- Text Size +

Chapter 6:

Making A Move

 

I was out at the movie theater doing some cleaning a couple days later. The American leg of Michael’s tour was coming to a close, only one show was left the next day, so he was home a lot more often. It was good because it gave me more time to spend with him and make him happy. And he certainly made me happy. I only wished we could take things to the next step. I’d been working here for months and he’d never made a move. I thought for sure we would finally happen after the movie last night but of course Rose had to go ruining it. Maybe I would have to do it myself.
I exited the movie theater and walked down the cobblestone pathways leading through the amusement park. The place never ceased to amaze me. It was like a little slice of paradise.
All of a sudden I heard a shout. I looked up and saw that Michael was on one of his roller coasters. I watched as the roller coaster zoomed past and soon it came to a stop and he got off.
“What are you doing out here?” I asked.
“Tours are stressful,” he replied. “It’s nice to come out here every now and then and relax.”
“I’m sure it’s more fun when you’ve got someone to ride with,” I said hoping that would be an opening for me to spend some time with him.
“You’re right,” he said looking thoughtful for a moment.
For a second I thought I had missed my chance.
“Would you wanna get on a ride with me?” he asked finally.
“Are you sure? I haven’t nearly finished all of my work yet.”
“What’s life when it’s all work and no play?” he said playfully. “Come on!” he grabbed my hand and led me off to the rides. We got on ride after ride and laughed and had fun. Michael was so sweet when he got in a mood to play around and have fun. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d had so much fun with someone.
After riding all of the rides, he got me some pink cotton candy and then we sat on a bench.
“That was so much fun!” I said. “I can’t remember the last time I’ve had such a good time,” I said.
“You’ve got to take the time to relax sometimes. Everyone needs a little bit of fun in their life. Even when it gets hard.”
“You’re right,” I said inching closer to him.
“It’s like being a kid again, you know? Everyone has a child inside of them.”
“You always know just what to say.”
He looked down at me and my voice caught in my throat at how handsome he was. No doubt, Michael Jackson was perfect. We were meant to be together, I just knew it. The moment was now, I had to make a move.  
“Michael…”
All of a sudden his phone rang.
He pulled it out of his pocket. He sighed. “Hold on a second, it’s my manager.” He stood up as he answered the phone. “Hey Frank.”
I waited impatiently for the phone call to be over. I didn’t get discouraged. It was just a quick call, Michael was a busy man. This was still my moment.
He walked back over to me. “Sorry about that. I have to go for a while. My manager wants to talk over a couple of things for the last of my tour.”
“Oh, okay,” I said trying to hide my disappointment. “When will you be back?”
“Probably not until late, you’ll be gone by the time I get back.”
I couldn’t tell if he was as disappointed as I was or not.
“Well, um, that’s okay. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Yeah, I’ll see you tomorrow.” He held out his hand beckoning for me to stand up. I took it and stood up with a smile. It wasn’t what I wanted but it was something. We walked back to the house together and he quickly went out to the car to leave. Meanwhile I sat on the living room couch wanting to cry.
Maria walked into the room and saw the obviously sad look on my face. “What’s wrong darling?”
I was incredibly disappointed. I was sure that this was the moment I was supposed to ask Michael to be mine. Maybe it really wasn’t my moment, maybe I just had to wait a little bit longer.