- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is like my tribute to both Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson. :) I hope you like it! :D

Author's Chapter Notes:

We had been going all day today and my legs were starting to kill me!  I could swear she was trying to kill me today! Elena Scott….my best friend who apparently could never tire out when it came to dancing. I was used to dancing for long periods of time with her; Elena liked to get a full length work out. Dancing was her passion; it had always been since elementary school. It was the whole reason we knew each other! Every other day at 5 we went to dance classes at Jamie’s Dance Studio. Jamie….my heart ached at the thought of her. She had taught us so well when we were younger. Our parents had been wonderful friends with her. I remembered the day we heard the news about her. It was six years ago now when she lost her battle with cancer. The funeral was so emotional; I remembered each visit we had together. I could see her getting worse and worse as her condition progressed. Elena and I had been at school when we’d gotten the news.

---

Flashback to 1986

“Elena! You are so crazy!” I told her, laughing at one of her recent dating stories.

“No joke Robyn! He was THAT awful!! I couldn’t believe it!” She said, giggling up a storm.

I shook my head at her with a small smile. It felt wrong to be happy today, like something bad was going to happen. I’d been feeling so strange all morning. My mind ran crazy with possibilities.

“…Robyn? Hello…Earth to Robyn” Elena’s voice pulled me from my thoughts.

“Huh?” I asked, confused. I could hear her giggling up a storm at my obvious distraction. We were sitting in our dorm room, just talking and being silly as we often did.

“I asked if you wanted to hear what his collection was!” She said, shaking her head, still giggling.

“Oh, um sure” I said, still a little distant.

“Girl! What is WITH you today!?” She asked me

“I….it’s nothing.” I said

“Bullshit Robyn. What’s wrong?” She asked with a raised eyebrow, crossing her arms. One thing with Elena was you couldn’t lie to her. No matter how much you tried, she always saw right through you. She had her ways of knowing, especially when it came to me. She could read me like a damn book!

“I-it’s just…” I stuttered over my words and then sighed. “It’s just….I have this really weird feeling. Like something bad is gonna happen, I just don’t know why” I said

“Oh. Hmm….well ma~” She never finished her sentence. We both jumped at the shrilling ring of the phone in the room. I blinked at it. Who was calling us? Elena picked it up after a second.

“Hello?” She said. I listened as she talked. Her facial features changed drastically as whoever on the phone spoke. “Oh. I see. Yes, we’ll be right there. Uh huh, thank you.” She hung up and I could see the pain in her eyes. “Robyn….”

My mind instantly jumped to the worst. Was it about Jamie? She hadn’t looked good this weekend and I’d been very concerned the whole week. “What happened?” I asked quietly

“Jamie’s gone.” She spoke softly, we looked at each other and broke into sobs, hugging each other as we let out our emotions. I couldn’t believe Jamie was gone….

End Flashback

---

            I’d never forget that day. It was one of the worst days I could imagine. It really showed you how precious life is, it made me wonder how people could take it for granted. I always hate when someone will sit there and tell you how awful their life is and how they just wished they could end it. That kind of talk just makes me shake my head and think of people who have it far worse.

“Alright, I think we’re good for today!”Elena exclaimed suddenly. She flicked off the stereo and wiped her forehead with the back of her hand.

“Finally!” I exclaimed, going over to grab my towel, patting my head. Boy was I hot! As soon as I got home I was taking a shower, no doubt about that. From the corner of my eye, I could see Elena shaking her head at me. “What!?” I asked, feeling defensive.

“Did a little work ever kill you Robyn?” She asked, raising an eyebrow.

I frowned deeply at her. “We’ve been going for like FOUR hours, Elena! I was exhausted! I’m sorry.” I said

She just rolled her eyes at me, laughing at my defensiveness. I rolled my eyes at her and we both smiled at each other.

“So, got lunch plans?” I asked her

“Nope! What did you have in mind?” She asked with a grin

“Wanna go to our usual café?” I asked

“Luna’s?” She asked

“That’s the one!” I exclaimed

“Definitely!”

“Great!” I patted myself a bit more before slinging my duffle bag over my shoulder “Ready when you are!”

“Let’s go!” She said, dragging me outside, she locked the studio and then we got in my car to head to the café.  Luna’s had been our café of choice for the longest time. Stella, the café owner loved us and she was the sweetest thing! She sometimes gives us a complementary dessert. She says it’s to “fatten us up, so we’re not skin and bone”. Elena and I always rolled our eyes at that.

It wasn’t long before we arrived at Luna’s. I smiled at the familiar décor as we walked in. I saw Stella talking to one of her employees and waved. “Hi Stella!” I exclaimed.

Stella looked up at me and smiled widely. “Hola chicas! How are you?!” She asked in a heavy Spanish accent. Her face was warm and her eyes shined brightly. She brushed a dark lock of her short hair behind her ear.

“We’re wonderful!” I said with a smile. “How about you?”

“I’m great. I’m glad you two are wonderful. It’s been a bit since you were here last.” She said

“Yes I know, we’ve been busy lately. I’m sorry.” I said apologetically.

“Oh it’s fine, hun!” She smiled “You’re looking radiant today Elena!”

“Gracias, Stella” Elena said with a smile

“De nada!” She exclaimed, leading us to a table, “I’ll be over in a bit”

I smiled at Elena. “I’ve missed this place. We have to make sure to come by here tomorrow” I said

“Yes we do! I’ve missed it here too, especially Stella!” She said happily

I laughed, I had missed Stella too. Every time I was around her she made things better. There was something about her that when in her presence you just felt so calm and happy. She was always quite positive, whenever I was down I used to stop by and talk to her. She was like my second mother.

---

We spent a decent amount of time at Luna’s. It was nice to catch up with Stella. When I came in I’d done exactly what I’d planned to do, showered and then settled down to relax, playing one of my favorite Whitney Houston CDs. I loved her so much. Whitney was everything to me, I looked up to her in so many ways. She was so talented, every time she sang it left me breathless. I wished more than anything I could sing like her. It’d be nice to be able to become a professional singer and one day sing with her.

Though I dreamed big, I knew, realistically, that would never happen, god had not blessed me in the music department. Though I was saddened by that, I knew I couldn’t complain too much. After all, I had dancing and I enjoyed bringing a smile on the faces of the children Elena and I taught. They were everything to me.  I laid back on my couch and sung along to the music before I heard my phone ringing. I groaned and wondered who was calling me. I forced myself up and answered. “Hello?”

“Hey angel”

I grinned when I heard who it was. “Keith!? Hey!” I said excitedly

Keith Johnston was my best guy friend and even though I’d only known him since high school we still became close.

“The one and only!” He said, chuckling on his end “How’ve you been, Robbie-bird”

I shook my head and smiled “I’ve been great! Although Elena’s been working me to the bone! I feel like my legs are gonna fall off!” I said dramatically.

He laughed in response. “You are overly dramatic, Robbie, do you know that?” He said, I could almost see the amusement in his green eyes through the phone.

“And your point?” I asked with a grin.

He laughed more at that. “Never mind” He said still clearly amused.

I laughed. “You haven’t called me in forever! What’s up with that!?” I said with a playful frown.

“I’ve been busy, Robbie.” He said “I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok. I know it gets like that at times.”

“Yeah, unfortunately….” He said with a sigh

I sighed as well. Keith had always been a big brother for me. We’d met at the very beginning of high school and just stuck together like glue. People used to make bets with each other that’d we’d end up going out. I always snorted at the idea. As popular as Keith was with the ladies and as good looking as he was, I’d never seen him in that light, no matter how many people swore we would end up dating it never really happened.

---

I’d spent a decent amount of time talking to Keith the other night. We had so much to catch up on. He told me that one of his more recent comic books was being released shortly. I was really excited to know that. I loved Keith’s comic books, the way he drew his characters was outstanding and the scenery was phenomenal. I praised him all the time and he always took it into stride. Another thing I loved about him, he was never pig-headed when it came to his work.

Currently, I found myself alone in the studio, lost in the music as I danced. I did this often, it was refreshing at times. I liked being able to go at my own pace and just do what I liked. I was dancing to one of my favorite Michael Jackson songs. His songs always controlled me when I listened to him, I could almost never stay still. It was strange, when I danced, I tuned the world out. That was probably why I didn’t notice someone watching me. Someone I never once expected to see here. After my dance I met their gaze and my own eyes widened when I realized who it was.

“That was amazing! The way you move is like nothing I’ve ever seen before!” They said, I just stood there, completely speechless.

 

Chapter End Notes:

This is Jamie's memorial program.