- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Please consider leaving a review or a rating if you like this chapter :) 

Chapter 24.

 

"That will be so nice for you!" I told Michael in to the phone, "it's been so long since you've seen them." I paused, trying not to seem too dejected, "But if that's the case, I might go home and hang out with my parents then if you have plans." I smiled. He sounded really excited. I was extremely swamped with homework and was stressing a little bit over an essay, but I was so happy to get Michael's call.

 

"No way!" Michael contradicted me, "They've invited you as well, silly. It's nothing formal." I was flattered to have been invited. I smiled, "Of course only if you want to." He added, making sure he wasn't dragging me along to something I had no interest in.


I remembered holding Baby Isabella in my arms and imagining how good looking her parents must have been. Social situations were still extremely hard for me, just because I was with Michael, not a lot in that aspect had changed, but I wanted it to change. In order to do that though, I had to make the effort. "Sure baby. I'd love to come." I replied as I felt my stomach knotting up.

 

"Great. I'm going to try to finish early, so what if I drop past home and pick you up at about 6, can you be ready?" He asked me sweetly. There was nothing wrong with my arms or legs, I could have easily met him there, but I did want him to come home and pick me up. I wanted to make sure he wasn't wearing the same old hideous red knit sweater, and stone-wash jeans. I wanted him to embrace the fact that there was nothing at all attractive about stone-wash jeans.

 

"Sure." I replied. It was four o'clock in the afternoon. I remembered my essay and knew that I shouldn't have been going anywhere, but I couldn't say no and besides -- I deserved a break. I had been working so hard and so had Michael. We had hardly spent any time at all together in the past few weeks.

 

"Okay sweetheart. I'm really sorry but I have to run. I have a meeting in about five minutes with my company and I'm not liking the sounds of it." He admitted, "I have a feeling they're going to try to put me on a big tour." He had expressed to me many times how much he disliked touring and how he was going to hate it much more since he'd have me back at home waiting with baited breath for his return. I knew though, that he would never admit it to me, but there was a huge part of him that loved it. He loved his fans so much, actually. He was always talking about fan encounters and meeting them and the types of wonderful things that they did for him. I liked hearing about it too, it was interesting, it was certainly nothing I would ever experience.

 

I went back to my work and tried to concentrate, but I was a little nervous and anxious as to how the night was going to go. I wondered how Michael would present me to his friends; as a friend? A girlfriend? I knew he wasn't very much in to public displays of affection, so I didn't expect him to be all over me in front of his friends like he was when it was just the two of us -- but I just hoped that his friends would like me.

 

**

 

Michael rang the intercom for me to come downstairs. He was a little bit late, but I'm sure if his friends knew him well enough they would have expected nothing less of him. I took the steps two by two until I met him at the gate. I was a little out of breath but I relaxed the moment I saw him. I was suitably impressed. He was wearing a white button down shirt and a pair of ironed black-slacks with a shiny patent leather belt. He took my breath away. He even shower-fresh and his grin showed he was ready for a fun evening.

 

"Wow!" I gave him the once, twice and three times over. "You look hot." I complimented him as I kissed him hello.

 

He chuckled as his eyes wandered over me. "But you look beautiful, so you win." I gave him a warm hug before he slipped his hand in to mine. "Come on, lets get going, we're gonna be late."

 

**

 

The ice breakers were always the worst part. I hated them. There was the air of awkwardness that surrounded first impressions. I was usually very quiet and I too would make my judgement within those few minutes. I wanted to like Kendra and Dave, as Michael had spent the past thirty minute drive talking them up. It was also very obvoius that he was smitten by their daughter, Isabella. I remembered that I had witnessed his affection toward her myself back when I had first met him. That had been over six months ago and it had been at least a month since Michael had seen his God Daughter. I wondered if she was still that sweet bundle of joy that I had held in my arms.

 

Kendra had long raven black curls and a smile that could have stolen any mans heart. Her dark complexion seemed absolutely flawless. She was possibly the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen and boy oh boy did I feel ugly. David was a good looking man too -- I mean, he was certainly no Michael, but he was certainly very easy on my eyes. They made me feel very welcome and were both very, very friendly which put me to ease a little. Michael laced his fingers through mine as they showed us to their live room. We took our shoes off and walked in on to the soft cream carpet. Michael spotted Isabella lying in the middle of the carpet on a blanket playing with toys. He broke in to a huge grin.

 

"Look who's here, baby!" David announced to his little girl. Man, she had grown. She still looked tiny, but she was much more alert and independant than the last time I had seen her. Isabella looked up from her Grover toy and grinned at Michael. He scooped her up and smothered her in kisses.

 

I watched with a big smile, my heart filling with warmth as I witnessed the happiness that emitted from him whenever he saw his God Daughter. "Look at you!" He remarked, "You're getting bigger every day." He kissed her baby cheeks while she looked up at him curiously.

 

"Isn't he sweet?" Kendra asked me. I nodded silently with a smile feeling butterflies in my tummy.

 

"Your daughter is so beautiful." I complimented them both. In return they beamed proudly and thanked me.

 

**

 

Dinner was great. Kendra had cooked up a storm and I could tell that Michael was thoroughly enjoying himself. David had a really good sense of humour and he and Michael were deep in conversation. I hadn't really ever seen him interact comfortably with anyone besides me without any air of effort. Of course he was comfortable with his Mother and pretty comfortable with both of my parents, but there was always that bit of plastic that enshrouded where he would be careful with his words -- but not with David, he was at complete ease. I knew that these people were his very best friends.

 

He was very attentive to me all through our meal. He was the perfect gentleman, he pulled out my chair for me, waited for me to begin eating before he did. I didn't expect him to be too showy with me. I didn't expect him to kiss me in front of them, not even on the cheek, or even really hold my hand or call me pet names, but he did.

 

"Baby, would you like more salad?" Michael asked me before he was about to scoop out more on to his own plate.

 

"No thank you. I'm doing just fine." I replied, letting him catch my eye so he knew I wasn't just speaking about my food. I wanted him to know that I was comfortable with his friends. My nerves were basically drying out and they were both very easy to talk to. We exchanged a little smile before turning back to our respective plates.

 

"So we're still itching to know how you met..." David piped up, glancing from Michael then to me, waiting for one of us to speak up. Michael glanced at me beside him, as if awaiting for me to tell. I felt myself blushing, remembering how I had been pretty rude to him the first few encounters.

 

"Go on." Michael nudged me with his elbow with a shy little smile, "You do the honour."

 

I gave a nervous laugh as both Kendra and David turned their attention to me. "I used to work at The Beverly Hills Hotel." I began, "And I was to take room service to Michael's room and refer to him as Mr. Pan or something ridiculous..." I laughed again because I remembered how utterly stupid I felt referring to him as Peter Pan and how he had insisted upon it at first.

 

Both David and Kendra laughed. "Oooh...." She suddenly had a brain wave, "We visited you there, didn't we Michael? Was that when your apartment was being stripped and renovated?"

 

"Yeah! You told us you were dating someone then, was that Jade?"

 

I raised an eyebrow and glanced at my beautiful, shy and embarrassed man. He finally broke in to a grin. "Yeah, but I wasn't sure about anything yet, I just had my eye on you!" He laughed, "And man, I even wrote you some creepy stalker letter."

 

Suddenly it dawned on me. I widened my eyes in shock, remembering a note that had been left for me by a hotel patron that I had thrown away after being completely creeped out. I burst out laughing, "Are you serious? You wrote me that?"

 

David and Kendra both laughed along with us. Michael hung his neck with mock guilt. "I did."

 

"Oh man, the message about coming across a lot of women and that you were drawn to me and you had been watching me? God Michael, you're lucky I didn't call the police!" I couldn't help but jibe him. He took it with good nature and laughed.


"Wow, dude, you're as subtle as a head-butt." David remarked.

 

I thought it was actually kind of sweet in hindsight that he had gone to so much effort to try to get my attention, although it did make me feel like a bitch for the way I had treated him.

 

"Yeah, but it didn't matter, cause it took a good a lot of harrassment to get Jade to even look twice at me." He explained. "And I think that impressed me just as much as everything else about her."

 

Kendra smiled, while I could feel my face burning red with embarrassment. "He didn't harrass me so much as he would find ways to call me to his room. Then when I finally gave him my number if for no other reason but to get him to leave me alone, he left me messages all the time."

 

"And you still didn't go to the press, well done." David joked. We all laughed.

 

"So how long have you been together for?"

 

I drew a blank. I wasn't the type of girl that kept count of days, weeks, months and made sure we celebrated the anniversary of our first date, kiss, conversation and all that silly shit. If I had a rough guess, it would have been about five months. Putting it into perspective made it seem like we'd been together for so long, but really it seemed like just weeks ago I had began staying at his house while he was overseas.

 

I guess the days and weeks ran in to each other and sometimes there had been awhile where he'd been traveling and we'd have to go up to two or three weeks without seeing each other. I hated those times the most. During those months I second guessed myself constantly and spent too much time thinking about what Michael could be up to, about all the beautiful fans that were probably waiting below, willing to give it up to him if only he would ask. I tried to spend a lot of time with my parents and Gaby, who by the way, still didn't know anything about Michael, except that I had a boyfriend.

 

"Six months next week if we're counting from our first real date." He supplied. What day, I wondered... I hope he didn't have any problems with me asking. I was a shitty girlfriend.

 

I smiled at him as he covered my hand with his on the table. I laced my fingers through his and let him stroke the inside of my hand with his thumb. I really loved him more than I even ever wanted to let on. He was constantly taking my breath away with his smile, his concern, his kindness, his embrace, the smell of his body and even with the gentleness that he covered me with. I was so amazed that he was never pushy or impatient with me when it came to sex in any degree. I didn't know of any single guy that would ever have been so patient with me.

 

"Wow. And you kept it from us for so long." Kendra remarked. "David and I are really happy for you both though." She smiled.

 

I decided I really liked them both. They seemed so kind-hearted and it was obvious that they cared so much for Michael.

 

**

 

After dinner I helped Kendra in the kitchen, I insisted on helping with the dishes and then preparing desert. It was a little awkward at first, but I slowly relaxed when we began talking about work and school. She was a stay at home Mom, but she was also studying to become a kindergarten teacher. I told her how I had gone back to school to finish my degree and she seemed to be quite interesting.

 

"You know..." She piped up after wiping the countertop down. "I hope this isn't awkward of me, but I'm glad Michael has found someone real." I took it as a compliment. "I hated it when he was with Brooke. I know Michael was fond of her, but she was just enjoying the publicity you know? And I've never ever seen him like this with any other girl, not even Matilda."

 

I rose my eyebrow. "Thanks Kenda. I appreciate that." I paused, wondering if I had the courage in me to blurt it out, "I really love Michael and I care about him so much. I couldn't do what Matilda went ahead and did to him."

 

Kendra fumed at the thought of his ex-girlfriend. She sighed deeply and narrowed her eyes. "That bitch had some nerve. Michael's obviously told you a lot about her, right?"

 

"Yeah." I nodded, wondering if I should leave out the fact that conversation regarding her was like trying to pull teeth. "He told me about the way he felt about her and the way she left him..."

 

"Michael is such a gentle soul, you know..." She had lowered her voice, "And he places such an importance on intimacy because of his position, and of course naturally he has to have great faith and trust in the women that he chooses to-" She stopped, wondering if she was getting too personal.

 

"I know." I prompted her, then I saw the way she looked at me, as if she were surprised, assuming Michael and I had slept together. "Oh," I laughed, "we haven't." I blushed. "Both of us have been in bad relationships and have been hurt, we don't want to rush anything at all."

 

"I wish that Matilda had of been that patient with him." She fumed, "To fool him in to trusting her enough to lose his virginity to, and then leaving him almost immediately after."

 

I felt my stomach knot up intensely and my heart sank. I couldn't believe my ears. I don't know that I'd ever felt more deceived. My smile tightened and I said nothing. I didn't want to draw any attention or cause a scene but I wanted to leave right then and there. I remembered how just a few weeks previously I had let him see me semi-naked, almost letting down enough of my guard to go the whole way with him. I remembered how I'd been so close to him that I could taste him, literally. I let him touch me, and put his lips and hands all over me and he'd fucking told me it was the first time he'd ever engaged in any level of sex, how satisfying I'd been.

 

"Is everything okay?" Kendra asked. I dropped the smile. She seemed alarmed by my sudden change of mood.

 

"Yeah. I'm fine. I just have to use the bathroom. I'll be back." I escaped pretty quickly before she had a moment to respond. I figured that she guessed something she had said had upset me, but I needed to get out of there before my eyes spilled over with tears. I felt physically ill.

 

**

 

"Um, Mike... you wanna go check on Jade? She kinda just fled to the bathroom like she was about to be sick." Kendra asked as she emerged from the kitchen. I glanced up, and passed Isabella to David. I felt concerned and headed off down the hall.

 

I knocked gently at the door. "Jade?" I questioned.

 

The only sound that could be heard was the gushing of tap water. "Jade, can I come in?" I asked, thinking perhaps that something we had eaten at dinner didn't agree with her. I tried to twist the door handle but it was securely locked. "Are you okay, sweetie?"

 

I waited for a few moments and heard the tap being turned off. She opened the door. Her face was red and her eyes were covered by a thick film of water. I was sure that she had vomited -- or that she had been crying. "Sweetie, are you alright?" I asked, going to touch her arm. She immediately flinched away.


"I need you to take me home." Her voice was strained as if she was choking back a sob. She didn't seem sad, just direct and possibly even panicked. I felt worried.

 

"Of course, but what's wrong? Are you sick?"

 

She pushed me away a little too vehemently, "I don't want you to touch me." She snapped, "Just take me home."

 

I was at a loss for what was going on. I just said nothing and lead her down the hallway hoping that she'd explain whatever it was that was bugging her on the way home. I felt a little embarrassed, "Guys, Jade isn't feeling well... I'm really sorry but we have to go."

 

"Oh no..." Kendra frowned, "I hope it wasn't the food."

 

"I'm sure it wasn't." Jade replied in a barely audible voice. "I'm really sorry." She added, "I appreciated your hospitality."

 

"Sure thing. Go home and get some rest, and both of you be sure to keep in touch." Dave replied. He gave me a hand shake and awkwardly mulled over giving Jade a hug. I kissed baby Isa and Kendra good bye. Jade and I saw ourselves out.

 

I was shocked, my mind was reeling and I had no utter clue what was going on. I fastened my safety belt and sat beside her in silence. I turned on the ignition and waited for her to say something. She didn't.

 

"Are you okay? Do you feel sick?" I wondered what on earth could have happened. I figured that perhaps Kendra said something upset her. "Was something said to you?"

 

Jade started to cry and honestly? My heart began to hurt. I knew something bad had happened but she wasn't really giving me any information. I felt so helpless. It wasn't just a soft cry but the tears were really falling down her face. We drove in silence for a few minutes until I couldn't take it anymore. I pulled over on the side of the road and pulled off my safety belt. "Baby, please..."

 

"You lied to me!" She snapped through her tears. I was confused. I had never lied to her and I never would.

 

I shook my head, "No, Jade. I haven't lied to you. I promise." I went to put an arm around her but she pushed me away again.

 

"I don't ever want you to touch me. I thought you were different. You're a fucking liar." Her voice was still soft, but her anger was so strong. I had no idea where on Earth she it had all came from.

 

"What's going on, Jade?" I asked her, exasperated, "I haven't ever lied to you! I promise, just tell me why you think that I have and we can work this out."

 

"No!" She shouted at me, "I thought you were different Michael." She wiped her eyes, "I've never had sex before." She mimicked me, "You're a fucking liar, Michael Jackson, I should have known. You're all the fucking same, all of you."

 

I was speechless. I tried to remain calm but I hated the idea of her thinking I was guilty of something that I wasn't. "Jade, I have never slept with anyone before. I have not had sex at all with anyone else. Why the hell would I lie about something like that?" I wanted to know. "Just... calm down. I'm sure we can work this out." I reached for her hand, attempting to make a truce, but she blocked my touch.

 

"I said, don't touch me!" She slapped her hand across my face. "I'm not some stupid little bitch who you can just lie to, treat like shit and toss aside once you've had your fucking way with her! I'll never be that fucking stupid again."

 

I was shocked. I held my face where she had slapped me. I hadn't felt anger toward Jade ever, but at that moment, it was rising up. My cheek stang and I couldn't believe she had struck me so hard. I knew that she had to have been scared to have defended herself but I didn't care. We had so many talks about Aaron's violence toward her, and here she was raising her hands.

 

"Fine. You know what? I don't even care. You're a hypocrite Jade, you know that?" I asked as I put my foot to the pedal. "You always go on about how fucking much your boyfriend hurt you, how he turned to violence, and here you are raising your hands at me like a five year old."

 

"Don't you ever talk to me about Aaron. You're just as much of a piece of scum as he is."

 

Yeah, that one really hurt. I clenched the wheel tightly with both hands and ground my teeth. "How dare you." I spat, "Before you shoot your freaking mouth off, lady, you owe me an explanation and until you do that, I want nothing to do with you."

 

"Fuck you, Michael." Jade replied. I felt so bad, my own eyes were welling up with tears and I wasn't too proud to let them fall down my face. I loved Jade. I loved her so much and it hurt me to know she was hurting, even if it wasn't my fault. It hurt me that she was harbouring so much animosity. I wished I knew why. "Kendra told me all the fuck about it, how Matilda had left you right after you lost your virginity to her. You're a fucking dirty liar. Did you think you'd get me in to bed faster by playing the sweet virgin boy act?"

 

I suddenly felt very stupid.

 

I didn't know why I just hadn't been truthful to begin with. The male ego was sometimes really incomprehensible. I said nothing and continued to drive us back to my place.

 

"I want you to take me to my house." She told me after we'd driven in silence for a little while. She'd been sitting beside me, crying softly. And now I felt like an asshole. Lying only ever came back to bite me in the ass.

 

"I want you to just hear me out. If you hear me out and you still want to leave me, then I'll understand, but I promise that I can explain and I promise you that it wasn't you that I lied to."

 

Jade said nothing and part of me felt as though perhaps she had calmed down. I took her silence as agreement, but she replied with a fresh flood of new tears. "I can't do this, Michael-- It's too hard, I don't want to feel like this, I love you but it's too difficult."

 

I shamelessly wiped my own eyes. I felt like she was about to completely break it off. And if she did, it would be justified. It was all my own stupid fault. "I love you too and I don't want to feel like this either." I couldn't stress it enough, I spoke almost as if I were begging her. "But the fact that I love you so much gives me the strength to not give up when we wrong each other."

 

"I haven't ever wronged you. All I did is give you my heart and asked you not to break it." She replied in the softest tone.

 

She certainly had me there.

 

I always made the vow that when it came to the ones I loved so dearly that I would never let the sun set upon an argument, but it didn't seem like there was going to be a way around this one. I took a left and exited the 101. I was just going to take her home. I needed to give her her space. Even if right then I were to tell her the truth she probably wouldn't have believed me.

 

I hadn't seen her place for a really long time. It was rare that she slept at her own house, or even went there for anything. I looked up at her apartment complex and felt sad that she was going to be alone for the night. I wiped my eyes. I was over-emotional. We both were, and I was still at a loss as to how such an incredibly small misunderstanding could have been blown so far out of proportion.

 

I stopped outside the complex and unlocked the car door. For some reason I stopped my car. She was about to open the door and leave but she turned back to me and saw that I was crying. I knew she was surprised. "Jade wait..." I stopped her as she was about to turn away.

 

She paused but didn't turn back around to look at me.

 

I drew in a deep breath, "I know how it all must seem -- but I promise that there's a perfectly reasonable explanation. I know right now you probably don't want to hear it, but I would never and have never lied to you about a single thing, including when I told you that I was a virgin. I am still a virgin and the only other person I've done anything more than kiss with, is you. I swear it on everything."

 

I saw her shoulders slump a little bit and felt like maybe I was getting through to her. Jade was so stubborn though. She just opened the car door and turned around to me giving me one last look. "Please don't give up on us." I added as a feeble effort to get through to her.

 

"Okay..." She replied in the same kind of feeble whisper.

 

"I'll call you in the morning." I promised. "Answer my call... k?"

 

Jade nodded and closed the door. She turned away from me. I watched after her and made sure that she got inside safely. I only hoped that she really understood that I was being sincere.