- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Short, one-shot written for my two word challenge: fly, jacket.

"Michael, put your jacket on. It's cold outside." Katherine was still overprotective of all of her children, even though they'd all grown up.

“Mother, I'm not a little kid anymore,” Michael laughed lightly.

“Just because you're not young, doesn't mean you aren't a child,” she said. “Besides, you'll always be my child.” She hugged Michael's side before letting him go. He smiled in return, feeling warmed by his mother's words.

The family was meeting in the backyard at Havenhurst. Katherine and Joseph were getting all the boys together one last time for a tour. Michael had already gone his own way with his solo career, but the public still wanted to see the brothers. And as much as Katherine loved to see Michael succeed, she didn't like seeing her other children get left behind.

Joseph was already talking to the other brothers when Michael and Katherine joined them outside. “I need you boys to come together again. We're gonna give them one more tour and this one has to be the best! All six of you are gonna be up there.” The brothers stared on as they listened to Joseph ramble. The quieter they were now, the quicker he'd be done talking. Michael sat away from the group, listening intently. He disapproved of this idea very much, but he kept quiet. Once Joseph finally stopped babbling, the brothers got up and gave each other hugs and high-fives. Excitement was everywhere. Everywhere but near Michael.

Katherine was very perceptive to Michael. She knew something was on his mind, but also that he wouldn't speak up to Joseph. “Baby, what's wrong?” she asked softly.

“Why do I have to do this? Joseph didn't even ask me!” he spat. “He knows I want to do my own tour.”

“Michael,” Katherine took a seat next to him on the bench. “You know your father... he does things his own way. And although it doesn't seem like it, he does it for the good of the whole family; including you. His heart is in the right place.”

Michael rolled his eyes. “Maybe he should keep his 'heart' out of this,” he muttered under his breath.

“I know you've gone off on your own, and you're doing amazing things. I'm so proud of you, Michael. I hope you know that.” She stroked his cheek with her palm. “Like a baby bird, you've spread your wings and you're beginning to fly. There's nowhere for you to go but up.” Michael's eyes lit up, as if he could see exactly what his mother was describing.

“That's exactly how I feel, but this,” he paused, holding his palms out flat, “It's like Joseph is pinning a weight to my legs. I can't carry my brothers with me forever, mother, or else I'll never be free. I'll never be... me.

Katherine gave him a knowing glance. “This is the last thing Joseph will ask of you, and I'll make sure of it. He knows he can't keep his hold on you forever. He just didn't expect it to end this soon. Just do this one last request. If not for Joseph, than for me. I'd love to see all six of you up there. That hasn't happened before.” Michael hesitated. “If it makes you feel better, you can name the tour.” She grinned, knowing how Michael loved making titles.

“Okay, mother. I'll do it for you.”

“So... what are you gonna call it?” she asked. “ I know you've already got a name picked out, don't you?” Michael smiled wide.

“Well, this will be the end of my struggle with Joseph. This tour is my Victory.”