- Text Size +

Chapter 9:

Plan A

 

A few days later Liz Taylor came over to the house. I watched as Michael and Jess greeted her warmly at the front door. Clearly she knew Ness pretty well by now and she seemed to approve.

A few hours later they were all sitting around a table in the garden having tea while I was inside folding laundry watching from the window. Michael and Jess sat next to each other. They were very close. One hand was draped across her shoulders and the other was laced in hers. All of the, seemed to be laughing and having a good time. I wished I knew what they were talking about.

Eventually Michael came into the house.

“Where are you going?” I asked curiously.

“I need to go to my mother's house really quick.” He picked up some keys and his wallet off the hallway mantle table. “Liz and Jess are staying here so let them know if you need anything.”

“Okay,” I said trying to hide my disappointment.

He seemed to pick up on it and gave me a warm smile. “Thank you for all the hard work you've been doing. If you want you can have the day off tomorrow.”

“Are you sure?” Any other time I would have been happy, but the thought of spending a day away from him made me sad.

“Of course, you deserve it. See you later, I won't be long.”

I sighed. He was so kind hearted. Actions like that made me wish even more that he was mine.

I took the laundry upstairs and I went to the living room for a break. I flopped on the couch wondering what I was going to do about Jess. She was so kind and sweet, clearly Michael loved her a lot. I had no justifiable reason to hate her other than the fact that she was with Michael. What could I possibly do to get her away from him?

I spotted her phone sitting on the coffee table. I stared at it for a moment as a plan started to formulate in my mind.

I picked up the phone and the first thing I saw was the background photo. Of course it was of her and Michael. The two appeared to be sitting in a tree in the backyard and their arms were around each other while he kissed her cheek.

Seeing the picture made me want to do this even more.

I opened up her messages and began to text Michael.

I'm breaking up with you.

There. Simple and to the point. No questions asked.

But before I pressed send I hesitated. Could I really do this? Could I really break up such a happy relationship? But if I did, all of this could be me, that's what I needed more than anything.

I pressed send.

Less than an hour later Liz and Jess had relocated to the dining room to have lunch. I was in the next room waiting impatiently for Michael to come home. I couldn't believe what I had done. My worst fear was that they would figure out it was me.

All of a sudden the front door opened and Michaels footsteps could be heard running down the hallway.

“Jess why?!” He exclaimed.

I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face.

“Why what?” She said clearly confused.

“Why are you breaking up with me?!” He was very upset. His voice shook when he spoke.

“Honey, what are you talking about? Who said I was breaking up with you?”

“You did!” He said almost hysterically.

“When?”

“Michael sit down dear. What are you talking about?” Liz said.

“You texted me saying you were breaking up with me!” Michael said.

“I...I never sent this,” Jess said.

“It's on your phone baby.”

“Yeah but I never sent this text. My phone is in the living room. I've been with Liz the whole time, she'll tell you.”

“She's right, we've been talking the whole time you were gone,” Liz chimed in.

“Than...who sent me this?” Michael said.

My heart pounded. They were going to find out it was me!

“I don't know Michael. It doesn't matter. I love you. I'm not breaking up with you. I promise.”

“I love you too Jess.”

My plan had failed. It looked like it was time for plan B.