- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Chapter 11: Collaboration Condensation

Over the next few weeks, Michael and Jaden spoke on the phone with each other almost every night. They talked about how their days went, music, religion, what were their fears, and what made them happy. Most of the time, they ended up making each other laugh, as they acted like two teenagers. Jaden felt the most at ease with Michael than with any other man in her life. She found it strange, yet appeasing how she was becoming such close friends with the King of Pop. Michael also felt the same way. He felt free telling Jaden almost anything that came into his mind. He felt that he could trust her with whatever he said to her and it would be kept safe.

While Michael prepared for his upcoming 30th anniversary concert, Jaden had become very busy herself working with UMG. Devin on the other hand, gave Sony his two weeks’ notice that he was out of there as soon as Michael’s CD was released. Tommy Mottola was not a happy camper about it, of course. Jaden and Devin had a meeting with the label, signing the contract and going over what she would be doing to promote herself. Charlie Kline wanted to make her a top priority with UMG; he knew she had talents and the beauty to make his company money. The marketing staff had in mind that she should work with a few artists on the label by doing a collaboration to introduce her to the listening audience. If and when she had gained sufficient notoriety, she would be able to work on her solo debut album.

For her first debut single, UMG teamed her up with one of their top selling rap artist Shawty Q. They decided that she would be a perfect fit for a hip-hop single that Shawty Q was coming out with. The title single, “ Off my mind” was set to be released soon and Jaden was sent into the studio to sing her parts for the song; Shawty Q was set to do his vocals later on. Although the beat wasn’t to her liking, she made the best of it and sung the bridge and chorus with every just the right amount of spunk and style. Devin made sure it was to the liking of Shawty Q and the producers before they set out to do a music video.

Meanwhile a few days were closing in on Michael’s concert. He flew to New York to meet his brothers to prepare for the upcoming event. There would be him and his five brothers onstage; then he would perform his own singles alone. Although it was fun to be able to share the limelight with his brothers again, he was a nervous wreck. Always the perfectionist, he wanted his act to be one of the best shows that anyone would pay to see. By the time it was the night before the concert, Michael had a headache. He had dealt with the choreography, the music, the directors, and making sure his brothers all were well involved; he was completely worn out. When he got back to his hotel, he called his children to make sure they were okay. He was beginning to miss them dearly now that he was a dad. He oddly missed hearing a certain person’s voice also. He hadn’t talked to Jade in a week, and he missed talking to with her. In a way she was kind of therapeutic to him because she was there to listen. He decided to give her a call.

After a few rings, Jaden picked up the phone. “Hey Michael!!” she said genuinely happy. Jaden too was just thinking about him and wanting to give him a call. He no longer was her idol in her eyes, but a human. “I was just thinking about you.” “Really?” Michael smiled. “Yeah. I wanted to know how everything is going for you. You know, with the concert and everything.” Jaden continued. Michael sighed. “It’s going good. It’s a lot of hard work though, especially working with my brothers. Randy can be a pain sometimes. He wants to add in his own ad-libs while we sing ABC.” “What kind of ad-libs does he want to say?” Jaden asked. “I don’t know something like OPP. I told him that wouldn’t be the most appropriate thing to say to a mixed audience but I’m sure he will end up saying it anyway knowing him.”

“OPP? Does he know what that stands for?” Jaden asked. Michael couldn’t help but laugh along with Jaden; she seemed to know how to help him find humor in his life. “I’m sure he does. Oh God.” “Anyway, I think everything is pretty much set. I’m sorta excited to get back onstage, I haven’t done it in a couple of years.” “Just imagine Michael. Tomorrow, all of your fans, your family, your friends will be there to see you perform! That has to be the most incredible feeling.” Jaden said. “It is, it is,” Michael answered. “But, I’m still nervous. I’m always nervous before I do a concert.” “You’ll do fine,” Jaden encouraged him. “I wish I could be there.”

“I wish you could too.” Michael admitted. The contract Jaden had with Michael ended immediately after she signed with UMG, prohibiting her from doing the concert. Michael didn’t care for his new replacement backup singer because her talent couldn’t compare to Jaden. “Speaking of you, how is everything going with your promotion?” “Everything is so far, so good.” Jaden answered. “I’ve just finished doing the vocals to a single that I am featured on with this rapper named Shawty Q.” she emphasized his name in a “ghetto accent” which made Michael laugh. “I’ve met him already. He seems to be an arrogant jerk to say the least,” Jaden reported. “We start shooting for the music video tomorrow. I’m so nervous!”

“You can’t be nervous.” Michael told her. “You’ll do great. You’re outgoing. Just put some of your personality into it. You already have the talent.” After a pause, Jaden agreed. “Yeah, you’re right I guess. Thanks. Devin doesn’t seem to have the time to give me pep talks. I think he forgets that I am in the industry for the first time.” “Listen, let’s make sure we both let go of our fears tomorrow and give our best. Me at my concert and you at the music video.” Michael declared. “Okay. If you’ve done it all of these years, then I can do it” Jaden agreed. “All of these years?!” Michael joked. “You make me sound ancient!” “Hardly. I’m sure tomorrow you will be dancing circles around Usher and Justin Timberlake.” Jaden declared. Michael smiled. “We’ll see, Jade” “Did you just call me Jade?” she asked. “Yes. I think that should be your stage name as a matter of fact.” Jade thought about it for a moment. “Interesting… I like it. Jade. I like it a lot. I think I’ll use it” After a few more minutes the two hung up, each feeling better about the days ahead of them.

Back in California the next day, Jaden had received a e- card from Michael. It had flowers and the message read “Do well, dream big. Love Michael.” Love! It says Love!!!! Jaden thought to herself. Sure Michael LOVED his fans, but the way he seemed to write love to her seemed like he had love for her. She immediately sent a message back saying “Just call my name and I’ll be there. Give the audience a Michael Jackson performance. Show everyone how it’s done! . Love Jade.

As Devin drove her to the location of the shoot, he looked over and saw Jaden smiling really big. “What’s so funny?” he asked. Before she could answer, he snatched the phone away from her and glared at her messages. “Devin, give that back RIGHT now!” Jaden demanded as she tried to get her phone from him. “Do well, dream big. Love….Michael??” He looked at Jaden with a puzzled expression. He figured that Michael found Jaden attractive while they were working on Invincible in the studio. He even caught the two of them exchanging flirty glances.

However, he didn’t think the two of them would still be communicating. He felt a bit of jealousy rise inside. Although he didn’t want to necessarily date her, he didn’t want anyone else to talk to her. He felt threatened that the King of Pop could take his place in some weird way. “How long have you been writing each other?” he asked. “Devin, give me my phone!” Jaden yelled. He gave it back to her. “So….are you gonna answer the question?” Jaden sighed. “If you really must know, we’re friends. We write and talk to each other, that’s all.” “That better be all.” Devin declared. “You can’t date ANYONE right now, not even him. You have to focus on your career. It’s hard to have a relationship with one of the world’s most famous people anyway” He hoped that would put an end all to be all to the situation. So I guess that means he can never find love because he’s famous? Jaden sighed. “Yes father,” she sarcastically said, disregarding his opinion before changing the subject “And from now on, I will be known as simply Jade.” “Nice. I like it” Devin deadpanned as they pulled up to the beach where the music video would be filmed. “Now I need JADE to go out there and give her all on her first promotional video.” Not even Devin’s bad attitude could ruin her energy as, Jaden pulled her sunglasses over her face. “Don’t worry dahling. I will do well AND dream big.” She said with a smirk.