- Text Size +
My alarm blasted once more like it does every morning I drug my arm up to hit the snooze button for some extra time. In doing so I fell completely off the bed and hit with a loud thud! Sam sprung up half conscious just as I got up from the floor. I kept muttering “I’m okay” and let out a huge groan. Trudging down the hall, looking like I’d just survived a tornado, I reached the kitchen to poor me a cup of salvation (aka: coffee).

As I was taking the first sip Sam walked in yawning just as I had moments before. “Where do you work?” he asked out of the blue. It took me a minute to grasp what he’d asked since it was such a random question and was extremely tired. “I work at a costume shop in China Town” I replied groggily taking another sip. He yawned, “That’s cool”. I rolled my eyes at the fact that he had no idea the level of boredom he was about to experience. We got dressed and headed out to the shop. I hailed a taxi considering the circumstances of this morning and my inability to walk more than five steps without stumbling somewhat. The taxi pulled over and this time the inside was pretty decent, but like I said it’s a New York City taxi. Luckily today was going to be pretty warm according to weather predictions. Sam stared groggily out the cab window and gradually began to doze off.

I checked my watch which read eleven am and to me this was still pretty early. Because of the traffic we arrived at the store in about thirty minutes. I leaned over to Sam and whispered, “Wake up sleepy head, we’re here”. He rubbed his eyes and grunted a little, trying to wake up. Reaching forward I paid the driver and slid out of the car with Sam following me. Once the cab pulled off I grabbed Sam’s hand and we entered the store. The door bell chimed as we made our way inside. “Hello? Anybody home?” I yelled to the back. I heard a loud clang then some muttered profanity. I silently chuckled to myself as Sam’s face went from boredom to troubled. I gently nudged him and smiled to give reassurance.
Mrs. Chung walked out from behind the curtain that was placed up to separate the storage room from the actual store. “Yeah, I’m here”, She replied. I stepped forward and ushered Sam to follow so that I could introduce them. “ Mrs. Chung, Sam. Sam, Mrs. Chung”. She looked at him for a moment than sighed, “So I guess this means I’m gonna have to find you some work around here to do”. Sam looked to me then back to Mrs. Chung, “Yes ma’m”, he replied. “Well at least you have manners”, she replied with relief, “so many children these lack that characteristic. Follow me to the back”.
As Sam trailed behind her I assumed my everyday position, the front desk. Glamorous I know ,but that’s my job. After about thirty minutes of absolutely nothing Sam emerged from the back with a box and Mrs. Chung following. “I want you to re-stock this entire shelf. Everything you need is in this box”, with that Mrs. Chung turned and went back behind the curtain. I glanced at Sam while smiling, “How are doing’?” He turned his head slowly and gave me a irritated look. I couldn’t help but chuckle as he turned back and began stocking the shelf. I began picking up some old magazines to read in an effort to pass the ever long time that I had left. After about forty minutes I heard the bell on the door ring which meant someone was entering. I looked up from the article about teen drinking to see a small girl standing in the doorway. She was wearing nothing but black and covered with studs, spikes, and other sharp objects.
I caught Sam’s eye and ushered for him to go to the back as it wasn’t professional to have him there at that time. “Can I help you”? I asked. She turned her head slowly, “No”. “Well let me know if I can”, I replied. She paced the store silently and after twenty minutes she approached the counter with some makeup, jewelry, and hair color. I rang it up, “That’ll be $15.50.” She pulled a twenty out of her pocket and told me to keep the change as she exited the store. “That was freaky”, I thought out loud.