Once they turned around, she had to catch her breath. “I love him so much! I loved him every since I was a child! I didn’t even know he was coming out with a new album.” “Yeah, he had been keeping it under the radar for awhile, but he’s back. He’s excited about it.” Devin deadpanned. He worked with celebrity artists all the time, so it became routine after awhile. Jaden shifted her weight as she giddily smirked. She could barely stay in her chair. This was a once in lifetime deal; she couldn’t believe that she was going to be working, much less than with her idol on his album. She considered herself lucky just being in the same room with Michael Jackson.

“So do you know where Sony is located?” Devin asked. “I could give you the directions if not.” He was used to people’s excitement over celebrities. From the time he had worked with star artists, he thought of them as regular people with extraordinary talents. However, he could understand how someone would be really excited to work with The King Of Pop. It was Michael Jackson they were talking about. Jaden looked away. “I…don’t have a car,” she admitted. Devin nodded his head in understanding. He knew how it was to struggle at the beginning of things. There was something genuine about this girl; he knew there had to be a story behind her. For some reason, it made him want to help her out more. “That’s okay sweetheart,” Devin told her. “I’ll have a car be sent for you. All I need is your address and you’ll be good to go.” Jade couldn’t believe her ears. “Oh my God, that would be so wonderful! Thank you so much!”

“Like I said, I wouldn’t want to waste your time if I were lying or didn’t believe in what I hear,” he said. The way he said it and the way he looked allowed Jade to trust him, which wasn’t easy for her to do. For the rest of the time, the two new acquaintances exchanged information and Jaden sung for him one last time before they said departed until the next day