- Text Size +

 

*knock knock knock*

Letting out an exasperated sigh, my silver charm bracelet jingled against my skin as I lifted my arms up to move my hair behind my shoulders.

Where was he?

Curiously I knocked again, and then glanced down both ends of the hallway. Not seeing anything or anyone coming down from either end and after being told he was here by his assistant, I pursed my lips together in frustration and tapped my silver pumps quickly against the light green tile.

 

"Michael where are you?" I whispered under my breath, rolling my eyes to the ceiling.

Arriving at the shoot a few minutes early I had decided to pop in and say hello to Michael before heading over and meeting up with Brooke.

Deciding to try one more time I knocked and pressed my ear against the door to see if I heard any movement.


"Shhh, she'll hear you."

She'll what?? Who was in there?

My eyebrows shot up, and quickly I jerked my head back away from the door, dumbfounded.

What was that supposed to mean?


Tapping my foot impatiently, tendrils of hair fell back over my eyes as I struggled with my skinny jean capris.  Finally getting the phone to budge I flipped it open and shot Brooke a quick text that i'd be a few minutes longer.  That done, i dialed Michael's number to see if he'd pick up.

"Thriller......thrilllller nights."

Well, he was definetly in there.

Rolling my eyes, I grinned hearing the ringtone to Michael's cell phone going off.

Seriously, who used their own song for a ringtone?

"...Hello?"

"Michael?"

Shooting my gaze to the door, I listened as some very loud shuffling happened on the other end and I shifted the cell phone to my ear.

"Hey, what's going on?" I blew out a frustrated breath and bit my lip.  "I'm here at your dressing room and..."

"Lexi" Michael interrupted.  "I'll meet you in the lobby in fifteen okay?"

Quickly being cut off, I opened my mouth to reply when I heard a click and a dial tone.  Giving the door another cursory glance I shrugged and stuck my phone back in my purse.

This...was weird. 

Forcing myself to jump to conclusions, I sent Brooke another text asking for a rain check and decided to meet Michael in the lobby and see if he offered an explanation.

Straightening my shouldes, i headed to the hallway.

________________________________________________________________________

Two hours later

"Aunnnnnnt Lele!!!!"

My heart leaping in my chest, I grinned seeing my beautiful niece racing down the ramp from the restaurant and bent down to swoop her up into my arms.

"Hey gorgeous."

Planting a kiss on her cheek, sticky fingers dug into my hair and Nahla's legs wrapped tightly around my torso as I spotted Janet making her way from inside.  Feeling Michael's hand slide against the small of my back, I glanced up at him and smiled tenatively.

"Thanks for waiting for me so long Lex."

"No problem."

Except that you hadn't offered an explanation.

Michael's fingers trailed from my back to my waist, and I felt him tug me gently against me as he planted a kiss on my head.

"EWW Uncle Mike that's so GROSS."
"Gross is it?"

Michael was acting like nothing had happened.  Dying to ask him what was going on, up until now I had resisted because I was trying to trust him enough to believe he had a legitimite reason for everything that had happened this morning..including the photographs.  Deciding to call up Janet and Nahla and ask them if they wanted to meet us for lunch Michael had returned to the shoot until he was able to leave and we had headed over to the restaurant together.

Hopefully he'd tell me what was going on on his own. Until then I was going to try to force it from my mind and move on.

 Glancing over at Michael I noticed a couple of tendrils of hair peaking out from his cap and I reached up to tuck them underneath as Michael leaned forward to pester his niece.

"I'll show you, ya little runt."

The wails of sirens and the honking of impatient taxis blended with the ensuing  giggles as Michael leaned in to tickle her with his free hand.

"Leave it to Uncle Mike to get her riled up an hour or so before naptime."

Michael glanced up at his sister and grinned.  "Anytime."

Janet rolled her eyes and turned to look at me.

"How was your trip this morning?"

Janet grimaced. "Typical."


Concerned, I glanced over at Nahla and whispered.  "We'll talk later, ok?"

The lines of tension in Janet's face relaxed and she smiled softly. "Okay."

"Now.  Who's going to lead us into the restaurant to feed this little monster in my arms?"

Janet chuckled, and Michael leaned in and brushed a kiss against her cheek before ushering us forward.

"So Michael...what did you do today?"

Janet's question was harmless enough, but my heart pounded in my chest remembering the odd situation I had found him in earlier this morning.  Glancing at Michael out of the corner of my eye, I waited for his response as we moved towards the restaurant entryway.

"Uhh..."  Michael's eyes grew serious, and reaching up to rub the back of his neck Michael shifted uncomfortably.

"Business stuff. You know."

A chill made me clasp my jacket tighter to my body.  Looking over at Janet, I watched her tap her dark brown boots against the sidewalk in an effort to get some mud off her shoes and I admired the light brown highlights she had placed in her hair.

"Your hair looks beautiful." I smiled, forcing myself to change the topic.

"Thanks Lex."

A large clatter erupted from the other end of the doorway as Michael stepped forward to let us in.  Peaking inside for the noise I soaked up the environment, and silently wondered if the food would be as good as the atmosphere.

Everything was perfect.  Well, would be perfect if I could get Michael to talk about what was going on.

The small formal dining room decorated in light blues and golds, I felt the warmth of the large brick fireplace near the entryway as soon as we walked in.  Glancing about the room I inhaled the scent of bread baking.

"Where did you hear of this place?"

Turning slightly on my heel, I looked over at Michael curiously and frowned when I saw that he had pulled his phone out of his jacket and was texting furiously.  Tilting my head slightly, curiosity got the best of me and I leaned forward slightly to peak over at his phone.

"Who is it?"

"Whoah!"

Michael jumped back, startled.  Swallowing a lump in his throat Michael's eyes were wide as he quickly moved his phone out of my reach and jerked it in his pocket. 

"Uhh, Lexi....i'll be right back okay?"

Michael spun around on his heel, and my mouth opened slightly in surprise as he slipped through the front door and pulled his cell phone out of his pocket.

"What has gotten into him?"

Janet's question only increased my frustration.  Shrugging my shoulders helplessly I watched him go. 

"I don't know...."