- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

A Week Later

Reaching on top of my head, I slid my oversized gold sunglasses off and tossed them on a small rectangular table nearby.  Currently at a radio station waiting on Michael to finish an interview, I peered through the large glass window dividing the deep purple rooms we were both in. Situated in the middle of a large Plexiglas table, Michael was a few feet away surrounded by dark purple walls and bookshelf's lined with endless rows of cds.  Leaning forward in his chair, Michael's head was tilted down and soft curls fell against the sides of his cheeks as he stared at a black ballpoint pen he had been given to work on signing a couple of autographs.  His eyes lined with the same exhaustion I had seen in his expression my entire visit, my heart ached seeing him so ragged. Inhaling a deep breath, my stomach expanded and I released the air slowly between my teeth.   

He needed to slow down...or else...

Images of the broken man I had met so many years ago resurfaced in my subconscious and I chewed on my lower lip, worried that Michael was going to crash under the enormous amount of pressure placed on him.

 I leaned the sleeve of my brown leather jacket against the window seal and the metal felt cool against my skin.  Forcing my thoughts away from Michael's destructive pattern of behavior I pulled my wrist away from the window and rested my head in my palm.

I'd just have to keep an eye on him.

Jiggling my dark suede boot under the table, I heard my stomach rumble and I crossed my arms  acrossed my betrayed stomach and rocked back and forth in the wheeled silver chair I had been given to wait for Michael in. 

Seriously, this was taking forever.  It was an hour past one and we hadn't even eaten lunch yet.

Watching him through the window, my thick black headphones itched but I didn't dare mess with them.  Knowing myself I'd probably knock them off my head in the process and fling them into the glass divider.

...and God knows I'd already had enough press about the last interview I'd botched. 

Impatiently, I shifted my chair back and forth making the wheels squeak and I heard one of Michael bodyguards grunt in disapproval from the noise.  My cheeks flushed, my hair brushed against my cheek as I turned to give him an apologetic look.  Staring at me for a moment before shooting a knowing glance at one of my own guards, I suspected that they'd been discussing my antsy behavior from the look on their faces and I stopped the motion and sat back in my chair abruptly, sighing in frustration.

It felt like the entire time I'd been here, I'd been waiting for Michael to finish with something.  Which, actually was what I had been doing.  It was no wonder I felt so cooped up.  I swear the man never slept.  Or never took anytime for himself.

Michael's voice hummed in the ear of my headset and I realized that while my thoughts had drifted the program must have picked back up.  Laying a hand on my headset hesitantly, I adjusted it slightly so it stopped pinching the tip of my ear and I looked back over at Michael.  Wearing a pair of aviators, the silver wire frames were reminiscent of his thriller days and the cherry red leather jacket he had paired with it was also a definite throwback.  Drumming his fingers along the edge of the table, Michael responded to each question politely, tilting his head when he had to search for an answer and I kicked my leg back and forth lightly and listened in.

"Are there any special women in your life?"  The jockey pried next.

Inwardly, I groaned.  He answered this question at least once a day by someone.

Dark blue eyes stared at Michael expectantly from across the table, and his olive green shirt rubbed against his microphone stand as he leaned closer in expectation. 

"I have a lot of special women in my life." Michael replied easily, a hint of a smile on his face. 

...And there was his standard answer.

Michael had dated a lot of women through the years, but as long as I had known him he said the same thing each time.  Trying to appear available for his fans, Michael kept his personal life personal.  Not that I blamed him.  I was sure when I met someone I'd do the same thing. 
The media had a habit of ripping people apart regardless of how genuine their relationship had started.  My aunt was a good example of that.  Married 8 times, her relationship with Uncle Richard had been passionate and intense, but the pressure of being in the spotlight had driven them apart. I didn't want that for my life.

I caught Michael's eye and he shot me an apologetic glance.

"Not much longer" he mouthed.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. With Michael not much longer could mean another two hours.  And I was going to die of starvation if he didn't hurry.

Melodramatically I pointed to my throat and Michael cocked an eyebrow as I faked a swoon in my chair.  Not able to see in the window when I "fell", I heard Michael coughing back a laugh in the headset and I straightened.  His hand over his mouth, Michael's fingers were spread over his lips and his eyes shimmered with suppressed laughter.  

"Drama queen" He mouthed, opening his fingers.  Unperturbed I faked another swoon and Michael coughed loudly.

"Mr. Jackson, are you okay?"

My cell phone vibrated in my pocket, and I shot Michael a smirk while I pulled my headset off and grabbed it.  Pulling it up to my ear I answered it.

"Hello?  Katie?"

Aunt Liz's smooth voice flowed through the earpiece, and I smiled hearing her voice.

"Hey...." I said affectionately, pulling a lock of hair away from my face.  I heard shuffling on the other end of the line, and I shifted against the back of my chair and turned with my boot to face the opposite wall.  Pressing the palm of my hand against my ear, I heard her punch a bunch of buttons.

"Just a second darling, I can't seem to get this devilish thing to cooperate."

"Just push the button marked SPEAKERPHONE." I chuckled, hearing her swear softly.  Laying a hand against my leg I smoothed out a wrinkle in my jeans.  "What are you doing that you need it on speakerphone anyway?"

"Katie?" She paused and I heard a loud crash.  Her voice raising an octave, her next question was screamed loudly from a distance away.  "Did you say something?"

I shook my head, and choked back a laugh. "Aunt Liz, you didn't get the speakerphone activated.  I can't hear you. Have someone help you with the button"

"What?"  Her voice drifted farther away, and I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing loud enough that she could hear. "I'm sorry darling you're going to have to speak up I can't hear you.  There's something wrong with this phone."

She probably thought she'd activated the speakerphone and had walked away from the cell..  Only having gotten her first smart phone a few weeks ago, she was still a little shaky on operating it.

"Hey Lizz."

Michael's soft voice startled me from behind, and I felt his head slide up against my cheek as he pressed in close to the phone. The scent of his cologne overwhelmed my senses, and I felt my breath hitch when his jaw grazed my ear.

"HONEY DID YOU SAY SOMETHING ELSE? I THINK IM GOING TO HAVE TO CALL YOU BACK."

Shaking my head, I offered a quick goodbye and ended the call.   Laying my cell phone on my lap, I felt Michael's breath against my ear and he turned my chair around to face him.  Bent down to where he was eye level with me, Michael's eyes were crinkled in amusement.

"Speakerphone?"

I bit the inside of my cheek and nodded my head.

"I figured."

We shared a smile.  Turning serious, Michael's eyes searched my face. "I know that I keep saying this, but I'm sorry that took so long...."

A bit of concealer Michel's makeup artist had put on him smudged, I could see the bags under his eyes and I ran my hands along the stress lines on his forehead. "You're working yourself to hard.." I admonished him quietly, sliding my hand down on his cheek. Knowing me as well as he did, he picked up on the meaning behind my words instantly and leaned in to my hand and pressed a kiss to my palm.

.  "I'm okay" He spoke with certainty.  His warm breath caressed my fingers, and searching my eyes he placed his hand on top of my own and squeezed reassuringly.   I promise."

"Mr. Jackson, we're ready to head to your next appointment.  Would you like us to pick up lunch on the way there or would you like to wait?"

Michael's eyes didn't leave my face until I nodded indicating we were okay.

"We'll grab something on the way Tyler, thanks."

______________________________________________________________________________

Michael's POV

I sat in the dark penthouse suit on the couch and the moonlight reflected against Katie's head as she slept tucked against my chest.  Her long, tone legs laying along the other crumpled cushions, I watched the steady rise and fall of her chest and my stomach tightened when her hand fell against my t-shirt. Slender fingers situated lightly against the cotton fabric, I felt a course of electricity coarse down my spine when her hand slipped down to my lower abdomen. I groaned, realizing my growing feelings were more than me missing her, and I tried to push my increasing attraction aside. She was like a sister.  I shouldn't be having these kind of feelings.,  

 Reaching up, I pinched the bridge of my nose and I leaned my head back and closed my eyes.

"Michael?"

My eyes had barely shut when I heard her voice and I opened them and glanced down.  Staring at me with her lips parted slightly, Katie tilted her head and smiled at me.

"Sorry...." She murmured, stifling a yawn.  "I didn't mean to fall asleep."

My eyes drifted down to her full lips.  Slightly parted as she fought another yawn, in another unguarded moment I silently wondered what it would be like to kiss her.  To be the only one allowed to kiss her.

Stop it.

I ripped my gaze from her face and looked at the coffee table I had tossed both of my legs up on.  My mind reeling, I reminded myself that my life was complicated and pursing something with Katie would only complicate things further.

"Michael?"

Her soft voice ripped me from my musings and I bit my lower lip and looked back down at her expectantly.

"Hmm?"

"What's going on tomorrow?"

Sighing, I leaned my head back against the couch and closed my eyes.  "I'm not sure...why?"

"No reason."

Her answer given a little bit too quickly, I kept my eyes closed and raised my brow suspiciously.

".....Why?"

"No reason."

Another hurried reply.

Too tired to investigate, I figured I'd get to the bottom of it in the morning and I rested my chin against the top of her head.

"Whatever."

Chapter End Notes:

Hey Guys :)

Hit me up with a review and let me know what you think so far!! I should have another chapter up by tonight.

<3 Leah