- Text Size +

 

     Jim and April walked briskly to the front door of the mansion with the pie in her hands. Joshua had offered to drive so he waited in the car. April rang the doorbell lightly revealing to be Katherine with a warm smile on her face seeing the big brother and little sister pair.


"Good Evening kids, what may I do for you?" She asked with April shaking her head. "Nothing Mrs. Jackson, Me and Jim just came over to give you guys a pie for letting us stay over here last night and I just wanted to say thank you" "Well, it was my pleasure dear and thank you so much for the pie I'm sure your parents are very proud of you that you are doing things so well" April blushed scratching behind her head with Jim looking at her with a sincere smile.

"Yeah, well we better get back home before Mum starts to have a fit and calls the police" Jim said as Katie giggled. "Well we don't want that to happen now do we?" The kids shook their heads waving goodbye and getting into the Thompsons blue Rose Royce going into the sunset.

     "Who was it?" Joe asked seeing Katherine coming into the kitchen. "That was April and her brother Jim. They stopped by here to give us a pie as a token of thanks for letting her and the girls sleep over here." Joe scowled eyeing the delicious dessert that she put down on the table. "Katie, why don't you and I go outside and have a little talk?" Katherine blinked twice then nodded as they both proceeded into the backyard.


"Joseph, is there something on your mind that you want to tell me without the children around?" She asked as they were sitting on the porch swing not too far from the house. "It's that girl that Michael keeps talking about; I mean what in the world does he see in her?" Katherine studied him for a good 2 minutes then stared down at her hands. "She's just a child Joe, the kids really like her and Michael..." "Listen let me tell you something and you better listen good, I know you're saying that's she's just a child and what not, but don't you think there's something suspicious about her?" Katherine was taken aback by this.

 


"Joseph Walter Jackson, how could you say something like that? she's a sweetheart. You might not like her and her family but they are just like us only a little different which is good but we and them have some things in common." Katherine snapped back looking at Joe straight in his eyes. "Now you're taking up for them? is that what it is?" "I am not taking up for anybody, I'm just saying give them a chance especially the girl and trust me, you will see that she is not an outsider" Katherine walked away leaving Joe to himself seeing her slam the door. He wasn't so sure what was so special about her but he didn't like the fact that Michael kept dreaming about her either. Through the years, he never let his children make any friends or it would interfere of what they were soon to become; he would scowl at the mention of her or see her. But what could it have been really? could it be that they were different, or something else to be perhaps: seeing that they were white people?

He wanted to tell them not to see them again but deep down he didn't want to upset Michael. Michael had always been the sensitive one in the family after all and it was up to him to do what he wanted to do.

Chapter End Notes:

Uh-Oh...