- Text Size +

A young woman was sitting in her cubicle and ready to face a dead-end job at the office. She puts her thick framed glasses on and started her computer as she untangled the cord to headset.  What a tedious job and life. She sighed, then her first phone call starts ring…”Good morning, this is Jess  at  IT corporation. How may I help you this morning?” I asked.  “I  see..” I answered as the woman told me what her name was and I quickly plugged the information into the computer. “Well, I see that you have a Pentium 3 processor, is that correct?”

The morning went like that until my lunch break came at noon, and I got up from my desk and headed to the break room.

“HEY!” I called, upon seeing some co-workers in said break room. Only the coolest people that I worked with were huddling around their salads as I put change into the Vending machine, pressing E13 and awaited the delivery of my Cheetos.

I walked to the table where Stephanie, Lauren, and Tony sat, only to find them packing up their lunches as I pulled out my chair.

“Hey, guys, where’re you going?” I asked.

“Oh, Jess. Umm..we took our lunch early today,” Stephanie said before continuing her packing up.

“Oh..okay. Well, hey, you guys want to go to that club downtown tonight?” I asked, smiling up at them as I pushed my glasses higher on my nose.

“Gee, we’re all kinda busy,” Tony told me. “I don’t think we’ll be able to make it. But, hey, if we do, we’ll give you a call.”

“Allright!” I beamed. It wasn’t everyday that I got to hang out with the coolest people I knew! “Just be sure to tell me the right time this time. Cuz last time you told me eleven, and then when I got there, you guys were leaving,” I laughed. “How dumb did you feel?”

“Pretty dumb,” Lauren said.

“Bye, guys!” I waved and fought the urge to hug them.

I sighed as I sat back down at the now empty table and ate my cheetos with a smile on my face. Man, those guys were so nice!

The work day ended and I went home to my apartment for a little while, first taking the time to make some mac and cheese, then to dust my collection of first edition books that I kept on a bookshelf in my living room once again. After all, we can’t let the classics gather dust, even if it had just been a few hours since I last cleaned it.

After approving of my job, I felt good enough to get ready and head to club. Now, the gang never called me saying if they’d be there or not, but I wanted to go anyway. I could always get my groove on by myself. I mean, tripping and falling is kinda like dancing…right?