- Text Size +

Chapter 9: Who is it? Part I

Jaden looked around in her new efficiency after taking a warm bubble bath and slipping into some cutoff shorts and a sports bra. She earned enough money from working with Michael and had a saved stash from her time at the diner (from where she had finally quit couple of weeks prior). Furthermore, her signing bonus would be able to take care of her living expenses once the rest of the money ran out. The place was in a slightly better neighborhood than where she once was, and was quaint enough for her. Her next goal, was to buy a car. But for now, she would be catching cabs and riding with Devin.

Life was good for her right then and the only thing she could do was get on her knees and thank God for everything falling into place. She was thankful to have a friend like Devin. He truly had looked out for her every since they met. So far, they seemed to work together very well also. The two were very content to remain friends and nothing further. Although Devin was attractive, she didn’t have any other feeling towards him. He wasn’t her type; always on the go and didn’t have the best attention span. Jaden was usually a calm, chill person who enjoyed good conversation with good listeners. She liked sharing her secrets, knowing they were going to be safe with someone special. Immediately, she thought about Michael and how she relished her home life so easily with him. She never was one to discuss her past so easily. Devin only knew bits and pieces but never pressed the issue thankfully. However with Michael, it felt normal and it felt right. He had been on her mind every since the last day of recording, with every right to be. What kind of superstar would end up being so…real? She thought. There were few to be thought of in her eyes.

Ironically, Jaden’s stereo was on random play and had flipped to Michael Jackson’s “Who is it?” She laughed. “Maybe this is a sign or something,” she said aloud. She was a bit lonely and bored. She needed some good conversation. She still had his number. As she grabbed her phone to call, thoughts raced through her head. What if he doesn’t want to talk? Maybe it was a mistake. Or maybe this is a bad time to call. She played with her waves, unsure of what to do next. She got up, grabbed a bowl of ice cream and flipped on the TV, until she stopped at cartoons. She considered herself to be a big kid at times; she adored cartoons, carnivals and a few other juvenile things. It was nothing out of the ordinary…to her at least. Soon curiosity was eating at her. She wanted to talk to him. What’s the worst that could happen? She thought and dialed his number.