- Text Size +
Story Notes:





Katie




Elizabeth



Michael

"Michael! Michael! Michael!"

The stadium was filled with thousands of screaming fans, and from my seat behind stage I could see girls in the front row screaming and reaching frantically across the barricades trying to touch him . The majority of them dressed in Bad tour shirts with tears streaming down their faces, I marveled at the intensity of their devotion and silently wondered if any other performer had ever been able to capture the same intense connection with their fans.

Probably not...

He was a genius  I thought my eyes trailing up to the stage.  Dressed in a white undershirt, opened blue dress shirt, and black slacks Michael's hair clung against his glistening neck and cheeks.  Breathing heavily under the beam of the heavy spotlights, Michael's blue dress shirt rattled against the wind propelling out of the large fans off the sides of the stages and he reached up and tugged at his collar as the music began playing.  

"I'm gonna make a change...for once in my life." Michael rocked by and forth against the microphone stand with his eyes closed. "It's gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference, gonna make it right."

Michael's thick black curls dangled at the sides of his face and strands of hair slipped from the ponytail.  Smiling, I thought about how far Michael had come with his career in the last few years and I turned in my seat to glance at my Aunt Liz.  Dressed in a shimmering black sweater and a pair of black slacks, Aunt Liz reached up and patted her carefully styled hair.   Nudging her in the side I leaned in close to her and cupped my hand over my mouth.  Nodding my head to the stage, I pointed my finger out to the crowd.

"It's incredible, isn't it?"

Thick black lashes framed her large violet eyes as they scannned over the audience.  

"Darling, It truly is remarkable." She finally responded, reaching over the edge of her chair to pat my arm.    "I think it's only going to grow from here on out though." She replied looking over at me.  "Michael's success shows no signs of slowing down."

No kidding.

I had been acting since I was nine and was just now finding success on televison.  Proud of my own accomplishments, I could hardly believe how quickly Michael's career was flourishing with every song, music video, and short film he made.  Quickly he was becoming a global phenomem and it hadn't even come close to slowing down since we had met at the studios so many years ago while he was working on Thriller.  Introduced by my Aunt Liz, who had been a confidante and close friend of Michael's for as long as I can remember, Over the years we had become as close as two people could be.  Michael was someone that I respected, had tons in common with, and also had a good time with when we both were able to clear our schedules long enough to spend time together.

"Do you know how much longer this is going to go?"   I ran a hand through my hair and looked nervously at the clock sitting perched above the curtains.  I had been here all day waiting for Michael to find a break and I was starting to get antsy.  "I have to be back at the studio first thing in the morning."

Shrugging her shoulders Aunt Liz kept her eyes trained ahead. I let out a resigned sigh realizing I was probably going to take off before he was even finished so that I could pour over my lines for the morning.  Relectuantly I looked over at the stage one more time and bit my lip hesitantly.

"I can't believe he's going to be gone for over a year."

"I know Katie.  But he'll fly in when he can."

Her voice was laced with sincerity, but I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.    It was more likely i'd be the one to find the time.  When Michael was on tour he had a one track mind.

"Will you tell him I had to leave for me?"

Her eyes widened in surprise.  One of Michael's guitarist raced between our chairs and both of us ducked our heads as the guitar hanging from his neck swung hazardly at his waist.  

"Sorry!"  He yelled, still running.  Raising his hand in a half wave, he disappeared behind the risers to get in place for the next number and I pulled a few strands of hair from my eyes and straightened.

 "Your leaving?"

Incrediously, Aunt Liz straightened in her chair and layed her perfectly french maincured hand on the arm rest.  Tilting her head slightly she looked at my curiously.

"I have too."

Her eyes flashed understanding and I reached down and grabbed my purse.  Adjusting out of the chair I pulled my hair behind my ear and leaned down to give her a kiss on the cheek.  Closing her eyes momentarily, she quickly squeezed my hand and looked back up.  

"Be careful in the traffic sweet girl.  I wouldn't know what to do if something happened to you."

Affectionately, my eyes softened and I leaned down to pull her in a hug.

"Same goes for you."  
__________________________________________________________________________________

"Joey...i've been looking everywhere for you"  James whispy blonde hair and large brown eyes stared back at me after opening the closet.  Dressed in a pair of light denim jeans and a dark green sweater I stared back up at him, vulnerably.  

His soft green sweater felt soft against my wrist as he leaned down to grab my arm.  I let him pull me from the closet and bit my lower lip.  

"There's nothing going on between Jen and Me.  What you saw today was completely innocent."

I turned away from him and looked down to the bed.  Raising my eyebrows nonchalantly I let out a resigned sigh.

"Look, you don't have to explain to me Dawson."

"Yes..."  James moved closer to me and grabbed both of my arms.  "Yes I do..." He whispered, searching my eyes.

"We're just friends!" Throwing my arms up in the air I took a step back from him and ran a hand through my hair.

"No, we're more than that you know that."

"And....cut!"  

The cameras backed away from their marks and immediately both of us were surrounded by makeup and hairstylists trying to make sure that we looked good enough for the next take.  

"James...the line was supposed to be..."  

Tim our director hopped out of his seat.  Waving the script in the air quickly he hussled over and led James away from the crew to discuss his blunder.  I watched them both go for a minute and let out a large yawn.  Up most of the night learning my lines, I was exhausted from all of the takes we had done tonight and silently I wondered if we'd be done in time for me to order Chinese from the place a couple of blocks away from my condo.  Most nights everything was closed by the time we were able to leave.

"Katie?"

I heard Tim's voice behind me and I turned around and looked at him questioningly.

"We're going to go ahead and shoot the scene with Dawson and Pacey now.  So if you want to go head out to your trailer for a couple of hours we will call for you when we are done."

Nodding my head, I gave him a smile and looked over to the chair I had piled all of my stuff in earlier.  Pulling my hair into a ponytail, I wrapped my hair up in the elastic band I had on my wrist and I made my way over to the chair. My hand ran along the dark blue canvas, and I grabbed the soft brown suede coat and book.

"Guess who."

Large cold hands fell over my eyes. Letting out a surprised squeal I took a step back and stumbled.

"Michael?!"

Michael's hands slid from my face and I turned around to face him.  Dressed in a leather black jacket, long ebony curls hung loosely framing his face and dark black aviator shades covered his eyes.  Michael raised his perfectly arched eyebrow and reached up to slide off his sunglasses.

"Is that all I get.." Michael teased, mimicking my voice.  "Michael?"

Shooting him a sharp glare I lightly shoved him in the arm.  Chuckling, Michael wrapped an arm around my shoulder and the buckles on his jacket jingled from the movement.

"How long have you been here?"

Michael jerked his shoulders cockily and leaned his head down to look at me.  

"Awhile."  A strand of hair fell against his forehead and he raised an eyebrow.  "Unlike some people I wasn't going to leave until i was able to see you."

Referring to my departure from last night, I let out an indigant squeal and lightly pushed him in the stomach. "You were in rehearsals for six hours and went straight into your performance afterwards!" I tilted my head back laughing.  "Your obsessed."

Michael's cocky grin turned sheepish, and he squeezed my shoulders. "I don't know what your talking about." He mumbled, putting his sunglasses back on.  

"Mmhmm." Changing the subject I nodded over to my trailer. How long are you staying? Do you have time to visit with me in the trailer for a little bit?

 I tossed my coat over my arm and looked at him expectantly.

"I don't know..." He grinned, biting his cheek.  "Is it big enough for two people?"

Rolling my eyes, I pushed him aside.  Michael's arm slid from around my shoulders and laughing, he ran to catch up with me as I started walking.

"It's a serious question!" He chuckled coming up behind me.

Michael loved to pester me about my tiny trailer since he had an entire bus to himself on tour.  Shooting him another fake glare Michael chuckled again and both of us wandered the back lots of the studio until we finally ended up in the trailers.  Walking past Jame's, we finally came up on mine.  The exterior painted a soft blue, I walked up a couple of stairs and pulled open the door.

The smell of my vanilla raisin reed diffuser hit me as soon as I stepped inside.  The room decorated in beige, yellows, and light blues I had a small loveseat, televison, and vanity.  Tossing my coat on a small coat rack near the door I adjusted my hair and plopped down on the velvet loveseat cushion.

Looking back over at Michael, his large frame looked out of place in the small room and I snickered when he bumped his head on the light fixture and let out a low grumble.

"This...place...is entirely too small."

"Or your too big..." I mumbled.  Michael came around to the other side.  Rolling his eyes Michael tossed my silver throw pillow at my head and I ducked, laughing.

Michael tugged at his coat, and as soon as he sank down in the cushions let out a tired sigh.  Looking over at him for the first time I noticed the black circles under his eyes.  Reaching up a hand up to brush a curl his from his eye I clucked my tongue affectionately and leaned over onto his chest.

"Are you still not sleeping?" I said softly, resting a hand on his jacket.  

"No...but i've got a doctor meeting me at my next tour stop."

Nodding my head, I hesitated.  "Just, please don't let them load you up with medications again..."

When i had met Michael, he had been drowning in a prescription addiction.  In the beginning it hadn't been his fault.  He had been horribly burned in a pepsi commercial take and the doctor's had put him on some seriously addictive medicine after his surgery.  The addiction though had taken a life of it's own and he had spiraled out of control.  Shuddering, the memories washed over me in waves and my stomach clenched tightly.

"I'm fine Katie.  I'm not going back down that road."

Michael's lips were drawn in a thin line.  I knew from looking at him, and the tone in his voice he didn't expect to get thrown back into that world again...but how could I not worry?  

I had already lost both of my parents...i didn't want to lose him too.

Both of them had died in a crash when I was sixteen.  Devastated, I had moved in with Aunt Liz and she had introduced me to Michael hoping that we could both help each other- him with my grief and me with his addictions.  She had been right, in a way we had saved one another which I think is one of the reasons we had come to rely so heavily on one another.  Him and Aunt Liz were everyone in the world that I had.  

I loved them both deeply.

"I don't want you to leave..."  I mumbled, reaching up to play with some of the chains on Michael's jacket.  Affectionately Michael kissed the top of my head and groaned.

"I know."

"You leave tomorrow?"

Michael didn't say anything, and i knew his silence meant I had been right.  Fear lodged in my heart, the same fear I felt every time he left.

One of these days he was going to forget you... My mind told myself.  Shaking my head slowly I forced the thought from my mind and blew between my teeth.

"I'll call you everyday."

Nudging him in the arm, I slid my head up to look at him and forced a smile.  "You better."

Michael and I sat quietly then, enjoying being together.  Closing my eyes, I felt Michael's long slender fingers run through my hair.  He continued doing this for several moments and the tension that had been locked into my shoulders and neck quickly faded leaving me totally relaxed.  I heard Michael's heartbeat against my ear and his steady breathing made me feel comforted.  Slowly letting my hand trail to his stomach I ran light circles with my fingertips.   

"I wish you could come with me..." Michael finally said softly, his fingers massaging my scalp.  Opening my eyes, I sighed and nodded in agreement.

"I finish filming this season in three weeks.  I'll fly over to see you then."

"Oh Dawson.....I love you.  Dawson, your EVERYTHING TO ME."

Michael started mimicking the character I played in the tv series and I giggled and lightly kicked his leg.  "Stop it."

"Dawson, HAVE MY BABY PLEASSSE!"

Michael's girlish squealing made me hide my face against his chest laughing.  Wrapping his arms around my waist I felt Michael lay another kiss on my head chuckling.

"Your ridiculous..." I mumbled, smiling.

"I'll miss you too."

Chapter End Notes:

Hey Guys :)

So this is the story I actually had planned to upload as soon as When I Look At You wrapped, but i've actually got a ton of ideas for this so i'm going to put it up now :)  Lemme know what you guys think.  <3 Leah