- Text Size +

Chapter 5:

A Sort Of Date

 

The next day i was back at work at Neverland. After seeing the concert last night, all of this seemed so surreal to me.
After the whole experience, I got a clear visual of just how big of a star he was and the fact the I was now in his house felt even more unreal.

As I was coming back inside from the backyard, I heard Michael's voice.

“What do you think I should do?”

I didn't hear a response but he continued to speak after a few seconds.

“I know, I know, I acted like a total wimp yesterday.”

I looked I tot he room and found Michael sitting at a table with Bubbles sitting on the table in front of him. I smiled amused. This wasn't the first time I had walked in on Michael talking to Bubbles. I wondered what he was talking aboit.

“You should have seen her Bubbles, she was beautiful,” he swooned.

I was surprised. I had never heard Michael talk like this before. I wondered if he could possibly be talking about me.

“I don't know what I'll do next time I see her.”

Bubbles cocked his head to the side giving him a duh look.

“Well yeah I should ask her out that if she doesn't like me back?

Bubbles shrugged.

“I know, I know, you never know until you try. I had the perfect opportunity yesterday and I screwed it up. Next time I see her, I’m not going to let her go.”

There wasn't doubt in my mind that he was talking about me. I was overjoyed. I had been right all along. Michael really did like me! He had wanted to ask me out yesterday but he was afraid to. Next time he saw me he would do it. Why not make next time right now?

I casually walked into the room with my feather duster actin like I was doing work.

“Hi Michael, hi Bubbles,” I said as I dusted the bookcase. I tossed my hair for a good measure and made quick eye contact with him.

“Hi Elera. I, glad you came to the show yesterday. Did you have fun?”

“It was incredible!” I said happily. “I've never seen a more amazing performance. Thank you so much for inviting us.”

“It's no problem at all. I want you to be able to have fun.”

I found myself blushing again.”I really appreciate that.” I casually moved closer to him trying to signal to him that I was ready.

“Rose is so cute,” he said.

“She hasn't taken that hat off since you gave it to her.”

He laughed. “I'm glad I could make her happy.”

I leaned against the table letting my hair fall across my shoulders. “What are you doing for the rest of the day?”

“I've been working on some music all day so I'll Mess around with that.”

“You just came off a tour,” I said.

“True but the work never ends.”

He seemed really distracted. I wondered why he hadn't just come out and asked already but maybe he was still shy.

“Well...I'm free for the rest of the day,” I tried.

He looked at me for a moment. I batted my eyelashes for a good measure.

“Well...I just got sent some new movies. They have not been released yet. If you wanna watch one before you go we can have fun.”

I was overjoyed. “I'd love that!”

That evening I touched up my makeup and hair and out on my favorite perfume. After that, I Went out to the movie theater where Michael was sitting in the front row with popcorn and Bubbles sitting next to him. I had wanted it to be just us, but I figured it was just Bubbles so it didn't matter.

“Good, you're here. The previews are about to start. I got you some popcorn.” He handed me the popcorn. I wished we had gotten to share but maybe he didn't think about it. It was okay, I still got to sit next to him win the lights dimmed. As the trailers began, I found myself thinking about where this could go. I pictured us not even watching the movie and heavily making out halfway through it.

The movie turned out to be quite suspenseful and I found myself grilling his hand and his arm tightly.

“Elera, relax, it's just a movie,” he said putting a comforting hand on mine.

I looked up at him and my eyes locked with his. His were so beautiful. I seized the opportunity to try to lean in but before I could Bubbles started trying out climb on his head.

“Bubbles, what the hell?” He let go of me to grab the chimp and out him back in his chair. “Watch the movie buddy.”

I glared at Bubbles and I could have sworn he stuck his tongue out at me.

I looked back at Michael but he was focused intently on the movie and was eating popcorn.

The next thing I knew I opened my eyes and the movie was over. The lights were back on. I felt groggy.

Michael walked towards me. “Hey sleepy head.”

“Did I fall asleep?”

He nodded. “Yeah, you missed the best part of the movie.”

I rubbed my eyes. How could I have been so stupid? I might have ruined the night and missed out on everything I had fantasizes about with him.

“Do you want me to take you home?”

“You'd do that?”

“Of course. It's late and I don't want you driving if you're so tired.” He reached out a hand. “Come on.”

I took his hand and he helped me up. Maybe I hadn't ruined the night after all. Maybe I could at least get a good night kiss.

We pulled up to my house and Michael even walked me to the door. My heart suddenly best fast. This was it. This was that pivotal point where he could kiss me goodnight and that would be the beginning of a perfect relationship.

“Thank you for taking me home,” I said.

“It's no problem at all.”

This was the moment. This was when we were supposed to kiss. I tried to lean towards him again but this time the door opened and Rose was in the doorway.

“Rose!” I exclaimed in frustration. Would the distractions ever end?!

“Why are you back so late? Did you two go on a date?”

“Rose…!” I said, this time feeling embarrassed.

“No, no, we just watched a movie and your sister fell asleep so I drove her home,” Michael replied quickly. I could see that he was blushing too.

Rose raised her eyebrows. “That sounds like a date.”

“Rose…!” I began to scold.

“I'll let you two get inside,” Michael said starting to leave.

“Do you have to go?” I said desperate to pick up the pieces of this disaster date. “Do you want anything to eat or something?”

Michael smiled. “Thank you but I'm fine. I, pretty tired too so I should head on home. See you later Elera.”

I watched with disappointment as Michael went out to his car and then I glared at my little sister. I guess it was going to take another try to get Michael to go out with me for real.