- Text Size +
Chapter 11
Blanket's Birthday

Waking up to an alarm was something she was no longer used to. But today was the day of Blanket’s birthday and she wanted to get an early start and help Kai and Debbie get ready for it. Blanket was going to be a surprise birthday party, since he’s never had one. Everything was going to start out normal like any other morning, but after breakfast, Michael was going to take his kids out shopping and that was going to leave the hired help and Lorna to decorate the house. The family who were coming was going to arrive after Michael would leave. Though Janet insisted on coming first thing in the morning to have breakfast with her brother and family.

Since Blanket’s birthday was a week after Prince’s and he had a sleepover, Lorna knew she was going to have to do something for the small boy. The boy still wasn’t sure what to have for birthdays other than games, friends, cake and ice cream. It did blow her mind away when Prince had his birthday; some of the cousins had no idea that it was ok to serve ice cream with cake. It did amuse Lorna when the kids’ eyes lit up at the mention of ice cream.

As Lorna started to get ready, an hour before the kids were to wake, her mind drifted to the night Michael had opened up his emotional baggage to her. It was amazing he kept his true feelings hidden for so long. Not even the closest of family members knew of his emotional turmoil. She was quite astonished that he held in so much sad emotions for so long and since that night, she noticed he seemed to be more cheerful. His teasing was endless too. Though his admittance wasn’t the only thing that was plaguing her mind, it was what she woke the next morning to.

(Flashback)

Waking in a different bed had her confused for several moments until she felt a body shift. Her mind suddenly slammed into her with the memory of where she was and why. She was in the bedroom of the Pop King, in his bed with him. She felt her face flame up in a huge blush. She was thankful for the moment of facing away from him. She really didn’t want him to see her flaming face. It took her a few minutes to get control her blush and remember she was there because he asked her to.

When she felt the heat leave her face and knew her face was back to the normal peach color, she turned to face the man. She saw that he was lying on his back, looking quite comfortable. He shifted again, turning to face her and she was able to see the peaceful of his face. He looked so innocent. She sighed softly at him. He had been hurt so badly.

She started to creep her hand towards him when he opened his eyes and silently stared at her. She gave a slight gasp and whipped her hand back to herself.

“Last night is the first time,” he started quietly, shy tenor voice really showing. “I slept very well.”

She loved the sound of his voice. “Do you have a hard time sleeping normally?”

“I do,” he admitted. “But last night having you here, I slept peacefully. I get one really good night sleep probably once a month.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” she said sadly. “Perhaps keeping your feelings bottled up for so long prevented you from sleeping well.”

He shook his head. “That’s not it. I have often had sleeping problems since I was in my 20s. That’s 30 years, which was before the tabloids started to print garbage about me.”

“Well I had better get up,” she said. “I’m going to hang out with the kids today. I haven’t done that much lately since agreeing to stay here. I also need to get something for Blanket for his birthday.”

He nodded. “I wish this moment wouldn’t end. Thank you for staying with me. Do you need a shower?”

“No,” she answered. “I showered last night before finding you.”

“So that explains why your hair was damp,” he said.

“Can I ask you a question,” she said. “You don’t have to answer if you don’t wish to. I’m just extremely curious. But why do you wear a wig?”

His eyes closed for a moment before looking at her again. “I sometimes do,” he stated. “This is my real hair. I sometimes wear them to make my hair bounce a little more. Since the I was badly burnt from doing a Pepsi commercial, I have been concerned with my hair.”

“I remember hearing about that,” she exclaimed. “You had second and third degree burns. That must have been tough for you.”

“It was, but I got through it,” he said. “Though the hair did grow back but I am starting to get hair loss. Not to mention my Lupus.”

“Well that’s reasonable,” she said. “Men don’t often like to show off any bald spots. Lupus? You have more than one illness?”

“Yes,” he answered. Since last night, he felt very comfortable around her like he wanted to tell her everything. And he wanted to tell her. He did not want to keep secrets from her. “Lupus can be deadly. I have a mild case of it, which I’m thankful for. It can cause ugly rashes on my skin, which form into a butterfly like look. Lupus can attack internal organs and joints and a few times I have had that happen, but not as often as the rash.”

“So you suffer with a mild case of Lupus and of Vitiligo,” she blinked. “So that explains the big ass umbrella. You need to keep yourself out of the sun as much as possible, though you will stand in it unprotected at times.”

Michael nodded. “Thank you for understanding.”

“I wouldn’t be a good friend if I didn’t,” she answered. “Thank you for sharing some of your personal thoughts. Though I am surprised you told me. I know you like to keep yourself quiet about your conditions.”

“I wouldn’t have told you, if I didn’t trust you or wanted to,” he defended.

“I’m glad to know the hair thing was another lie. I think you look good in any style,” she admitted. “Though I do admit, I liked your ‘Bad’ era hairdo the best. You were really handsome with curls. Though the afro style you once had as a kid is not my thing.”

Michael laughed at her statement. “Well that was the style when I was young.”

“Thank god, it never came back,” she said. “Black people look a hell of a lot better with styles of today.”

Michael continued to giggle. She was making fun of an old hairstyle and yet he did not find it insulting. “Well that was a long time ago and with our age difference, you were only really little then.”

“I might have been a toddler, too busy drooling over my toddler toys, but I do surf the web all the time and I’ve seen several pictures of you when you were a kid with the Jackson 5 as well when you got older. You know if I didn’t know you are actually a black man, I would have pegged you as white.”

“That’s the condition of my Vitiligo,” he answered. “It has made my skin nearly porcelain white.”

Lorna sat up and pulled the blankets off of her. Michael got up as well and walked over to her.

“If you don’t mind me using your bathroom to get changed, I’ll be out of your hair in a few,” she said.

“You’re never in my hair,” he half smiled. “But yes, I’ll let you go and get changed. There’s a laundry shoot where you can toss your night clothes into.”

“I think I’ll carry them to my the rest of my dirty clothes. Besides I have to get the clothes washed anyway.” She turned away from and went to the bathroom.

(End Flashback)

Lorna was forced out of her thoughts when the realization came that she was all dressed and ready to start the day. She shook her thoughts out of her head and began to focus on the day ahead. Leaving the bedroom and her private thoughts behind, Lorna made her way to the kitchen where Kai was busy on making the cake for a now seven year old boy.

“Good morning Kai,” Lorna greeted.

The chef turned with a gasp. “Miss McCall,” she said. “You’re up early.”

“Kai, I’ve said it many times please don’t be so formal.”

“Sorry, force of habit with Mr. Jackson,” she said. “What are you doing up so early?”

“I want to help in anyway I can. Today’s party is going to be a good one for Blanket.”

Kai smiled and started to instruct the woman on what to do. Lorna did what the chef instructed without question and with a smile. When it came time for the children to be up, Lorna excused herself and took the back way out so the children would think she was just coming down.

“Good morning,” she greeted with a smile to the children.

“Good morning,” the children chimed back.

“Do you know what today is?” Blanket inquired.

Lorna walked over to the boy. “Ummm…I don’t know, perhaps it’s someone’s birthday,” she smiled.

The boy smiled. “Yeah, and do you knows birthday it is?”

“Could it be the birthday of Prince Michael the second, who is nicknamed Blanket?”

The boy clapped. “How did you guess?”

Paris and Prince chuckled at the woman who was goofing around with their brother. The two older siblings took their seat and waited for their father. They knew their father would come down to breakfast this time.

Lorna hugged the boy and wished him a ‘Happy Birthday’. The two weren’t sitting long when Janet walked into the room, just like she had done the week prior. But directly behind her was her older brother, though she didn’t know he was there.

“I hear there is another birthday,” Janet greeted.

“You heard right!” Blanket announced. “Will you be staying Aunt Janet?”

“For a little while, I will,” she said. “I won’t be able to stay as long this time as I did with Prince. Life as an entertainer really takes its toll.”

“I bet,” Lorna said. “I’ve noticed how much Michael works.”

“He’s just a work alcoholic,” Janet smirked.

“I’m not the only who works constantly.”

Janet turned to her brother. “Sneaky,” she half hissed.

He smiled. “How long will you be staying?”

“I’ll stay until a little after lunch,” she said. “My plane leaves at four.”

“Oh? Where are you going?” Michael walked over to give the birthday boy a kiss before proceeding to do the same for the other two. As he past Lorna, he gave her a small smile, which she returned.

Janet noticed the look the two gave each other. Something was happening between the two, she was sure of it. She had enough relationships and seen many to know the signs. “There’s a benefit I must attend in London.”

“I wish you luck on that,” he said as he took his seat. “I will be taking the children out to shop for a couple hours and then coming back to celebrate Blanket’s birthday.”

“Well you can be sure I’ll be here for that,” Janet smiled as she sat at the table as well.

The three children smiled at their Aunt and waited for Kai to serve breakfast. Blanket had no idea his father, Aunt and Lorna had something planned for him. In fact the other two kids really didn’t think too much of it either. When breakfast was all done, Michael asked to speak with Lorna alone and asked the children to meet him in the car. Janet went to the kitchen to see if there was anything she could do and to find out what Lorna had planned for her nephew.

“You’ll be fine?” Michael asked when him and Lorna were completely alone.

“Yes, I’m fine. Two hours should give me enough time to get everything done. Your Mother and Elizabeth are on their way now. I have the cell phone to your bodyguards so if I need anything I’ll call.”

Michael nodded. Since she had spent the night in his room, he felt closer to her. He greatly enjoyed falling asleep with his arms around someone. It had been a long time for him to have that great feeling and it wasn’t he rather missed. More so in the last few years than before.

He reached forward and softly kissed her cheek. “For luck,” he said. To him he actually did it more as he wanted to have some physical contact with her.

Lorna would have blushed at his display of affection, but since waking in his bed, she really didn’t find it was needed now. He was a very affectionate person and he would often give his fans warm embraces and even kisses on the cheeks.

“Thank you,” she smiled. “But you better get going before the kids figure out what’s going on. Just because they are kids, kids are smarter than what people give them credit for.”

Michael turned away from her and headed to the car.

-

Getting back home was a relief. Out shopping with Daddy this time was a little tough. Everyone they walked passed would say ‘Happy Birthday, Blanket’. The small boy would tightly grip his father’s hand, as Paris would hold the other hand. Prince walked just in front of his father, with a security guard beside him. He really didn’t understand what the deal was for everyone to go out, but he was sure it was important enough to get everyone out of the house and leave Lorna alone Aunt Janet and the hired help.

Prince was able to get his answer when he walked into the door to find the foyer slightly darker than usual. Paris walked in behind him. She saw that something was up. She had her suspicions on what it was. The two kids moved out of the way as Michael walked in, with Blanket in his hand. Michael wore a soft smile on his face.

“Daddy,” Blanket said. “It’s so dark.”

When Michael was in the middle of the room, sudden lights turned on and the yell of ‘surprise’ was heard from all corners.

Blanket jumped in quick fright, but Michael was right there to calm him down. There in front of Blanket was his Grandmother, Aunts Janet and LaToya, Uncles Tito, Germaine and Randy, Elizabeth Taylor, Lorna, all his friends, and even Macaulcy Culkin was there.

It didn’t take Blanket long to realize the surprise was for him as he could read a birthday sign that had his name on it. His eyes followed down from the sign to Lorna who had a great big grin and he knew right away the party was her idea.

He shrugged off his Daddy’s hand and ran over to Lorna and quickly wrapped his small arms around her waist. “Thank you,” he squealed in her shirt.

Lorna’s arms were around him in an instant. “Your welcome.”

When Lorna had met Mac, she was completely and utterly surprised by his visit. She had no idea he was coming, as he wasn’t able to make it to Prince’s birthday. She knew the history Mac and Michael had, but never in her wildest dreams would she ever met the child star of Home Alone. He was really nice to her when he introduced himself.

“Michael,” Mac said. “You have some explaining to do.”

Michael looked up at his long time friend and shrugged. What was the young man talking about?

“You never told me you have a nice looking friend living with you,” Mac said. “And it doesn’t matter if she’s older than me, she’s still nice looking.”

Lorna felt herself wanting to shy away suddenly. Nearly every one of Michael’s friends and family had said the same thing. Lorna didn’t think she was good looking, with her light freckles and live at the strip but not part of it in Vegas.

Elizabeth though came to her. “Take it as it is,” she said. “It’s the truth, you are nice looking and from what I can tell,” she lowered her voice to a whisper. “You’re good for him too. He’s smiling more and looking younger too.”

“I’m just a friend,” Lorna answered shyly.

Blanket moved himself away from Lorna and to his friends. Both Paris and Prince were seeing if their Grandmother had brother them more goodies.

Liz looked at Lorna. “Who are you trying to kid?” she asked quietly. “You trying to convince yourself or him that you’re just friends? I can see the signs. I might be old, dear, but these old eyes have seen a lot and when my eyes start seeing a happy Michael, I start being sneaky.”

Lorna did not know what to say. That morning waking up in his bed, Lorna finally came to the realization that she did like the man and she would love to go out with him, but she was scared that he might not share those feelings. If Liz Taylor could see through Lorna’s façade of wanting to date the man, who else had that same thought.

“Liz,” Michael lightly laughed. He saw that his other long time friend was embarrassing Lorna. He walked over to Liz and kissed her cheek. “It’s good to see you again.”

Seeing that Liz’s attention was diverted elsewhere, Lorna took this moment to make a discreet exit, but she wasn’t as discreet as she thought. Someone watched her disappear around a corridor, which lead to the kitchen. Seeing as everyone was preoccupied with other things, this was the best chance to have a private talk with Lorna.

Lorna made it to kitchen without incident and she was grateful Kai wasn’t in the kitchen at the time. She was in living room where the party was going to take place. Where it had rained earlier that morning, the party wasn’t going to be outside like Prince’s was.

Lorna sat at a table and allowed her cheeks to flame up in redness. Her heart was also thumping in her chest too. She really liked Michael and she couldn’t understand why she kept getting shy moments.

“Is something the matter dear?”

Lorna jumped up to see a somewhat concerned look on Mrs. Jackson. Though the old woman was 79, she did not look a day over 60. “Mrs. Jackson!” Lorna squeaked.

Mrs. Jackson stepped further into the kitchen and sat at the table beside Lorna. “Call me Katherine. I’ve noticed you seem to get embarrassed easily in front of my son. Would you like to talk about it?”

“I don’t know…” she answered slowly.

“Is it because he’s a celebrity?”

Lorna thought for a moment and looked at the black woman. “Honestly, I’m not sure. Maybe it’s because I’ve been a hermit for so long. I have no idea what it’s like to have caring friends.”

Katherine nodded. “Yes, that could be a factor. But you seem to like my son and from what I can see, it looks to have gotten stronger since last week.”

“Your son is a good person,” Lorna said. “He’s helped me with so many things.”

“Dear,” Katherine half scowled. “That is not what I’m referring to. It seems you like my son romantically. And I saw you on the news last week. If you like my son romantically you must take the paparazzi.”

Lorna lowered her head in defeat. Mrs. Jackson knew the signs when she saw them, just as Liz did. “I know and I do like your son, very much. But I don’t take rejection very well. I’ve already had a slight list of failed relationships and I would hate to have the same thing with Michael too. Not to mention he’s had his fair share of failed ones before too.”

Katherine reached her hand to the younger woman. “From what I can see you, my son likes you very much as well. He has told me that you have chosen to stay because you love those children.”

“I do,” Lorna countered. “I love them like they were my own.”

“I can see that. You helped set up Prince’s birthday last week and this week coordinated a surprise party for Blanket. I’m looking forward to what you’ll do for my Granddaughter.”

“She’s a sweet girl,” Lorna commented. “I understand the consequences that come from dating the King of Pop.”

“Then why did you shy away with the cameras?” Katherine asked.

“I just wasn’t ready to face the public eye with Michael yet. He’s been hurt so much. People treat him like he’s dirt or a criminal just because his skin is no longer dark and he’s had a few nose jobs. Why would that make a difference? He’s still a human being with thoughts and feelings. He does bleed and his blood is red just like the rest of us.”

Katherine felt her heart swell with delight. This younger woman understood where many people did not. She softly smiled at the woman. “Dear, I think you would be good for my son. Not many women have put Michael first when it comes to his feelings. Yes, Lisa Marie is a charming woman and she loved my son very much and yes Debbie Rowe gave me two beautiful Grandchildren and she wanted to help Michael to become a father. But Ms. Rowe used my son for money once ending the marriage. She no longer could handle the pressure of being a celebrity’s wife.”

“Excuse my language for this, but she’s a ***** and doesn’t deserve the light of day. I’ve read in the news that she’s trying for custody of the children. Children she abandoned after ending the marriage and wanted money instead. No parent should put money in front of children. Those children out there don’t even know she is their mother. Those children don’t need someone like her. This world is populated with enough of those abandoning mothers and I will not stand by and allow those children to be harmed.”

“Does my son know you have those feelings?” Katherine loved how this woman was speaking about her grandchildren and son.

“No,” Lorna stated. “He has yet to come up to me either to inform me that he’s in a custody battle either. I know he’s going to do a series of concerts in July but I also know he doesn’t lock himself away for hours in that Den preparing for it either. I want to help him.”

“Then tell him,” Katherine argued. “Tell him how you feel and tell him you want to help.”

Lorna looked at Katherine. “Katherine, you wouldn’t mind if I dated your son, would you?”

Katherine softly smiled again. “No, dear. I’m sure Ms. Taylor and a few others out in the other room would feel the same as I do.”

“But what about his father?”

“Joe is not the one you have to impress. You have already won me over and I’m sure Janet likes you as well as she did help you set this party up. The one you have to impress is the man who is out there who is very kind to you. Holding back your true feelings can do damage as well as admitting them. You just have to take a leap of faith. It’s better to have love and lost then to never have loved at all.”

“I suppose your right,” Lorna said in defeat. “But how could I approach him? He’s always busy and I don’t want to take time away from his work, in almost two weeks we’re going to London to announce the concert. I’ve never been to London. I have only been with Michael since Christmas when I fell in front of his gate. I totally missed Christmas because I was sick.”

“There are many people who go without Christmas,” Katherine replied. “I know Michael celebrates Christmas now but he once didn’t.” She paused for a moment. “Perhaps we should go back to the others. This is for my Grandson.”

Lorna nodded. The two women stood up. “Thank you,” Lorna lightly smiled. “I do feel a little better. I’m just not used to being cared for.”

Katherine pulled the younger woman into a warm embrace. Lorna happily accepted the embrace. “Of course, dear. If you ever want to talk, I’m here. Later, before I leave, I’ll give you my number so you may call me.”

Lorna pulled away and then walked back to the others. Michael had seen her enter the room and started to open his mouth to speak when he saw his mother enter from behind. He quickly closed his mouth, realizing whatever just happened, his mother had talked to her. He had seen Lorna make her exit towards the kitchen and he had immediately became concerned. He promised himself to speak with Lorna later about it, right now he had to deal with his son’s birthday and he was really happy in how it was turning out.

It was good to see Mac again and seeing his son really happy always made his heart soar. He turned his attention to Kai entering the room, stating people could now make their way to the living room from the foyer. The kids were quick to rush to the living room where games were set up to play. Blanket was slightly confused on the setup until Lorna came into the room and explain to the children what they were to do.

Blanket looked quite intrigued. Since it was Lorna who set the party up, she jumped into the thing of leading the way. The adults just stood back and watched. With Blanket being the birthday boy, he got to choose which game he wanted to play first and chose ‘pin the tail on the donkey’ and he was the first to go.

Michael watched Lorna as she blindfolded the boy and spun him around 3 times and allowed him to walk to the donkey picture to pin the tail. When he made his mark, he removed the blindfold and gave a sour face. He hit the leg. Lorna walked over to him and reminded him that it was ok; it’s just a game for fun. Lorna did the same for each kid. When all kids had their turn, everyone learnt the closet to the tail was actually Prince and Blanket so they each got a prize.

The children played more games, with Lorna instructing each game, which a different kid won each game. As it neared on lunch, Kai served everyone lunch, before having cake and ice cream.

“Ok,” Lorna called, when everyone had their fill of lunch. “Since Aunt Janet needs to leave soon, we’re going to do the cake cutting and open presents.”

“Lorna,” Michael said. “Blanket is too…”

“I didn’t say he’s cutting the cake.” She walked over to him, grabbed his glass of juice and placed it on the table. “His father is going to help him.” She grabbed his hand and pulled him to the center of the room. Being as shocked as he was, he allowed himself to be pulled. He did not know what to make of Lorna.

Mac and Liz both began to chuckle at how a woman finally was able to pull the King of Pop. Of course Janet stifled a giggle as well. Lorna finally stopped moving when she was facing the cake. She then placed the knife in his hand. Michael sighed she was being stubborn.

Blanket walked up to his father and curled himself into the man. Lorna gently took the boy’s hand and lightly placed it on top of his father’s. Lorna had no idea there were a couple cameras going off. Once she removed her hand from Blanket’s, Michael guided his hand to cut the cake. Lorna realized at the last moment, that people were taking pictures and she was in them. She felt like blushing, but she looked at Katherine to see her soft smile. Lorna decided to ignore the cameras and enjoyed the moment.

With the cake cut, Lorna then gave everyone who wanted cake, a piece and offered ice cream to whoever wanted it. Once the dessert was gone, it came time to open gifts. After helping with the cutting of the cake, Michael felt compelled to help Lorna with the handing of presents. He wanted to get involved in his son’s birthday.

The presents weren’t unwrapped for long before Janet had to give her good byes. Blanket half pouted that his Aunt had to leave. But she immediately told him no pouts. Only smiles. He soon smiled and hugged his Aunt before going to his friends to play with his new toys. Janet gave her mother and brothers a hug, leaving Lorna last.

As Janet came to Lorna she tightly embraced the woman. “Thank you for my nephew’s birthday.”

“You’re welcome,” Lorna hugged back. “Have a safe trip.”

Janet pulled away and finished her farewells and left. Once she was gone, everyone went back to mingling amongst each other as the kids continued to play. Michael was quite impressed with Lorna and couldn’t help but continuously stare at her all day. His friends had noticed the stare but they didn’t say anything. Liz began to think that the two really needed to hook up and if they weren’t going to do it soon, she was going to do it for them. The two liked each other a lot and the two were in so much denial it wasn’t funny.