- Text Size +
Chapter 9
Confronting Awkwardness

Upon waking the next morning, Lorna had a sense of confusion. She still didn’t know what to make on what happened the night before. As she lay in the bed, she turned her head to the candleholders she was given. As she stared at them, her mind kept going on over on how he surprised her with the gift. Though the evening ended on an awkward note, she was thankful to him. He had given her something no one ever has given her. She was finally able to have a gift given her on Valentine’s Day.

Though she enjoyed the evening, she still didn’t know what to make of what nearly happened. Where she felt like kissing him and she had a feeling he had the same thoughts. But the two were only friends. Friends didn’t romantically kissed.

Sitting up in bed, Lorna couldn’t shake the feeling that she was feeling more the middle aged man than she should. He was after all 15 years older than her and she was raised to never date anyone where the age gap was far apart. But she was also taught when two people were in love, nothing really mattered much. So what was she to do? He was almost an adult when she was born. But he had such a childish attitude at times. And he had been hurt so badly.

Knowing she had to get up, but wasn’t really in the mood to see the man she nearly kissed, she reluctantly got out and did her morning rituals before being freshly dressed to meet the children for breakfast. Upon reaching the dining room, she was surprised the King of Pop wasn’t there. Though at the same time she was grateful. She was not ready to see him yet.

“Where’s Michael?” she heard herself asked.

Blanket glanced at the woman. “Daddy doesn’t always come down for breakfast. He does sometimes sleep in and eat later on.”

“Is something the matter?” Prince asked.

Lorna walked further into the room. “No, there are no problems. I’m just surprised is all.” And grateful to, she added to herself.

Soon Kai entered the dining room with breakfast. Lorna took a seat nearby Blanket and had her breakfast. The four ate in silence not knowing Michael had almost entered the room but seeing Lorna he stopped. His mind kept going over from nearly kissing her. He had made a vow to not trust a lot of people but yet here he was throwing his trust to the woman.

He turned away from the dining room, not wanting to disturb everyone. He had heard his youngest son speak saying that he didn’t always was there for breakfast. He made his way around to the back way to the kitchen. He saw the chef cleaning up the dishes from cooking.

“Kai,” he called.

The woman turned to her employer. “Mr. Jackson,” she greeted.

“I would like my breakfast served in the Den, please,” he requested. “I will be spending most of my day in there.”

Kai nodded. She turned to finish the dishes, questioning to herself why he would request that. He had not requested breakfast in the Den since Miss McCall arrived. Did something happen with the surprise dinner? Of course Kai did not question her employer’s requests. He might not have as much money as he once did, but he still had money. Though the tabloids would say he no longer had money except in assets, she knew better than that. He had money probably in off shore accounts and he did invest in his money.

As Kai was in her deep thoughts Michael left the kitchen and made his way to the Den where he began to do some work with his upcoming concerts. Since he no longer had Neverland, he no longer had his own recording or dancing studios, which meant he was going to have to rent a location to prepare for the concerts. He wished he still had Neverland, but it was tainted and he could never go back there. Neverland no longer existed. His childhood was now truly gone. He no longer was able to see the childhood he lost through other children. Yes, he had his own children, but he was raising him. It wasn’t the same. Though with Lorna around, he felt his childish antics returning like it once did when children was constantly around him.

He was so deep in his thoughts, he had not realized time went by and now Kai was in the room, serving him breakfast. He looked at his desk, noting he had opened nothing. He soon made room for the tray of food. As he began to eat, he glanced at Kai who was still in the room.

She could see he was looking at her. “Mr. Jackson,” she said. She couldn’t keep her silence. “If I may be bold, did something happen last night?”

Michael stopped and gave her his full attention. “Meaning?” he asked. He was asking more on what she was referring to.

“The surprise dinner. Did she like it?”

“Yes,” he answered. “We are friends Kai.”

The tone he used, Kai knew not to press the matter further. He might have had a tenor voice, but he could mean business when he wanted to. She turned away and left to do other chores. She would have gotten Debbie to serve the breakfast but the woman was currently helping the children with their studies. Debbie was the hired private tutor.

-

When studies were over for the day, Paris went to family room to watch some TV. Blanket went with the Nanny to the play area and Prince wanted to play a video game. As she turned on the TV, she was just about to switch the station when a news report.

“Coming up shortly, in the program,” a woman was saying. “Michael Jackson was out shopping last night and this time he had a woman with him. She was wearing a hat and sunglasses, completely covering her face. Who is she is what the word on the street are saying.”

“That is a good question,” a man said who sat beside the woman. “Who was that woman? Well we’ll have to see. That is to come in the next hour.”

Paris muted the TV and quickly rushed to get Debbie. The woman was setting the dining room table for dinner, which would be in a couple hours. She saw the frantic girl. “What’s wrong Paris?”

“Quick. Daddy and Lorna have to see this. They are both going to be on TV.”

“What? Really?” Debbie questioned. “Must have been from last night. Lorna is in the computer room.”

The young girl turned and rushed down the hall to the computer room where she frantically told Lorna. The woman got worried suddenly and told her friends she would be right back and went out with Paris. Meanwhile Debbie went to the Den where she knew her employer was and told him. He was quite curious and he soon found himself in the family room.

As she walked into the room, he saw Lorna and seeing her the near kiss suddenly was thrown into his mind again. He had been able to forget about that until now once he buried his head into his work. Paris rushed to the TV and turned the volume on.

“Now for the report all you Michael Jackson fans out there are asking,” a woman, the same woman as before, said. A picture of Michael Jackson popped up on the screen. “The Pop singer, Michael Jackson was seen last night shopping at an Antique store. Normally that is something we see normal for him. But this time instead of his three masked children, he basically had a masked woman with him.”

“Yes,” the man from before agreed. “Who is she? And where did she come from?” A video clip of Lorna getting out of the RV appeared on the screen. “As you see she’s wearing one of Michael Jackson’s fedora hats and sunglasses. Was she hiding herself from the public, not wanting to get pictures or she a new love interest to the Popstar?”

“Earlier today we went out on the streets and asked around,” the woman replied.

The screen then switched to showing people on the streets.

“Who knows who she was,” an Asian looking lady answered. “I saw her enter the store with Michael Jackson and she seemed quite nervous as I watched the two go into the back for a few minutes but came out a few minutes later.”

Another woman was shown who had many piercings on her face. She had jet black dyed hair. “I think she’s a new love interest. I would love to be in her shoes right now.”

A young punk guy appeared on the screen. “Dude, she’s probably just some sort of gold digger.”

“I am not!” Lorna blurted angrily, getting everyone’s attention. “That is so far from the truth! I would never dream of doing that!”

“What’s a gold digger?” Paris asked.

“Someone who is with someone just for money,” Debbie quietly answered.

Michael walked over to the angered woman. “I know you’re not.”

Lorna turned her attention to another person who was on the TV, who was another guy. “I think she probably wants a sugar daddy. You know someone to take care of her. God knows Michael loves to throw his money away.”

Lorna was now fuming. She felt betrayed, but she wasn’t. She also felt humiliated. “I can’t believe that!”

Michael took a step back. He could tell she was angry and he really didn’t want to see her get any angrier. “We know that isn’t true,” he tried politely.

Lorna turned to the man. “Michael, how can you stand here and say that. They know nothing…” she trailed off. That is exactly what the media had been saying about Michael for years without knowing everything about him.

Michael turned his head towards his daughter. “Paris, turn off the Television, please.”

Paris did as asked and she turned off the TV. She was slightly nervous as she never seen Lorna upset like this before. Debbie placed an arm around the girl for comfort. She leaned down to the girl’s ear and whispered something. The girl agreed and the two walked out, leaving Michael to deal with the upset woman.

“I can’t believe you allowed them to walk all over you like that,” she fumed.

“I have tried to tell people not to listen to that garbage, but they still do,” he defended.

“That’s no the same thing,” she said angrily. “Can’t you do something about that?”

“What can I do?” he shrugged. “People are entitled to their opinion.”

“Now when those opinions are just things they are just assuming,” she defended. “We have to do something! I will not stand here and allow your name to be tainted then it already is.”

Michael’s heart felt lighter than air at her words. She really did care for him and he could see how much she was displeased in how people talk about him. He saw tears welling up in her eyes. She was truly hurt by that broadcast. He stepped forward and rested a hand on her shoulder.

“It’s not fair,” she argued.

“No,” he agreed. “It’s not fair. I have yet found a way to stop the gossip and stupid rumors.”

Lorna turned away from him as her tears tracked down her cheeks. “I’m sorry,” she quietly said. “I didn’t mean to blow up like that.”

“You have every right to be angry,” he said in his soothing voice. “I had hoped last night’s trip out wasn’t going to make the news, but I was wrong and for that I’m sorry. I should have taken you somewhere else.” Both of his arms reached up and lightly wrapped on her shoulders.

“If you excuse me,” she said. “I would like some time alone.” She felt comfort with his arms on her shoulders, but at the same it was making her nervous.

Michael gave a look of sadness. She was hurting and she didn’t want his comfort. “Lorna, I’m here if you wish to talk.”

“I know…Thank you.” She moved herself forward and left the room. She had to get away from. From still feeling on what happened the previous night and now she was on the news, she had to escape. She knew keeping a secret that she was staying with Michael Jackson wasn’t going to last much longer. She was going to have to talk to him about that.

She rushed to the computer room and went back online with her friends where the conversation with a couple people started to question her on if she had seen the latest news report about a possible new girlfriend to Michael Jackson. Lorna really didn’t know what to say but at least part of the truth of seeing the report.

-

At the supper table, Paris had a feeling on what was going on. Her father and friend were barely speaking when they were in the room together. The young girl had been watching her father and friend closely and seen how close the two were getting, but now they were barely in the same room together. And it all started sometime after she went to bed the previous night when they had dinner together.

When meal was over, Paris watched was Lorna excused herself. When the children were allowed to leave the table, Paris quickly got up and searched for Lorna. She tried the computer room but the woman wasn’t there. She wondered where the woman was. She walked to the kitchen only to find Debbie sitting at the small table working on something for Blanket’s birthday that was in a week.

“Debbie,” the girl said. “Have you seen Lorna?”

Debbie looked up to the girl. “Miss McCall said something about wanting to relax in her room after supper. That news report really bugged her.”

“Thank you,” the girl smiled. She turned and walked away, heading up stairs to the woman’s room. Paris did not have to knock long when Lorna answered the door.

“Hello, Paris,” Lorna greeted. “Is there something you want?”

“Can we talk?” the child asked.

Lorna offered the girl in the room. “What’s on your mind?”

“Daddy,” she answered. “I’ve noticed you and Daddy are not talking much today and I was wondering if something is wrong.”

“There’s nothing wrong,” Lorna half lied.

“Lorna do you like my Daddy?”

Lorna was taken aback. What brought this on from the daughter? “Well I am your father’s friend.”

“That’s not what I mean. Please don’t put the innocent act on. I’m smarter than I let on. I’ve noticed how you and Daddy have gotten real close. I’ve seen how he looks at you sometimes. But today you guys are like avoiding each other.”

“Sweetie,” Lorna said kindly. “What happens between myself and your father is our business.”

Paris gave a look of disappointment. “You like my Daddy don’t you? You like him enough that he seems more than a friend and that’s why you’re basically avoiding him. I may be ten but I’m not stupid.”

“No one said you were,” Lorna defended. She could tell the girl was getting upset. “What would you do if I did like your father?”

“You mean like my Daddy more than a friend? I wouldn’t care. I would love it. Daddy needs someone. He’s so lonely and he hasn’t been with anyone really since I was born. Though there is Blanket to consider, but I never met his Mommy. I don’t even know my own.”

Lorna thought on what the girl was saying and realized the girl was right. Lorna did like the Pop King more than just a friend. That near kiss basically proved it, but did he feel the same?

Lorna gave a sigh of defeat. She grasped the girl’s hand. “I do like your father, more than I should.”

“Then what’s the problem?” Paris asked. “If you like Daddy, go after him.”

“It’s not that simple,” Lorna argued. “I don’t know if he likes me the same way. Besides, it doesn’t feel right in wanting to date your Dad when he’s a celebrity.”

“That doesn’t matter,” Paris stated. “If you like my Daddy or even love my Daddy, you should tell him. He does have feelings. Besides what if Daddy likes you?”

Lorna lowered her head. “I doubt he would like me in that way.”

“You don’t know that. From what I see, he considers you a special friend.”

“He has told me that,” Lorna admitted.

“Can you at least give my Daddy a chance?” Paris pleaded.

Lorna looked at the girl and couldn’t help but bend to her will. “Alright, I will. But can you promise me something? Can we keep this between the two us?”

The girl nodded. She reached over and hugged Lorna. “I would like to see you with my Daddy.” Paris stood up from the bed and left before Lorna could react.

Perhaps Paris was right, perhaps she was being a little foolish about avoiding the man. Of course Michael also seemed to be a little distant too, unless he was doing it to give her space. She knew she had to speak with him about it. But he was probably too busy to talk and she didn’t want to disturb him. She would wait until later when she knew she could get him alone with being disturbed.

Why was she feeling like a young teenage girl with a school crush? She was over the age of thirty and he was fifty. They were both grown adults, they shouldn’t have to shy away like school children. She did wonder if he did like her like the way she liked him. And the more she thought about it, she didn’t care there was 15 years difference between them. If two people loved each other, age was never a factor.

Lorna did have to admit to Paris being brave enough to come to her and tell her basically it was ok for her to date the girl’s father and that she was hoping it would happen. She also had to admit Paris did have a good eye. The child had hit Lorna’s feelings right on the nose. Lorna was actually falling for Pop King and she couldn’t stop herself.

Remembering that it was after supper, she decided to speak to Michael, she got up and headed towards his Den, where she had a feeling he would be. She knocked on the door and waited for an answer. When she got her answer, he lightly smiled at her.

“This is a pleasant surprise,” he greeted. When he heard a knock, he had forced his feelings to hide away once again. He didn’t want people to see his vulnerability.

“I’m sorry to disturb you, but I need to talk to you,” she said. She was really nervous.

Michael noted her nervousness. He allowed her in and walked back to the desk, putting his papers away. “What can I do for you?” he asked. He noted that her attitude was somewhat different from the news report.

“Michael,” she started. “Last night…I…we…” she stumbled over her words. She lowered her head.

He realized what she was trying to say. He walked over to her and gently cupped her chin with two fingers. He gave a little pressure for her to look at him. “Are you ashamed of me?” he asked slightly feeling hurt.

Lorna’s eyes widened. “Oh god! No! I could never be ashamed of you. You are a good person. I would be your friend even if you were poor, wondering if you’d be able to keep food on the table.”

“Then why is it you seem nervous?” he asked. He was relieved to know she wasn’t ashamed of him.

Lorna took a few deep breaths. She turned away from him. “I’m confused. I don’t want to hurt you nor do I want to lose your friendship. It’s been a long time for me to have a physical guy friend and it slightly scares the hell out of me.”

He nodded in total understanding as he stared at her back. He raised his hands up to rest against her shoulders. “I can understand that. You did say that you didn’t have many friends.”

“Michael, when we had dinner…” she paused, “I don’t know…I’m just wondering…what happened…or almost happened…”

Michael thought to their private dinner and his urge to kiss her. He had a feeling that was what she was trying to say. They nearly kissed. “Honestly,” he said quietly, sending his tenor voice into a more shy quiet tone. She was able to hear the sound from his younger years. “I’m not sure myself,” he admitted. “I have been thinking about last night and trying to rationalize things.”

She turned to him. She had to see for herself of the man who once had a really quiet voice. “We’re friends right?” she asked attentively.

“We are friends,” he assured. “I’m not looking for romance.”

“Neither am I,” she agreed. “I’ve had too many bad relationships and they’ve always ended badly. I don’t want to be hurt again.”

“Lorna,” he said gently. “I would never do anything to hurt you or something that you’re not wanting to do. That isn’t me.”

“I know. But you know yourself, habits are hard to break.”

He nodded. “We are friends and that’s all we need.” He wasn’t sure if he was saying that more for himself or to her. He did feel a little disappointment, but at the same time he felt he needed to give her space.

Lorna nodded and then hugged him. “I hope you can understand,” she whispered.

He took the chance and lightly kissed her head. “I would never push you into something you don’t want.”

She felt his light kiss but knew it was only a comfort gesture, but it still didn’t stop her heart from nearly skipping a beat. He was so gentle. She pulled up. “I better let you get back to your work. Next week is Blanket’s birthday and of course there is the trip to London.”

Michael nodded. “There are no hard feelings?”

“No,” she agreed. She turned to leave but stopped and turned to the man. “Before I leave, I think there is something we should discuss. From that report earlier, I don’t think we can keep me living here a secret for much longer.”

“I agree,” he admitted. “But if the world knows you’re staying with me, they will still assume you and I are dating.”

He watched her lower her head. “I know. I don’t like it. They don’t know anything about me. They don’t even know who I am. Though soon I’ll have to register myself in living in the state of California.”

He nodded. “Only when you’re ready. I won’t do anything without your knowledge first.”

She nodded. She turned away from him again and this time did manage to walk out.