- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

"Home is where our story begins..."

-Unknown

Skeeter

            I just couldn't believe it.

            I'd been crushing on him since middle school. I never even shared direct I contact with him. Okay, maybe once, it was in the second year of middle school. Seventh grade I believe? I remember it like it was yesterday.

            Flashback:

            My best friend, Bella and I were looking for a place to sit at lunch. All the tables were full of cliques formed as early as last year, and we weren't in the mood for a crowd. Bella finally spots a not so crowded place.

            "Hey, let's sit over there with Michael" she suggests, obviously implying my crush on him.

            "Bella, stop it!"

            "Don't tell me you're afraid of your qualified lover!" she says.

            "I'm not, I swear! I just think he needs a little space, I mean you saw the city's newspaper article!"  She lifts her eyebrow.

            "Of course you'd read that old thing." I roll my eyes.

            "I am an aspiring reporter you know." Bella just sighs and gives me an annoyed look. She pulls at my arm, balancing her Styrofoam tray, towards Michael's table. I don't try resisting, or else I wouldn't hear the end of it.

            "Hey Michael! You've met my friend Skeeter?" she asks, settling herself one seat away from Michael, secretly urging me to fill the gap. So, I sit, to be polite of course.

            "Hi, Skeeter, it's nice to, uh meet you." He says this nervously, anticipating something. He was right to do so because my best-est of best friends came over to sit with us, Grant Mackentire.

            "Hey Ski-Ski, Bella, Jackson, how are you?" he asks, sitting down, Michael tenses up, now indulged on eating the school's mush.

            "Great, we're all great!" Bella responds, also extremely uncomfortable with the situation. She knows how ticked at Grant I was.

            "How doin' over there Jackson?" he asks with an amused grin. Michael blinks twice at him.

            "Oh, cut the crap Grant!" I say rather loudly, catching everyone's attention. I sink in my chair and give Michael a small smile. He gives me one back.

            End of Flashback.

            I'll always remember that day. He was scared, that Michael, and I'll always wonder why.

            I don't have much more time to think though, because my older sister, Katie, pulls up her car.

            "What's up buttercup? Did you have a good day?" she asks once I settle in the car.

            "It was alright." She nods getting the hint that I don't feel like talking. We come home to a note:

            Went to work, will be home by five.

            -Mom

            I laugh. We already know her work schedule, but she always leaves a note. Plus, she got home before I did.

            "Hey Mama" I say running into my mom's arms.

            "Hey Skittles how was your day?"

            "Good, and please stop calling me that." She rolls her eyes in amusement.

            "Girl please." I laugh at my mom's attempt at ‘urban talk'. We all sit down to dinner, aka interrogation time, for me at least.

            "Anything interesting happen today Skeeter?" Mother asks subtlety.

            "Not really."

            "You sure?"

            "Yup." She raises an eyebrow at me.

            "Well actually, this kid named Michael joined my staff." Mother giggles at my choice of words.

            "May I ask his last name?"

            "It's the newspaper kid Mom." Mother shakes her head in amusement.

            "I should've seen that comin'. You've liked that boy forever." Yes, I told her about my crush, because that's just our relationship.

            "He's our new photographer. You should see his work Mom! There almost as good as his paintings!" She chuckles a bit, now collecting our plates.

            "Okay then, now which one of you is doin' the dishes?" I smirk at Katie, who sticks out her tongue in response. I roll my eyes.

            I've got tons of homework from AP classes, but I can handle it. I open up my trigonometry textbook and look at the first problem.

            I immediately give up. There is no way I'll get this assignment done without help, so I'll just go in early and see my instructor.

            Since I don't have to start my essay tonight for Language Arts, I go on Instagram.

            I actually learned a few things on there. For starters, I've already met two future stars, in statistics, when the beat drops people faint, and Beyoncé dropped a surprise album. You're off for a week and you miss so much.

 

            That night I think. What if letting Michael on the staff was a bad idea? The staff is practically a clique, a very flexible one. We keep to ourselves, and people keep away. But Michael might disturb that peace.

I smile slowly creeps on my face. I'm a reporter; I live for news and breakthroughs. Wouldn't be cool to report the biggest breakthrough of the year? Wouldn't be cool to be the reason for the biggest breakthrough this year? I think it would. Besides I care about Michael and would love to see him happy again. Last time I saw pure joy in his eyes was when he was what, like six?

I can feel myself getting groggy, so I put on my iTouch. The last thing I here is my girl Alicia Keys singing ‘Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart'.

 Even if you were a million miles away
I could still feel you in my bed
Near me, touch me, feel me
And even at the bottom of the sea
I could still hear inside my head
Tellin' me, touch me, feel me

And all the time you were tellin' me lies

So tonight, I'm gonna find a way to make it without you
Tonight I'm gonna find a way to make it without you
I'm gonna hold on to the times that we had tonight
I'm gonna find a way to make it without you

Have you ever tried sleeping with a broken heart?
Well, you could try sleeping in my bed

Lonely, own me nobody ever shut it down like you
You wore the crown
You made my body feel heaven bound
Why don't you hold me
Need me, I thought you told me
You'd never leave me

Looking in the sky I could see your face
And I know right where I fit in
Take me, make me, you know that I'll always be in love
With you
Right til the end Oh

So tonight, I'm gonna find a way to make it without you
Tonight I'm gonna find a way to make it without you
I'm gonna hold on to the times that we had tonight
I'm gonna find a way to make it without you

Anybody could've told you right from the start
It's bout to fall apart
So rather than hold onto a broken dream
I'll just hold on to love

And I could find a way to make it
Don't hold on too tight
I'll make it without you tonight

So tonight, I'm gonna find a way to make it without you
Tonight I'm gonna find a way to make it without you
I'm gonna hold onto the times we had tonight
I'm gonna find a way to make it without you

 

                                                                                                                                                                                  

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I Got a visual idea for Skeeter in the reviews!

I'd love some more!!