- Text Size +

June 2nd 1986 - 10:00 am

I raised my head above my arms as I feel heating rays on me. The sun was up. It was a brand new day. It didn't feel like a new day since I haven't slept at all, last night. My make up was all messed up, & I already had bags under my eyes. I had a worn out look already. Like I've been homeless. Goodness, what am I going to do for June 8th? Quincy & Michael can't see me looking like this! They'd so decline me, even if they were thinking about taking me, who wants a girl who smells like she hasn't taken a shower…ever, hasn't combed her hair, or even changed her clothes in a week on their label? I'd decline her too. The odds were turning against me so quickly. I give up, why bother even showing up? They'll rudely send me out the door anyways.

I am walking into this café to buy some coffee & a apple. Since I have $50 on me, I can still buy food for today. Not sure about the other days. But I guess, I'll just…..take each day as it comes I guess. I go up to the cashier & brought my breakfast then begin walking to a table. As I walk I feel a little…I don't know…A little….sleepy. I should close my eyes just for a moment…..just a blink. I close my eyes & I feel a sense of comfortableness & numbness…whatever it was it felt like ecstasy, I do not want to open my eyes at the moment.

'Bang!'

I wake up, & I'm on this…..bed in this small room…Where am I? what happened to me? I look down under me & I see I have this, robe on. What the fuck is this? Did someone poison me & slept with me?

"Hello, dear." An anonymous woman greets me.

"Hi, um, who the hell are you?"

"I'm Ayana, you fainted at the café shop you were at so I just took you home. Looks like you fell into a really deep sleep, your in a robe because your coffee spilled all over you so I just put you in a robe your clothes are in a washing machine."

"Oh…I…..I fainted?"

"Or just fell asleep."

"Oh…I am so very sorry for being rude to you my dear. I thought you were some mastermind trying to rape me."

"No, no. I figured, you probably thought I was going to hurt you. But I'm not I just wanted to help."

"Oh, okay. Thank you."

"So, what's your name?"

"I'm Kitty. Nice to meet you."

"Kitty? Aw that's so adorable! Nice to meet you too."

"Thank you."

"um, A question I want to ask, I hope you don't mind but, Kitty, you look so worn & turn out like you've been through so much. Tell me what exactly happened to you….if you don't mind."

"I'm okay…." I lied, I just met her, I can't just spill my whole life to her after just 5 minutes. I'm too private for that, even though I feel I do need someone to talk to but…..Still.

"Are you sure?"

"Just…been tired."

"Well you got allot of rest today, you had like 10 hours."

"10 hours? What the…..I've been asleep for so long?"

"Yeah, that's just how tired you were, when you fell asleep, it was 10 in the morning now it's 10 pm at night."

"Oh my….Sorry if I ruined any of your daily plans."

"No I had nothing going on."

"Okay."

"Wait a minute, I think your clothes are dried now."

Ayana, walks out of the room & out of the house, & takes the clothes off from hanging outside & brought them back inside, into the bedroom.

"So here are your clothes Kitty, I'll leave you alone so you can change."

She left the room & closed it behind her. Wait….I should take a shower before going into these clothes. But, what if she won't let me use her shower? Maybe I should stay over to, it's 10 pm, Gosh knows where in California I am. I don't want to go to a shelter & this girl seems nice, I should ask. I walked out the room looking for her, in this rather small & packed up house.

"Ayana,"

She appears in front of me & says "Hey, why aren't you getting dressed?"

"Just wondered….I hope you don't find it inconsiderate but can I take a shower here & eat here? & sleep over here for awhile? I've been homeless since yesterday, & I spent my night in a alley. I haven't taken a shower since yesterday either, so, may I please just stay for the time being. Please…"

"Aw, dear I would keep you here as long as you need to if I could. But I live with my parents, & they didn't even want you here in the first place & they've been irritating me with you here so, I don't want you to get into any rifts with them. But jeez your without a home, my Goodness. I can't even imagine what your going through, I don't live in the greatest part of town, but at least I have a roof over my head so I can be thankful for that. But you don't at all, I feel terrible for being unable to keep you here."

"Oh it's okay. At least you kept me here for awhile."

"Yeah, so you can take your shower & have some of dinner. After that I can't let you stay any longer."

"Oh okay, thank you. Where's the bathroom?"

"To your left."

"Oh, thanks."

"Your welcome."

I opened the door into the bathroom & walked in, undressed myself & took my shower, finished taking it & put on the same clothes from yesterday. Wow…It feels so awkward being in the same clothes. I hope Quincy & Michael won't see me in the same clothes I auditioned in. How embarrassing!

I walk outside the bathroom as Ayana, calls out to me "Kitty! Your dinner is ready!"

I walk to where I heard her voice & I walk into a small kitchen where Ayana is sitting at the table waiting for me. There at the table I saw fried chicken leg & collar greens. I sit down right in front of her. & said

"Fried Chicken? I haven't had that in a long while." & I started to eat my dinner.

"Oh you don't like it very much?"

"it's okay. I don't eat meat very much."

"Vegetarian?"

"Well, people consider me one, but I don't consider myself one."

"Why not?"

"Because I still eat seafood, that means I still eat meat. So yeah not exactly a vegetarian."

"Oh, trying to become a vegetarian?"

"Somewhat…..I'm going slow with it."

"I see."

"So…were in the hood, right?"

"Yeah Compton, how'd you know?"

"I grew up in the hood, I just know I'm there when I am. Different atmosphere then when your around the rich areas."

"Really you did? I could have thought you were one of those rich girls, who are next door neighbors to, the big stars."

"Oh no far from it. What made you think I'm rich?"

"Your clothes, the expensive leather jacket."

"Oh, that, I had a rich boyfriend who brought it for me."

"Oh, lucky. So where's the boyfriend now?"

"With his baby mother, together."

"Oh….sorry for bringing it up."

"Eh, it's okay."

I am finished eating my food. I get up off my chair & take up the plate, about to put it in the sink.

"No, I'll do that for you. Leave it on the table."

"Okay, thanks." I smiled & put the plate back down on the table.

"Before you go I have something I want to give you."

She walks into her living room & I follow. She picks up something but I can't really see it. She turns around to me, & there's a small framed picture of Michael in her hand & she hands it out to me.

"I see you're a big fan so, here let it be your company."

I can't take that…..Can't take that at all. I feel like I have taken allot from Ayana already.

"How'd you know I'm a fan?"

"When I checked the pockets of your clothes, All of these tiny Michael pictures were in them. So I just thought, you should have this frame, keep it for company."

"Aw, Ayana, this is just too sweet. But…I don't think it could fit in my purse & I need to put it in my purse just so it doesn't get stolen."

"Oh Dear, it can." She opens my purse & places the frame in there.

"Oh…well, what about your parents, I don't think they'd appreciate me taking framed pictures from the house. Would they?"

"Kitty, look around there's framed pictures of famous people all over. They can't even keep track of what they have. So if one goes missing they won't even notice. We have more Michael ones. You can keep that one."

"Ayana, I can't do this…..I feel like I'm just taking everything away from you."

"No, your not taking anything away from me, I'm just giving you everything you need before I just let you go out there."

"Aw, well thanks."

We hug & she says "No Problem girl. Let me walk you to the door now, it's 12 am."

"I don't feel tired at all. I wonder what I am going to do now."

"I guess walk around, go look for any shelters around or something. I'm sure there's one open right now for you to stay in."

"If their not packed."

"Just keep looking."

We walk to her front door as I look outside & I see a bunch of drug dealers in front of the house doing their duties.

"Well, Thanks for having me here. I hope we can see each other again someday, soon."

"I hope we can too."

We hug one more time, really tightly. & Ayana says "Take care dear, I'll keep you in my prayers."

"Thank you."

"So, goodbye."

"Bye."

Ayana closed the door, & I walked away. I need to keep this girl's address just incase of anything, I'll have someone to come to. If I'll be anywhere near Compton in the future. Hopefully near future so she won't forget me. I went into my purse & look for a plain piece of paper & write it down. I finished writing it so, I put the paper back in my purse & begin walking. Something tells me, even though it's 12 am. My night was far from over & I don't consider it a good thing.