- Text Size +

Chapter Twenty Four


The day I was able to take Michael home to California, was the happiest day of my life; both for me and for him. The six months he had been recovering in Canada had been a long hall, but he managed to make a full recovery and was no longer the skinny skeleton that had been my husband for the last four years. In stead, he had gained so much weight back that I had to go and buy all new clothes for him and make modifications to the clothing he couldn't be parted with. Of course, I did not mind any of it because if it meant I had my healthy husband back then so be it. It was just nice to see him back to the man he was before all of the scandals, planning and plotting started.

This is what I told him when we were packing to leave earlier that day when were discussing our trip to California. He was eager to get back to California, his family, and Neverland but he had also decided that he loved the life we began to build in Canada and knew it would be easier to stay hidden there, so he decided that this trip to Neverland would be a visit. I agreed with him, but neither one of us could help but feel that Neverland was home; after all, that's where it all started.

"It will be so wonderful to be back home with the family." he said happily as he neatly folded his clothes and put them in his suite case.

I smirked, "I'm just happy you're healthy again. But you're right it will be good to be home again." even though I loved being back in Canada where I grew up, I really did miss California and the familiar surroundings that Los Angeles and Neverland provided. Michael knew this and was constantly apologizing for asking me to stay away from my company, my friends and my dad for as long as I had.

"Nicole, I really am sorry for asking you to leave all of that behind." Michael said with the uncanny ability to read my mind that he had developed while being here.

I just smiled at him because I was not mad at him for making me leave Los Angeles, I would rather have done that than lose him. Thinking about the idea of losing him caused a tear to escape from my eye. Michael saw this and came over to my side of the bed, "Hey, what's wrong?" he asked as he brushed the tear away from my eye.

The truth was, nothing was wrong, I was happier than I had been in a very long time. He was healthy and our little family was all back together, "Nothing Michael. You've just filled me with so much joy I can't contain it anymore."

Michael was just about to respond when we heard a knock at our door, it was Stephanie, "Momma, grandpa is here."

"Alright sweetheart. We'll be right there." and she scampered away.

Michael then picked up both our suite cases, took my hand and happily said, "Let's go home."

The entire journey back to California, I could tell that he was very excited to be back in his normal surroundings as he was always sitting on the edge of his chair and when he could, he would get up and pace. When he would do this, he always reminded me of a little gnome and this time was no different, "Michael, your pacing is not going to make the trip come to an end any faster." I laughed.

He sat back down beside me, "I know but I'm excited."

Then to add to his excitement, the pilot announced over the intercom that we would be making our final ascent into the Los Angeles air strip, "Please fasten your seat belts until we have landed."

Once the plane had landed and we were able to unbuckle our seat belts, Michael quickly picked up Stephanie, I picked up Blanket while the other children followed behind us. Michael took my hand and we walked to the black car that Jermaine had sent to pick us up. To Michael's surprise, Katherine was waiting inside the car, "Mother!" Michael exclaimed as he gave Stephanie to Prince and clammered into the car and took the elderly women into a very affectionate hug.

"Oh my boy!" she cried as she held on tightly to him.

Stephanie shyly huddled into Prince's side at the display of affection because she had never seen Michael that excited before, nor had she seen Katherine since she was a baby. He put his arm around her, "Don't worry Steph. Daddy is just hugging his mom."

Stephanie was soon to see more of his affectionate attitude because when we pulled up to the Ranch gates, we found that Janet, Latoya, Marlon, Tito, Jackie, Rebbie, Jermaine, Randy and Joe were all there to greet us. He couldn't contain his excitement any longer and just bounced out of the car and ran to greet his family. Katherine, Stephanie, Prince, Paris, Blanket and I were soon to follow but soon the children ran up ahead to greet their aunts and uncles.

Michael then put his arm around me happily, "This is the best day of my life."

"Welcome home." I said before he kissed me tenderly and we walked up the front walk hand in hand up the front walk way with our children all around us.

***********************************************************************
"So did anyone ever find out who grand dad was?" Aurora asked clearly still realing from the incredible story.

People had speculated for years that Michael had faked his death and was hiding somewhere but thankfully no one had linked him to Joseph M. Peacocke until after his death and by then, it was too late to do anything, "Not until after he died. But like most news stories, interest was lost after a month when they realized that the only one who could give any information was me and your uncle Prince and your Aunt Paris, and none of us were about to tell your grandfather's story so they could trash his name again."

Aurora didn't say anything for a long while before she told me she wished she had known, "It would have made being diagnosed with vitiligo a lot easier." she then flipped on to her side and thanked me telling the story, "Thank you for telling me about grand dad. It must not have been easy living a double life and carrying his secret."

It wasn't easy, but I knew that's what Michael wanted, "No, it wasn't easy. But at the same time, it was almost easier once he became Joseph M. Peacocke. We were able to raise our family without being in the spotlight " but I knew he wouldn't want her thinking of him as anything except the man she had grown up knowing as her grandfather, "But Aurora, I don't want what I just told you to change your memory of your grandfather. As I said, Michael Jackson was someone he was a very long time ago. Please just remember him as the kind and compassionate man he was and not the star that he used to be."

Aurora smiled contently, "Black or white. Singer or common man. He was still my grandfather and that will never change.