- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Popping a piece of gum in my mouth, I anxiously knocked on Frank's front door.

 Bird's chirped and the radiant beams of the sun warmed the daft chill of the air. I let out a small sigh and I rolled the small piece of foil between my fingers, slipping it and my aviator shades into my pocket just as Frank pulled back the front door, clearly not happy at my being early.

"Michael, why are you always so early?" Frank scowled before opening the door wide enough for me to enter and stepping aside.

" You're such a Nazi when it comes to being on time."

I gave Frank a tentative smile as he scowled unhappily at me.

Using my tongue I pushed the gum to the side, shooting Frank a sunny smirk as he motioned for me to come in. He grumbled while he closed the door, popping a thick, brown cigar into his mouth.

"Frank, you know that's bad for you."

"I told ya, Michael. If I'm gonna die, why not go out doing something I like?"

 I shook my head as he flicked the head of a lighter, taking a healthy breath of air in before replacing it back in his pocket.

"You keep that up and you're going to go before you should."

Frank scoffed. He wore a brown sports jacket over a crisp white shirt, his thinning hair slicked back away from his face, tied against the back of his neck. His pants matched the shade of his jacket, black shoes on his feet. He peered at me as I took a seat, flopping heavily in a chair to rest my back.

"Did you approve the new tour schedule I faxed?" he asked, slightly slurred from the cigar that dangled in his mouth.

I simply nodded, unhappy that he had suddenly decided to propose thirty more shows and even more scheduled appearances to promote the tour. My schedule was already crammed enough as it was. If I approved his plans for all this I would barely have enough time to breathe.

"It's impossible to do, Frank. You know how crowded we are already..this is just unnecessary. There's

 just not enough time to do everything."

Frank crossed his arms, his eyes narrowing as a thin blue wisp of smoke wafted in front of his face. I met his stare, shaking my head.

"We can't, Frank. Maybe if you brought it up beforehand we could have added more dates, had time to add it to the performance roster but this was last minute. We can't change it now."

"I thought you paid me to make out your schedule and to tell you what you can and cannot fit in!" Frank exclaimed his eyes blazing.

 I sighed, calmly standing, adjusting my red long sleeve shirt before I raised my head to meet his displeased gaze.

"I do,  But It can't be done, Frank. I'm not a machine! I have to have time to recover and rest..you don't seem to understand that since you insist on pushing several more days added to this already crowded tour.  What is going on with you anyway?"

Frank's face turned red.  Pulling the cigar from his mouth Frank turned away from me and started barking orders to everyone else.

"Alright people, let's get moving! WHITNEY! WHERE ARE YOU!"

Letting out a resigned sigh, I decided this conversation would have to wait for another day and headed across the room to a white padded bench sitting underneath a large silver mirror.  I sat down and adjusted the black fedora I had worn waiting for Frank to get everything organized enough that we could load the busses.

"Michael!"  Frank barked, taking another puff of his cigar and leaning against the bannister. "Your suitcase already on the bus?"

Nodding my head Frank turned his attention to someone else and walked out of the room.   "Hey Janet.."  Frank called rounding the corner.

Bump, bump, bump.

I heard a noise from upstairs and I looked up to see what was going on.   As soon as I did I saw a beautiful woman with long blond curls crouched down and walking backwards down the stairs with two large black suitcases with purple trim and one identical from the others dangling from her mouth.

Who was that?

Mesmerized I watched the way her hips swung beneath her dark jean shorts and the way her slightly sheer white tunic just barely grazed the edge of her waist.  Moving slowly her ponytail bounced behind her in sync with her movements and I watched her tug them steadily down the stairs until she was halfway there.

"Whitney!"  Frank entered the room, a look of annoyance on his face.   Turning to look towards the  stairway Frank glanced up and  yelled again. "What the hell are you doing?!"

Wait...THAT was Whitney?

Shocked I watched the exchange.. Hearing her dad Whitney rolled her eyes, stopped, and dropped the suitcases.  Turning to look at him Whitney put a hand on her hip and pointed to the door.

"Loading the bus dad, like you TOLD me I HAD to do."

Hearing someone tell Frank off normally would have made me laugh, and yet...wow. Shaking my head slightly I forced myself to stop looking at her and reminded myself that she was the same gangly girl I had seen a few years ago.

AND that she was Frank's daughter.

Pulling my cell phone out of my pocket I checked my voicemail to make sure I hadn't missed any phone calls this morning getting ready.  Not seeing any missed calls I shoved the phone back in my pocket and stood up. 

"NOO!"

I looked up just in time to see Whitney tumbling down the stairs in a gigantic mess of purple and black suitcases.  Taking a few steps towards her quickly I reached down to help her up.

"You okay?"  I asked concerned, checking her over for bruises.

Whitney's hair had slipped from her ponytail and was laying in a mess around her shoulders.  Blowing a few strands of hair away from her face Whitney let out a resigned sigh and reached up to take my hand.

"Yeah, thanks" She groaned not looking up.  "I better get these on the bus before my Nazi father-"

Whitney smiled and looked up at me midsentence.  As soon as she realized who I was her expression changed to what looked like stark terror.  Her eyes wide, Whitney accidentally lost her footing and her hand slipped from mine sending her careening back into the floor.

"She's riding with you."

Frank's command was issued as she walked out the door with a couple of my bodyguards.  Not even given enough time to reply I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and glanced back down at Whitney.

"You want me to help you load these up?"

Whitney's mouth had formed a wide O and she was staring at the door Frank had just walked out of.  Her face still looking painstakingly panicked I figured maybe she needed a moment to herself and I bent down and began grabbing things that had fallen out of her suitcase.

What was this?

A thick composition notebook had landed open when the suitcases had fallen and picking up the book I couldn't help but read some of the things that had been written.

Enchanted

This night is sparkling don't you let it go
I'm wonder struck blushing all the way home
I spent forever wondering if you knew
It was enchanted to meet you

The lingering question came me up
two am who do you love
I wondered till im wide awake
And now im pacing back and forth
Wishing you were at my door

I'd open it up and you would say
It was enchanting to meet you
All I know is I was enchanted to meet you

This was the very first page
not where the storyline ends
my thoughts will echo your name
until I see you again
these were the words I help back
I was enchanted to meet you

Please don't be in love with someone else
Please don't have somebody waiting on you.

Raising my eyebrows, I realized it was a song and from the looks of it one that Whitney had written herself.  Looking back down at her Whitney had begun gathering her luggage and throwing piles of it back in the bags.  Clearing my throat I waited until she glanced up at me and held up the notebook.

"Is this your writing?"

Whitney glanced between me and the notebook and her face went crimson.  Giving her an encouraging smile I reached down to hand her the notebook.

"Your stuff...it's really good."

Whitney's breath caught in her throat and quickly she glanced down at the book to see what song the notebook had opened up on.  Letting out a loud groan when she saw it Whitney buried her face against the page.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Whitney's POV

Of course he'd pick up the book and it would be opened to the song I had written after first meeting him.  It had been years ago and I hadn't been much more than thirteen.  I had been awestruck with him.

Please don't ask me who it's about... Please don't ask me who it's about...Please don't ask me-

"Who's it about? Anyone I know?"

It was official.  Today was the day I was going to find out if you could actually die from embarrassment.

  I ignored his question. "Why couldn't just one thing go right today?" I murmured against the page of my notebook .  "Maybe I'll melt into a puddle of embarrassment and die so that I don't have to look at his face again."

"I'm sorry, what was that?"

Michael's voice broke me out of my trance and inwardly I was mortified.

Had I seriously say all of that out loud? I needed to learn to keep my mouth shut.

"Nothing..."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hey Guys :) THanks so much for reading.  AHH! Poor Whitney can you imagine having to ride with Michael after all that?  Read and review and let us know what you think. 

Here's Whitney's song too if you want to listen to it :)