- Text Size +

~Michael's P.O.V.~

"Michael, wake up!" Janet says, hitting me with a pillow. I was sleeping good. Really good, actually. But as always, my stupid sister always gotta ruin whatever I'm doing. But hey, we're twins. Identical twins at that. Sometimes I hate it, and sometimes I love it. But right about now, I'm hating it.

"Dang it Jan... Just a couple more minutes, please?" I whine, snatching the pillow away from her, and putting it under my head. But what does she do? She takes my cover off of me, leaving me shivering in the cold.

"Nope!" Janet says. "Mother says that we have to get up early for the first day of school, so we can catch the bus on time."

"I thought we were riding with Dick and them?"

Y'all probably wonderin' what I meant by "Dick and them", right? Well, Dick and them, is squad, and they consist of Dick, Imani, Genesis, me, and Jan. Has been squad since seventh grade, and forever will be squad.

"Oh yeah, I forgot! But regardless, Mother said get up now, or she has a surprise for ya." She slaps my thigh, and then skips out of my room, as if she didn't have a care in the world. I just don't get her sometimes. As I swing my legs over my bed, I get a text. A Kik to be specific. In me and friends' little group, KrispyKremeGang101<3 (That was nobody but Imani or Genesis who came up with this group name. They eat, sleep, and breathe this restaurant.), ThaFirstNoël (Genesis), stricklydickly (Dick) and poecticallyjustified (Janet) Kiked me. The conversation went like this:

@6:45 - poecticallyjustified: Mike get up!

@6:47 - poecticallyjustified: Boy, I know your @$$ heard me. Get. UP!

@6:51 - stricklydickly: Dang Jan! A ni*ga can't never get no sleep without you screaming at somebody. Mike, get up, so she can stop screaming.

@6:57 -  ThaFirstNoël: C'mon people, it's the first day of school! We need to rise and shine, and look our best for today! We surly want to make a fashion statement on the first day, right?

@6:59 - stricklydickly: Bruh, that ain't nobody but you wit yo booshie azz trying to look better than everybody else.

@7:01 - poecticallyjustified: I have to agree with Dick on this one, G.

@7:02 - ThaFirstNoël: Both of y'all stfu.

And YaMainBishMani (Imani) just responded.

@7:09 - YaMainBishMani: Everybody, just wake up! Y'all blowing up my phone. .___.

I've had enough, so I kik everybody back.

@7:11 - Mike-on-FLEEK: I'M UP!!!!!!! So chillax, I mean dang!

Genesis responds with an emoji.

@7:11 - ThaFirstNoël: (-.-)z

I stop kiking everybody, and then get ready for school. After taking a quick shower, I put on my pink polo, True Religion jeans, and my Jordans that I got for my birthday. Jogging out of my room, I make my way to the kitchen, where I find Mother making breakfast. "Hey Mother," I say, sitting down at the table. "Good morning Michael!" she replies back.

I love my mom. I really do. Besides the love of my life (if I had one), my sister, and my friends, I would die for her. One of the best people you'll ever meet in your entire life. Best is an understatement, though. She's more than that, but I don't exactly know how to put it in words. That's how great she is. She puts a plate food in front me, and another plate in a seat across from me, which I'm guessing is supposed to be Janet's seat. "This smells so good. Did you put cinnamon in this?" I ask, referring to the perfectly shaped pancakes in front of me.

"Yes sir. Michael honey, have you seen Janet?" Before I was able to respond, Janet sat down right in front of me. She had her hair up in a bun, and she was wearing a dress. "Well, you actually look nice today." I say, giving her a half-of-a-compliment. She sarcastically smiles at me, and says good morning to Mother. After about 5 minutes of eating, Dick's car pulls up at our house.

"Mother, that's our ride!" Janet says, as we grab our bookbags. "Alright honey, have a good day at school! Love you guys!" "Love you too!"

~Janet's P.O.V.~

"Mani!" I exclaim as I open my arms to hug Imani, one of my best friends. "Hey girl!" She replies back.  I look over at Genesis, who's playing with her iPod. "Um, G, I know dang well that you see me." She looks up at me then back to her device. "Oh now you see me?" "Uh-uh, don't be like that. You know I got some love for you too Genesis." I give her a tight hug. Mike is in the front seat, talking to Dick. "HEY DICK!" I say, trying to get his attention. "HEY JANET!" He yells right back. We all laugh.

"Yo, who's ready for the tenth grade?!" Mike asks everyone. Everybody, except Imani, starts hootin' and hollerin'. "Girl, what's wrong with you? You ain't excited?" I ask her.

"No." She says. "I mean, I am excited, no doubt. But I'm not getting super excited over it. Now if you want me to be like, super excited, call me in another two years."

I look over, and Genesis starts smiling super wide all of a sudden. "Why are you smiling? Did you win the lottery or something?" I ask her. Genesis kisses her teeth. "Hush little girl. I just realized that my bae is coming to our school today!" She starts dancing in her seat. "Bae? Oh you mean the one you met on Facebook two years ago, and met him, like, once,  here in America?" Dick asks. "Bruh..." Michael says.

Genesis smacks him upside his head. "See, this is the main reason I called you Dick when I first met you."

"Whatever, man. But I do know one thing." Dick breaks into his British accent "The bloody knobhead better stay at least  100 feet away from me."

"What in the world is a knobhead?" Imani asks, opening up a stick of gum and popping it in her mouth.

"Yeah, Dick, what is that?" I ask him. "A knobhead is an idiotic person, and is generally classified as a dickhead­­­­­­­." Michael explains.

Genesis snickers. "So wait..." She starts laughing. "This whole time... you was trying to insult Dwayne... and you was talking about yourself?!" I try to keep my laugh in, cause that's my friend she's throwing shade at. But Genesis shade is funny as heck sometimes.

"I detected a little bit of shade... I did." Imani says. Michael doesn't say anything at all. He just smiles to himself, and shakes his head.

"I don't know what to do with the two of y'all..." I say. "But I really can't wait to meet him."

Genesis lights up. "Oh you are going to love him! He's the sweetest, funniest, kindest, not to mention FINEST brotha, you'll ever meet."

"I thought he was mixed, Gen." I say. "Oh he is, but in my opinion, if you're mixed with even just a little bit of black, you're considered a brotha or a sistah. Like me. I'm mixed too, but my daddy is black, so I'm black too."

"You don't claim your Brazilian side?" Michael asks. "I do. But like, my Brazilian side is a tad bit darker than white, so you know... They're black too."

We finally pull up at the school. It's a big school, and fairly new, considering that it was built in 2006. I'm personally glad that we were sent to Woodland County, instead of that other school, St. Mitchells Academy. That school was built in like, 1823 or something like that. That was two centuries ago. I don't trust that school. Ghosts and stuff might be flying around there and what not. Uh-uh. Janet doesn't roll like that. I will take Woodland County High for 200, Alex.

Parking in the student lot, Dick and Michael get out, and open up our doors for us to get out. I'm going to be honest, I really didn't realize what everybody had on until we all got out of the van. Dick basically has on the same thing Michael does. Imani is wearing a blue plaid shirt, shorts, and Chuck Taylors. Genesis has on an aqua-blue tank, bright white skinny jeans, and some wedges.

"Y'all ready to go in?" I ask. "I know I am. Ms. Nixon is gonna be my math teacher. With her gorgeous self... Heck yeah I'ma study every night." Michael says.

"And you're gonna fail every test too, Mike." I say, making Imani laugh, and him side eye me.

"I hate you." He declares.

Chapter End Notes:

I know, this one sucked. A lot. So will the next couple of chapters. But I promise that they will get better.