- Text Size +
Chapter 14
Petals That Blossom

Just as promised, Lorna was ready to go for eleven. She walked down the stairs and gave the children a hug. She was surprised that the children weren’t upset that she wasn’t going to be with them for the day, but then again, Lorna really wasn’t getting out much and she knew she should. But at the same time, she was a little frightened the public would see her leave the property and follow her and that was something she did not want. She knew being with Michael Jackson; she was going to have to get over her phobia of the media. But she first wanted to be sure what she would say when she came face to face with them. She already had bad reviews about them.

After giving Paris a hug, her being the last, Lorna continued to head outside where the limo was waiting for her. She was slightly nervous as she saw the big vehicle. A gentle hand rest upon her shoulder causing her to slightly jump.

She turned to see a soft smiling face looking at her. “Your first limo ride,” he said. “May it be an enjoyable one.”

She slightly nodded. “Why a limo though?”

“Why not?” he asked. “Besides, as I said. This way we can all fit in one vehicle and my fans won’t really know it’s me. They know my cars really well, expect for the limo. And there is currently no fans around the gate.”

He took her hand and gave a gentle pull towards the car, where one of the security guards opened the door for them to allow them to get in. It was a spacious stretch limo, with the other security guards sitting closest to the front. When Lorna and Michael were in and seatbelt, the last security guard climbed into the front seat and they began their drive.

They were just beyond the gate, when Lorna felt her mouth go dry suddenly. She was really nervous being in a limo. It was a dream come true, something like out of a fantasy. Though she wasn’t dressed for the part as she was just dressed in jeans and sweater she was like living the part; big mansion, servants and limo. Michael was also dressed in jeans, which was very common for him. He was also wearing his fedora hat and sunglasses.

“I’m thirsty,” she announced.

Michael reached over to the cooler, which was on his side and pulled out a bottle of apple juice for her, which happened to be her favorite juice. He also pulled out a bottle of mineral water for himself. He handed Lorna her drink. Lorna accepted the bottle with a smile. She didn’t know what to say.

Lorna watched out the window as they drove. She noticed they were driving out of the city. “Where are we going?” she asked.

“Someplace nice and quiet,” Michael replied. “It will take us nearly an hour to get there, but it’s isolated and I’m sure we will be well hidden from public.”

Lorna nodded her understanding. He wasn’t going to exactly tell her. She continued to watch out the window as he reached over and clasped her hand. The security guards watched as their employer watched his friend. They knew what was going on and they did not need Mr. Jackson to tell them either. They could see the signs like nearly everyone else. They were actually happy that their employer was interested in someone again.

Once the limo was out of the city, it took about 15 minutes to pull off the highway towards a long old road. Lorna, then saw the trees. She sat further up in her seat and continued to stare out the window. She didn’t even pay attention as the limo pulled into another road and drove for about another 10 minutes before finally stopping.

On reflex, she opened her door and stepped out. One of the security guards was about to stop her when Michael held up his hand preventing them from assisting her. Michael wanted her to feel welcomed at the seclude spot. The security guard from the front opened Michael’s door and allowed the man out with an umbrella to stand under right away. Michael grabbed the umbrella as another guard stepped out with the picnic basket and blankets.

Michael held out his hand for the basket to be hooked on his arm before walking on the other side to Lorna. “Nice, isn’t it?” he asked.

She looked at him. “It’s like I’m back in Canada again. Green terrain, trees. I was raised in the country. And it doesn’t even feel like February either. It looks like a spring day.”

She saw him offer his arm that held the umbrella. She linked his arm with his and began to walk in the field. Two security guards followed behind, carrying blankets and two chairs. The others remained at the limo watching from a distance. Being out in the country, they would have ample time to get to their employer if they needed to.

The couple continued to walk until they reached a tree. Lorna turned and could see the limo. So they didn’t travel too far. She turned back to see Michael setting down the picnic basket. His two security guards took a hold of the umbrella before adding an extension to it, having it go to the ground and be supported at the bottom. Once the umbrella was set up, the two security guards unfolded the chairs and then left the couple alone.

“Aren’t you suppose to have them around at all times?” she asked.

“I do,” he said as he kneeled down and started to set up the picnic with the blanket and food. He then set the two chairs and placed a blanket on each chair.

Lorna was in total awe at him as he set things up. He was so down to Earth; he knew many of the simple things though he was filthy rich. Well maybe not so filthy anymore since the 2005 trial, but he was still wealthy enough to call himself rich, although his current staff was only five normal employees plus his security guards.

Once everything was all set, he stood up and clasped her hand. “Our lunch is now ready.”

The two then sat down and began to eat their lunch, which were their favorite lunch meals. They both had a sandwich with some cold salad. For dessert, Michael had a piece of carrot cake while Lorna opt for some chocolate cake. Chocolate was her favorite sweet. Of course most women loved chocolate.

“That was delicious,” Lorna said as she sat back, stretching her legs and leaned on her arms. “This is so nice.” Before getting to their location, Michael offered Lorna a set of sunglasses and a hat to block the sun from her. She happily accepted it since she knew they were going to be in the sun.

“I found this place yesterday,” he commented as he looked around. “It sort of reminds me when I first bought the property Neverland was on.”

“I’m sorry you had to give up your fantasy escape,” she said. “I wish it wasn’t destroyed.”

“Me too.” He turned to look at her. “But I will never go back there. And I have learned to accept that.”

“I wish I had half the money as you,” she said suddenly. “I’ve always had to struggle with money. Growing up was tough at times.”

“Can you tell me about it?” he asked. He was very intrigued in her past. “That is if it’s alright.”

“I don’t fear nor do I regret my past. I don’t mind talking about it. We lived out in the country, with a big yard and a lot of trees. We took a bus to school everyday. Some days were good and other days…well let’s just say it was tough.”

“How tough?” he asked.

“Well when I was really young, I don’t even remember, I’ve only heard the stories from my brothers. But we lived in such poor conditions, we kept getting infest with mice. That was gruesome.”

Michael gave a sour face at the thought but he remained silent.

“And my first year of school was not so good as we did not have good clothes. But somehow when I started Grade two, things started to change. I had received my first brand new bookbag and lunchbox. We all did actually. We were able to finally get our house fumigated and were actually able to build onto the house. Not sure how that happened. My dad must have gotten a better job than what he had. Whatever that other was? We started to live better with better conditions and I was able to have some friends at last.”

“Well that’s nice to hear. I once lived in a small house and being in a family of nine kids and parents, in a two bedroom house, that was tough,” Michael said.

“Yeah but that changed for you after the Jackson Five started,” Lorna said. “My family struggled. For a couple months, we had it rough and then another couple months it ran smoothly. It was like that all the way up until I was 16 when we moved to Vegas. I still don’t know why we moved there. I do know my father started to make more money and I was able to complete high school and even move off to college and attend a university in Vegas.”

“That’s something I never experienced,” he mused.

Lorna chuckled. “What would a famous pop singer be able to do in college or university for that matter when he was already popular as he was a child star? I highly doubted that was needed. You make more money in one month than I do in three years.”

“What made you move to the strip?” he asked, getting the subject back on hand.

“Well as you know my Dad died when I was 18, shortly after I started college. I had to get a job. We moved closer to the college and my job so I could attend both. We lived together until my Mom died and when she did, I took what was left of the money and moved into a bachelor apartment, across the street of where I worked, which was a very popular one too. It wasn’t a grand hotel but it was always busy. With rift raft, druggies, hookers and people who just wanted a room to have hot sex. I hated it.”

“I’m sorry you had to go through that,” he said. “Why do people have to advertise sex like it was like…”

“A drink,” Lorna finished for him. She sat up. “I know. It’s stupid. It should be treated with more respect than that. It sometimes sickens me. Not to mention my failed relationships. I can’t believe good-looking faces that just wanted my body for a night, fooled me. And then they would call me ugly. Good for sex but that’s about it. They would even say…” tears welled up in her eyes. “I should work the strip.”

Michael felt her sadness. He grasped her hand again, and scooted closer to her but remained under the umbrella. “I’m sorry you had to go through that.”

Lorna leaned her head against his chest as tears fell from her eyes. “I just wish I could find someone who won’t treat me like a tool or a piece of meat that can be thrown away.”

“I would never treat you like that,” he said warmly with a gentle voice.

“I just wish I could find someone to love me for who I am,” she continued quietly. “Not because I’m a female that has a chest. Why do people treat women like that?”

Michael held her close. “I don’t know,” he admitted. “I find it’s disgusting. Women are as equal to men.”

The two were quiet for a few minutes while Lorna listened to the rhythm of Michael’s heart. He was so kind hearted. And the more she was with him the more she wanted to tell him her feelings, but how to bring the topic up? Unknown to Lorna, Michael thought the same thing.

“Lorna,” he said finally. “How would you feel if you met someone who did care for you the way you want him to?”

“I’m not sure,” she answered. “I guess it would depend if I share his feelings. How would you feel if you met someone who wanted to be with you romantically? You’ve had some failed relationships.”

“If I was to be with someone special, I would want her to accept my fame but also love me for me.” He brought his fingers to hook under her chin and lifted it up so he could see her. He removed his sunglasses and hers so he could see directly in her eyes.

“Yeah, it probably would be best for her to accept your screaming fans and flashing cameras at every angle.” She watched him nod.

As he looked at her, he couldn’t hold it in any longer. He had to tell her and tell her now. “Lorna, I need to talk to you and it’s important.”

Her heart started to thump in her chest at his serious tone. She was afraid to know. What if he didn’t like her the way she liked him? She couldn’t take that rejection.

“Ever since you fell at my doorstep, you have changed my life and it’s heading into a direction I don’t want it to stop,” he started. He saw that she was about to speak, but he covered her lips with a finger. “Let me finish. I feel I can tell you everything. There are things I’ve told you that I’ve never told Liz or even my own mother.

“Being around you I feel like taking on the world again. I feel as if what happened to me a few years ago was just a bad nightmare and I just woke up. If it weren’t for the fact I’m not at Neverland, I would think of it as a dream. But I know it wasn’t. I love being around you.”

What was he saying? Was he telling her he liked her? She looked into his deep brown eyes and all she could see was his deep pools that glittered from the sunlight. “What are you saying?” she asked, voice trembling.

His fingers crawled up her face to cup her cheek. His other hand raised up to cup the other cheek. He wasn’t going to back down. He feared rejection but he was remembering what Liz told him that she doubted the woman would rejection him.

“Lorna…” he whispered. “You are an amazing woman and you’re someone I want to remain in my life. I have…”

Her face began to heat up and her heart was thumping so fast, she thought it would bust out of her chest. She felt like crying but also felt like bolting. But she also wanted to let him know that she liked him…no she loved him. She had fallen for him.

He took a deep breath as his voice hitched in his throat. “I have fallen for you,” he finally breathed out.

She took a gasp of breath. Did she just hear right. She went to move her lips but no sound came out. She was trembling so badly, she knew he could feel it through his hands.

“I can’t live without you,” he whispered. “I want you in my life. I can’t take it any longer.”

He stared at her, fear in his eyes, as she was silent. She saw the fear. He feared she would reject him. “Michael,” she breathed in a whisper. “I…I don’t want to leave you either. I want…to be…with you.” There was room for explanations later. But right now with his confession, she couldn’t explain hers, but to go straight to the point.

His heart began to beat faster than it already was. She wasn’t rejecting him. She wanted him. He leaned forward, closing his eyes. She saw that he was closing in. She knew what he was about to do and she wasn’t going to stop it. A sudden tingle touched her lips as she felt a feather touch from his. Her eyes closed at the tingle.

For a few moments, he allowed his lips to give her feather light kisses, giving her time to get used to him. Her hands came up and wrapped around his upper arms as he continued to give her butterfly kisses. She felt like fainting, but she didn’t want the precious moment to be broken.

After several feather touches, he pressed his lips a little harder against hers, lightly sealing their lips together. His heart was overwhelmed with love as he kissed her. Everything around them was forgotten. They both forgot they were in a meadow, being watched by the security guards at the limo. Not even the picnic around them was on their minds as they slowly kissed. His hands found their way from her cheeks into her hair and round her neck. Hers left his arms to wrap around his ribcage to his back.

Before long he released her lips and slid his lips across one side of her cheek to rest near her ear. Both remained with their eyes closed.

“I love you, Lorna,” he breathed into her ear.

“I love you too,” she breathed back. She forced his lips back onto hers where the kiss went deeper than before. He was a little surprised when he felt her tongue touch his lips and he could not resist as he allowed the invitation where then the two began a slow duel.

She could not believe she was kissing a 50-year-old man but she didn’t really care either. All she cared about was his arms around her.

Finally the need to breath slammed into both of them. He pulled away and stared into her eyes. His fingers brushed her hair from her face.

“What is your full name?” he finally asked.

“Lorna Angel McCall,” she answered still breathless.

“That’s a pretty name. My little angel,” he smiled. “I had a fallen angel at my doorstep. But now her wings have been mended.”

Tears came to her eyes again, this time in happiness. “And those wings were mended by a knight in shining armor.”

He lightly brushed her tears. “I have been wanting to tell you since last week.”

“On Valentine’s Day,” she started. “That dinner…”

“Honestly, I do not know what possessed me to nearly kiss you, but I wanted to so bad and ever since then too,” he openly admitted. “And now I have. But perhaps it might be best to keep this between the two of us for now. I’m not sure how the children would feel about this.”

Lorna nodded and then remembered her conversation she had with Katherine about her knowing about the custody battle. “I’m here for you,” she said. He gave a perplex look. “Michael, I know about your custody battle with Debbie Rowe. I want to help you.”

Michael sighed. “That wouldn’t be right for you to help me in a problem that doesn’t pertain to you.”

“Yes it would,” she argued. “If she wins the children, I wouldn’t see them again. Paris and Prince don’t even know who their mother is. I’m just saying I’m here for you, if need me. Don’t feel afraid to ask me for help. So what I’ve never been a mother and probably never will have any of my own, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know the system.”

He pulled her close against him, wrapping his arms completely around her. She raised her arms to rest against his chest, listening to his heartbeat. She wasn’t leaning against him long before he began to quietly sing to her. It took her several seconds to realize until he came to the chorus, singing the words. ‘I just can’t stop loving you’. It was one of his songs.

Oh how the words fit so perfectly at that moment. She remained quiet and still, listening to him singing to her. When his singing trailed off to a comfortable silence, she decided to slightly move and look at him.

“I love that song,” she replied quietly.

He looked lovingly at her. “The song has been playing in my mind for the past couple days and it just seemed right to vocalize it.”

“It was more than right,” she answered with a soft smile. “For once in my life, something went right for me. I found a wonderful man and I didn’t have to look for him. I fell into his lap.” She snuggled into him further, not wanting to let him go.

As he sat, he could feel his back wanting to give him hassle. He knew he was going to have to soon move to the chair that was set up. He kissed her head. “How about we sit in the chairs and I’ll read you something.”

She sat up and looked at him straight in the face. “You read to me? Read what?”

Michael reached over into the basket with one hand and pulled out a book. Lorna’s eyes widened in surprise. It was her favorite book, which she hadn’t seen in a few years. “Where did you get that?” she asked.

He smirked. “I have my sources,” he answered. “Though my source is someone you know very well.”

“Paris,” Lorna gasped. “Little sneak. She told you that book is my favorite book.”

Michael nodded as he handed her the book so she could look at it. Lorna studied the book. It was the same book as the one she read before, but this copy was a hard cover with embroidery lettering. She could tell the book was little expensive. It was Cinderella, but not the Disney version. More of an adult version but did have the same end result as the Disney version.

That book so now worked into her life. She basically just lived a Cinderella life. Going from a life of struggles to finding her Prince. Except her Prince just happened to be an amazing singer and dancer. Michael slowly stood, before taking Lorna’s hand and pulling her to her feet. He then stepped over to his chair. He released her hand as he sat down. She turned and picked up their drinks before taking her chair and putting it closer to him.

She sat in her chair, as he took his drink and the book. She then twisted herself to sit sideways in the chair, so her legs dangled over one of the arms. She draped her head over the other side and rested it against Michael’s lap. He softly smiled down at her, before gently brushing her fingers over her bangs. He covered his eyes with his sunglasses again before opening the book and began to softly read to her.

As Lorna listened to his voice speak out her favorite story, her mind traveled on when she began to love him. It actually began when he took her out shopping that day on Valentine’s Day. And even though the other day when he tickled her and even caught her dancing like an idiot, she still found it exciting. She loved the idea of spending time with him even it did embarrass her.

For a couple hours, she listened to him. During that time, the two, both curled up with the extra blankets and just relaxed. When Michael finally stopped, he looked down at her again.

“I’ll read more later,” he announced. “Are you ready to head for home?”

She looked at him as he brushed her bangs again, occasionally gently stroking her cheek. “I’m enjoying this too much,” she said. “I don’t want to go back to reality.”

“Neither do I, but I do have responsibilities, waiting for me at home. Namely three children.”

Lorna pouted and then sat up, dropping the blanket on the floor. She went to stand, but he suddenly grabbed her hand and pulled her to him, forcing her to fall into his lap. “Don’t you dare think about cleaning.”

She gave a startled gasp as he pulled her. She was not expecting to sit in his lap. Her arms though, instinctively went around his neck. “I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“You are not going to clean up ‘my’ mess,” he stated firmly. His arms found their way around her waist, holding her in place. “If anything, we’ll take a walk and let my guards take care of it.”

“Michael,” she started, but she didn’t get far as he leaned forward and planted his lips on hers. Whatever she was going to say was forgotten as he kissed her. Her hands found their way into his hair, combing through his silk strands.

The two kissed for a few moments before pulling away. He had let her go so she could stand and when she stood, he stood. Both standing, he then instructed to Lorna how to help disable the extension to the umbrella. Once it was off the extension, he took the umbrella in one hand and then took Lorna’s in the other and started to walk away.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see his guards scramble out of the car. Two headed towards the picnic while the others followed him, but kept their distance. For about thirty minutes the two walked hand in hand, enjoying the weather and peacefulness, before turning back and headed to the car. Once in the car, Lorna snuggled against Michael as he wrapped an arm around her.