- Text Size +



A sharp tug at the back of my hair jerked me back sharply and I squinted in pain.  Reaching my arm up and gently touching the side of my head I let out a sigh of exasperation and glanced up in the mirror.

"Are we about done? I need to be on stage soon."

Grumpily I crossed my jean clad leg and shifted in the uncomfortable black canvas chair that kept me prisoner every morning.  Not the least bit concerned with my appearance, I found it a necessary evil that my job forced me to dress up like a Barbie doll everywhere that I went.  Currently in New York to promote the show, my makeup stylist had set up my small, portable makeup table and chair in a corner of a large room backstage for The View.  Letting out another grump of exasperation when I felt another sharp tug I peaked up at my hair and makeup stylist, Annya to see her unfazed.  Shooting her a cross look in the mirror I glanced down at the People magazine in my lap and roughly turned a page.

I wasn't going to get any empathy. She was used to my morning grumpiness. 

"Aanya?"

I crossed my arms across my soft blue cotton shirt.  Annya puckered her lips behind me and pulled another bobbi pin from her lip.  Waves of blonde hair billowed gently around her pale features. Her brow puckered, Annya's large crystal blue eyes studied my head intently checking for imperfections. 

"AANYA!"

In the process of twisting another section of my chestnut hair, Annya's long slender fingers halted and she glanced up at me in the mirror in exasperation.

"Katie, I HAVE to get this done.  What is it?"

I tossed the magazine on the table in front of me and the magazine landed on a black tube of mascara.  Giving Annya a frustrated scowl I repeated my question. "Are we almost done?"

Rolling her eyes, Annya glanced back down at me head and resumed her task.

"Another fifteen minutes, tops."

Satisified that I wasn't going to be stuck immobile for much longer, I resisted the urge to slouch in my chair and I pulled my Iphone from my pocket. Sliding my finger against the glass I quickly punched in my password and smiled when I saw Michael had sent me a text this morning from Japan.  Hitting the message icon in the top right corner my phone quickly pulled up Michael's name and I read the message.

Just landed.  Figured you'd want to know I wasn't swimming in the Atlantic.

He so knew me.  Every time Michael I was flying I was paranoid he was going to end up dead in a fiery crash.  Irrational, but I had a hard time with all of the traveling Michael and Aunt Liz did since they were all I had.

The message sent a couple of hours ago, I realized Michael had probably passed out asleep in his hotel room by now and I typed up a quick message and hit the lock button. Shifting slightly in my chair to push the phone back in my pocket a spray of hairspray hit me straight in the face and I lifted my hands in front me coughing.

"Are you trying to kill me?"

"Don't tempt me, grump."

Cracking a smile at Annya's retort, I glanced up at her as the midst cleared and saw her shoot me a wink.  This was how it was pretty much every morning.  The first couple of hours Annya was pulling me together we bickered and when she was finished we were totally cool.  Hopping out of the chair I spun around for Annya to do one final inspection.  Annya nodded her head in confirmation that I was done and I sighed in relief and reached forward to grab my microphone hook up from the table.

"Let me help you clip it on."

Annya's metallic gold stilettos clicked against the tan marble flooring and her long silver earrings reflected prisms of light against my shirt as she quickly shuffled behind me and hooked me up for the show.  Glancing in the mirror I tugged at my shirt a couple of times around the collar to straighten it and I glanced in resignation in the mirror. 

I was so awkward.

"Alright, all set." Annya's heels clicked against as she walked a circle around me and came to face me.  Pulling a strand of hair from her eyes Annya cocked her head to the side and looked at me questioningly.

"I'll see you at the station at one?"

Realizing she meant the radio station I was headed to after her I gave her a slight nod.

"Katie! We're ready for you over by the stage."

I mumbled a thanks to Annya, even though I still thought my morning ritual pointless, and I spun around and spotted the area I was supposed to head.  Several people running in different directions trying to get ready for the show to launch in a few minutes, I carefully dodged my way past them and self-consciously tucked my arms against my stomach.

"Katie, there you are darling, finally.  You look absolutely smashing."

Lilac scented perfume infused my senses as Sharon came into view and I smiled warmly.  Her hair dyed a dark auburn, Sharon Osborne's chic haircut framed her large expressive eyes.  Dressed in a red leather jacket and a black t-shirt, Sharon's dainty frame was complimented with the dark wash skinny jeans and black sandals she was wearing. 

"Thanks."

Sharon smiled at me again, and quickly explained some of the key points they were going to discuss.  Most of it related to the show and my character I Okayed all of the topics.

"Sharon, it's time."

Music began playing and the crowd began cheering as some of the other women on the show began taking their places at the table.  Sharon glanced over at the stage, and then shot me one final look of encouragement.

"You're going to do brilliantly darling, don't be nervous."

I was so transparent for an actress.

Blushing, I thanked her again.  Giving me a knowing smile Sharon walked onto the stage and the women settled at the table and began discussing the topics for today.

"And today we have with us a special guest.  Katie HOLMES is here today ya'll!"

From my angle behind the stage I glanced to the audience and I smiled seeing a few teenage girls light up with excitement.  Screams erupting from their seats in the second row, I made a mental note where they were sitting and glanced back to the stage.

The women made a few more comments and the show went to commercial.  Inhaling deeply a couple of times, I knew that I was on immediately following the break and I calmed my nerves.

Interviews were a lot more stressful for me than taping the show.  Being such an introverted person with people I didn't know well, it was a lot easier for me to pretend to be someone else when taping.

"We're back from commercial in 3......2.......1"

The crowd erupted in applause from the stands on stage and I glanced back to the large table sitting in the front of the room.  Cameras surrounding the ladies sitting at the table I mentally rehearsed each women's name as they made my introduction.

"KATIE TAYLOR!"

Cheering intensified and the cameras all swung to look at me.  Plastering a smile on my face I stepped up onto the stage, thankful for the flats I had on, and I walked across the room to the table.  All of them standing to greet me, I hugged each lady before settling into my chair.  Crossing my legs under the table I slid my hand into the black coffee mug's handle and I lifted the mug and took a sip.

"So good to see you Katie."

Swallowing the hot liquid I felt it trickle down my throat and I forced myself not to let out a groan of satisfaction.

Annya had refused to let me drink coffee this morning while she was doing my makeup.  

Glancing to the edge of the stage I saw Annya watching from where I had been a moment ago and I shot her a victorious smirk.  Rolling her eyes at my teasing, I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing and I glanced back over to Sara who had just spoken.  Sitting my mug down in front of me I forced myself to pay attention.

"So tell us about the show.  You're in your first season?"

Nodding my head, I carefully tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Yes, that's correct.  The show's basically about a few kids experiencing adolescence together.  There's a lot of really good material that's going to come out of the next few episodes."

"Rumor has it that the first season has taken off so quickly your currently already in the process of shooting for season 2?"

Nodding my head again, I smiled.  "Yes, we began shooting last week. We we're just confirmed for next season a couple of weeks ago."

"So four shows on air and your already green lighted, that's amazing."

"Did any of you expect it to take off this quickly?"

The question coming from Sharon, I turned in my chair since I was sitting beside her and made eye contact.

"We definitely hoped, but it's amazing that things have happened this quickly.  We all feel really fortunate."

"Rumor has it your dating your co-star Joshua Jackson?"

Shaking my head no emphatically, I blushed and reached for my mug. "Definitely not, just friends."  I quickly denied raising the mug to take a sip.

"That's not what I heard. I heard you were dating that gorgeous friend of yours Michael Jackson."

My mouth full of coffee, I glanced over at Whoopee Goldberg as the coy statement flew from her lips. Coffee went flying from my mouth in surprise.  Covering my mouth with my free hand I dropped my mug on the table and clumsily overturned it.  I watched in horror as the coffee buzzed across the table and spattered against the notecards placed on the table.

"We'll be RIGHT back with Katie right after this."
The show instantly went to commercial and panic erupted from around the table as all of the other ladies interviewing me jumped up.  Makeup personal for each person came running on stage trying to blot the coffee that had spilled over the edge of the table and I stood back a couple of feet and watched the scene play out. 

"Katie?"

Spinning around to see Annya staring at me with an amused look on her face I shot her a look.

"Don't even say it."
_____________________________________________________________________________

Michael's POV (part two)

Sleep eluded me after the long plane ride and I glanced across the room and looked at the clock.

9:00 AM

I had only been in bed three hours.  

Glancing up at the ceiling in exasperation I tugged my blanket down to my waist and sat up in bed.  

The first day of my tour.

My stomach clenched up in nervous energy and mentally I ran through my checklist of things to do today.  Realizing it was probably a good thing that I was up with so much to do I tossed my legs over the side of the bed and I stared out the large window.Downtown Tokyo buzzed beneath the beaming glare of the sun, and cars zipped down the busy streets. Getting up from the bed I walked closer to the window and I stood at the ledge.  The city, so tiny looking from the view of the hotel penthouse, brimmed with life below and I saw a multitude of Japanese fans and press beneath. 


 I pressed my head up to the glass so they could see me, and shot them a wave and a quick smile.  Even from my window I could hear the muted proof of their screams and I quickly dropped the blinds and moved away from the window so I wouldn't disturb the other guests.  Spinning back around I looked at my room and noted how lonely it felt with no one else around.  Deciding to check and see if Katie had gotten my text earlier I crossed the room and grabbed my cell phone on top of the mahogany dresser by the door.  

Quickly I typed in the password and the conversation window between Katie and I popped up immediately.

"Glad to hear it.  That would have been BAD."

I rolled my eyes at the cheesy comment and shot back a reply.

Almost as BAD as that joke. 

I tossed the phone on the bed and headed into the bathroom to take a shower.  The cold marble floor felt cool against my bare feet and I shivered crossing the bathroom to the large glass shower.  Sliding the door open I leaned inside and flipped the water on.  

Water came gushing out of the large shower head and I leaned out and quickly tugged off my white shirt.  Tossing it on the ground I walked over to the mirror and grabbed the bottle of body wash I had packed.  I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I winced seeing all of the discolored blotches on my chest.  

You're such a loser.  If your fans ever saw you this way...

Quickly looking away, I swallowed back a lump in my throat and tossed my blue and grey checkered bottoms over by the wall.  I waited a couple of minutes for the shower to warm up and then stepped in.  The water felt good against my tired muscles and cramped limbs.  Letting the water relax me I quickly washed my body so I wouldn't have to look at myself long and I turned off the water and stepped out.  Large, white fluffy towels stacked on a shelf a few inches away I quickly dried off and wrapped one around my waist.

Warm, moist air hung in the air.  My bedroom and bathroom adjacent in the large suite,  I walked back out into the large green and white room and headed back over to the bed.

"Where's the remote?" I mumbled, looking over the nightstand.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw my phone light up on the bed next to me.  The remote forgotten I saw Katie's name light up on the caller ID and I plopped myself down on the bed and picked up the phone to answer it.

"Hey Katy-Did what's up?"

I settled my head back against the pillows and placed my arms behind my neck.  Long strands of hair clung to my face and neck and I set the phone down on the pillow next to my ear and pulled it off my shoulders while Katie talked.

"I'm moving to Africa." She groaned, letting out an exasperated sigh.  "I've always wanted to live near Kangaroos."

 I crossed my arms behind my head again and leaned back. "Katie..." I started, choking back a chuckle "Kangaroos are in Australia." 

The line went silent and I waited for her to speak again.

"I'm hopeless."

"No...." I teased softly, chuckling.  "You're a dork." 

"....Did you see it yet?"

My eyes roamed over the mess of clothes I had tossed in the floor last night in my exhausted attempt to get ready for bed and my brow furrowed in confusion at her question.

"See what?"

"...turn on the tv."

I glanced up at the ceiling and chuckled.

"Katie, I'm in Japan remember? I doubt whatever you're talking about is on television here."

"Trust me.  Turn it on."

Shrugging my shoulders, I glanced over at the end table again and looked for the remote.  Seeing it tucked between the lamp and the wall I grabbed it and flipped on the tv.

"What exactly am I looking for?"

"A news station."

"It's going to be in Japanese."

I heard her sigh on the other end of the line again in exasperation, and I chuckled.

"Just watch it."

"Just watch it" I mimicked playfully. 

Katie ignored me, and I flipped through the stations until I saw a reporter talking.  Seeing my name mixed in with a bunch of Japanese words I cocked an eyebrow.

"What's the big deal? It looks like just coverage for the tour."

"Umm, or not."

Sighing, I stayed quiet and tried to make sense of what they were saying.  Not making any progress, I reached for the remote to shut it off when they began playing a video and I saw Katie pop up on the screen.

The screen panned in on Katie taking a sip of coffee.

"That's not what I heard.  I heard that you were in a relationship with Michael Jackson."

The cameras swung back to Katie, and I watched coffee spew from her mouth all over the table.  My eyes wide in amazement, the remote dropped from my hands and I watched as the scene grew increasingly worse when Katie dumped a mug of coffee all over the table.

"....Did they show it yet?"

Recognizing that I probably shouldn't laugh into the phone and make her feel worse, I fumbled with my phone, muted it, and erupted in a fit of giggles. 

".....Michael I know you muted the phone.  Seriously just unmute it and talk to me."

Tears spilled down my cheeks from laughter, and I sucked in huge gasps of air a couple of times to try and calm myself down as I hit the unmute button.

"It's not funny" She whined into the phone, her voice muffled.  "Two days from now they are going to be saying that we are in a secret love affair and I'm pregnant with your triplets."

"That wouldn't be so bad." I teased, choking back more laughter.  "You know you've always wanted little Michael's.  Maybe then they'll give you a bigger trailer."

"MICHAEL."

"With a bigger window."

"JOSEPH"

Barely restraining my laughter, I laid a hand on my chest and grinned cheekily. "...and a pull out bed.  To make more little Michaels."

"I hate you."

"There's a thin line between love and hate."

"No....there's just hate."

Rolling my eyes to the ceiling, I chuckled knowing she was teasing.

"Then why are you still talking to me?"

"Child support. I'm going to need some help with the little Michael's I'm apparently "pregnant" with."

Both of us grew quiet for a minute, and then exploded in laughter.

"You realize, if someone ever heard one of these conversations they would think we were serious right?"

"My bodyguard is in here.  ...He already knows I'm warped though."

"He should by now.  He's been with you, what, a week now?"

I heard Katie's chuckle on the other end of the line, and I smiled happy that I had taken her mind of what had happened this morning.  Closing my eyes, I relaxed against the soft mattress.

"Michael?"

"Mmm?" 

"Thanks for making me feel better."

Chapter End Notes:

Hey Guys :)

This is the first part of this chapter.  I'm going to upload the rest in a little bit.  College has been CRAZY so it's been awhile since I updated :S Sorry about that guys. 

<3 Leah