- Text Size +
Chapter 8
Valentine’s Surprise

Paris and Blanket both woke before their father or Lorna. They quietly got up and did their normal morning routine before going to the kitchen for breakfast. Since the dining room chairs were being used, the kids couldn’t eat breakfast in there. Prince’s friends weren’t going home for another couple and the younger kids figured they were sleeping. After they ate their breakfast they rushed up stairs and got dressed. They had no idea their father was awake and had been for a couple hours, but laid quietly still on the air mattress.

When the two kids left Michael had turned over and watched Lorna sleep. She looked so peaceful as she slept. He again had another near sleepless night, but he did have to admit he did sleep better than the night before. He slid closer to the middle of the mattress so he wasn’t close to the chairs. Though as he moved to the center, Lorna turned and started to stir.

She noted there was not another body right against her and from that she opened her eyes to see that only her and Michael were in the makeshift tent.

“Morning,” he said quietly.

“Hi,” she answered. “Where are the kids?”

“They got up bit ago,” he replied. “And I think they just left to go and get dressed.”

Michael raised his arm to and placed his head to rest in the palm of his hand. His elbow was resting against the pillow Blanket had occupied. “What is your plans for today?”

“Haven’t a clue,” she said. “Today is Valentine’s Day, so there really isn’t much for me to do. I’m sure the kids will have some private studies since Prince’s friends are still here.”

“The boys parents’ will be around in a couple hours,” he stated.

“Oh dear,” Lorna said as she sat up. But she quickly regretted it as she suddenly took a dizzy spell. She fell over, but luckily something soft caught her. She dizzyingly looked up to see the concerned face of the popstar.

“Are you alright?” he asked with concern.

“I just got up too quickly,” she answered. “Just give me a moment to let the spell pass.”

He lightly held her as the dizzy spell passed. Once it was gone, he could feel her muscles trying to sit up. He helped her slowly into a sitting position. “Are you sure you’ll be fine?”

Lorna turned to the man. “Yes, I will. Thank you for the concern.” Lorna reached up and began to pull the blanket down on her side from the chairs. When the blanket fell, she suddenly turned, burying her head into her pillow.

“Ah!” she squealed. “Bright light!”

Michael lightly chuckled as he adjusted to the light and then pulled down the other side of the blanket so the blankets were no longer on the chairs. He looked at Lorna and chuckled.

“You know, your eyes won’t adjust if you bury head,” he commented.

Lorna lifted her head slowly, allowing her eyes to finally adjust. “It’s just a shock that’s all. How do you do it on stage with all those blaring lights in your face?”

“Don’t think about the lights,” he answered. “Now, we better get this cleaned up before the parents get here.”

“Party pooper,” she mocked. She pushed the chairs that were next to her. When they were far enough away, she rolled off the air mattress and stood up. Though her hair was in total disarray, she picked up two of the chairs and took them back to the dining room. Michael got off the mattress too and did the same.

Before long all there was left in the family room was the air mattress. The blankets were already gone. Lorna looked at Michael with a confused expression before realizing that someone had taken them to be washed. Thumping caused Lorna to blink and realized that Prince and the boys were about to enter the family room. The boys were dressed but were completely starved. Prince went to his father and hugged him before heading to the kitchen for food.

“Good timing,” Lorna remarked. “Now about the air mattress.”

“Just leave it,” Michael said. “Someone will take care of that while we freshen up.”

Michael turned away and headed towards the stairs to freshen up with a shower and clean clothes. Once he was freshly dressed in black jeans and blue shirt, he tossed his dirty clothes to be washed. He then headed to the kitchen where Kai handed him a coffee and breakfast. He didn’t say much to the chef, of course that was normal for him. But this time his mind was on something else that wasn’t work related. He was thinking about Lorna. He had remembered what she said about not ever having a Valentine’s Day.

“Kai,” he said, disturbing her from doing her morning cooking. “I was wondering if you can set up something for this evening.”

“What would you like Mr. Jackson?” the African American asked.

The Pop King proceeded to instruct the chef on what he wanted her to do. He wanted it to be left as a surprise. When he was done explaining, Kai looked at her employer and smiled.

“I suppose I could arrange that. When would you like this to take place?” she asked.

“Right after the children are in bed,” Michael stated. “And I would like it to be in my Den, so I know there won’t be any disturbances.”

“I will make the preparations,” the chef smiled.

Michael smiled back and continued his breakfast and then went to the family area where all the kids were and gave his good morning hugs to Paris and Blanket. He wasn’t in the family room long when the parents arrived to pick up their boys. The boys said their good byes and thanked the Pop King on allowing them to stay before they left with their parents.

With the boys gone, Michael then rushed his children to their school studies. The children obliged, giving their father a kiss before leaving. Once they were gone, Michael noted he had not seen Lorna yet. Taking a chance, he walked to the computer room to see if she was there, using his personal computer. Sure enough she was there. He could hear fast tapping on the keyboard.

Too curious, he silently walked into the room, not wanting to disturb her and peered over her shoulder to see what she was doing. Being taller than her did have the advantages and the advantage was even better with her sitting down. He could see there was a webpage opened up to what was called ‘Facebook’. He had no idea what that was, but could tell that she knew.

He watched her silently for a few minutes as she continued to type. When she stopped typing, she closed out of the webpage and signed into her MSN. Now that part he was familiar with though not too well. The page wasn’t opened very long when suddenly many boxes opened up and she began to vastly typing in those. He knew she was going to be busy at that for awhile so he decided to step out of the room and go to the Den to do some work.

-

As four O’clock approached, Michael looked up, as there was a knock at the door. He stood from his desk and answered it. He knew it was not Kai or Debbie as they would just knock and walk in. And he knew it wasn’t the children as they were playing outside with the Nanny.

He opened the door to see a tired Lorna standing in front of him.

She looked at him. “Remind me, to never get behind in my emails.” She walked into the room as he offered her in and she flopped; face first, into the sofa as Michael walked over to his desk.

“Are you telling me, you’re tired from checking your emails?” he asked.

She lifted her head. “You don’t know the half of it. I don’t have really much face to face friends, but I have lots of online friends and boy trying to update them on what has happened to me without saying I’m living here with you was quite the challenge.”

“Why would that be a challenge?” he asked.

“Because most of my friends are head over heals die hard Michael Jackson fans.”

“Oh,” he stated. “I suppose that would be tough.”

Lorna laid her head back on the sofa, enjoying the sound of his tenor voice. His voice so soft and gentle, she felt she could melt. Now she knew why many fans would just faint over him. “Also, I suppose I should have just signed in, invisible and then chatted with my friends slowly.”

“I know a little of Instant Messenger as sometimes Paris or Prince will use the computer and chat with their cousins or some of their friends, but I always stay around them.”

“Well I didn’t go anywhere after work unless to the grocery store and I did that on my days off, so I had lots of time to know my way around the web and collect up online friends. I noticed your computer has all the bells and whistles of up to date security.”

“One can never be too careful,” he stated. “Even if I don’t use the computer much. But being an entertainer I do need the protection.”

“I suppose your security keeps that in line?” she asked as she finally sat up and leaned her head against the back of the sofa. Her hands felt the texture and she felt herself falling in love with the sofa. It was a nice soft velvet sofa.

“Well someone has to,” he stated. “I don’t know my way around the computer that well. I barely use the computer.”

“Perhaps after your tour, I’ll just have to show you how to know your own computer,” she stated. She looked over at the Pop King and noted how handsome he was. The soft black long hair shaping around his face, helped to bring out his eyes.

“We’ll see. I do have the plans of releasing a new album, set to be released next year.” He turned away from the attractive woman and looked out the window to see the kids were no longer outside. He also noticed it had clouded over. He made a silent pray to not have it rain. He wanted to go outside with Lorna after the kids were in bed. He turned back to Lorna as he heard her move from the sofa.

“So when will supper be?” she asked as she walked over to him.

“The kids are going to have supper before we are,” he answered.

“What? Why?” she asked, confused.

“The children have been requesting their favorite dish. And it’s a meal that I’m not fond of, so we’ll eat later.”

“Well I could eat with the children,” Lorna protested.

“I know you can, but I would like to have some company when I eat.” He kept a straight face as he spoke. He did not want to spoil what he had planned. He did hope that she wouldn’t press further on it, or his poker face would break.

“Well, I am getting a little hungry,” she said.

“Would you like a mid afternoon snack?” he offered. “Our dinner will be after the kids go to bed.”

“Why so late?” she asked. “I never have had supper so late since I was living with my parents.”

“Because I need to go out shopping for a bit and I have to wait until after six to go and I would like you to come with me. And we won’t be back until…”

“You want me to go shopping with you?” she asked, interrupting him. “I’m confused. I’ve been under the understanding you rather shop either with the children or by yourself with your bodyguards.”

“Normally, that’s what I do, but I would like you to come with me. If you are to live here, I would like to know things that you like. I mean I will have to buy you Christmas gifts and it wouldn’t be right of me to not let your birthday go by without giving you something, though we’ll be on tour at the time.”

“That’s another thing,” she exclaimed. “You want me to go on your tour.”

“Yes, is that a problem? Because I don’t see one.” He leaned back in his chair and clasped his hands together, crossing his legs.

“I’m not a wealthy person. To most people I wouldn’t even be worthy to travel on tour. If I understand this all correctly, I would be going with you, so I would be watching you sing in the best seats in the house.”

Michael nodded. “And you would have full access to back stage and see what the crew and I do just before going on stage.”

“That’s a fan’s dream come true. But why do I get such a privilege?”

He leaned forward and grasped her hand. “To me, special people can see me perform from the stage. And you are a special person. My children adore you and you actually love my children as if they were your own.”

Lorna felt herself beginning to blush again. She had no idea why she kept blushing in his company. Perhaps it was his soft tenor voice or how he would gently hold her hand and treat her with the respect that she deserved.

He noted how she was feeling embarrassed again and he guessed it was because not many people were generous to her. He continued. “We may only be friends, but to me, you are part of this family and I’m glad to have a friend who is not a celebrity. You are an ordinary person, someone that I haven’t been since I was five.”

“I don’t know what to say,” she said shyly.

“Just say that you’ll be there with me on tour and come with me tonight,” he softly smiled.

“How can I say no?” she asked.

“Probably for the same reason that I won’t take ‘no’ for an answer,” he argued. “Now, what would you like for a mid afternoon snack to hold you over until we have dinner?”

Lorna thought for a moment before telling him what she wanted. She watched as he turned in his seat, releasing her hand, and called to the kitchen for Kai to send in her order, which was just a Cesar salad and some juice. When Kai arrived with the order, Michael walked over to a closet and pulled at a TV table and set it up at the sofa.

Lorna was surprised he had at TV table, but then again the man was constantly full of surprises. She figured soon she was going to give up on being surprised. He was literally trying to be a normal kind of guy when the press wasn’t hounding him down or his career taking over.

Lorna thanked Michael as he thanked Kai. She went and sat at the sofa and ate the salad. As she ate, she saw him and the chef were quietly talking, but she couldn’t hear what they were saying. Something was up and she was curious to know. Once the two were done talking, Michael sat at the desk with a small salad for himself. The two ate silently at their salads. Michael was done before Lorna and when Lorna was finished with hers, she sat back, feeling better.

“My goodness,” she stated. “I think that’s the best cesar salad I’ve tasted in like forever.”

The Pop King chuckled as he took his empty plate and walked over to Lorna and grabbed her plate. “Why don’t we go and visit with the children before they have supper?”

“That sounds like an idea,” Lorna said. “I haven’t really seen them all day.”

The pale African American nodded. The two stood up and went to the kitchen. Michael placed the two plates on the sink before leaving and looking for the kids. He soon found them in the recreational room. The three kids were playing the Nintendo Wii system on a 30-inch LCD TV that sat on a TV stand.

“You guys have the Wii?” Lorna blurted out, getting the kids attention.

“Lorna!” the kids chimed. Prince quickly paused the game and the three ran over to her and hugged her.

Michael felt like scratching his head. The kids ran to their friend and not him. Michael didn’t get much a chance to question his children’s action when they suddenly hugged him.

“Daddy,” Blanket smiled. “We were just told that Kai is going to make our favorite tonight.”

“That’s right,” he said.

“Will you be eating with us?” Prince asked.

“Apparently not,” Lorna said. “Your Dad would like me to eat with him when he eats.”

Paris nodded. “Yeah sometimes Daddy does eat alone so I guess it would be nice for Daddy to have some company.”

Prince turned away from the adults and went back to his game. “Paris, Blanket. Did you want to continue?”

“I’m going to kick your butt,” Paris said as she also went back to the game.

Blanket looked at his older siblings and then his father and friend. “I will sit the rest of it out,” the near seven year old said.

Lorna was too curious to see what they were playing. She walked over to the sofa the two near teens were standing at. She took a seat and watched them play. Soon Michael and Blanket came up and sat down beside her. Blanket was right against her and Michael sat beside his son. It wasn’t often he would watch them play the Wii, but with Lorna watching, he figured he would sit back and watch. Besides he had a plan and it required not letting Lorna out of his sight for long.

For an hour the two adults watched as the older kids played the game system. After they were done playing the original three-player game, the two switched games to a fight game. Michael was quite impressed at how well both of his children were playing. Though during part of the game, Lorna turned away from the game and her and Blanket began to quietly play some sort of card game. Lorna had found the cards on the table beside her.

When Michael noticed Lorna was no longer paying attention to the video game, he turned his attention to what his son and friend were playing. The two were playing some sort of silent game of flipping cards. He was intrigued in the game. Just as he started to watch, Debbie came into the room.

“It’s time to get ready for dinner,” she called.

The kids moaned. Prince and Paris didn’t want to stop their game. But they knew they had to. Lorna quickly grabbed the cards and started to fix them up with Blanket’s help as Paris and Prince turned off their game.

Michael stood from the sofa and addressed his children. “Lorna and I will be going out for a couple hours, but we’ll be back to say good night to you.”

“You two going out shopping?” Prince asked. He watched his father nod.

The three kids gave their father another hug and kiss before leaving the room to freshen up. Lorna gave her famed friend an odd look.

“I still don’t really understand why you want me to go with you,” she replied. “I know you said you want to know things that I like, but I’m confused why it’s so sudden. My birthday, as you know, isn’t for five more months.”

“Can’t a friend take a friend out shopping?” he asked innocently.

“You’re up to something,” she pointed out. “And I’m going to find out what.”

Michael turned away and brightly smiled. Just before turning he felt the muscles forcing his lips to smile and he knew he had to turn away. To show that he didn’t turn on purpose to avoid her, he walked towards the door. “We better get going as the car will be waiting for us.”

Lorna wanted to hit him, but he was too far away to do it. She knew he was up to something. She knew whatever he was doing, he nearly cracked. She could see that he was trying hard not to smile and the way he turned so fast when she said the last line, that gave the proof right there.

-

The ride to town was a quiet one. Driving in the RV once again, just like the day she left for the airport but then came back. Lorna noticed though, Michael would not look at her long and she could see his face was lit up with a smirk. She also noted at they drove, she could hear screams coming from the sidewalks.

“Is it always like this when you go shopping?” she asked, finally breaking the silence.

Michael pulled out his sunglasses, covering his dark pool brown eyes. “Always,” he answered. “Just to let you know when we get out, there will be a lot of people who will try and get close to him. Just stay close to my bodyguards until you get in the building.

“People will snap pictures, won’t they?”

“Seeing as you’re with me, you can bet that will happen. It sometimes discourages the children when they come out shopping, but they keep their masks tightly to their face and rush to the building as quick as possible.”

“Michael, I’m not sure I really want to do this,” she said with sadness.

He grasped her hand. “Do not worry about it. If you wish you can wear my fedora.”

She gasped. “Your famous trademark hat? I couldn’t do that.”

One of the security guards reached out and handed the hat to Michael. The Pop Singer took the article and held it out to Lorna. She looked at the hat and she could see a set of sunglasses in the hat.

The car stopped in front of an antique shop. As it stopped, a couple security guards got out from a car behind them and started to push people away as people started to crowd around the car.

Without a second thought, Lorna placed the fedora and sunglasses on. She really did not want to be in the spotlight. She knew the time would come, but she was not ready to face the public eye. The door on Michael’s side opened and the screams from crazed fans suddenly were nearly blaring in her eyes chanting ‘We love Michael’ over and over again.

He stepped out and made his way towards the entrance of the closed store. Lorna took a deep breath and got out as well. She was surprised over the screams; she could hear whispers saying ‘who is she?’ Lorna tried to ignore them as cameras suddenly were flashing in her face. She would have fallen over from the onslaught if it weren’t for a security guard, standing directly behind her. Another security guard was pushing people away from her as she tried to make her way to the store.

Lorna’s heart was thundering so loud, she felt weak in the knees. She felt tears welling up in her eyes as she finally made it to the door. The two security guards gently pushed her through the door before entering themselves. Once the door was securely closed and locked. Lorna felt any relief.

Michael saw that she was slightly distressed. He walked over to the shop owner and asked if he could take Lorna to the back. The owner nodded and soon Michael walked over to her and escorted her to the back, where there were no windows.

Michael removed his sunglasses. “Lorna? You’re safe.”

Lorna looked at Michael before she quickly wrapped her arms around him. “Oh my god, I was so scared back there.”

“I’m sorry,” he said. He started to feel guilty on bringing her out. He held her close to him. “Sometimes the kids feel a little nervous too.”

Lorna pulled back, noting his sincerity and his guilty voice. “I should be sorry,” she argued. “I should have prepared myself more for your fans and the possible chatter bug about me. I just need a few minutes to let this to sink it.”

Michael nodded. “Take as long as you need. I will be just in the main room shopping around. I love antiques.”

Lorna held Michael’s arm. “Please just wait here with me for another moment. Looking at your friendly face helps me to have the courage.”

He lightly smiled. He grasped her hand and gave it a light kiss before replacing the sunglasses back over his eyes. He gave her hand a squeeze.

Lorna took a few deep breaths before looking at him. She couldn’t see through the sunglasses to his eyes, but she could tell he was staring at her. “Let’s go out there and enjoy what we can of this shopping. I never did shop before while the store was closed.”

“It’s the only way I can shop,” he stated. He walked out of the room and a few seconds later Lorna walked out.

Lorna kept the fedora on her head and the sunglasses on over her eyes. She was grateful that she had pulled her long hair into a bun just before leaving the mansion. At least when the broadcast got out that she was with him, people wouldn’t know how long her hair was. She carefully started to look around, doing her best to ignore the people where were screaming outside. She did not pay attention to what Michael was looking at or the fact that he would once in awhile turn to the crowd, giving him a blow kiss and his trademark peace sign. She also did not notice that he was carefully following her. He was watching her carefully to see what she liked. He would hear her mumble ‘I wish I could have this’ and then put it down and look at something else.

When it was nearing on eight, Michael paid for his purchase and asked if Lorna wanted to get anything. She picked out a couple of cheaper things and paid for them. She did not notice that Michael handed what he paid for to his security. When purchases were done, the owner walked to the door and the security got ready to help Michael to the car as there were more people standing outside then before.

Lorna watched as Michael and three security guards walked to the RV. The other two remained behind for her. When Michael was half way to the car, Lorna and ‘her’ security headed out. Again Lorna heard ‘who is she?’ ‘where did she come from?’ ‘are they dating?’ besides the ‘I love you’ chat to Michael.

She did her best to again ignore them. When she made it into the RV, she gave another shaky breath. Her friend was right there, draping an arm around her as the car engine came to life and pulled away from the curve, forcing people to move. When they were far enough away, Lorna pulled off the fedora and sunglasses and rested the two into her lap. She leaned against Michael’s chest, staying quiet.

Michael did not mind her leaning against him. He wanted to comfort her as much as possible. While she was leaning against him, his hands found its way to her bun and pulled the hair elastic out, allowing her brown locks to fall. The movement startled her as she lifted her head and looked into his deep brown eyes. She had no idea when he removed his glasses.

“I like your hair down,” he answered.

She didn’t know what to say to that. She looked out the windshield when she observed they were approaching the mansion. She straightened herself up and looked at Michael again. “Thank you for the hat and glasses. I can see this is going to be in the news. ‘Who was that girl with Michael Jackson? Is she the new love interest?’

Michael rolled his eyes. “Why can’t the media leave people alone?”

The car stopped in front of the front doors and Michael got out. As he stepped out, he inwardly groaned, it started to rain. Taking Lorna outside was now out of the question. He helped Lorna out before venturing into the house. He had a feeling the kids were in their rooms waiting for them. He had a hold of Lorna’s hand as he walked up the stairs, after removing his coat and her coat.

It took them about 15 minutes to say good night to the children before leaving the bedrooms. Once the kids were settled, Lorna was about to go and venture towards the dining room when Michael stopped her.

“Can you come with me to the Den? I left something in there.” He kept a straight face though his eyes sparkled.

She remembered he had something up his sleeve. “Michael, you have kept me in the dark all evening. What is going on?”

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” He turned and grabbed her hand and walked towards the Den.

Lorna tried to stop herself from moving, but was failing. She could hear him giggling. “Michael Jackson!” she half fumed. “What the hell do you have planned?”

“You’ll see,” he lightly laughed.

Before long he stopped in front of the door to the Den. He soon opened the door and slowly walked in.

“Whatever you got, this had better be…” she stopped and stared at the room. “Good.” The room had some red paper hearts on the desk. In the center of the room was a small table with two chairs and a tray of food with a cover over top of it.

Lorna slowly turned to Michael who was now standing behind her. “Michael,” she breathed. “You did this?”

He nodded. “Happy Valentine’s Day. You said you never had anyone do anything for you, well now you can not say that.”

Tears came to her eyes again as she turned back to the table. “Oh Michael, it’s beautiful. You wanted me to get out so this could be done.”

He stepped forward and took her hand again. This time gently, barely touching. “Shall we sit to eat?”

The two sat down at the table and ate their meal in pleasant silent. When they finished the meal, Michael stood up and walked to the door. He partially opened it, grabbed something and then closed it again. Lorna gave him a puzzled look. What else did he have in mind? He walked back over to the table and handed her the package he picked up from out of the door.

She gave him a questionable look but slowly opened the package. It did not take her long to see that it was a set of three Antique candleholder. One of the very things she wanted to have but didn’t have the money for.

“Oh Michael,” she gasped. She looked up at him and the overwhelming urge to hug him, took over. She jumped out of her chair. She went around the table and hugged him. “You didn’t have to do that. Any of this.”

He embraced her gently. “I know, but I wanted to. You deserve something special as you are special.”

She lifted her head and looked at him in the face. She stared in his eyes. She was so close to him. She could feel his breath on her face. She was so close, she could nearly feel his lips on hers, but they were far enough away that they weren’t.

She felt her heart begin to race as her mind started to fill up with his lips on hers. Unknown to her, he was thinking the same thing. He could feel her breath on his face and he noted her heart began to race. The two were really close. Not sure what to do, and knowing that perhaps she didn’t feel the same, he took a step back. He released her waist and stepped a few more steps backwards.

Lorna wasn’t sure if she was glad his arms were not around her or missed his arms. But she did feel something for him and it was not a mutual friendship, it was becoming something more and it was happening fast. She had not felt like that in five years and it scared her.

“I hope you like your little surprise,” he said finally. “It’s not much, but it’s something that is worth while at last minute.”

Lorna nodded. “Thank you. Michael, you are a wonderful person.”

Michael looked at the clock to see it was after nine. “I’m thinking of turning in a little early. I didn’t sleep too well with that campout.”

“Neither did I actually,” she said. “What about the dishes?”

“I’ll take them to the kitchen,” he stated. “You just go up to your room, if you wish and enjoy your candleholder.”

Michael walked to her and lightly kissed her cheek. He so felt the urge to go lower. Lorna held her breath as she felt his lips against her cheek. With haste, she decided to leave the room and head to hers. His kiss was making her feel things she wasn’t sure if she should and she wanted to get away from him before he found out.